The SMK 100 by Cheryl
Categories: Scarecrow and Mrs. King Characters: Amanda King, Lee Stetson
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 10975 Read: 27706 Published: 23/10/10 Updated: 23/10/10
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Notes: These drabbles were written in response to a challenge issued by Lushy. One writer, 100 themes. The stories can be one shot for each theme or carry
the story through all 100 topics. The words for the challenge have been capitalized.

Thanks: To Jennifer, Sue and Lynda for helping put words to episodes and brainstorming ideas. Also to Jennifer for betaing to make sure I didn’t make any huge errors.

1. Season One by Cheryl

2. Season Two by Cheryl

3. Season Three by Cheryl

4. Season Four by Cheryl

5. February 13, 1988 by Cheryl

6. Twenty Years Later by Cheryl

Season One by Cheryl
The SMK 100

Season One

Introduction – The First Time - 1/1

His INTRODUCTION had been unorthodox to say the least. In fact, he didn’t introduce himself at all.

“Just walk with me,” he said. He’s in trouble. He handed me a package and asked me to get on the train and give it to the man in the red hat.

I looked into his eyes. He looked so lost. I couldn’t say no.

Then several men tackled him, he really was in trouble.

I tried to do what he told me. But there were twenty-five men with red hats on the train.

I’ll just keep this package for the time being.

Blood – There Goes the Neighborhood – 1/2

Amanda placed the vase of flowers on the coffee table.

She began to straighten the pillows on the couch. She noticed one of the cushions looked a little worse for wear. Maybe the other side would be nicer. She picked it up and turned it over.

She noticed a black mark on it. “Cigarette burn?”

“No.” Lee shook his head. “Bullet hole.”

He explained the furniture had been used before.

The doorbell rang. She handed Lee the cushion and told him to turn the bullet hole towards the sofa and went to answer the door.

At least it wasn’t BLOOD.

Gray - If Thoughts Could Kill – 1/3

He couldn’t figure it out; he took the sedative like a good patient. But he woke up feeling more wasted than before he’d slept.

It really wasn’t the lack of sleep that concerned him. It was the dreams.

No dream.

It always started the same. He’d have this sinking feeling, then GRAY walls would flash by. Squeaks and thumps pounded in his ears. He’d feel hot and steamy. Like the jungle.

All he had to do was play the good agent for a little while longer, then he could go home and get a decent rest.

God he hated hospitals.

No Time – The Magic Bus – 1/4

She had NO TIME to think. She did whatever it took to get them out of the situation.

Lee had been shot. The bad guys were all around them. She drove like a maniac hoping to outrun them.

Then the ones who were supposed to come to their rescue were shooting at them.

After what seemed like ages, they were no longer in danger of blowing themselves or anything else up.

Her work was not bad, then his legs were still just okay.

Next time anyone wanted to park a vehicle in her driveway she would tell them absolutely not.

Trouble Lurking – The ACM Kid – 1/5

Lee sat in his car watching the giant panda sitting on the porch.

He knew Alexi would be TROUBLE LURKING the moment he met him, hell the kid tried to escape the first chance he’d gotten.

Over time he found Alexi and he weren’t that different. Maybe that’s why they’d clashed. They were two peas in a pod. Encasing themselves in hard shells that couldn’t be broken.

A moment later the door opened and Amanda came outside. She hugged the bear. As he drove off, he saw her look up and felt a ripple in the hard shell around him.

STANDING STILL – Always Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth – 1/6

Lee Stetson is insufferable.

He wants to hold a conversation with me, but I can’t look at him when we talk. Can’t turn my head, can’t do anything. I’m just STANDING STILL acting like I’m doing nothing while he talks to me from wherever. I must’ve looked like a total fool. And he does the same thing to me later while I ate Chili. Mine is better by the way. I’m still astounded that Penny could think that he and I were having a thing.

No way.

I could never be attracted to a playboy like him.

Never.

Could I?

Breathe Again – Service Above and Beyond – 1/7

He carried me. Amanda closed the door and leaned against it.

It was like she’d been in a fairy tale. She’d really felt like Cinderella, even though Lee had joked about it when she’d returned from her date with Delano. A beautiful home. Gorgeous clothes. Expensive jewelry. A life of luxury.

Then the dream had turned into a nightmare. She’d been drugged. She closed her eyes.

Lee had come to her rescue, her knight in shining armor. She held her breath. He carried her. That almost sounded romantic. Nah not him.

You can BREATHE AGAIN. The dishes and fractions are waiting.

Misfortune – Saved by the Bells – 1/8

The day of my MISFORTUNE began when Lee called me to take care of a sick friend. A fish named Melvin. I can’t believe that man.

Next thing I knew, I’d been kidnapped and mistaken for the Scarecrow. I tried to tell them I wasn’t. They didn’t believe me.

They were going to kill me. I’d never been so scared.

Thankfully, Lee rescued me. Afterwards I cried as he comforted and hugged me.

Then I found out he’d been accused of treason.

I had to help him clear his name. He did it for me. Me! To save my life!

Kick in the Head – Sudden Death – 1/9

I searched Crandell’s office and found a suspicious football play. I took a photograph of it and handed Amanda the film to take back to the Agency.

I heard the coach screaming my name. I needed a diversion.

I did the first thing that came to me. I grabbed her and my lips met hers.

What in the world had I been thinking?

I kissed her.

Amanda King!

Did I get a KICK IN THE HEAD during practice?

I’m stunned. I enjoyed it, even though I pretended I didn’t.

But I won’t let it happen again. She’s not my type.

DRINK - The Long Christmas Eve – 1/10

I’m spending Christmas in a nest of spies and intrigue and with Amanda King.

I have to admit it is better than how I usually spend the holiday.

Normally, I spend it sitting on my living room couch, with a large bowl of guacamole dip, a perfectly chilled bottle of Dom Perignon '73, and a good football game.

Amanda arranged a miracle. A truce in the spirit of the season.

Now I’m sitting here with a gunshot wound, eating herring, beans and singing Christmas carols. The meal tastes better when I’m offered a DRINK of vodka. I’d rather have champagne.

Dark – Remembrance of Things Past – 1/11

I never thought this would happen. I knew it could and because it has I’m in a very DARK place.

Do I have what it takes to continue on this path?

Do I want to?

He told me not to get involved, that the hardest part about this line of work was separating your feelings.

No wonder he seemed so emotionless to me at times. It was the only way to survive in this crazy line of work.

