- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks to: Aaron, Chanda and Steph for the medical help. Rita for her assistance in deciding what kind of dog to use. And anyone else who gave me ideas for this story. Lisa for all her valuable help and for keeping me on my toes by telling me which parts needed expanding. Miriam and the MEAP team for all their help in making this readable.
Thanksgiving Day Disaster

November 26, l987

Old man winter blew in overnight, his cold breath coating the outside world with a thin layer of glittering ice. The tapping of a tree branch on the window and the thump and clatter of Phillip and Jamie trying to be quiet as they raced downstairs woke Amanda from a sound slumber. She snuggled deeper into her husband’s arms, unwilling to leave the warmth of their bed. Especially when she thought about the long day in front of her. She still had a million things to do for their Thanksgiving dinner.

After rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she glanced at the clock on the nightstand. 6:l5; she had to get up. She inched out of bed, not wanting to wake Lee, and slipped on her bathrobe. The tapping at the window caught her attention, and she walked over to see which tree limb needed trimming. What she saw at first shocked, and then amazed her. The view seemed to be refracted through a prism, for the rays of the rising sun reflected off every shiny surface in icy splendor.

So much for the Channel 12 weatherman’s promise that the day would be unseasonably warm. Well, Dean never was as accurate as Mother’s observations about “red skies at night” and “it smells like rain.” Amanda could only hope that temperatures really would rise to the high 50’s. Otherwise today’s dinner guests would have a difficult drive. Maybe it would be good idea to cancel--but no, it was too early to tell. Letting out a small sigh, she decided it was time to fix breakfast.

Before she could turn, she felt a hand wrap around her waist and lips nuzzle her neck. “What are you looking at?”

“I didn’t mean to wake you. You can sleep a little longer.”

“I’m not tired. I want to know what has you so engrossed.”

Amanda leaned back in Lee's arms. “We had an ice storm last night.” She placed her hands on top of his. “Do you think we should call and cancel? I don’t want anyone getting hurt on the roads.”

He peered over her shoulder. “Looks like Don messed up. Maybe it’ll melt in time.”

Amanda smiled and turned in his arms. “Either way, I have to go start cooking.”

“You can cook with me. Come back to bed.” Lee raised his eyebrows and untied the belt of her bathrobe.

“Not now, Big Fella.” Amanda moved from his embrace and retied her belt. “Tonight. I promise. Come on, I’ll make us some coffee.”

Lee grabbed his robe from the end of the bed and put it on. He clasped her hand, and they headed out of the bedroom.

********

Pop . . . Pop . . . Pop . . . A distinctive sound--one that Amanda identified as the sound of a gun with a silencer--shattered the silence as she and Lee headed down the stairs. Oh my God, she thought, this can't be happening.

Beside her, Lee stiffened, obviously going into agent mode, and pushed her against the wall. He flattened himself next to her, fumbling for a pistol that he didn’t have. “I need to go upstairs and get my gun.”

Amanda grabbed his arm, her heart racing. “No, the boys are down here somewhere.”

“What?” he mouthed

“The boys,” she whispered again. She saw his eyes open wide; obviously he hadn’t known they were awake.

Frantic, Amanda scanned the area, looking for something they could use to defend themselves. Her eyes fell on a baseball bat propped against the wall on the last step. When she motioned toward it, he snatched it up.

They inched forward, Lee in front holding the bat aloft. Amanda looked for something, anything she could use as a weapon. Sneakers . . . comic book . . . nothing of any use! Wait a minute, the lamp. It had worked once before, maybe it would again.

Her heart felt like it was going to pound out of her chest as she knelt down to unplug the lamp. She forced herself to take a deep breath and tried to remain calm.

Wait a minute--what was that smell? Amanda wrinkled her nose. It certainly wasn't cordite. More like . . . sulfur? Since when did gunpowder smell like rotten eggs?

And then the sound of voices bombarded her ears. The blessed, blessed sound of squabbling siblings. Amanda thought she’d never heard anything quite so wonderful.

“I told you not to do it that long, worm brain.”

“It’s not my fault, dork face.”

"What the hell?" Lee stopped and put the bat down. “Shall we see what they’ve done to the kitchen?”

Amanda put her hand to her chest and sagged against him.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just let my heart start beating again.”

Lee put his arm around her. “Okay, then let’s see what kind of catastrophe they’re up to. At least it isn’t as bad as we thought.”

When Amanda saw Phillip and Jamie hunched in front of the microwave, dripping paper towels in their hands, she felt the urge to laugh hysterically with relief. Instead she made her voice stern. “What in the world happened here?”

Both boys turned around. “It was all Jamie’s fault. I told him not to put the eggs in the microwave that long.”

“No way, doofus, you told me to put them in. You said they’d cook faster.”

“Yeah, but not for five minutes, lame brain.”

“Don’t call your brother names,” Lee and Amanda said at the same time.

“I’m sorry,” Jamie muttered. “But he did tell me to do it. I didn’t know they’d explode. Bang . . . bang . . . bang . . .” He threw up his arms. “Egg all over the place.”

“Sorry we screwed up,” Phillip said, casting his eyes on the floor.

Behind her, Amanda felt Lee's body shake with silent laughter.

“Didn’t I tell you both there were certain things you couldn’t put in the microwave?”

“Yeah, Mom, but . . . I guess we forgot that part.” Jamie stepped back from the offending appliance, egg yolk dripping from his sopping paper towels onto the newly washed and waxed floor.

Phillip nodded. “We wanted to make breakfast for everybody. You and Grandma will be cooking this big dinner, and we wanted to surprise you. I thought it would be faster to nuke the eggs.”

Amanda crossed the kitchen and stood in front of them. “Now both of you clean up this mess. I don’t want to see a speck of egg shell or yolk, anywhere.” She kissed each of her sons on the top of the head, being careful not to get egg on herself. “It was a nice thought, but next time, make sure you know what you’re doing.”

While the boys cleaned, Amanda started making coffee. As she poured water into the pot, she whispered to Lee, “I hope the smell goes away.”

“What is that odor?” Dotty asked as she entered the kitchen, wrinkling her nose.

“I’m surprised you didn’t hear the ruckus going on down here.”

“Ruckus? What ruckus? I didn’t hear a thing. Of course, I just took my ear plugs out.”

Amanda almost let out an audible giggle, but managed to smile instead. She’d forgotten her mother had purchased ear plugs after Lee moved in. When she found them in the bottom of a grocery bag and questioned her mother, all Dotty would say was that she needed them to sleep. After that, Amanda made sure she and Lee were quieter in their amorous activities, at least when everyone was home.

Amanda looked sternly at her sons. “We had a little mishap with some eggs. Didn’t we, boys?”

They both grunted, “yeah,” and continued cleaning.

Lee kissed her cheek. “I’m going to try to find a weather report on TV, while you tell your mother about the exploding eggs.”

********

Ten minutes later, Amanda pronounced the boys' clean-up job complete and poured herself a cup of coffee.

After what she mentally termed "the egg episode," she didn't need caffeine to wake up. But the familiar taste and savory aroma of coffee, and the warm solidity of the mug in her hands, were comforting reminders that today was just an ordinary day--or, rather, an ordinary holiday--and not the start of a tragedy.

“We’re in luck,” she heard Lee call out from the den. “It’s supposed to warm up into the 40’s, and the roads should be clear by this afternoon.”

“Were you worried, dear?” Dotty took a sip of coffee.

Amanda opened the refrigerator to get out eggs and bacon. Luckily, eggs had been on sale, so she’d bought extra. “I was afraid everyone would cancel when they saw how bad the roads were. Or that one of our guests might have an accident.”

“Everything will work out, we’ve already had the disaster of the day.” Dotty pointed to the microwave. “What else could go wrong?”

“Nothing, I hope. Let’s finish making breakfast so we can start fixing dinner.”

“Has anyone seen the morning paper?” Lee asked as he came back into the kitchen and rifled through a stack of the boys’ school papers on the kitchen table.

“I don’t think anyone brought it in.” Amanda cracked an egg on the side of the skillet, slid the contents into the pan with one hand, and dropped the empty shell back in the carton.

“I can have one of the boys get it for you.” Dotty set the package of bacon down on the counter.

“No, that’s okay. I’ll get it myself.”

The bacon was sizzling when Amanda heard a loud thump against the front door. “What was that?”

Dropping the spatula beside the frying pan, she ran to the door. She opened it and felt the rest of her family pushing against her, trying to get a peek. Lee Stetson, her suave, debonair husband, lay sprawled on the front porch. His bathrobe was flung open, revealing a pair of blue boxers, and he hastily covered himself.

“Sweetheart, are you okay?” She knelt beside him, shivering in the cold air.

“Don’t move, Lee,” Dotty ordered. “Not until you see if anything is broken.”

Amanda ran her hand along his legs and arms, as Lee carefully moved each limb.

“Nope, everything seems to be in working order.” He placed his left hand on the stoop and lifted himself off the ice.

He took a step to enter the house and one of his feet slid out from under him. Amanda grabbed his arm. “Be careful.”

