- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer and info from chapter 1 still apply.. enjoy :)

Amanda sat quietly, fearfully between two of the robbers in the front seat as they made their escape. Several minutes later they abandoned their car, switching it for another one and were driving away to an area of the city that Amanda recognized as housing mostly warehouses.

Minutes later they pulled up in front of a warehouse and she was unceremoniously dragged from the vehicle and pulled inside.

They were greeted by a young dark haired woman. "What's going on? Who's she?"

“A Fed, she’s our insurance policy.” The leader quipped brusquely as he shoved Amanda towards her.

"But she's pregnant!" the young woman protested.

"Very observant of you m'dear and because of that the cops and the Feds will think twice before busting in here, now won't they?"

"Kidnapping a Federal agent, that’s insane!  I didn't agree to anything like this! “

Before the woman could react the man reached out to cruelly grasp her chin in a bruising tight grip. "You agree to whatever I tell you, don't you Valerie?"

"Yes....yes.." she nodded, wincing with the pain his grip caused her.

"Good, now take Mrs. Stetson to the room at the back and make sure she stays there. "

"Okay." Valerie nodded and then turned to Amanda. She took her gently by the arm and Amanda went unresistingly with her.

~*~~*~

Valerie opened the door and turned on the light. "It's not the Ritz, but you should be comfortable," she said indicating the room that contained a blanket covered cot, a battered arm chair and a small desk with a chair. "There's a bathroom through that door there." Valerie further explained and pointed to the closed door next to the cot.

"Can I get you something to eat?"

"Yes, please... Valerie..." Amanda began and took a step towards the woman.

She held up her hand. "Please don't even ask. I won't double cross him. He'd kill me quicker than you could blink!"

"I'm not asking you to get me out of here or to tell anyone where I am, I just..." Amanda's voice trailed off for a moment and then continued and Valerie could hear the emotion there.

"I just need you to call my husband and let him know that I'm alright. Please? Lee Stetson at International Federal Films."

"I'll think about it and I won't promise that I will do it." Valerie finished as she backed out the door and locked it behind her.

Amanda sighed and crossed over to the cot. She eased herself down on the edge and slipped off her shoes. She lay back, settling her head on the pillow and curled up onto her side.

"Oh Lee," she whispered. "Please find me." A single tear rolled down her cheek to be followed soon after by several more.

~*~~*~

Francine hung up the phone with a heavy sigh.

"What have you got?" Billy asked her anxiously.

"My source inside the police department didn't have much more to add than we already know."

"Any sign of Scarecrow yet?

"No, I'm worried about him Billy. If anything happens to Amanda or the twins...." her voice trailed off.

"I know, that's why I want our people on this too.  Everyone we can spare."

"You got it." Francine replied and reached to pick up the phone again.

Several seconds later the door swung open and Lee strode in. From his mannerisms and stance Billy knew that he had no success and was extremely upset.

"Scarecrow?"

"I lost them Billy." Lee stated quietly his anger carefully controlled.

"I'm sorry." the older man responded. "You just have to believe that Amanda will be alright."

"I know Billy because if I let myself think anything else I'll go crazy." Lee replied. "What did the rest of the hostages have to say?"

"Not much. The thieves wore masks and didn't use any names. Some of them said that they could probably recognize the leader's voice if they heard it again. The one hostage that was hit on the head was treated for a mild concussion and the hospital says he's gonna be okay in a couple of days."

"Good." Lee replied, as though he hadn't really been paying attention to what Billy had been saying.

Both Billy and Francine cast the other man a worried look. Lee was staring down at his hands and he was absently twisting his wedding band around his finger.

"She'll be okay, Scarecrow," Billy said again.  "Amanda's smart and she's careful and she'll be alright."

"She'd better be okay, both her and the twins, because if they're not those men will know the true meaning of hell."

Upon seeing the feral look in the younger man's eyes Billy realized for the first time that Lee would kill to protect his family.

Lee released a huge sigh and ran his fingers through his hair.  "Listen I've got to let Dotty know what's going on."