The veil of darkness around me is gone. Lifted when I saw Lee alive and well and standing in my living room.

Abandoned – Lost and Found – 1/12

For years afterwards I always thought what if.

What if she’d chosen me?

Had she loved me?

Our relationship may have started due to an assignment but had quickly escalated into romance. At least I’d thought it had.

Now I see she was only using me.

She was the one I let into my heart after Dorothy’s death. Twice burned in love. I won’t make that mistake again.

It’s over.

Over.

Really over.

I don’t have that ABANDONED feeling lurking in a corner of my heart anymore. Maybe one day I’ll let a woman touch my heart that deeply again.

Memory – I Am Not Now, Nor Have I Ever Been A Spy – 1/13

He said he was intelligence operative.

I said he was a spy.

He didn’t care for that word. Then to top it off he said I was a spy too! But a trainee spy.

Was that supposed to make me feel better?

A car accident caused my partial amnesia. Some things and people I remembered. This man standing in front of me wasn’t one of them.

He asked me to trust him. When he said those words a MEMORY of him saying the exact same thing to me flashed in my mind.

I’d trusted him then. I’ll trust him now.

Eyes – Dead Ringer – 1/14

Amanda brushed her hair contemplating her response to Magda’s question about Lee being attractive.

She’d replied with a ramble about the man she worked with. He has nice hair. He’s tall. Has a straight nose and beautiful EYES. Pretty eyes.

Speaking of eyes she looked closer into the mirror. Were hers a little red?

Achoo!

She grabbed a tissue. Oh dear, mother was right and she’d caught a cold.

Even though she and Lee sniffled and sneezed throughout the evening, she had a great time. The knowledge that Magda had the same cold also, made it an evening to remember.

Insanity – The Mole – 1/15

A Bomber father!

He shivered at the memory of Amanda handing him the baseball cap. Like he would put it on.

Then she called him stuffy, far from it. His idea of fun wasn’t a day at the park watching a bunch of kids play baseball. Fun was spending a week skiing in the Swiss Alps, gambling in Monte Carlo, snorkeling in the Caribbean, lying on the beach next to a sexy woman.

It was INSANITY to think that he would ever be a Bomber father. He was not and he did not ever intend to be one.

Never.

Ever.

Illusion – Savior – 1/16

I had to make Amanda believe I’d quit the Agency.

She tried her best to convince me I’d made the worst mistake in the world. That I had tons of different options that didn’t involve doing anything illegal. I couldn’t tell her it was an ILLUSION. My assignment.

Then they had to drag her into the picture and have her hauling a live bomb around.

Once again she came up with an unorthodox way to save the day.

A pin.

The things the average housewife carries around in her purse are amazing.

I think the Bombers are growing on me.

Pain – The Artful Dodger – 1/17

I can’t believe Amanda accepted a concubine ring with a listening device hidden inside. Well she didn’t know about that part.

Amanda is not the type to be a kept woman and that’s what that ring symbolized, no matter how many times she referred to it as a friendship ring.

The PAIN was worth it. I won’t let her be treated that way by insensitive jerks that want to use her.

I’ll have to keep a closer eye on her. She’s too nice for her own good sometimes.

Damn my jaw hurts. At least I still have all my teeth.

Drive – Filming Raul – 1/18

He jumped up to chase the kidnappers; immediately I saw his keys that he left behind on the table.

Did he think he could catch them on foot?

How could I stay put?

I hurried to his car and started it. I tried to shift the gears. They made an awful grinding sound. In a jerking motion the car moved forward.

When I stopped to pick up Lee, I ground the gears so badly he yelled at me about stripping them.

Then the engine died.

I don’t know how to DRIVE a stick shift. I think I need to learn.

Magic – Fearless Dotty – 1/19

I’d given up ever finding Captain Galaxy for Phillip. The stores were sold out.

All Lee had to do was wave his MAGIC wand and one miraculously appeared. Well according to him he contacted the manufacturer in Taiwan. Had it sent to the naval air station in Guam, then an air force transport brought it here, where he picked it up and brought it to me, all in time for the party.

Plus, he complimented me telling me that using the hose and sprinkler were sparks of genius. Okay he didn’t say those exact words, but the meaning was there.

Drowning – Weekend – 1/20

I’m DROWNING in a sea of romance. All because Mrs. Craddock thinks Amanda and I are newlyweds.

Marriage is not in my future. No way.

Now I have to play the lovey dovey role, a husband who is madly in love with his wife whenever we see the older couple. It seems like we’re always running into them. Each time we do Mrs. Craddock gets a wistful smile on her face and says how romantic it is to be young and in love.

I don’t have time for this. I need to figure out who is going to be kidnapped.

I Can’t – Waiting for Godorsky 1/21

I did it again. I CAN’T remember the password of the day. I’m always forgetting. Why do they have to change it every day? Why not every week?

At least I can be proud of my attention to detail in transcribing phone conversations. If I hadn’t mentioned the slurper, clicking noise and other things in the background that most would overlook, Princess Valosky would’ve been assassinated.

At the medal ceremony Godorsky took the Princess’ hand and kissed it. I could tell they were in love. I hope one day a man will look at me with love in his eyes.
Season Two by Cheryl
Season Two

Danger Ahead – To Catch a Mongoose – 2/1

I should’ve known my trip to London would be filled with DANGER AHEAD. It started out with me picking up the wrong suitcase at the airport.

I didn’t believe my high school friend Connie was the ruthless killer known as the Mongoose.

The real Mongoose was captured and Connie vindicated. The expression on Lee’s face was priceless when I told him I wanted to have tea at the palace, where I belong. He did take me to ‘The Palace,’ a quaint tea shop for a proper British tea.

Now if only the airline would find out who has my luggage?

Vacation – The Times They Are A Changin’ – 2/2

It wasn’t luck that made me pick that coffee can and win a free trip for my family to Munich. It was the Agency.

I didn’t find out until after we arrived and I’d seen Lee, that they had arranged it. I hadn’t won anything. The box boy switched the cans under the counter when mine rolled under it. Sneaky.

Looks can be deceiving anyone you know could be a spy, a neighborhood clerk in the grocery store, a mechanic or even a suburban mother of two.

I wonder if I can have them arrange a free VACATION to Florida?

Broken Pieces – Double Agent – 2/3

My life is crumbling into a million BROKEN PIECES. If I can’t convince the author to change his book, my world will be destroyed. We’d have to change our name. My family would be uprooted. I like my life.