He gave her one of those looks she knew so well. It was hard to describe, but she’d seen it before when she tried to baby him.

“Phillip, Jamie, please go get the rock salt and spread it on the walk.”

“Okay, Mom.”

“Sure, Mom,” Phillip replied as he followed his brother and ran towards the kitchen.

As she and Dotty helped Lee into the house, Amanda heard the door to the laundry room crash against the wall, and she flinched. Why did the boys always have to be in such a rush? The telltale sound of two pairs of feet clomping on the kitchen floor assaulted her ears. Would they ever be able to do a task quietly?

“I think the bacon’s burning,” Phillip yelled as he ran past the trio standing in the entryway.

Amanda caught the whiff of scorched bacon, and the smoke alarm began to shrill.

“Oh my gosh!” Dotty ran to the kitchen.

“Come on, sweetheart,” Amanda yelled over the shrieks of the alarm. “Why don’t you go . . .” The blaring stopped. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scream at you. Why don’t you relax and read the paper?”

“After what I went through getting it,” Lee said, holding up the paper, “the sports section better be twice as big as usual.”

The sports section wasn’t a part of the paper she usually read, and Amanda had no idea what its size should be. She wracked her brain trying to think of a consoling answer. The only thing that came to her was, “I’m sure it will be.” She wrapped her arm around Lee's waist and they started towards the couch.

Just as they stepped over the landing, Dotty appeared in front of Amanda, almost bumping heads. “Breakfast is saved,” she yelled. “Oh sorry, dear, I didn’t realize you were there.”

“That’s okay, Mother.” With any luck, the ringing in her ears would stop soon.

“I just wanted to let you know only a couple of pieces burned.”

Amanda led Lee forward, with Dotty trailing behind them. Amanda noticed him rubbing his posterior and wincing as he lowered himself onto the couch. She sat beside him, careful not to jar the sofa, and placed her arm around his shoulder. “Are you sure you aren’t hurt?”

Lee shifted his weight and grimaced. “Just my pride.”

“What happened?” Dotty asked as she slid onto the couch. Amanda moved her arm off her husband’s shoulder as her mother’s took its place, allowing Dotty to mother him. Lee was the type of man who didn’t want mothering from his wife, but he ate it up from his mother-in-law. Amanda was glad he finally had a mother figure in his life. It was good for both him and Dotty.

“I had to hunt for the blasted paper, finally found it under the tree. You’d think the paperboy could at least hit the front porch.”

“Tommy Jameson has never had a good throwing arm. One time I found the paper hidden in the bushes,” Dotty said. “And once it was on the roof. If that child takes up shot put, he'll kill someone one of these days.”

“Well, the kid needs tossing lessons. I reached for the door handle and my foot slipped out from under me. The next thing I knew I was on my a . . . um, butt, and everyone was standing over me.”

Amanda leaned down and kissed him. “I’m just glad you weren’t hurt. I don’t want to spend the holiday in the emergency room.”

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, drawing her near. “Neither do I.”

Phillip and Jamie burst into the room like twin tornados. “We threw the salt all over, Mom.”

“Yeah, we tried to slide up and down the sidewalk to make sure nobody falls.” Jamie demonstrated with halted, jerky movements, almost managing to topple into the couch.

“It was rad,” Phillip said, and sniffed the air. “Can we have breakfast now?”

Jamie nodded. “Yeah, I’m starving.”

“Okay, you two, let’s go.” Dotty got to her feet, started to follow her grandsons into the kitchen, and then turned back to face Lee and Amanda. “I’ll bring you both plates in here.”

“Thank you, Mother.”

“Just coffee for me, please.”

Dotty shook her finger. “Now, Lee, you know breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”

After mouthing those words along with Dotty, he nodded. “Okay, but make it a small one.”

Amanda swatted his arm. “How come you never eat breakfast for me?”

“I’ve decided it’s the only way I’ll never have to hear that sentence again.”

“What, that breakfast is--”

His lips covered hers, cutting off the words he was so obviously tired of hearing. “Anyway, your breakfast is best served hot and steamy, and in the privacy of our bedroom.” Lee pulled her closer.

Amanda snuggled against his chest, savoring the rough softness of his terrycloth robe against her cheek, the warmth of his body, and the comforting rhythm of his heartbeat in her ear.

********

Two hours later, the aroma of baking turkey overpowered the sulfur smell of the microwave debacle and the scorch of burned bacon. As Lee went upstairs to shower and shave, Amanda noticed he was still rubbing his rear. Maybe a hot shower would help work out the soreness.

The boys sat on the floor of the den, reading the comics and waiting for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade to start. Amanda glanced at the kitchen clock and noticed it was two minutes to nine. She watched as the boys tossed the newspaper on the coffee table and plopped down on their stomachs.

“Mom, Grandma, hurry up, it’s starting!” Phillip yelled as he pulled a pillow from the couch.

Watching the parade every year while cooking was a time-honored tradition. “We’re coming,” Dotty called out as she placed the bowl of fresh cranberry sauce in the refrigerator.

“I’ll be there in just a minute.” Amanda washed the flour off her hands, dried them on a dishtowel, and joined her mother on the couch.

The phone rang almost as soon as the parade began. After the second ring, Dotty rose, mumbling, “I’ll get it.” She was back in under a minute, after the shortest phone call Amanda had ever witnessed her mother having. She’d almost forgotten how much Dotty loved parades.

Dotty plopped down on the couch. “That was Jeannie . . . still coming . . . know if they needed to bring anything else . . . told her doing fine. What did I miss?”

“A marching band from Illinois,” Jamie answered.

As soon as Dotty got settled, the commercials came on. Four commercials later the parade coverage resumed, in sync with the ringing of the telephone. “Why can’t people call during the commercials?” she muttered as she hurried off.

“Kurt . . . know needed anything . . . grocery store . . . later . . . said no . . . sweet man. Now what did I miss this time?”

“A couple of bands and two balloons,” Phillip said.

“Which balloons?”

“Superman and Rocky and Bullwinkle.” Amanda patted the cushion next to her. “Now sit down and enjoy the parade.”

When the phone rang again, ten minutes later, Amanda placed her hand on her mother’s arm. “I’ll get it this time.”

After hanging up, she basted the turkey and returned to the den. “That was Carrie. She and Joe might be a little late. What did I miss?”

“That’s nice, dear.”

“You missed the Charlie Brown float,” Jamie answered, his eyes riveted to the screen.

“I wish I’d seen it, I just love Linus. He’s so cute with his blanket.”

“No way,” Phillip said, turning his head away from the TV. “Snoopy rocks.”

The phone had been silent for less then five minutes when it rang again, this time during a commercial. Dotty rose from the couch. “I’ve got it. I need something to drink anyway. Does anyone want anything?”

“I’ll have a soda.”

“Me, too.”

“How bout some juice instead, boys?” Amanda offered. She always tried to stock the refrigerator with healthy drinks. But a six-pack of soda always managed to make its way into the house when Lee or Dotty went shopping.

“Yeah, okay.”

Since commercials were still showing, Amanda went to the refrigerator to get the drinks. Dotty was just hanging up the phone. “That was Leatherneck. He wanted to know if Lee had enough beer and said he’d bring along some extra just in case. What’s his real name? I hate calling him by his code name.”

Amanda filled four glasses with apple juice. “I don’t know. He’s very secretive about it. Every time someone asks, he tells them to call him Leatherneck.” She picked up two of the glasses, and Dotty did the same.

“Maybe I’ll ask him this afternoon,” Dotty said as they made their way back to the den.

Seconds later, the phone rang again. “Oh, pooh! I might as well stay near that darn thing!” Dotty picked up her juice, pulled a barstool over to the phone, and grabbed the receiver.

Eight phone calls later, she returned to the couch. “I think we’re safe now, it’s been ten minutes since the last call.” She leaned forward. “Oh, isn’t he dreamy!”

“Who?”

“Patrick Swayze, the man on the television. On a scale of one to ten, he’s definitely an eleven.”

“If you say so.” Amanda smiled, thinking of her own eleven upstairs in the shower. In fact, she realized, he’d been up there over an hour. If he didn’t come back down during the next commercial break, she’d go up and check on him.

When the phone rang again, Amanda placed her hand on Dotty’s arm. “I’ll get it this time.” Who it could be? Everyone in the world seemed to have phoned them already. Maybe someone was calling to cancel.

“Hello . . . Oh my gosh, I can’t believe it.” Amanda turned her back and lowered her voice, hoping the others wouldn’t overhear. “When did you get into town? What are your plans? Would you like to come to dinner?”

She stopped rambling to let the person on the other end of the line speak. “Of course, I won’t tell anyone. I can’t wait to see you . . . No, you don’t have to bring anything . . . Okay, we’ll see you around two. Bye.”

Amanda hung up and glanced at her mother and sons. Thankfully, they all seemed to be engrossed in the parade.

“Amanda, the Radio City Rockettes are getting ready to perform in front of Macy’s.”

“I see my timing is perfect.” Lee walked into the room and wiggled his eyebrows at his wife.

“Are you feeling better? I was getting worried, you took so long.”

