- Text Size +

The car screeched to a halt and Nathan fairly jumped out. Kristin slid across into the driver's seat.

"I don't know when I can get word to you." He told her "Where will you be?"

"At the hospital… they're going to need me."

"All right but you stay there… don't leave until I come for you or I send someone for you."

She nodded. "Nathan, please be careful. Come back to me." She said, her lip trembling as she tried to hold back her tears.

"Don't worry Baby, I'll be back." He vowed and kissed her fiercely before stepping back and running away.

The dead and wounded just kept coming in a steady non-stop stream of pain and blood. It was a sight of horror, one she had prayed never to go through ever again. The air was filled with the acrid scent of smoke, fire and gun powder and the constant sound of far off explosions.

Kristin tried to keep her mind focused on the injured men, hoping and praying that Nathan was alive and well but she couldn't dwell on that. If she did she wouldn't be able to continue.

She tried to hold back her tears as another young man died. She gently pulled his hand from hers, closed his eyes and pulled the blood stained sheet up over him. As she turned away she saw a tearful Katie walking towards her. "What? Oh god, Nathan?" she asked fearfully.

"I haven't heard anything." the younger woman reassured her.

"Then what is it?"

"The Arizona is gone… she went under with all her crew aboard. They didn't stand a chance."

"Oh God..."

"We've lost the Okalahoma, the Utah, the California and the West Virginia. Not only that, Hickam field is gone. All of the planes were destroyed while still on the ground."

"The world has gone totally insane." Kristin murmured as she closed her eyes, burying her face in her hands.

"Are you all right?"

"I don't think I'll ever be all right again. You know… I came here and thought I could forget about the horrors affecting my home. It was so peaceful. We've all lived in blissful innocence… thinking the war wouldn't touch us here. Oh how very wrong we were. That innocence has just been blown away and we'll never be the same again. But as long as I don't lose Nathan, as long as he's safe... I can face all these horrors… I can survive. The fates wouldn't be so cruel as to make me face that kind of loss yet again… would they?" she questioned the young woman.

"I don't know." Katie replied tearfully.

"I have to find him. I have to know he's all right."

"Kristin you can't go to the base, it's too dangerous… too chaotic."

"I don't care. I have to know."

"Look, the Headquarters are all being moved to the IoLani Palace. Check for him there."

Kristin parked the car in front of the Iolani Palace. Getting out she ran up the stairs heading for the door. As she reached it an M.P. moved to block her path.

"I'm sorry ma'am but you'll have to return to your car."

"Please, I have to get inside. I'm looking for someone. Look, I'm a doctor." she pulled out her ID and showed it to him. "I have to find him."

"Doctor, I'm sorry but I can't let you inside… military personnel only."

"Then could you please just check… tell him I'm here… please." She pled softly.

"All right I'll take your message inside, but that's all I can do."

"Thank you."

"Who are you looking for?"

"Captain Nathan Bridger… he's the Rear Admiral's XO."

The M.P nodded and turned away heading inside. Moments after he had disappeared another M.P came out and took up a place guarding the front entrance.

Kristin paced back and forth on the sidewalk waiting for the guard to reappear. Several minutes later he did and she ran back up the stairs to him. Her hopes plunged when she saw the frown on his face.

"I'm sorry ma'am. I asked around but no one has seen Captain Bridger. I can't give you any news. I'm sorry."

"No one knows where he is? Whether he's alive or dead?"

"I'm afraid not… but no news is good news." The guard stated, trying to cheer her up.

"Thank you." She said softly and turned from him. Slowly she moved back to the car and slid behind the wheel.

She was operating on automatic as she drove heading towards her house. Several minutes later she parked in front and got out.

It wasn't until she was safely inside her bedroom that she allowed her tightly-reigned emotions loose. Throwing herself on the bed she curled up and cried.

Lord he was tired. More tired than he could ever remember being. He rubbed his eyes yet again.

"Why don't you go home and get some sleep. There's nothing more we can do here tonight."

Nathan looked up and acknowledged the Admiral's statement with a nod and a "Thank you, Sir."

"Don't mention it. Get some rest we're going to have our hands full tomorrow."

"Yes Sir."

Nathan got up from the desk and left the room that was their temporary headquarters. As he reached the foyer and approached the doors an M.P. was just entering. Nathan stepped to one side to allow the man to pass him. When the young man moved by he glanced down at the name badge on Nathan's chest. He stopped, turning to face him.