I’d never see Lee again. Some days I wouldn’t mind, he can be insufferable at times. Other times… I’ve learned a lot from him and I enjoy working for the Agency. We are partners, of course, he won’t admit it, but we are.

He needs me. All I can hope for is some day in the future he’ll see the light.

Foreign – Legend of Das Geisterschloss – 2/4

First London, then Munich, now Salzburg. I’m becoming an expert in FOREIGN travel.

Did Lee have dreams of being Butch Cassidy? I’m certainly not Sundance.

Was he insane? Jump? Glad I’m a good swimmer.

Emily is safe and sound and she surprised us with a souvenir drawing of Lee and I as a remembrance of our trip. She even hid letters throughout the sketch.

Lee said I could keep it, but I told him he’d have to store it at his apartment. If mother found it, I wouldn’t know what to tell her. She’d get all kinds of wrong ideas.

Seeing Red – Charity Begins at Home – 2/5

I’m still SEEING RED. Out of all the cars they had to choose from why did they have to take mine!

I watched it go up in a blaze of glory, my stomach jumped into my throat.

As I told Amanda you don’t love a car, but you can sure become attached.

Time to car shop. A silver Corvette has caught my eye that I want to take on a test drive.

Corners like a track racer.

Mine!

As I’m driving around the city and highways I find myself in Arlington, maybe Amanda would like to go for a drive.

Rejection – Brunettes Are In – 2/6

I’m fed up with the REJECTION, of being yelled at, bullied by an agent who keeps insisting he works alone. He’ll never think of me as his partner.

It wasn’t my fault the microdot was stolen. I put it in a sock in my purse. Seemed like a logical place to me.

I’m going to resign.

Lee saved me from a fate worse than death, they wanted to sell me, it wasn’t about my assignment.

He intercepted my resignation and called me partner.

Partner.

A partnership has its ups and downs just like a marriage. I need to remember that.

Stripes – Our Man in Tegernsee – 2/7

All I had to do was deliver a package, a simple courier assignment.

Next thing I know, I’m being arrested for passing counterfeit money. I’ve never been arrested before. I’m in jail. In Germany. I don’t speak the language. I want to go home.

I’m scared.

At least they haven’t made me change clothes, I shuddered at the thought of wearing prison STRIPES.

I’m released into Lee’s custody. Together we crack the counterfeit ring. Sadly, one of the Agency’s own was involved. How anyone could be unhappy in a town as beautiful as this I don’t understand.

No Way Out – Affair at Bromfield Hall – 2/8

Amanda told me her theory about how she could tell when two people were in love.

How a person’s eyes light up. My eyes don’t light up when I see her, do they? Nah.

How lovers always find ways to touch.

I touch her. I put my hand at her waist and the small of her back. To guide her. I’m being a gentleman. Aren’t I?

I have to stop touching her. She might get the wrong idea. I can’t stop being a gentleman though.

I feel like I’m trapped in the maze again with NO WAY OUT.

Expectations – A Class Act – 2/9

I guess my EXPECTATIONS were too high. I thought I’d breeze through Station One, that I’d have no trouble with the courses.

It wasn’t my fault the class had been infiltrated by an enemy agent. Or that Scarecrow’s hut exploded. That the car I drove in defensive driving or the slide wheel on the obstacle course had been tampered with.

I wish I could’ve gone through Dodge City properly. Even though I hate the thought of using a gun.

Maybe they’ll let me go again one day in the future. I’ll keep studying and closely watching my co-workers, especially Lee.

Safety First – Playing Possum – 2/10

My world almost exploded, literally! A deranged Russian kidnapped Mr. Melrose and set a nuclear bomb to detonate.

I thought I wasn’t a good candidate for hypnosis. I was wrong. I was able to recall key details that helped solve the case.

My motto is SAFETY FIRST, especially when it concerns my family. If a nuclear bomb is going to detonate, I want them as far away as possible.

I didn’t want to die alone. I’m glad Lee was with me when the bomb didn’t go off.

I told him it was the blue wire; it’s always the blue wire!

Give Up – Three Faces of Emily – 2/11

I have a gray dining room, all because of a blackout. Using my house was a last resort for the mission. In the long run I didn’t mind, much. I got a chance to watch Emily Farnsworth in action and to know her a lot better. She’s an amazing woman.

They put everything back the way I had it before, except for the wall color. I’m tired of waiting.

I GIVE UP!

I’m going to do it myself.

No I’m not. I’m going to get Lee to help me repaint. And he can put the supplies on his expense report.

Rainbow - Ship of Spies - 2/12

She stood on deck gazing out at the island. It had been raining when they arrived in port, now the sun glowed in the sky. A gorgeous RAINBOW of red, yellow and green rose from the deep blue ocean.

Her stomach twisted in knots. She never thought it would come to this, that the case would’ve been solved long before this drastic step was needed. Soon she’d have to go back to the cabin and get ready.

In a few hours she’d be walking down the aisle.

Lee Stetson by her side.

They’d become husband and wife.

Oh my gosh!

Pen and Paper – Spiderweb – 2/13

I’m supposed to be completing the detailed account of my life for my personnel file. But my mind keeps wandering to the $50,000 windfall in my bank account.

I took out a PEN AND PAPER and began to list everything I’d do with all that money.

A new car. Dishwasher. Microwave. Lawnmower. Add to the boys college funds.

I know it’s not really my money, but it’s fun to play what if. I wonder how long I can stall them before I have to write that check, because each day it’s in my account, it’s
accruing interest. I’m keeping that.

Smile – A Little Sex, A Little Scandal – 2/14

Amanda had been so happy and honored. Her sons had nominated her for Mother of the Year. The SMILE on her face lit up the room.

Then she witnessed a murder. All hell broke loose.

Too bad she lost. I feel guilty. I’d gone to her house dressed as an exterminator and one of the judges showed up. I hope I didn’t influence the outcome.

I’m glad I got to share the cake she baked with her and not Randi, which I didn’t mind in the least. She really isn’t my type. I find I’m not interested in blondes anymore.

Childhood – A Relative Situation – 2/15

Remembering my CHILDHOOD was never a pleasant experience. I always want to forget that time of my life. Dragged from one Air Force Base to another all over the world. Uprooted in the middle of a school year, leaving behind friends, then having to start all over again in a new place.

Maybe now that we’re older, we’ll be able to get along better. Nah. I doubt it. He’s stubborn and so am I.