“I let the hot water run over me until it turned cold. That shower worked wonders.” He placed his hand around her waist, drew her body to his, and whispered, “I’ll show you how well later.”

“Ohhhhhh . . . there they are!” Dotty pointed to the television screen. “Do you see how high they can kick? It’s amazing. You know, in my younger days I could kick almost that high.”

“Really, Grandma?” Jamie looked skeptical.

“Oh my, yes. Come on, Amanda, let’s show the men in this family how it’s done.” Dotty beckoned to her.

“Mother, we really shouldn’t. There isn’t enough room, and I should go check on dinner.” Amanda tried to pull away from Lee and take a step towards the kitchen, but he held her in place.

“Now, now, you know we need at least two people to do it properly.” Dotty pushed up her sleeves and scooted a chair against the wall.

Lee nudged her towards Dotty. “Go on, sweetheart. I’d like to see you be a Rockette.”

Amanda gave Lee one of her “I’ll get you back” stares and joined her mother. There’d be no peace until she gave in. “Okay, fellas, please move the coffee table out of the way. We don’t want anyone getting hurt.”

When a space had been cleared, Lee joined the boys on the couch. Grinning broadly, he leaned back and placed his arms behind his stepsons. “On with the show.”

Dotty clasped her arm around Amanda’s waist, and she mirrored her mother’s embrace. They started out slowly, setting up a rhythm of kicks. “Right kick, left kick, right kick, left kick,” Dotty sang.

“Come on, Grandma, kick higher,” Phillip urged.

“You can do it, Mom,” Jamie called out.

They kicked higher and higher, faster and faster.

Lee applauded and whistled and Jamie and Phillip joined in.

Amanda noticed the devilish look on Lee’s face and stuck her tongue out at him. Then she concentrated on her kicks, each a little higher than the last.

Lee’s voice broke into her thoughts. “Dotty, are you okay?”

Amanda felt her mother’s arm start to pull away from her waist. She tightened her hold on Dotty, trying to steady herself.

“Grandma!” both boys yelled.

Amanda turned her head to look at her mother and saw obvious pain etched on her face.

“I . . . I . . .leg,” was all Dotty managed to say. She grabbed Amanda’s arm.

Amanda seized her mother around the waist with both arms. Lee was immediately at her side, helping hold up Dotty.

“Mother, what happened?”

“Ouch! I think I pulled a muscle.” She rubbed her right thigh.

Lee placed his hand under her arm. “Let me help you to the couch.”

“No, I can do it.” She pushed them away.

“Mother, let us help! You shouldn’t put any weight on your leg.”

Dotty tried to take a step and grimaced. “I think you’re right.”

Lee took the initiative and picked Dotty up, carrying her to the couch.

Amanda ran to the kitchen, opened the freezer, and took out a bag of peas. On her way back to the den, she grabbed a clean dishtowel and wrapped it around the icy bag.

“Put this on your leg.” Amanda handed her mother the makeshift cold pack. “I’ll get you some aspirin.”

“Thank you, both. I’ll be fine in no time. Well, one thing’s for certain. If it’s true that bad things happen in threes, then we should be done for awhile.”

“What do you mean?” Amanda called from the kitchen as she searched for the aspirin.

“The boys blew up the eggs, Lee fell on the ice, and I pulled a muscle trying to act young again. We’ve had our three bad things. The rest of the day should go as smooth as silk.”

Amanda hand her a glass and two aspirin. “I hope you’re right.”

********

An hour later, Dotty claimed she was feeling better, but she couldn’t hide her limp. “I really want to help with dinner. I feel useless just sitting on the couch.”

Lee placed a barstool at the end of the kitchen island. “Here, you can sit here and help.”

“Thank you, son.”

At the sound of the word “son” Amanda felt a warm glow inside. It happened every time Dotty called Lee “son,” and she knew Lee felt the same way. The first time Dotty had said it, Lee had smiled shyly. Later that evening, he told Amanda that it meant he was accepted into the family.

“You’re welcome.” Lee kissed his mother-in-law's forehead.

After supplying her mother with the material for chopping vegetables, Amanda opened the oven door to baste the turkey. Instead of a blast of heat, she only felt warm air. Checking the temperature to make sure no one had changed it, she let out a slow breath. “Where's the oven thermometer?”

“I think it’s in the drawer on your left. Something the matter?”

“No, I’m sure it’s nothing.”

Amanda occupied herself for the next fifteen minutes by making a tossed salad. Then, saying a silent prayer, she checked the oven temperature. “Houston, we have a problem.”

Lee walked into the kitchen and placed his empty coffee cup in the sink. “What’s wrong?”

“The oven isn’t working right. At this rate the turkey will take all day to cook.”

“We don’t have to eat on time.” Lee grabbed a carrot from Dotty’s pile. “There’s plenty around here to snack on.”

“Sweetheart, everyone is coming to dinner at two, and they expect to eat then or not long after. The turkey still needs at least three hours. What are we going to do?” Amanda leaned on the countertop, head in her hands. “Murphy’s Law strikes again.”

Lee pulled Amanda into his arms and towards the patio. “Is there any rule that says the turkey has to be baked?”

“What?”

“I think I know where you’re heading, Lee,” Dotty said as she started peeling a potato.

Amanda looked first at her husband, then her mother. “Will someone please tell me?”

“Finish cooking it on the grill,” Dotty said. “You have that brand-new gas one with a rotisserie, it shouldn’t be that hard to put the turkey on it.”

Lee kissed the top of Amanda’s nose. “Dinner is saved. Phillip, Jamie, come on, help me set up the grill on the back porch.”

While the guys were setting up the grill, Amanda took the turkey out of the oven and removed the stuffing. Maybe it had soaked up enough of the juices and would finish cooking in her not so hot oven. On second thought, she decided to throw it out. She didn’t want anyone to get food poisoning, and a trip to the emergency room seemed all too probable on a day like this.

Phillip raced into the kitchen. “We’re ready for the turkey.”

Before Amanda could speak, he’d picked up the roaster and was out the door. She shrugged; she’d wanted to make gravy with the drippings. Oh well, she’d get them when they brought the pan back inside.

Amanda watched out the window as she washed dishes. She couldn’t help but chuckle at the sight of Lee trying to get the large, half-cooked bird onto the rotisserie. He skewered the turkey and lifted it out of the pan. But he apparently misjudged its weight, and the bird slid off and plopped back into the roaster, splattering its cooking juices everywhere.

There went the gravy.

“Mother, did you pick up any canned turkey gravy at the grocery store the other day?”

“Two cans. They’re in the pantry. Why?”

Amanda tried to keep from laughing. “Because the drippings are now all over the yard and your son-in-law. And his new shirt.”

“Oh my!” Dotty rose from the barstool and limped to the window.

Lee adjusted his grip on the bird, while Jamie picked up the skewer and thrust it through the center of the turkey. Then, each holding one end, they lowered it onto the rotisserie.

The bird, Amanda noted, wasn’t turning.

Lee stood back and glared at the grill. His oven-mitt-covered hands flew up in the air, and he knelt down to eye-level with the bird. He gestured to Phillip and held the turkey while the boy pulled the skewer out, then slid it back in, guiding it through the turning mechanism.

“Amanda, did anyone make sure the grill could hold a twenty pound turkey?”

“Oh no, I didn’t check.”

“We’re about to find out.”

Amanda breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the rotisserie begin to turn.

Lee turned his head to the kitchen window, saw them watching, and gave them a smiling thumbs up. Since his back was to the boys, he didn’t notice that Phillip started to close the lid. Lee turned back to the boys, apparently saying something to Jamie. Amanda winced when she saw the lid bounce off Lee’s forearm.

Thank goodness the window was closed, and she couldn’t hear the language that was coming out Lee’s mouth. It must’ve been pretty bad. Jamie’s eyes were huge, and Phillip looked down at his feet, mumbling something.

Lee started to place his mitted hand on his eldest stepson’s shoulder, and then apparently realized that it was covered with turkey juice. Phillip and Jamie started laughing. He must’ve bribed them to keep his outburst a secret. The man was a sucker for his stepsons, and they knew it.

********

Amanda had just set the carrots to boil when Lee entered the kitchen, arms filled with firewood. “The ice is melting,” he said, as he kicked the door shut with his heel. "I thought I'd make a fire.

“Good idea.” Amanda took some of the firewood from his arms and followed him into the den. “As soon as that's done, I want you to change out that shirt. Let’s see if we can get the turkey grease out of it before it sets.”

Lee placed the logs in the wood box, glanced down at his ruined shirt, and looked up at her through hooded eyes. “Want to help me change?”

She’d like nothing better, but this was not the time. Grabbing him by the shirt collar, she kept her body from coming into contact with his greasy apparel and brought her lips to his. “I told you, Scarecrow, tonight, I promise.”

“Can’t blame a man for trying.”

Lee set the logs in the fireplace and retrieved a box of matches from the kitchen. Amanda found the previous day's newspaper, crumpled up some pages, and arranged them under the wood. As soon as Lee lit the fire and the flames began to crackle, smoke started billowing into the room.

