- Text Size +

Monday, December 1, 1941

 

 

 

Kristin awoke slowly, uncurling and stretching as the sun's warmth shone through the open window. She opened her eyes and smiled as a sun-darkened hand settled warmly on her hip, before the arm curled around her waist and pulled her back against a solid bare chest.

 

"Morning." Nathan's voice rumbled in her ear.

 

"Mmm… morning." She replied and tilted her head back so she could look at him. They shared a brief passionate kiss.

 

"What time is it?" Nathan murmured as he nuzzled the curve of her neck and shoulder.

 

"Mmm, early... just after 6."

 

"Damn. I've got to be at the base in an hour." He sighed, burying his face in her hair. After a moment he asked. "Do you have to be at the hospital?"

 

"Not until this afternoon. I think I might head into Honolulu and do some shopping."

 

"Mmm and what does Honolulu have the Pearl City can't offer?" he asked curiously.

 

Kristin smiled as she rolled to face him. "I need a new dress for the dance Saturday night and they have the best dress shops. And since I'm going to be on the arm of the most handsome sailor there I need to stand out."

 

"Baby, you could show up wearing a burlap sack and you'd still stand out." He smiled as he dropped a kiss to her bare shoulder. "You're an extremely attractive woman and you look beautiful in everything you wear."

 

She gave him a dubious look. "Only in your eyes."

 

"Not just in my eyes. You really have no idea how many men watch you when you walk into a room?"

 

"Well yours are the only eyes that count." She replied evading his question as she leaned down and brushed his lips lightly with her own.

 

"Well I'd better get going if I'm going to catch the bus into the city."

 

"What's wrong with your car?"

 

"Katherine's is in the shop so I told her she could use mine until it's ready."

 

"Well, why don't you take mine?"

 

"Oh I couldn't do that."

 

"Kris, we're sleeping together, I think it's perfectly proper for you to use my car."

 

Kristin giggled. "It's not that. Are you not going to need it yourself?"

 

"Not really. You can drive me to the base and I'll pick it up at the hospital when I'm done. If I need to go anywhere before then, I can get a staff car."

 

"You're sure?"

 

"Absolutely."

 

"All right then." She replied then her smiled grew sensual. "Now get over here and say good morning properly."

 

"Yes Ma'am." He drawled and pulled her close for a passionate kiss.

 

They broke apart when there was a knock on the bedroom door. "Kristin?"

 

"Yes Katherine?"

 

"Coffee's on and I was wondering if you and Nathan would care for some breakfast?"

 

"Give us a few minutes." Kristin called back then turned to her lover. "Well, m'love I guess we should join her."

 

"Damn, just when I was about to get lucky." He joked playfully. Kristin laughed and drew a long manicured nail across his lips.

 

"Well be a good boy today and you will tonight."

 

"Promise?"

 

"Mmm, definitely." She finished and pressed a lingering kiss to his lips.

 

"Keep that up babe and we'll be here all day."

 

With a playful chuckle she gave him one last kiss before throwing back the covers and sliding from bed.

 

 

 

Kristin pulled the car up to the entrance to the base rolling down the window as the guard stationed at the gate approached.

 

"Ma'am" he nodded and then saw Nathan in the passenger seat. "Good Morning, Sir."

 

"Ensign," Nathan nodded. "Dr. Westphalen will be accompanying me inside. Will you see she's passed through without incident from now on? I'll see to getting her the proper clearances."

 

"Aye, sir."

 

"Thank you." Nathan replied.

 

The Ensign, nodded to the guard on the other side of the gate and Kristin waited as it was opened before driving through. She pulled up to the front entrance where Nathan's office was and stopped turning towards him and flashed him a smile.

 

"Dinner tonight?" he questioned.

 

"Absolutely. But it will have to be a late one. I'm working until 9."

 

"I'll see you then." He told her then leaned across the seat to brush a kiss to her lips. "Love you." He added as he pulled back.

 

"I love you too." She smiled then watched as he opened the door and got out of the car. He leaned back in to grab his briefcase from the seat then gave her a wink as he closed the door again.

 

She watched with a smile as he walked across the street and up the stairs to the door. He paused then, turning back to give her a wave. She reciprocated and continued to watch until he'd disappeared inside. With a smile she turned the car around and headed off the base, waving to the young Ensign at the gate as she drove through.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 6, 1941

 

 

 

Kristin smiled as she took one last look in the mirror, pleased with the dress she'd chosen for tonight. It was simple, yes, but elegant and suited her perfectly. She hoped that Nathan would feel the same. After slipping her feet into a pair of high-heeled sandals she grabbed her shawl and handbag and left her room.

 

Katie was sitting on the sofa, looking out of the window.

 

"Ben late?" Kristin asked with a slightly amused smile.

 

"Yes," Katie sighed and turned to face her. "Wow." She stated with an admiring smile. "That dress is fabulous."

 

"Thank you. I just hope Nathan likes it."