Still I’d like to get to know him better, he is my only living relative. As Amanda says family is important. We really shouldn’t be strangers.

Cat – Life of the Party – 2/16

After Amanda told me about all the antics and complaining Francine pulled while working undercover, I couldn’t resist buying Francine a gift in remembrance of her tenure with Private Party.

When everyone saw the feather duster I’d given Francine as a gag present we laughed out loud. Amanda looked like the CAT who swallowed the canary.

I wish I had a picture of Francine in her maid uniform. It’d make perfect ‘blackmail’ material. This is one case she’d like to forget. I purposely used a flower box to throw her off.

Maybe I should’ve bought her a toilet brush instead!

Spiral – Odds on a Dead Pigeon – 2/17

My life went on a downward SPIRAL out of control.

Someone was impersonating me. They looked exactly like me. Acted like me. Even talked. Someone walked into my life and took it over. I used to dream how it’d be fun to have a twin. Now I know it isn’t.

All this happened to me because a man wanted revenge on Lee.

Thankfully, Lee knew the real me. Saw the differences between me and the doppleganger.

Who else would say ‘Oh My Gosh’ as they’re about to plummet to their death?

His arms wrapped around me and I felt safe.

Annoyance – Car Wars – 2/18

The past few days I think I’ve been a bit of an ANNOYANCE to Lee all because of a cursed car.

I’d been called into work to deliver some declassified files but my car was in the shop being repaired.

Lee arranged the use a car called a Stratford as a replacement. That was my introduction to the car from hell. I should’ve taken that smaller car.

During the short time I had the misfortune of driving it, the grill was broken, wheels stolen, muffler torn up, entire car stolen and returned.

I’m glad I have my station wagon back.

Food – DOA: Delirious on Arrival – 2/19

I just wanted some FOOD. It’s Lee’s fault I missed breakfast. He didn’t know the chicken sandwich had been drugged.

Then my world turned upside down. I’m told I did some wild things while under the influence. I don’t remember.

I walked the ledge of the hospital roof like a tightrope, played goofy golf in the Agency corridor, knocked Francine over the head with a vase and caught Retzig with my hair dryer.

There’s a dream I can’t get out of my mind. Lee, a baseball and a kiss. A wonderful, passionate kiss. I’m sure it didn’t happen.

Did it?

Starvation – You Only Die Twice – 2/20

I thought my cash card had been shut down due to a computer error.

Until I read my obituary.

The phone rang, flowers arrived as friends sent their condolences.

I’m dead!

I found out that the agent who’d accessed my file had gotten it accidentally when a secretary had dropped a box of discs and placed them in the wrong folders.

I need to be reincarnated. I hope it doesn’t take too long. I have bills to pay.

Lee saved the day and bought more groceries, my boys think they’re on the brink of STARVATION if the pantry isn’t full.

Horror – Burn Out – 2/21

I hit Amanda!

I didn’t mean to slap her, to hit that hard. I’d patted her cheek emphasizing my words. I got carried away. I needed to make her believe I was all washed up, to stay the hell away from me.

I can still see the HORROR and shock of that slap reflected in her eyes.

I finally told her it was a ruse.

She understood and accepted my apology.

If the Agency won’t reimburse her for the bullet hole in her sweater, I will. It’s the least I can do, since I’m the one that shot at her.

Questioning – Murder Between Friends – 2/22

I asked for a raise and was told no.

Jordan Securities offered me twice my salary.

Do I want to resign?

I’m QUESTIONING my reasons in leaving the Agency. I’ve made a lot of friends here.

I have to consider the welfare of my family. I need the money.

What could happen?

My boss was killed and I’m accused of his murder!

I’m in jail for the second time in my life and Lee came to my rescue again.

After the real killer is caught, Lee offered me my old job back. With a raise!

Of course, I said yes.

Test – Vigilante Mothers – 2/23

I’m living in the suburbs. Me the suave spy, playing a normal everyday man.

I hate these types of assignments.

My ability to cope in all types of situations is being severely tested.

How the hell was I to know that sprinklers are on automatic timers? What grocery store has the best sale prices? Or what day the trash is picked up?

I wouldn’t have passed the TEST without Amanda’s help. In fact this neighborhood isn’t that bad at all.

The nightlife though leaves a lot to be desired. Do they roll up the sidewalks when the sun goes down?
Season Three by Cheryl
Season 3

Puzzle – A Lovely Little Affair – 3/1

I swear Lee Stetson is a PUZZLE. I can never figure him out. The pieces don’t fit.

He acts jealous of any man who pays attention to me. He has no right to act that way, we’re not a couple, just partners. Men!

I have a date with Lee tonight and not as a cover. I’m not window dressing this time though he did ask me in an unorthodox way. It was a lesson in techniques. Why am I nervous? I see it as just two friends enjoying an evening at the opera.

It couldn’t be anything else, could it?

Flowers – We’re Off to See the Wizard – 3/2

I couldn’t stand roses, the sight of those FLOWERS held too much pain for me. Their smell made me sick. A harsh reminder of a love lost. All I could see were rose petals floating on the air landing in blood.

Finding the traitor in the Oz network helped put the ghost from my past at peace. I can move forward.

Roses seem like that only way of thanking Amanda for her help and deep faith in me. I stopped on my way to work and bought her small bouquet.

Dorothy was my first love, but she isn’t my last.

Dreams – Over the Limit –3/3

My heart leapt into my throat when I saw the destruction the bomb had done and couldn’t find Amanda. I saw her standing on the hill and relief flooded my body. She was safe. Alive. I hugged her tightly to me; I didn’t want to let her go.

The other night I accidentally called Leslie by Amanda’s name. In fact, I never realized how much Leslie looked like Amanda until I saw them together in the same room.

It never dawned on me the brunette in my DREAMS could be Amanda.

Was I substituting Leslie in my life for Amanda?

Creation – Tail of the Dancing Weasel – 3/4

The best thing Harry Thornton ever did, well besides hire me, was the CREATION of the Agency.

I’ve kept in contact with him over the years. He’s been a mentor to me. Almost like a father. I’ve told him things I’ve never told anyone else. Like how much I trust Amanda and would follow her blind through a blizzard at midnight.

When he’d been accused of being a double agent, I had to do everything in my power to clear his name. With Amanda’s help we found the letter that vindicated him. What’s even more important he likes her too.