“The flue . . . cough . . . cough . . . isn’t open.” Amanda pointed to the damper. The smoke alarm started to shriek again. She didn’t know whether to cover her mouth and nose to keep the smoke out or her ears to deafen the sounds of the alarm.

“I thought you opened it,” Lee wheezed. He hooked a fireplace tool over the damper pull and tugged.

“Me? I thought you did.”

“It’s stuck.” Lee coughed, planted his feet more firmly, and gave another tug.

The flue yielded with a protesting creak.

At the sudden loss of resistance, Lee lost his balance and toppled backward, landing on his butt. “Ouch!”

Jamie came running into the room with the fire extinguisher. “Do you want me to spray the fire?”

“No!” Lee and Amanda snapped at the same time.

Jamie’s face fell.

Darn! Amanda wanted to kick herself. “Thank you, sweetheart. Why don’t you put the extinguisher over here next to the fire place where it’ll be easy to reach.”

“Yeah, Sport, that was fast thinking, running to get it.”

Amanda saw Jamie’s eyes light up.

“Where’s all the smoke coming from?” Dotty limped into the den, waving her hand in front of her face.

“Sorry, I thought the flue was open, but it wasn’t. I should’ve checked.” Lee got to his feet, wincing.

Dotty waved her arms around. “Well, come on, everyone! Let’s open some windows to air the house out.”

“But won’t it get cold?” Phillip asked.

“We won’t have them open long enough to get cold. If you do, you can stand in front of the fire to warm up.”

Amanda’s eardrums had enough of the shrill wail of the smoke alarm. She picked up the newspaper and fanned the area around it.

********

By half past noon, the smoke had cleared from the house. The turkey was cooking on the grill. And Dotty and Lee said they were feeling much better, although Amanda spied some grimaces from her mother when she thought no one was looking. She planned on keeping an eye on Dotty the rest of the day to make sure she didn’t overexert herself. Lee, on the other hand, exhibited no ill effects from his earlier tumbles.

Amanda had just finished setting the table when their first guests, Billie and Jeannie Melrose, arrived.

“Hi, Billy, Jeannie. Have any trouble with ice on the roads?” Lee asked, slapping his boss on the back in greeting.

“Nope, it’s mostly melted.” Billy shrugged out of his overcoat.

“Good. Hey, why don’t we let the women do their thing and go watch the pre-game show?”

“Sounds like a plan. I can’t wait to watch the Dallas game.”

“And the cheerleaders.” Lee winked at Amanda.

Phillip grinned. “They have the best cheerleaders.”

Amanda shook her head. What was it with men? Get more then two in a room, and all they could think about was football and cheerleaders. “Come on, Jeannie, we’ll leave the guys to their sports.” She accepted a casserole dish from Jeannie and sniffed, as the savory aroma of green beans and onions wafted through the air. “This smells delicious.”

The women busied themselves making hors d’oeuvres, and Dotty and Jeannie traded gossip.

Ten minutes later, the doorbell chimed. Dotty put down the cracker that she was spreading with cheese and wiped her hands on a towel. “I’ll get it.” When she returned, she had her arm wrapped around Captain Kurt’s waist. “Look who we have here.”

“Hi, Kurt.” Amanda greeted him with a kiss on the cheek and took a pie carton from him. After introducing him to Jeannie, she directed him toward the den and the pregame show.

While Amanda was admiring Kurt's chocolate cream pie, with its tempting white fluff, Jamie wandered into the kitchen. "I'm hungry."

"Here." She pointed to the plate of cheese and crackers on the counter. Where did they put it? Her grocery bill kept getting larger and larger. She knew growing boys needed nourishment, but sometimes they seemed to have bottomless pits for stomachs. “You can take this into the den.”

“Thanks.” He grabbed the platter and swiveled too fast. Several crackers plopped to the floor, cheese-side down.

Between the combined efforts of Jamie, Jeanie, and Amanda, the mess was mopped up quickly, and Jamie left, holding the plate with exaggerated care.

A moment later, the doorbell rang again. Amanda looked up from the deviled eggs she was arranging on a plate when she heard Leatherneck's distinctive drawl.

“Hey, ya’ll. Where do you want me to put these?” Leatherneck nodded toward the three cases of beer in his hands.

“Hi.” Amanda shook paprika onto the eggs. “Why did you bring so much?”

“I was gonna bring more.” He set the beer down on the counter and winked at her. “But I figured you wouldn’t appreciate me getting Lee tipsy on a holiday.”

“Oh my, we don’t have room for all that in the refrigerator.” Dotty eyed the beer.

“No need. The brewskies are cold already, Mrs. West.”

“Please call me Dotty. Well, we can put some in the refrigerator and the rest, I guess, can go on the back porch.”

“Will do. Hey, guys, anyone want a beer?” Leatherneck yelled towards the den.

Lee stood up. “Toss me a couple.”

“Here ya go.” Leatherneck pitched a can of beer to Lee, who in turn tossed it to Billy. Amanda prayed nothing would get broken and that the beer wouldn’t splatter all over when they opened it. Then he tossed two more cans to Lee, who gave one to Kurt and kept the other for himself.

“Thanks. Come on, they’re showing a special on the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders." Lee popped the can, and beer started to foam out. He managed to get the can to his lips and guzzled it without spilling a drop. “Ahhhhhh . . . good and cold.” Lee set the empty beer can down. “Toss me another.”

Leatherneck threw him another beer. Instead of opening it, Lee placed it on the end table. Amanda breathed a sigh of relief.

Phillip sauntered into the kitchen, his face hopeful. “Can I have one?”

“Phillip!” Amanda shook her head. She and Lee would have to talk with him soon about drinking, and acting responsibly.

“Well now, young man. Can I see your driver’s license? Have to make sure you’re twenty-one.” Leatherneck crossed his arms.

Phillip shrugged.

“I didn’t think so. Come see me when you're legal.” He patted the teenager on the back.

Amanda saw her mother edge close to Leatherneck. Dotty placed her arm in his. “I’ll help with the door.”

“Thanks.” Leatherneck picked up two of the cases and they walked toward the porch.

“You know, I’ve been wondering--” The closing of the back door cut off Dotty’s words.

Amanda peered out the kitchen window. By the looks of it, Dotty wasn’t going to let Leatherneck back inside until she had a satisfactory answer to something. What could they be talking about? Drat! Amanda wished she knew how to read lips. Well, at least she could understand when her mother nodded her head. Leatherneck leaned in and whispered something into Dotty’s ear. Lip-reading her mother's answering grin was easy: she'd gotten the information she wanted.

“Hey, Mom, you need me to do anything?”

"Um, yes." Amanda handed Phillip the plate of deviled eggs. "Take that in the other room, please."

Dotty re-entered the kitchen, with Leatherneck close behind. “I promise, I’ll never tell. Cross my heart.”

“Promise what?”

“Oh nothing, just a little secret.” Dotty smirked. "I know you understand the importance of secrets, dear."

Aha! Suddenly Amanda remembered Dotty's earlier comment about learning Leatherneck's real name. Well, apparently her mother had completed her mission. And something told Amanda that her mother would treat the information like a matter of national security.

********

Amanda glanced over at her mother, who was humming as she searched her recipe box for the directions for making glazed carrots. Yes, more than just holiday cheer was behind the smile on Dotty's face. Her mother was definitely happy to be the one harboring a secret for a change. Well, since interrogating Dotty about Leatherneck's name would obviously be futile, she might as well get one of the guys to check the turkey.

After walking into the den, Amanda stopped behind the couch. Jamie lay on the floor, his chin in his hands. Phillip stood beside him, balancing the platter of deviled eggs, evidently mesmerized by the television. And so were the men, Lee and Kurt on the couch, Billy and Leatherneck flanking them in chairs.

“Oh, man, I’d love to have a date with that one.” Leatherneck pointed to a cheerleader dressed in white hot pants, a blue halter blouse, a white-fringed vest, and cowboy boots. He took a swig of beer and stood up. “Did ya see those knockers?” He put his hands in front of his chest, palm up, to emphasis the body part he was describing.

Amanda coughed to get his attention and directed her eyes towards the boys.

“Sorry.” With a sheepish smile, Leatherneck sat back down.

Lee turned around on the couch and clasped her hand. He brought it to his lips, kissed it, and winked.

She leaned down and whispered in his ear, “Remember, the boys are in the room. We don’t want them growing up any quicker then they already are.”

“Don’t worry," he murmured. "The game'll be on in a minute, and the only thing on anyone’s mind'll be touchdowns and field goals. I promise.” He kissed the nape of her neck, sending a tingle to her toes.

She smiled and straightened up. “I need someone to go out and check on the turkey.”

“I will, Mom.” Jamie sat up.

As a commercial came on, Phillip's gaze uncoupled from the television screen. He turned to put the platter of deviled eggs on the coffee table. But he hadn’t seen his brother move, and he tripped over Jamie's leg.

The platter flew into the air. To Amanda, it seemed to float in slow motion. Before she could take a step, Lee and Kurt jumped from the couch in an attempt to catch it. Kurt intercepted the platter behind Billy's chair, but it wobbled in his hands and the eggs tumbled off, raining down on her boss.