"Captain Bridger?"

"Yes."

"Sir, there was a lady looking for you."

"How long ago?"

"About 4 hours, sir. When I told her I couldn't find you and didn't have any news about you she got very upset."

Nathan frowned at this. "Thank you. I need a car. Could you see to it please?"

"Yes sir. If you give me a moment I'll take you myself."

"Thank you."

"That's it right there." Nathan told the M.P and pointed.

The young man nodded and pulled over to the curb in front of Kristin's house.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, Sir. Good night."

"Night."

Nathan moved up the walk to the front door and as he approached the door opened. Katie stepped out onto the porch.

"Oh thank God you're all right."

"Where's Kristin?" he asked anxiously

At Katie's frown, panic gripped him. "Is she…."

"She's fine." The young woman reassured him "At least physically. She's been in her room for hours. I couldn't even get her to eat anything. I could hear her crying through the door."

Nathan swallowed the lump in his throat. "Thanks Katie." He said softly as he moved past her and into the house. As he headed toward Kristin's room, he paused outside the bathroom. He really wanted to go to her right away but he was filthy. He didn't think he would ever be able to get his whites clean again and he smelled of smoke and fuel. Knowing he really should shower first before going to her, he disappeared inside.

Clad only in his robe, Nathan exited some thirty minutes later and continued his trek to Kristin's room. Reaching out he tested the doorknob and after finding it unlocked he slipped quietly into the room

It was dark inside, the pale moonlight filtering through the curtains his only illumination. Seeing the huddled form beneath the covers nearly broke his heart. Slipping off his robe, he tossed in on the chair to the side of the door and crossed quietly to the bed.

Pulling back the covers he slipped in beside her. As he slid across the bed and leaned over her, he could see that she was asleep, the tears still visible on her cheeks attesting to her distress.

"I'm sorry baby." He whispered as he gently kissed the salty drops from her cheek then spooned his body up behind her, pulling her back against him.

She didn't wake at the action and in her sleep instinctively snuggled back against him. Brushing a kiss to her temple, Nathan closed his eyes and he fell into an exhausted sleep.

Even before she came fully awake, Kristin became aware that there was something different and it took a moment for her sleep fogged brain to realize what it was. There was someone in bed with her and that someone was sleeping so close she could feel their breath on her cheek.

Although she knew that it could be no one else but Nathan, she didn't want to turn around to confirm it and have it not be true but the whispered voice in her ear caused all her fears to melt away.

"I promised I'd be back... and I always keep my promises."

She couldn't hold back her tears as she rolled to face him, "Oh my God, I was so afraid I'd lost you. When I heard the terrible news about the fleet… I couldn't find anyone who knew if you were alive or dead and I was terrified of finding out that you were dead that this damned war had claimed another person I loved…"

He smiled softly at her rambling and pressed gentle fingers to her lips to stop her.

"I know and I'm sorry I couldn't get word to you earlier. Things were a little crazy."

"That's an understatement." Kristin replied. "And I'm sorry for getting hysterical it's just…."

"I know baby. You don't have to apologize. You've lost far too much to this war already. It's only natural that you'd be afraid to lose more. And since we're on the subject…" Nathan paused and pulled her closer. "It's almost certain that with this attack President Roosevelt will declare war." He saw her face pale and tenderly brushed the back of his hand down her cheek. "I don't know in what capacity I will be called to serve in the war to come. They may keep me on a desk here but they may also give me a command in the fleet."

"And if they do?"

"Then it's my honor bound duty to accept. I know you don't want to hear that Kris, but it's something that I have to do."

"I know." She agreed softly. "And you wouldn't be the man I fell in love with if you didn't. That doesn't mean I'll stop being afraid for you - in fact I'll probably be more afraid but I'll support you."

"Thank you baby, I can't promise you that nothing will ever happen to me but I can promise that I will fight to my last breath to make it home to you."

"Then that will have to be enough." She whispered and kissed him tenderly. "I love you so very much… you are my heart and my soul." She told him tearfully.

"And you are my anchor, my lighthouse, my safe harbour --- and I love you with all that I am and all that I will ever be." He whispered then with his fingers tangled in the silk of her hair, drew her mouth to his and kissed her hungrily.

Desire flared to life and there was no more time for words.