Mischief Managed – Welcome to America, Mr. Brand – 3/5

If this last case had a code name it would be MISCHIEF MANAGED.

James Brand, I should say James Pott wanted to be James Bond. He told Amanda he had all types of gadgets like Bond used in the movies. None of them worked.

He’s the little accountant who wanted to be a master spy.

To my utter amazement the Cobra Death Grip actually worked. Then I found out he made the whole thing up. It sure knocked the hell out of Dr. Pain. I think it’ll be a very long time before I have to requalify in hand-to-hand combat.

Waiting – Sour Grapes – 3/6

I stood patiently WAITING for Lee to give me whatever Penny had asked him to deliver personally.

He looked intently at my lips and stepped closer to me. His arm wrapped around my waist as he drew me close to his body. His lips came closer to mine.

He’s going to kiss me. Our first ‘real’ kiss!

Then mother opened the door and interrupted us. Ever the quick thinking agent, Lee pulled the W. C. Fields mask he’d stolen from Buck over his face.

The mood is broken. Maybe Lee will stick around the party and we’ll get another chance.

Through the Fire – Utopia Now – 3/7

It seemed like we’d been running THROUGH THE FIRE for hours to escape Sacker’s men. We’re lost in the swampy woods, handcuffed and chained together.

It’s dark.

I’m cold.

I’m scared.

Snuggling for warmth next to a small fire Lee wrapped his arms around me. Comforting me, assuring me we would be safe.

We talked about our past.

Our eyes met. Our lips almost touched. The sound of men searching forced us to jump apart and hide.

Why did I chicken out?

The words were on the tip of my tongue.

I was going to tell him I loved him.

In the Storm – Reach for the Sky – 3/8

The new head of the Agency, Dr. Smyth and I are going to butt heads. He’s a by the book type. A book he wrote. He has a cold heart. How the hell he rose so high is beyond me.

I didn’t have to be ordered to find Billy. He has not gone rogue. I would’ve done it anyway. Billy is my friend. I’d do anything for him.

I’m grateful Smyth didn’t spout any nursery rhymes. I hate when he does that.

Working at the Agency with him as head will feel like being IN THE STORM of the century.

Words – J. Edgar’s Ghost – 3/9

I keep thinking back to the WORDS Amanda spoke in Agnes’ apartment.

‘When you’re talking about love, you have to be patient.’

Was she talking about us?

The tide is turning in our relationship. At first I felt guilty getting her involved in the world of espionage. Now it seems like I want to get to know her outside that enviornment. What kind of food does she like? Movies? I want to know anything and everything about her.

Is what I’m feeling for Amanda love?

I think it might be. I want to explore this new side to our relationship.

Mother Nature – Flight to Freedom – 3/10

As I sailed back to the harbor the setting sunlight glistened off the water, the sky brilliant colors. MOTHER NATURE at her finest.

I’ve learned something interesting about Lee during this assignment. He has to have a light on to go to sleep. I understand why he does; spending a week in wet, dark catacombs and with rats running all around would make anyone afraid of the dark.

I guess everyone has quirky habits. Even me. I like to have the window cracked open about an inch or so to let in fresh air.

Maybe I’ll buy him a nightlight.

Two Roads – The Wrong Way Home – 3/11

I’m sitting in the gazebo reflecting over the last few days. There are TWO ROADS my life could travel.

One road would lead me back to my past.

The other road would lead me to a future with a man who has been there for me the past three years, but at times can be so unpredictable. Do I want to take a chance on the unknown?

I love the life I’ve led since Lee handed me the package that morning at the train station.

I know which road I want to go down. The same road Lee Stetson travels.

Fairy Tale – Fast Food for Thought – 3/12

I truly feel sorry for Francine she doesn’t believe in the FAIRY TALE.

The one about the damsels in distress being rescued by the knight in shining armor who come charging in on a white steed to save the day.

If she’d only believed, she would’ve known Lee would come to our rescue.

I did find out she has a weakness for chocolate. I’m going to buy her a box of chocolates because we bonded, even if she won’t admit it while we were stuck in that freezer. You know the saying once on the lips, forever on the hips.

Advertisement – One Bear Dances, One Bear Doesn’t – 3/13

Dotty West is amazing. She was able to give Amanda clues to her whereabouts, warehouses and the Marshmallow Man. Amanda figured out she was referring to the area near a billboard ADVERTISEMENT for a factory that produces marshmallows she’d toured last year.

Dotty is a special woman with a special daughter.

I’m going to enjoy getting to know her better in the future. From the stories Amanda has told me in the past, the woman has a zest for living.

I wonder what she’ll think of me as a suitor for her daughter. Will she like me?

Time will tell.

Heal – Playing for Keeps – 3/14

I don’t like working without Amanda. It was different, even though I’ve worked with Francine in the past. You get used to their habits, rhythms and personality. I found myself lost without Amanda around.

I kept in constant contact with her while I was away. I kept mentally sending her thoughts to HEAL.

To get over this cold that had her staying at home and not working with me.

I missed her, a lot.

Now that this case is over, I want to get back home as soon as I can. She sounds better and I want to make sure.

Triangle – The Pharoh’s Engineer – 3/15

Everyone who lives at Birchwood is a retired government employee.

I was amazed to find out many of them were involved in the construction of the Agency. It was built like a pyramid, a TRIANGLE. The top is the Georgtown Foyer with each floor underneath getting bigger and bigger.

Watching Lee interact with the Mendlesen sisters, Rupert and other residents showed me a new side of him. A tender and compassionate one.

Their zest for life is infectious and rubs off on anyone who has the privilege of spending time with them.

I feel honored to be called their niece.

Hold My Hand – The Triumvirate – 3/16

I didn’t want to say HOLD MY HAND, so I grasped for his as we entered the elevator. I needed his touch. It calms me.

This job is harder than I thought. I know I’m making the world a better place for my sons.

A huge part of this job I don’t like is the lies.

I hate the lying most. I’m not sure how much longer mother is going to believe whatever I tell her. She has to be suspicious.

A part I do like, that’s easy. Lee. Working with him, seeing him every day that’s the biggest plus.

Out Cold – The Eyes Have It – 3/17

I didn’t think Amanda could do it. If I’d been able to see her performance I probably would’ve been knocked OUT COLD.

I could hear the terror in her voice when she yelled no. All I had to do was just lie there and play dead under a sheet. The sound of her voice carried into the room. I heard the grief in her voice as she sobbed. A hell of an actress.