“Mother, Jeannie, we need towels,” Amanda yelled as she ran to Billy’s side. “Are you all right?”

“Guess I fumbled that pass. Sorry,” Kurt said.

Billy scowled for a moment and then burst into laughter. “I’m fine. When you invited me to dinner I didn’t realize I’d be wearing it.”

Jeannie, her arms laden with towels, joined in. “Why, honey, you look good enough to eat.” She grinned at Amanda. “I'm always trying to get him to dress a little less conservatively. Don't you think he looks good in, um, splotches?”

Dotty dabbed at Billy's navy pullover and then stepped back. "Hmm. Maybe you should just let me put that in the washer."

“Sorry, Mr. Melrose. Butt head here made me trip.” Phillip pointed at his brother.

“Hey, dog breath, you should watch where you’re going.”

A now almost egg-less Billy rose from the chair and pulled his sweater over his head. “It's okay, it was an accident.”

“Yeah, but if Doofus hadn’t moved, I wouldn’t have tripped.”

“It was your fault, lizard brain. If--”

“Boys, stop it!" Amanda took a deep breath and mentally counted to ten. "Please go check on the turkey.” Frustrated with the squabbling and the string of accidents over the course of the morning, she barely refrained from adding, "And stop acting like a couple of turkeys yourselves."

********

By the time Amanda had finished mashing potatoes in the kitchen, she was back in a holiday mood. After all, what else could possibly happen? Surely there couldn't be any more surprises in store . . . except for the good one she was already prepared for. So, despite a trying morning, she greeted Joe and Carrie with a broad smile when she opened the door in response to their ring.

"Come on in." Amanda leaned forward and kissed their cheeks.

“We have a surprise for you,” Joe said, with a smile.

“A surprise?” Amanda scrunched her eyebrows, wondering what it could be.

“Yeah.” Carrie nodded. “We found someone wondering the streets and invited them to dinner. I was sure you wouldn’t mind.”

“No, no, of course not. The more the merrier.” Amanda placed her hand on her stomach to quell the butterflies there. They wouldn’t invite a stranger, would they?

Maybe they would. She understood Joe's desire to make the world a better place through his job . . . and maybe he didn't leave his work at the office today . . .

A familiar voice came from the bushes. “Hello, niece.”

“Rupert! Why didn’t you call and let us know you were coming? Lee would’ve picked you up.” Amanda hurried forward and kissed his cheek.

“I knew you wouldn’t mind,” Joe murmured as they walked into the house. “When we saw him, I recognized him from your wedding.

“I want to surprise Lee.” Taking Rupert's hand, she tiptoed toward the den.

A few steps later, she realized that stealth wasn't necessary. The men watching the game jumped to their feet, yelling and pumping their arms in the air. “Run . . . run . . .yes . . . touchdown!”

Lee clapped Leatherneck on the back. “Did you see--”

“Hello, nephew,” Rupert said.

The room quieted and Lee turned around. “Rupert!” He grinned and engulfed the older man in an embrace.

“Good to see you, Lee.”

“I didn’t know you were coming.” Lee turned to his wife and raised an eyebrow. “Did you?”

Amanda shook her head. “Big surprise to me, too. But a very good one.”

“Why didn’t you call?" Lee asked. "I would’ve picked you up.”

Rupert sank down on the couch. “Every time I tried, your phone was busy.”

“I’m sorry, the phone's been ringing off the hook.” Amanda sat down next to him.

“It's just that this was an emergency. It’s serious this time. I really mean it.”

Amanda saw the concern etched on Lee’s face. He knelt by the two of them, and his hand gripped Amanda’s leg. “What’s the matter?”

“You wouldn’t believe what they planned to feed us today. When I saw the menu, I had to do something.”

Amanda felt Lee’s grip loosen and saw a smile replace his worried look. “Oh. What about Lois and Glynis? I can go pick them up.”

Rupert waved his hand in the air. “Oh no, those two are off to Atlantic City. Did they ask me to go along? Nope, just the two of them having a high ole time.”

"Well, I'd say we're the ones who hit the jackpot with you joining us." Amanda hesitated for a moment. "But why did Joe and Carrie find you walking around the neighborhood?”

“I got on the wrong dang bus, and it dropped me off seven blocks away. They were kind enough to offer an old man a ride.”

“Well, you’re here now, and that’s what counts."

********

As Amanda laid out another place setting to accommodate Rupert, she thought how lucky it was that no one had noticed the extra setting already in place. As she started back to the kitchen, the doorbell rang. “I'll get it!”

Opening the front door a crack, she peered out and then stepped outside.

“Amanda, my dear.” Their other surprise guest held out a bottle of champagne. “I know you told me not to bring anything but I couldn’t come empty handed.”

“Thank you.” Amanda accepted the bottle and gave a kiss in return. “Let’s sneak you into the dining room.”

Five minutes later, Amanda tapped her husband's shoulder. “Could you help me with something?”

He stood up. “Sure. What do you need?”

“There’s a platter on the top shelf of the china cabinet that I can’t reach.”

As Lee entered the dining room, Amanda shut the door. She was careful to keep her eyes averted from the surprise guest behind it.

“Which one, sweetheart?” He looked up at the shelf.

“Oh, silly me. I already have it.”

Lee turned around to his wife. “You wha--”

Emily Farnsworth stepped forward.

Lee's eyes lit up. He rushed to her side and hugged her. “Emily! What a great surprise! Why didn’t you tell me you were in town?”

“I just finished an assignment in New York. Instead of flying back to London, I caught a shuttle here. I called Amanda this morning, and we set this up.”

Lee grabbed Amanda’s hand and pulled her to him. “You sneak, have I told you lately that I love you?” He wrapped her in his arms.

"Oh, I figured that out myself." She grinned over her shoulder at Emily. “Never underestimate a female spy.”

*******

Amanda finally abandoned all attempts to resuscitate her ailing oven and tried to be thankful for the microwave. As she transferred food to microwavable containers and slid food in and out of the small cooking space, Dotty, Jeannie, and Carrie washed and dried dishes.

“It’s too crowded in here for all of us. Do you mind if I make some sketches of everyone to commemorate the day?” Emily held up her sketchbook.

“Of course not. I’d love you to make another drawing of Lee and me.”

Emily touched Amanda’s arm. “Count on it, my dear. Now, where would be the best place to set up?” She glanced around, narrowing her eyes. “I need as much natural light as possible.”

Amanda pointed. “How about the breakfast table?”

Emily spread open the curtains and smiled. “Perfect. Now let’s see. Who will be my first victims?” She laughed softly, but her body shook as if her love of life made it hard for her to contain her joy. She gestured to Carrie. “Come on, grab your husband away from the telly.”

Five minutes later, loud barks over-rode the quiet conversation between the artist and her subjects, the bleeping of the microwave, and the splash of dishwater. Dotty rolled her eyes. “Well, the Ferguson’s dog is in the back yard, again.”

Amanda headed toward the den. “I’ll tell the guys to take her home.” But when she realized no one was likely to hear her over the blare of the television and the men's roared responses, she gave a resigned shrug. “Okay, I'll do it myself.”

Turning towards the French doors, she caught a glimpse of brown and white fur. “Oh, Tinkerbell!”

Billy touched her arm. “Did you say that dog's name is Tinkerbell?”

“Oh, she’s a sweet dog, a teddy bear.”

“Sweet? That St. Bernard looks like it could eat me for breakfast.”

“No, really. She’s a big baby.”

At that moment, Tinkerbell trotted up to the French doors and peered in at the occupants. Amanda squinted in disbelief and yelled, “Oh my gosh! Tinkerbell has the turkey!”

Those words cut through the football patter and seemed to arouse some primitive male hunter instinct among the television viewers. Lee, Leatherneck and Kurt ran out the French doors, as Phillip and Jamie raced to the back door and rushed into the yard.

Amanda stumbled forward, sank down on the couch, and placed her head in her hands. She couldn't bear to watch. Maybe this was just a bad dream. Yes, that was it; the alarm clock would go off soon, marking the start of a perfect day.

The very substantial touch of her mother's hand shattered the comforting illusion. “Oh, sweetheart.” Dotty sat down beside her. “Maybe it wasn’t the turkey.”

“I saw a leg in her mouth,” Amanda said from behind her hands. “Thanksgiving is ruined.”

“Maybe it isn't our turkey,” Dotty said without conviction.

“Mother! How many people are cooking turkeys anywhere except an oven? And how many of them are putting their turkeys out near *our* backyard.”

Emily sat down on her other side and put an arm around her shoulder. “The day isn’t spoiled, even if the main course is now the dog’s feast. You have so many blessings to be thankful for today. You’re happily married to a man who adores you. Your sons are healthy and growing into fine young men. You have friends all around helping celebrate the holiday. Look on the bright side.”

Dotty patted Amanda’s back. “Emily’s right, sweetheart.”

“Yes, she is.” Lifting her head from her hands, Amanda wrapped her arms around the two older women. “And I love you both.”

At the sound of the door opening, she turned her head and saw Lee enter.