 

"Oh there's no doubt about that. Ah speak of the devil…" she added as she saw the man in question come up the walk. Seconds later there was a knock on the door.

 

Kristin smiled as she went to open it and let him in.

 

"Wow, you look …stunning." He breathed.

 

"Thank you." She replied with a delighted laugh. "And I could say the same to you." She added, eyeing his dress whites. "I think they should insist you wear those all the time."

 

"My cleaning bill would be astronomical." He teased and Kristin laughed. "Before I forget…" he said and held out a small square florist's box.

 

She took it with a smile and opened the lid, revealing a beautiful wrist corsage.

 

"Oh it's lovely." She breathed as she slipped it on then leaned forward to brush a kiss across his cheek. "Thank you."

 

"You're most welcome." He smiled. "Ready?"

 

"Yes." She answered and he took the shawl from her hands, draping it across her bare shoulders before extending his arm. She slipped her arm through his.

 

"See you at the dance." She called to Katie as they left the bungalow.

 

 

 

 

The soft strains of Glen Miller's "Moonlight Serenade" filled the ballroom and Nathan and Kristin swayed in each other's arms, almost oblivious to those around them. As the song trailed off, Nathan pulled back to look down into her eyes.

 

"Want to get out of here?"

 

"Yes."

 

Minutes later they stepped outside into the warm night air. "Where would you like to go?"

 

"Mmm I'd like to go for a drive… and then I'd like to go down to the beach and make love with you under the stars."

 

"Your wish is my command m'love." He replied and brought her hand up to his lips, brushing a kiss across the back.

 

 

Nathan pulled the car off to the side of the road and parked. Kristin removed her sandals, leaving them on the floor on the passenger side before getting out and moving down to the beach. Nathan smiled as he watched her, then got out and took two blankets from the back seat before following her.

 

His eyes followed her as she moved down to the ocean and wet her feet.

 

As he spread one blanket on the sand, Nathan kept his gaze trained on her. Bathed in moonlight she looked like some ethereal creature, one that would disappear at the first kiss of sunlight, but then she turned and he knew she was smiling as she made her way back to him.

 

She sat down on the blanket laying back, her eyes following his every move as he sat beside her and pulled off his shoes and socks. Nathan turned to her. "Before we continue, I have something for you."

 

Kristin sat up, curiosity lighting her face as he reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled something out. Her hand flew to her mouth when she recognized a small velvet jeweler's box. He opened the lid to reveal the diamond ring nestled inside. "Kristin." he began softly "I never thought I'd be doing this again. I never thought I'd ever find someone with whom I wanted to share my life. After I lost my wife and son... well I just never thought I would ever fall in love again… but you proved me wrong. I do love you, more than I ever thought I could. Would you do me the honor of consenting to be my wife? Will you share your life with me?" he finished softly.

 

He saw the tears in her eyes as she nodded. "Yes," she breathed softly. "Oh yes."

 

Nathan smiled and took the ring out of the box, slipping it on her finger. "Perfect." He said softly when he saw that the ring did indeed fit perfectly on her finger.

 

"I love you so much. Now how about we celebrate?"

 

Nathan chuckled then took her into his arms, laying them both back down on the blanket. Smiling down into her eyes he said. "You know how decadent this is… making love in the open where anyone could see."

 

"It's two o'clock in the morning and there isn't anyone around." She laughed, threading her fingers through his hair.

 

"Maybe, but I brought this, just in case." He replied and reached for the second blanket. He covered them and then turned back to her, pulling her into a tight embrace.

 

"Now you mentioned something about making love under the stars."

 

"Mmm, I did indeed." she purred softly and pulled him closer. "Take me to the stars m'love."

 

 

Sunday December 7, 1941

 

"What time do you think it is?"

 

"I don't know. A little after seven, I'd guess judging by the sun's position." Nathan replied, brushing his lips across her temple. "We should probably get dressed."

 

"Probably," She sighed.

 

"How about I take you out for breakfast?"

 

"Mmm how about we get dressed, go back to the house, I make you breakfast and then we can spend the rest of the day in bed." She suggested.

 

"You have a deal, Doctor." He chuckled and they shared a tender kiss before moving away from each other.

 

They dressed quickly and as Nathan pulled his watch from his trousers pocket and put it on he quickly glanced at the time. "It's almost 8." He stated and then gathered up the blankets, shaking the sand from them. He took Kristin's arm and walked with her back to the car.

 

He tossed the blankets on the floor of the back seat and as he closed the door Kristin slipped her arm around his waist.

 

"So what would you like for breakfast?" she asked. He was about to answer when he frowned.

 

"What is it?"

 

"That sounds like planes. It's too early for flybys." He muttered and then he heard the unmistakable sound of explosions.

 

"Oh dear God," He muttered and gently pushed Kristin out of the way before opening the driver's door and turning on the radio.

 

The announcer's voice held a hint of panic and disbelief. "The Japanese have just bombed Pearl Harbor. I repeat the Japanese are bombing Pearl Harbor….."

 

"I have to get in." he said as he slid behind the wheel.