Later that night I added her name to the top of the Barnstorm List. She’s the one who has helped me the most and she deserves top billing.

Precious Treasure – Wrong Number – 3/18

Amanda’s amazing deductive skills helped us see that the Russians were trying to make us think William Towne was an enemy agent. He would’ve been traded in a spy swap to rescue Francine.

After a dinner with Francine, Towne and his wife, I helped Amanda cleaned up the empty boxes of Chinese food.

Amanda handed me a fortune cookie and I placed it in my jacket pocket forgetting it.

Later that evening as I hung up my jacket, I remembered the cookie.

I took it out and read it.

‘A PRECIOUS TREASURE is close at hand.’

She lives in Arlington.

Playing the Melody – The Boy Who Could be King – 3/19

The sound of jazz filled the room. We sat in the audience holding hands listening to Billy Bluenote PLAYING THE MELODY on his sax. I never knew Mr. Melrose could play an instrument. He’s really very good.

King Eddie and Sandra still have that spark of love between them. I hope they get back together. You can tell they still care for each other.

I’ve found that spark in my life. I never thought I’d find love again. I didn’t though. It found me at the train station.

I have a feeling everyone is going to live happily ever after.

Light – Dead Men Leave No Trails – 3/20

After the chandelier exploded killing Sallee, we came back to my house for a normal dinner.

We were about to kiss when mother and the boys came home. Lee rushed out the back door. I followed him outside. He grabbed my elbow and pulled me to him, he lightly kissed my lips, smiled then left.

Someday it’ll be more than a quick peck on the lips.

I just have to be patient.

There is a LIGHT at the end of the tunnel. Our relationship will take the next step. I know it. I can feel it in my heart.

Soon.

Teamwork – Three Little Spies – 3/21

It took working with the Russians and the Chinese to crack our latest case. If that’s not TEAMWORK, I don’t know what is.

As we flew back home, you could feel the romance in the air. Couples paired off. You could see the love they held for each other in the way they acted when they weren’t in spy mode.

What did Amanda and I look like to them? Could they see we had more than a working relationship? That our feelings ran deeper than just being partners?

Why in the world did I say she had a cute nose?

Stars – All the World’s a Stage – 3/22

After countless times of being interrupted for one reason or another I’ve kissed Amanda. Not a cover kiss, not an almost kiss or a light peck on the lips or cheek. A romantic kiss.

I never thought it would be possible. That I could feel this way about a woman. The old Scarecrow is gone, the one who had no feelings, kept his heart locked up.

Now I’m Lee Stetson, a man who can give his heart to a woman.

As I drove home, I looked up into the STARS and thanked them for showing me the way to love.
Season Four by Cheryl
Season 4

Love – Stemwinder 1 – 4/1

He told me the three magic words.

I LOVE you.

It happened so fast. He’d been accused of treason and didn’t want to leave me without letting me know his true feelings.

No way would I let him go on the run alone. He can’t walk into my life, hand me a package, tell me to give it to the man in the red hat, tell me he loves me, then walk out of my life.

And I love him too.

He’s innocent and together we’ll prove it. We always work best as a team.

We’re Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

Sacrifice – Stemwinder 2 – 4/2

I didn’t want Amanda to SACRIFICE her life to help me prove I wasn’t a traitor. I couldn’t leave without telling her my true feelings. What I’d felt in my heart for a very long time but never had the courage to express.

I love her.

I don’t know when it happened. Over the past three years I’d grown to admire her strength and zest for life.

The steel cage I had wrapped around my heart is gone. Amanda has shown me the way to a life I never imagined.

Together we can conquer anything.

We’re Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

Family – Unfinished Business – 4/3

Reading the diary of Lee’s mother gave me a new understanding of his FAMILY.

His parents had met almost exactly like we did.

In London during the war his father was being followed. He grabbed a woman by the arm asking her to walk with him please. He was in trouble and asked her to deliver a letter. Then one night he appeared in the window of her basement flat.

Like father. Like son.

I wish I could’ve known them. They’d be very proud of the man their son grew up to be. I think they would’ve liked me too.

Heaven – No Thanks for the Memories – 4/4

He looked forward to celebrating with just Amanda. They had so little time alone recently. He walked into the room and saw her sleeping on the couch.

She reached out to him and pulled him close. Amanda spoke telling him she maybe sleepy, but she wasn’t dead. She kissed him and then her eyes fluttered shut.

There’d be very little romance tonight. He didn’t have the heart to waken her.

She looked like an angel as she slept. His angel.

He looked forward to spending HEAVEN in her arms. He had patience. He’d waited this long he could wait longer.

Mirror – It’s in the Water – 4/5

Lee stood in front of the MIRROR lost in thought. Shaving cream drying on his chin.

Well, you never know, maybe someday. Amanda’s comment to Sally about if she’d ever get married again echoed in his mind over and over.

He washed off the shaving cream, walked out of the bathroom and went to sit on his bed. He pulled open a drawer of the nightstand and took about a small box.

Does she suspect?

He opened the box to reveal an engagement ring he’d purchased a couple of weeks ago.

Someday is coming sooner than you expect Amanda King.

Tower – Nightcrawler – 4/6

During my ordeal with Birol, Lee was my TOWER of strength.

I kept hearing him. “Don’t give it up. Please. I’m coming to get you. Just don’t give it up.”

I would see him too. He seemed so real. He’d tell me he loved me.

All hallucinations.

Then he really was there to rescue me.

I have to admit I wasn’t sure if I hallucinated his marriage proposal.

Then when I went back to work a little blue box sat on my desk. Inside the most beautiful engagement ring I’d even seen was nestled.

It wasn’t a dream.

We’re engaged.

Night – Billy’s Lost Weekend – 4/7

Billy dropped by my apartment to tell us he put it on record we helped recover the Kalahari List. And to also let us know he took us off roll call for tomorrow and given us a nice long weekend.

Before the NIGHT ends we’ll be in Pine Top.

Billy suspects or even knows about us. In a roundabout way Billy has given us his blessing. He told us earlier whatever our relationship is it was fine with him. I should’ve known he’d seen the signs. To those who really know me, it’s obvious. I’m glad he’s on our side.

Rated – Photo Finish – 4/8

Amanda was reinstated and got her security clearance back. I was worried that her suspension would be permanent, if we didn’t clear her of the charges, which of course we were able to.

We lost Crumps Cabin but maybe we can salvage part of the weekend.