“Phillip and Jamie are taking Tinkerbell home.” He shrugged. “If it’s any consolation, Tinkerbell loved the dinner.”

Amanda got to her feet. “What are we going to have for a main course? Everything's frozen and the oven isn’t working.”

Lee took her hand. “Don't worry about it. Leatherneck and I'll see if we can find any fast food joints or restaurants open. I promise we'll find something for dinner.” He kissed her nose, then her lips.

“Thanks. But I just don't see how this happened.”

Before she could say more, Phillip and Jamie burst through the door, yelling, “Tinkerbell's home now!”

Lee glanced over at his stepsons. “Do you want to explain this to your mom or should I?”

Phillip shuffled his feet and stared at the floor. “Umm . . . when we went to check on the turkey, someone forgot to close the grill.” He looked accusingly at Jamie.

Jamie smacked his arm. “You were supposed to close it.”

“ARGGG! Both of you, stop it!” Amanda wasn't really angry, but she was too frustrated to tolerate brotherly squabbling. “You had a job to do, together. So if there's any blame here, you share it.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Phillip mumbled.

Jamie nodded.

Amanda sighed. “Okay, I know we have a lot of company, and you were probably in a hurry. This time, we’ll chalk it up to a day of disasters. But I expect you to go outside and clean up the grill, while Lee goes out to get the rest of dinner.”

“We’re sorry, Mom.”

“I know.” She smiled at her sons.

Leatherneck stepped through the back door and grinned at Amanda. “Don't worry, Mrs. S. We'll dig up something good." He jingled his car keys. "Ready, Lee?”

“Wait a minute.” Amanda put her hand on Lee's arm. “I think you should take my car. In case the roads are icy.” She hurried away to get her keys.

When she returned, she handed the keys to Lee and kissed him. “Be careful.”

“Always.” Lee returned the kiss.

Leatherneck cleared his throat. “You two gonna suck face all afternoon? Or are we gonna get some food?”

“Okay, okay.” Lee grinned.

Amanda followed the two men as they walked to the front door. Leatherneck opened it, took a step forward, and came to an abrupt halt.
Obviously unprepared for this, Lee bumped into his back. “What’s the matter?”

Amanda tried to peer over her husband’s shoulder, but the men blocked her view.

Suddenly Leatherneck gave a whoop of laughter, bowed, and made a sweeping, almost chivalric gesture with his arm.

Lee burst into laughter as well, and Amanda edged past him to see the source of the joke.

Dirty, disheveled, scowling, Francine stood on the doorstep. The woman always found in expensive and impeccable clothes wore a torn coat spattered with mud. The remnants of a sleek chignon billowed about her head in tangled whisps. She looked like she'd been through hell . . . or perhaps a mudwrestling match.

Amanda swatted Lee and Leatherneck. “Stop that, it’s not funny. Go get dinner and let me take care of Francine.” Taking Francine's arm, she led her inside the house.

“Sorry,” Leatherneck mumbled.

“Are you okay?” Lee asked.

“No, I’m not. I had to walk four blocks and a monster dog came out of nowhere.” She shuddered. “It knocked me down, jumped all over me, and licked my face.”

“Why are you here?”

“Smyth's orders. I'm putting a contract out on him as soon as I can.” She took a deep breath. “As soon as I call the auto club to figure out why my car went dead and get Billy's signature on some papers.”

Leatherneck grabbed Lee’s arm. “Let’s get out of here. I don’t think we want to hear any more.”

“You two go on.” Amanda patted Francine's arm. “Why don't I take you up to our room so you can telephone and freshen up in private?” Well, she thought, at least Francine and I have Thanksgiving Day dog disasters as something in common now.

*******

Francine's mood was obviously not improved by the news that it could take up to four hours for someone from the auto club to arrive. Getting a good look at her appearance wasn't going to help either, Amanda thought, as she led Francine to their bathroom. After Francine shut the door behind her, Amanda sat down on the bed to wait. She glanced at her watch, counting the seconds. One. Two.

“Oh my God!”

Yes, that was just what Amanda expected to hear.

Francine flung open the bathroom door. “I look horrible! My clothes are ruined!”

“I'm sure your coat can be dry-cleaned and repaired.”

“It's Chanel. And it's ruined.” Francine threw the coat on the floor. “I’m putting a new one on my expense report. Smyth is going to pay for sending me on this milk run.”

Suggesting buying less expensive clothes as an alternative solution probably wouldn't go over well, Amanda thought. She pointed to Francine's dress. “Looks like there's some mud on your skirt, too. Why don't I throw your dress in the wash while you wait?”

Francine stared at her like she'd suggested throwing the garment out the window. “Nooooo . . . this can’t be washed. It's an original.” She lifted the hem, looking at it in disgust. “It has to be dry cleaned. Now what am I going to do?”

Hmm. Most of her clothes would be a little small on Francine. “I've got an idea.”

Amanda hurried over to the dresser, and pulled out a pink Georgetown sweatshirt and matching sweat pants. She turned and held the clothes out to Francine. “You can wear these.”

“Do you have something in another color? Pink doesn’t look well on me.”

Amanda rolled her eyes. “I have a pair of sweats in brown. Everything else is in the laundry.”

Francine bit her lower lip. “I guess these will have to do. Oh, I need to check in and tell them I’ll be late getting back.”

One minute later Francine slammed the receiver back in its cradle. “I don't believe it. Smyth has left for the day, with orders not to be disturbed. All of this could’ve been avoided.” She sank down on the bed, her body sagging in defeat.

While Amanda couldn't understand Francine's attachment to expensive clothes, she could empathize with her frustration. “Listen, why don’t I bring the papers downstairs for Billy to sign while you take a shower?”

“I’d kill for a hot shower.”

Amanda patted her shoulder. “You’re welcome to have dinner with us, too, when Lee and Leatherneck get back with the food.”

“Thanks, I'd like that.” Francine stood up. “But aren't you cooking a turkey? Isn't that what people in suburbia do on Thanksgiving?”

“You don’t want to know about the turkey. And I don't even want to think about it.”

“That bad?”

“Let's just say, I think you'd like Dr. Smyth to meet with the same fate as our turkey.”

********

Half an hour later, Lee returned, carrying two buckets of chicken from Quickie Chicken Snack Shack. When she saw the name on the containers, Amanda remembered what almost happened at the hands of James Delano and drew in a deep breath.

Lee touched her hand. “I’m sorry, it was the only place open.”

“It’s okay. I’ll put the pieces on a platter and the buckets in the trash. Out of sight, out of mind.”

“That’s my girl.” Lee kissed her cheek and went back to the den.

“Thanks for the use of the shower, Amanda.” Francine entered the kitchen.

“You’re welcome.” Amanda had a hard time not staring. Face devoid of make-up, hair pulled back into a simple ponytail, dressed in sweats, Francine looked like . . . a normal person.

“The guys want another beer.” Lee stopped mid stride, his mouth hanging open. “What in the world are you wear--”

“Don’t say a word, Scarecrow.” Francine pointed her index finger at him. “Or I just may have to tell some secrets of my own.”

Lee arched an eyebrow.

“Here.” Amanda handed him some beers. “Go back to your football game.” She pushed him from the room.

“Why is she wearing your clothes?" Lee whispered.

“Hers are ruined.”

“I should have Jamie take her picture. But I know she'd pay me back for it.”

Amanda grinned. “I've got a better idea. Emily is making sketches of everyone. I’ll have her make two of Francine. One for us, to be used when we need it.”

“Mrs. Stetson, I love the way your mind works.”

********

Amanda glanced over the food laid out on the sideboard in the dining room. The three large pizzas contributed by Leatherneck and the fried chicken Lee bought looked out of place next to the bowls heaped with mashed potatoes, green been casserole, and glazed carrots, but at least no one would go hungry. And setting things up buffet style, leaving only gravy, rolls, and condiments on the table, left enough room at the table for fourteen place settings, though it would still be a tight fit.

When she'd summoned everyone to the table, and people had crowded into their seats, Amanda tapped her glass with a knife to get everyone’s attention. “I think before we serve ourselves, we should say a blessing.”

“I'll do it, Mom,” Phillip said.

“Can I say one, too?” Jamie asked.

Amanda closed her mouth and tried to look as if she hadn't been staring at her sons in shocked surprise. They must be feeling awfully guilty about the turkey debacle. “Of course. You start, Phillip.” She bowed her head.

Phillip cleared his throat. “Good drink, good meat, Good Lord, let’s eat.”

Before she could admonish Phillip, Jamie called out, “Father, Son, Holy Ghost, longest arm gets the most. Yeah, God!”

“Now, boys, you know those aren’t proper blessings--.” Amanda began, but she was interrupted by a voice from the other end of the table.

“In the mouth, past the gums, watch out stomach, here it comes.” Rupert chuckled.

“Amen,” Leatherneck called out above the peals of laughter.

Amanda shook her head. “Well, I guess those kind of fit a day like this. But I think we need a serious prayer, too.”

“If you'd allow me, Amanda?” Emily said.

Amanda gave her a grateful smile. “Thank you, Emily.”