When we were at that X RATED theater I couldn’t help but watch the action on the screen. I also noticed Amanda peaking at the screen.

I think the main problem was she was in a public place and that embarrassed her. Who knows maybe in the privacy of my apartment she’d watch one.

All That I Have – The Man Who Died Twice – 4/9

I wanted to buy a house in the country where we could all live happily ever after. After what happened with Kai we had to rethink options. Those plans will have to wait.

I have to keep her, Dotty and the boys safe. That is my first priority. I don’t want our family to get in trouble like Kai’s.

I’m going to marry her, but it’ll have to be a mystery marriage.

Now and forever ALL THAT I HAVE is hers.

She has the most important thing I can give her – my love.

I’ve got her and she’s got me.

Are you challenging me? – Need to Know – 4/10

I lost the coin toss, but she flipped the coin and I never got a clear look to see if she’d won. She wanted to hear all my secrets. I told her I kept a few.

Then she wanted to have another coin toss to get me to tell her the rest.

ARE YOU CHALLENGING ME?

Okay. But this time I tossed the coin. I used an old trick that I’d been taught years ago. It works the majority of the time. And it worked again.

I won. Now it’s time for her to start spilling some secrets.

It’s only fair.

Relaxation – Santa’s Got a Brand New Bag – 4/11

It’s nice having a night of RELAXATION after we thought Christmas Eve would be ruined.

The warmth of the holiday surrounded me as I sat on the couch watching Amanda’s family bustle around me. I could feel the love they shared and they welcomed me with open arms.

Because of Amanda the spirit of the season has invaded my soul.

I’ll never look at Christmas as just another day of the week again.

Christmas in the King house is special and I’m glad I’m a part of it.

The holiday has new meaning for me. Family. Love. No more scarves.

Sorrow – Any Number Can Play – 4/12

I can feel my mother’s SORROW at the loss of Harry moving to Switzerland to take a new job. In a short time, she’d come to care for him a lot. She’s going to miss him terribly.

When mother told me don’t hesitate if I ever found a good thing, I wanted to tell her I had found a good thing. I don’t plan on letting him go.

Lee brought her a beautiful bouquet of flowers. I saw her smile but could see the sadness in her eyes. I know it’ll be rough for a while, but she’s a survivor.

Innocence – Promises to Keep – 4/13

Francine thinks she’s doing me a favor and looking out for my best interests by warning me about getting involved with Lee. That he’ll break my heart.

The image of Lee as a rascal and playboy is all she can see. A confirmed bachelor never satisfied with one woman.

She can’t see beyond that façade to the loving and tender man behind the mask of the Scarecrow.

That may have been him in the past.

He’s not going to corrupt my INNOCENCE.

He’s a changed man. A man who is now ready to make a commitment to one woman.

Me.

Happiness – Rumors of My Death – 4/14

I know Lee worried that Joe wanted me back. I’ve told Lee time and again that I’d never get back together with Joe. Our marriage gave me two of the most precious things in my life. My sons.

He’ll always have a place in my heart. I love him, but I’m not in love with him.

Joe’s remarrying. I could see the HAPPINESS in his eyes when he told me about Carrie. I’m happy he’s found another woman to love and make a life with, that he’s moved on.

We’re both traveling new roads to brighter futures filled with love.

Dying – Bad Timing – 4/15

Lee had been poisoned. He’s DYING. Only seventy-two hours to live.

My world crumbled. He couldn’t be taken so cruelly from me. Not a week before our wedding.

I knew he wouldn’t be able to sit still; he had to find the ones responsible. I wasn’t going to let him go through this alone. Whatever amount of time he had left, I would be by his side.

I believe in miracles.

There is an antidote. With barely a second to spare I was able to deactivate the dead man’s watch.

Miracles do happen.

Next week we’ll be husband and wife.

Do Not Disturb – Do You Take This Spy? – 4/16

I drove the limo like a wildcat. I would not be late for my own wedding! I barely had time to change. I wish my mother, sons, and our friends could've witnessed us repeating our vows. I hope we'll have a public wedding one day so everyone will know how much I love Lee and how much he loves me. That's my dream.

At the Inn, it seemed like we waited forever for the maid to finish her duties. Her last duty was to put the "Please DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door handle.

I'm Mrs. Lee Stetson.

Wow!

Can you hear me? – Mission of Gold – 4/17

The beeping sounds of equipment my only companion, I sat by her bedside, holding her hand. I didn't want to let it go.

For the first time in my life, I prayed.

CAN YOU HEAR ME, God? Please, don't take her from me. I need her. She makes my life worth living. I don't know what I'd do without her. Please, God. Make her well. She's my world.

Every time I visited her, I prayed.

She stirred, moaned, her eyes fluttered open, and she smiled.

Tears filled my eyes. God answered my prayers. My wife would live.

Thank you, Lord.

Sport – One Flew East – 4/18

I've found a way to connect with my secret stepsons. Phillip is a huge sports fan. Any SPORT. We'll be spending time together shooting hoops and going to games.

Jamie, on the other hand, was tougher to figure out. Until I found out he has a love of photography, that is. A new camera did the trick. I'll chauffeur him around the city so he can take pictures. Maybe even set up a dark room in the basement for him.

I hope they won't hate me when they learn the truth about their mother and me.

I love them dearly.

Keeping a Secret – All That Glitters – 4/19

I know Lee is cringing at the thought of me spending time with one of his old girlfriends. She seems so nice, and she definitely wants to talk to me. Lee told her we're just work partners. I think she suspects something.

Of course, I want to talk to her. He could be KEEPING A SECRET from me.

He said he'd told me everything, but you know men. They never tell you everything--just tidbits.

You never know, I might learn something that I could use in the future. It never hurts to have a little blackmail on your husband.

Breaking the Rules – Suitable for Framing – 4/20

I'll give Francine an A for effort. She learned from a pro that sometimes BREAKING THE RULES is the only way to save a mission.

It had all been a set-up. Leave it to her to get burned in the long run.

When you recruit a civilian, it doesn't always work. I got lucky when I found Amanda. I not only found a work partner, I found a partner in life.

I just want to spend an uninterrupted weekend with my wife. We have to find time to be together.

I now have two weeks, courtesy of Dr. Smyth.

Silence – A Matter of Choice – 4/21

When Dotty showed me my sock, I wanted to crawl under a rock.

How in the world did one of my socks get into Amanda's laundry? Amanda probably found it lying on the floor and didn't think anything of it. She just threw it in the laundry basket.

Did I want Dotty to find it and start to ask questions?

I figured my best option was to say as little as possible. You know the saying--SILENCE is golden.

I'm going to have to be very careful about leaving my clothes lying around.

Eventually, everything comes out in the wash.

Fortitude – The Khrushchev List – 4/22

We've hit some rocky points. I should've expected it. Marriage isn't always a bed of roses. If we were a normal couple, I don't think any of the little things would've escalated. Sometimes I feel like we're roommates, instead of man and wife.

A mystery marriage. What in the hell was I thinking?

I wish I'd never come up with the idea. I know we had our reasons at the time. Work. Family.

I want to shout to the world, "Amanda is my wife!"

We'll find a way.

With FORTITUDE and love, we'll survive. We have love on our side.
February 13, 1988 by Cheryl
February 13, 1988

Solitude

I’m pacing the laundry room in SOLITUDE. I wanted this time alone to reflect.

I thought when Amanda and I came clean to her family they’d hate me forever.

They didn’t.

I deserved their scorn. I lied to them.

Then they came to me separately. Each told me how much my entering their lives had changed Amanda and them even though they hadn’t known the truth.

When Dotty kissed me on the cheek and called me son, I thought my heart would burst.

I will make them proud of me and I vow never to lie to my family again.

Hero

I’m walking down the white covered aisle guided by Phillip on my right and Jamie on my left towards the gazebo that has been transformed into a beautiful bridal archway.

They’re giving me away to the man who’s been a part of their lives for the last four years. Times were rough after coming clean. Then the air cleared.

JP Tagsworth, who married us the first time, stood next to Lee.

My partner.

My HERO.

My lover.

My best friend.

My husband.

The whole world knows I’m Mrs. Lee Stetson.

I thought this day would never come.

No more secrets.

Tears

I can’t believe I’m crying. TEARS of joy flow down my cheek.

My daughter is marrying the man of her dreams for the second time.

After coming clean about their work and marriage they told me they wanted a public wedding. Of course, at first I was madder than a hornet, then I had time to think as to why they’d been less than truthful. I’d suspected something for ages.

I forgave.

I’m watching the man who’d come into my life years before I’d known him, vow to my daughter to love and cherish her until death they do part.

Deep in thought

Francine sat in the front row DEEP IN THOUGHT watching her two best friends marry. If anyone had told her four years ago that she and a housewife from Arlington would be friends, she would’ve told them they were crazy. They had nothing in common. She was a trained agent. A professional.

She took the hand of the man on her right and smiled at him. If Lee and Amanda found happiness, maybe they could too and it’ll be them exchanging vows.

Amanda showed her how to believe in the fairy tale and that dreams can come true.

Last hope

Teaming Amanda with Lee was the best thing Billy had ever done. Lee fought him tooth and nail for a long time. Over time he watched as their relationship progressed.

Amanda had been his LAST HOPE in saving Scarecrow from himself.

First casual acceptance in working with her, he’d gripe but he’d comply. Then he called her his partner. As time wore on, I noticed they spent more and more time together away from work. I could see the love in their eyes.

Now I have the pleasure of being Lee’s best man.

A job well done on my part.

Traps

He stood in the distance hiding behind a tree. He didn’t want anyone to see him. He hadn’t been invited and knew his presence would not be welcome.

After all the TRAPS he’d put in their path, he was amazed they’d managed to make their relationship work.

He never imagined the housewife from Arlington would turn out to be one of his best agents. Her unorthodox methods had proven to be an Agency asset. No way would he ever admit that to anyone, he had a reputation to protect.

The ceremony concluded.

He retreated trailing puffs of smoke behind him.

Under the Rain

Lee and Amanda walked down the path smiling UNDER THE RAIN of falling rose petals. As they passed, I tossed more to float over their heads.

I hope they like my wedding present, a new portrait. I noticed earlier they’d hung the picture I made of them in Salzburg on the living room wall.

Even back then I knew they were meant to be together. I knew it would take him time to admit his true feelings. He’d been through a lot emotionally and wasn’t ready to commit to one woman.

Thankfully, Amanda had the patience of a saint.

Break Away

I’m glad mom is happy. I know my brother and I were pains in the butt after she and Lee told us the truth.

What did they expect?

They’d lied to us.

After sitting down and talking to us individually and together, we came to understand why they did what they did.

We were honored she chose us together to give her away.

I just want to BREAK AWAY and run to the tables filled with food. We’re having the reception in our back yard, no waiting to eat. I plan on being first in line. My stomach is growling.

Multitasking

As the reception wound down, Lee and Amanda went around to everyone talking and thanking them for sharing in their day.

When they got to me, I told Lee he needed to become an expert at MULTITASKING. He looked at me in question. I told him that he needed to be able to do two or three things at once if and when they decided to add to the Stetson family.

His face blanched. I patted him on the back and told him don’t worry, it’d all come to him naturally.

Amanda touched him on the arm. You’ll be fine.

Obsession

My greatest hope is Lee and Amanda will decide to have a child. I want to be a grandmother again. I love my grandsons but I’d love to have a granddaughter to dress up in frilly clothes. Of course they could have a boy.

Okay, I admit it’s an OBSESSION of mine. I’ve hinted around trying to find out if a baby is in their future. They just ignore me and go about whatever they were doing.

I’m going to have to come right out and ask them.

I probably should wait until after they get back from their honeymoon.

67%

Lee sat on the bed in the same room of the Crystal Springs Inn they’d honeymooned in last year. This time they didn’t have to wait for a maid to finish her duties.

Amanda was in the bathroom getting ready. She wanted to surprise him.

To kill time he began to read the newspaper. The weather forecast caught his eye. There was Don’s, no Dan’s, no Doug’s, whatever his name, photo and byline stating that there was a 67% chance of rain for today.

Boy had he gotten it wrong. Not a cloud in the sky for their second wedding.
Twenty Years Later by Cheryl
Twenty Years Later

Seeking solace

I stood next to Lee SEEKING SOLACE from his touch.

We thought she’d always be there for us, that this day would never come.

The years passed and we watched her getting older. Her zest for life was contagious. We saw her slowing down and she never stopped smiling and laughing.

She’s at peace now.

Lee and I, our children and their children gathered around her grave in a circle with clasped hands.

We looked up into the bright blue sky. The wind blew and it felt like a kiss. She’ll always be in our hearts.

We love you mother.

THE END
This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=786