Emily bowed her head. “Here’s to the blessings of the year. Here’s to the friends we hold so dear. To peace on earth . . . both far and near. For this we are blessed. The love of family. The company of friends.”

“Amen.” Lee replied. He squeezed Amanda's hand. “Are you okay?”

Amanda brushed away a tear and sniffed. “I’m fine.”

“You’re crying.”

“That was just so beautiful and true. We are blessed with family and friends. But most of all . . .” She brought her fingers to the side of his face. “I’m married to a wonderful person.”

Lee took her hand from his face and kissed it. “I think that should be my line.”

“Can we eat now, Mom?” Jamie held up his plate in his hand.

“What?” Amanda turned towards her son and realized everyone at the table was watching them. “Oh, I’m sorry. Of course.”

The meal went off without a hitch. Well, almost, Amanda thought as she cleared away empty dishes. The gravy boat almost tipped onto Jeannie as Phillip handed it across the table. And Jamie knocked over the salt when he threw rolls, like baseballs, down the table to Leatherneck and Kurt. But no one seemed to miss the turkey. And, most important, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

********

To fill the time between dinner and the big game between Dallas and Minnesota, Leatherneck suggested a backyard game of touch football. Lee nominated Jamie and Phillip as opposing captains, and the boys quickly chose their team members from the men, with Rupert volunteering to act as umpire. Emily sketched Francine's portrait, while the other women put away the food and did the dishes.

Francine must be allergic to kitchen work, Amanda thought with a grin, if she'd rather pose in her current outfit than wrap up left-overs.

She had just settled down with a fragrant cup of fresh coffee when a “psst” from the door caught her attention.

Red-faced, Kurt entered, his hands behind him. “Amanda, where's Dotty?”

“What’s the matter?”

“I . . . ummm . . . ripped my pants and was wondering if she could sew them up.”

“She’s upstairs, showing Jeannie and Carrie her new quilt. The sewing machine's in her room. Why don’t you go on up?”

“Thanks.” Kurt sidled along the edge of the kitchen, hugging the cabinets with his rear.

Amanda stifled a laugh at the sight of her mother's boyfriend edging away, walking backwards and brushing the wall to conceal his ripped pants. Well, they could certainly cope with any problem that could be fixed by a sewing machine.

She leaned against the kitchen island and sipped her coffee, enjoying the peace and quiet. It wouldn’t last. Looking at her watch, she saw that it was almost four, the start time for the big football game. Pretty soon, the guys would be coming in and taking over the den.

The back door opened and Lee entered, his arm around Leatherneck’s waist.

“What happened?” Amanda put her coffee cup down.

Leatherneck groaned and held his side as Lee helped him to a bar stool. Billy, Rupert and the boys followed. Francine and Emily joined the group congregating around the injured man.

Leatherneck grimaced. “I’m okay, just some bruised ribs.”

“Do you need to go the emergency room for x-rays?” Amanda asked.

“Naw, just to wrap ‘em. We know what it feels like to bust a rib. Don’t we, Lee?”

“Yeah, we sure do.”

“They’re right, Amanda,” Emily said. "Nothing will help a bruised rib but time and aspirin."

“I’ll get the bandages.” Lee headed upstairs.

Amanda went to the cupboard, took out the aspirin and started to fill a glass with water.

“Listen,” Leatherneck said, glancing at his watch. “Why don't you guys catch the start of the game? Tell me and Lee about anything good we miss.”

As the men trouped out of the kitchen, Amanda set the aspirin and water in front of Leatherneck.

“Those would go down better with a cold beer.” He grinned.

“I think you should drink water. You don’t want to get sick.”

“Can I have a beer chaser? For medicinal purposes?”

Amanda gave him a sidelong glance as she retrieved a can from the refrigerator. “I can’t believe I’m doing this. Okay, go easy the rest of the day. First the water.”

Leatherneck popped the aspirin into his mouth, frowned at the glass of water, and downed the contents, with a look of disgust.

Amanda gave him the can of beer. “Thank you.”

“No, thank you.” He opened the can and took a long drink.

“Here we go.” Lee set the bandages down on the counter. “Take off your shirt.”

“How did you get hurt?” Emily asked.

Leatherneck took his shirt off, wincing. “I had the ball and was running for a touchdown. Lee tried to tackle me but I got away. Didn’t think this ole boy still had it in him, did ya, buddy?”

“You surprised the hell out of me.” Lee started to wrap his ribs.

“I thought I was home free. Then Phillip came barreling out of nowhere. Next thing I know, I’m at the bottom of a pile, the wind knocked out of me. I must’ve fallen on the ball wrong or something. Ouch! Too tight, Lee.”

“Don’t be such a wimp.” Francine pretended to poke him in the ribs.

“Sorry.” Lee loosened the bandage a little. “I tried to stop when I saw Phillip tackle you. My feet hit some mud, I started sliding, and I landed on top of both of you.”

“Don't worry about it. What’s a few injuries in the name of football?”

********

Three and a half hours later the men were engrossed in the Dallas/Minnesota game that was in overtime. The women had settled in the dining room to play penny ante poker. Dotty had requested the practice to help her make a good showing when she and Kurt played at his lodge the following week.

Amanda watched Francine study her cards. Surprisingly, she seemed to be enjoying herself--at least when she thought no one was looking.

“Your bet, Amanda,” Emily said.

“Two, please.” After evaluating her hand and her meager pile of pennies, she sighed. "I fold."

When Carrie, Jeannie, and Francine folded as well, only Emily and her mother were left in the game.

“Call,” Emily said.

Dotty laid down her hand. “A pair of aces and a pair of eights.”

“You have the ‘dead man’s hand.’

“The what?”

“That's what Wild Bill Hickok was holding when he was shot. Ever since it’s been known as the ‘dead man’s hand.’ It’s as unlucky for you as it was for him.” Emily spread out her cards with a flourish. “Four kings.”

Amanda rose from the table. “I’ll see how much longer the guys will be.”

“Okay, sweetheart,” Dotty replied as she shuffled the deck of cards.

Amanda started out of the room, but stopped and turned when she heard her mother call the next game in a deep drawl. “Five card draw, deuces wild, ante up, girls.”

********

Walking toward the den, Amanda heard the men cheering wildly.

“He’s at the forty! Come on boy, run,” Leatherneck shouted.

“The thirty!” Kurt cheered.

“The twenty, he’s going to go all the way!” Lee yelled.

Just as she entered the room, the television screen flickered and went dark. No picture, no sound.

“Noooooooo!” the guys moaned. Lee raced to the back of the set and fiddled with the plug and wires. He changed channels, and Jimmy Stewart appeared on screen, a small girl clasped in his arms. “Listen, Daddy,” the tot lisped. “Teacher says, every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.”

Jimmy's gentle “That's right, that's right . . . Attaboy, Clarence” was drowned out by howls of protest.

Lee gave the channel knob a vicious twist. The screen filled with grey static and an irritating buzz filled the air.

“What happened?” Amanda asked as Phillip raced past her.

“I don’t know.” Lee ran his hand through his hair and flipped through an infomercial about hair transplants, a cooking show, and a public television special about crop rotation that Amanda recognized as an IFF documentary. “The other channels are working.”

“Try it again,” Leatherneck urged.

Lee turned back to the channel that should have been broadcasting the football game.

Again, nothing but static. The screen flickered, the buzz stopped, and Amanda heard six men suck in a breath.

A frowning cartoon face appeared on the screen, above the legend, “Sorry! We're experiencing technical difficulties.”

Transistor radio in hand, Phillip burst into the room. He fumbled with the dials. When the announcer's voice was heard, the room became silent as everyone stared at the radio.

“That was the most amazing winning touchdown I’ve ever seen!” a man's voice jabbered. “Dallas wins 44 to 38 in overtime! A stirring comeback win for the Cowboys! The most exciting turnaround I've seen in twenty years of broadcasting!”

“Damn, we missed it.” Lee punched the off button and the screen went black.

“But you know your team won, right? That's the important thing, isn't it?” Amanda asked.

Seven pairs of male eyes stared at her.

Apparently not.

Lee dropped back on the couch and closed his eyes. “Not exactly.”

While the other men talked about the parts of the game they had seen, Amanda went to Lee and put her arm around his waist. “I’m sorry your game was ruined.” She kissed him. “I think I have a way of making it up to you.”

Lee arched an eyebrow and smiled. “Oh, yeah?”

Amanda kissed him again. “How 'bout we have dessert.”

Lee’s smile turned to a frown, and he bowed his head.

“Hey.” She put her mouth next to his ear and whispered, “One for now, for everyone. And one for later, for us.”

Lee wrapped his arms around her. “I can wait, but not much longer,” he whispered into her ear, and nibbled her earlobe.

A jolt of electricity coursed through Amanda’s body and she fought the urge to send everyone home. Instead, she pulled away and extended her hand. “Let’s get dessert.”

Jamie looked up. “It’s about time. I’m starved.”

********

With so many volunteers, it didn't take long to set the table and load the sideboard with apple, pecan, and pumpkin pies, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate cake.

Amanda turned to Lee before they joined the others in the dining room. “I'm sure I'm forgetting something.”

“If it's important, you'll remember. And the sooner everyone eats, the sooner they leave and we can be alone.” He picked up the ice bucket holding the champagne donated by Emily. “Let's pop this baby.”

After Amanda and Lee took their places at the table, Dotty said, “Well, I know what I want.” She smiled at Kurt. “Chocolate cream pie.”

“Oh my gosh!” Amanda smacked her forehead. “That’s what I was forgetting. It’s in the refrigerator.”

“Let me get it,” Joe offered.

A minute later, he returned, bearing the last dessert. “Here you a--

A stumble over his untied shoelace cut his words short. Like a classic vaudeville performer, he wobbled, threw up his arms to regain his balance, and sent the pie flying.

Instinctively, Amanda knew it was going to land on her. Nothing catastrophic had happened to her today. Not yet. And now her time had come.

The pie came hurtling toward her like a pastry space ship and landed in her lap. Sheer velocity--or perhaps the same impish law of physics that causes all crackers to land cheese-side down--forced chocolate filling and whipped cream to spurt into her face.

Joe gasped. “I’m sorry, Amanda.”

She picked up a napkin and wiped whipped cream from her eyes. “No harm done.”

“Where’s the camera, Jamie?” Lee gasped between laughs. “We need a picture of this.”

“I’ll be right back.” Jamie raced from the room.

“No way, Lee Stetson.” Amanda shook her head. “You aren’t getting a photo of me like this.”

He walked around to Amanda’s chair and knelt down. “You have to admit it's funny.” He licked chocolate cream off the end of her nose. “And yummy.”

“Oh? Well . . . ” Amanda held his gaze while she cupped whipped cream and chocolate filling in her hand. "I guess I should share, then." Her hand darted to his face, and she smeared a glob of goo across his cheek and mouth.

Lee ran his tongue around his lips. “Yup, still funny and yummy. Come here.” He took the pie plate from her lap, put his hands on her shoulders, and helped her stand up. Then he wrapped his arms around and kissed her, chocolate and whipped cream smearing their faces.

“Mom. Lee.”

They turned at the sound of Jamie’s voice.

The flash from the camera blinded Amanda and she blinked. Before she could say Jamie's name, he ran from the room yelling, “I got 'em.”

“Oh, Lee, Amanda!” Dottie wiped tears of laughter from her eyes. “It's too bad I won't get any of that pie, but it looks wonderful on you.”

“Mmm-hmm. I think I'll need a copy of that picture for the office," Francine added. “It'll make up for not getting the chocolate.”

Amanda caught Lee's eye, and he winked back at her. Sometimes the communication skills between them that they'd developed in the field came in pretty handy at home, too. She ran her fingers along the edge of the table, scooping up remnants of the pie, and noticed Lee was doing the same.

“Well, holidays are a time for sharing.” She giggled. “So have some.”

She tossed chocolate cream at her mother, hitting her cheek. Lee followed with a splat that caught Francine in the eye. Soon everyone in the room was wearing whipped cream or chocolate pie.

Amid the peals of laughter, Lee went over to Phillip and whispered something to him.
Phillip gave the thumbs up sign and left the room.

“What was that about?” Amanda asked.

“You'll find out.” Lee smiled smugly and fingered a can of whipped cream.

A couple of minutes later, Phillip returned, holding something behind his back. “He'll be down in a minute. And I made sure he didn't see me sneak into your room.”

As the sound of Jamie's feet thumping down the stairs, Lee snatched up another can of whipped cream from the sideboard and handed that one to Amanda. He shook his can and murmured to her, “Here he comes. Let's get him.”

Jamie stepped into the room, grinning. “You better not have eaten all the chocolate cake.” As he caught sight of the remnants of whipped cream and chocolate filling spattered in the hair, faces, and clothes of the others, his eyes widened in surprise.

“Now!” Lee yelled and squirted whipped cream in Jamie's face.

Amanda tried to do the same. But Jamie ducked away, and all she managed to hit was his arms.

“Hey.” Jamie held up his hands in surrender. “Ya got me.”

Phillip pulled out the camera he held behind his back and took Jamie’s picture. “Now we really got you, dude. That's gonna be good. I think I’ll have extra copies made to pass around school.”

“Mom,” Jamie groaned.

Lee held out his hand for his camera. “I think this picture and the one Jamie took earlier are for private family use only. Agreed?”

Phillip shrugged. “Agreed.”

“You know what, nephew?” Rupert wiped a spot of cream off his cheek. “You two sure know how to show an old guy a good time. I’m gonna have to come back again soon.”

“Here, here. I can’t remember having so much fun at a dinner party.” Emily licked whipped cream off her finger.

After cleaning up as best they could, everyone enjoyed dessert. Amanda excused the boys to play video games when they finished their third helpings of pie, and the adults lingered over their coffee.

Billy pointed to the champagne. “You gonna pop that bottle, Lee? Or let it chill all night?”

Lee retrieved the bottle from the bucket. “I want to make a toast.” He removed the foil, loosened the cork, and grasped it. “To friends and family.”

With a loud pop, the cork flew out of the bottle and into the chandelier. Glass rained down on the table.

Amanda jumped at the sound of glass shattering. “Is anyone hurt?” she called out, as she scanned for any signs of injuries.

Miraculously, no one was cut by flying glass; the debris had all landed in the middle of the table.

Lee stood still, his eyes moving back and forth from the bottle to the chandelier. “I don’t know what happened. I’ve never had a bottle do that before.”

“Well, I guess we should be thankful that no one was hurt.” Amanda rose to get new glasses. “Let's drink to that, along with toasting friends and family.”

********

Amanda sat down on the couch and snuggled against Lee. “Well, despite everything that went wrong, I think everyone had a good time.”

He put his arm around her. “I know I did. Though I hope things go a little smoother next year.”

Dotty entered the den, carrying a tray laden with cups, and set it on the coffee table. “Hot chocolate for everyone!”

“Sweet.” Phillip stood up from the floor. “I think I'll get some chocolate cake to go with it. Anybody else want some?”

“Me.” Jamie grabbed a cup from the tray. “But I'll cut it myself.”

Dotty shook her head. “I don't know where they put it.” She yawned. “We should be getting to bed soon if we want to hit the sales first thing in the morning.”

“I’ll be ready, Mother. Do you think you’ll be okay with your leg? We do an awful lot of walking.”

“Oh my, yes. I’m not going to let a little muscle strain keep me down during the biggest shopping day of the year!” She paused and shot a speculative glance Lee's way. “Of course, my injury might make it hard for me to carry packages. I could use some help.”

Amanda felt Lee stiffen, but his voice sounded only slightly strained when he said, “Oh, I'd be glad to.”

Dotty smiled. “Well, thank you, dear.”

“I owe you,” Amanda whispered.

He nodded.

She could only imagine what a day at the mall with Dotty West, tireless shopper, would be like for Lee. “Big time,” she added, sotto voce.

“Uh-huh.”

The entrance of Phillip and Jamie, bearing slabs of chocolate cake, apparently kept her mother from noticing their interchange. She looked back at Amanda and Lee and smiled. “I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time. You know, I had a wonderful time today, too.
Even though Murphy’s Law ruled, I wouldn’t change it for anything.”

Amanda laughed. “I don’t think even Murphy anticipated the day we’ve had. It’s been one heck of a disaster-filled day.”

“True. But I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

“You wouldn’t?”

“Nope, this is one of the best Thanksgivings I’ve ever had.”

Lee set his empty cup of hot chocolate on the table. “How is that possible?”

Dotty stood up, went to the couch, and kissed Lee on the forehead. “Because it’s our first Thanksgiving with you as part of our family.”

“You said it, Grandma,” Jamie added, his words slightly garbled by a mouthful of cake.

Phillip's nodded. “For once, I agree with worm br-- um, Jamie.”

Lee stood up and hugged Dotty, then went to the boys and did the same. “I didn’t know what having a family meant until I became part of yours. You’ve given me a lot to be thankful for.”

“I’ve had enough excitement for one day.” Dotty's voice cracked with emotion. “I’m going to bed. Come on, fellas, let’s give your mother and Lee a little alone time.”

Amanda rested her head on Lee's shoulder. “Would you like any dessert?”

Lee placed his hand on her check and lifted her face to his. “What did you have in mind?” He kissed her lightly.

“The kind we can enjoy together . . . alone . . . upstairs.” Amanda deepened the kiss.

“I'd love it.” Lee stood up and held out his hand to her. “Are all holidays this exciting in our family?”

“Let's just say we're unforgettable!” Amanda led him to the stairs. “I think we should try to repeat this at Christmas Eve.”

Lee stared at her.

“Hey.” She shrugged. “I know we had our own little tradition going, but I'll opt for a dead oven and a thieving dog over being trapped in a nest of killers and thieves every year.”

He laughed. “You may have a point. And now, Mrs. Stetson, to bed.”

“Last one in bed is a rotten egg!” Amanda called out as she raced up the stairs.

“Did you have to mention eggs?”

Happy Thanksgiving

The End