Several months back Billy had authorized Lee and Amanda to tell her mother the true nature of their work and the woman had done an admirable job of keeping all their secrets.

"Right." Billy nodded.  "We've got everyone we can spare on this Scarecrow, we'll get her back."

Lee merely nodded and headed back to the elevator and the Q Bureau.

I'm really worried about him, Billy," Francine said quietly.

"I am too. So then let’s lessen that worry and find Amanda. ASAP."

"Right.”

The elevator door opened and Lee stepped out into the Georgetown Foyer.

"Any word about Mrs. Stetson?" Mrs. Marston asked with deep concern.

"Nothing yet."

"If I know anything about Amanda Stetson, she's resourceful. If there's any way, she'll get a message to us."

Lee agreed with a nod.  "If anyone or anything shows...."

"I'll let you know right away."

"Good." Lee replied and continued up the stairs to the office he shared with his wife.  He unlocked the door and stepped into the empty room, feeling that emptiness into the depths of his soul.

Crossing to his desk under the windows, he sat down and picked up the phone quickly dialing their home number.  His mother-in-law picked up after the second ring.

"Dotty, it's Lee... something's happened..."

                                         ~*~~*~

Amanda roused from her nap when she heard the sound of a key in the lock. The door opened and Valerie stepped through carrying a tray of food and something else tucked under her arm. She set the tray down on the table and then turned to Amanda and held out the other items which Amanda now recognized as being clothes.

"I thought that these would be more comfortable than your skirt and blouse."

"Thank you," Amanda said and took the clothes from Valerie. There was a pair of large sweats, an oversized T-shirt and a pair of warm socks.

"You're welcome." Valerie nodded. "I hope you enjoy the food. I'm afraid it's not much."

"It looks fine, thank you." Amanda replied as she spied the tall glass of milk, a bowl of vegetable soup and a sandwich.

Valerie nodded and quietly stepped from the room. Locking the door she moved away and tossed a disapproving glare at the men sitting around the table counting and dividing their ill gotten gains.

Valerie crossed over to the sofa and sat down wearily. Picking up the remote she turned on the TV and flipped until she found a station showing the news.

"Hello I'm Alison Kramer with this breaking news bulletin. There was a bank robbery earlier today at the Bank of Georgetown, the four men got away with an undisclosed amount of cash and sources close to the investigation tell us that the men took one hostage, a Mrs. Amanda Stetson, of International Federal Films, a Georgetown documentary film company.”

A picture flashed on the screen---- a wedding picture and Valerie instantly recognized the woman sharing an adoring look at the tall man who held her close.

"Local police are asking the public's help in apprehending the thieves and returning Mrs. Stetson to her family. The suspects were last seen in a late model dark blue sedan with partial plates reading RGB-1. Anyone with information is asked to call the following numbers."

As the new bulletin ended Valerie frowned once again. She got up and walked to the small kitchenette. Crossing to the fridge she opened it and looked inside. Closing the door she crossed over to the table. She hesitated a moment, knowing he hated to be interrupted.

"What is it Valerie?" he snapped, not looking up from the money he was sorting and counting.

"We're out of beer and sodas and don't have anything for supper. I'd like to go to the grocery store."

"Okay..." the man stated and handed her some money and the car keys.  "But you come right back and don't do anything stupid."

"I won't," Valerie responded and headed outside. She breathed a sigh when the door closed behind her and crossed to the car.

~*~~*~

Valerie stepped out of the grocery store with a cart full of grocery bags. She crossed to the car and put the bags in the back seat. As she returned to the front to slide into the driver's seat she stopped and looked over at the payphone in the corner. She stood a moment in indecision before crossing over to the phone. She looked up the number in the phone book then slipped a coin into the slot and dialed. She held her breath as the call connected.

"International Federal Films, How may I direct your call?" Mrs. Marston's voice came over the line.

"Lee Stetson, please," Valerie said in a hesitant voice.

"One moment, please." she replied as she transferred the call.

"Stetson," Lee said as he picked up the phone.

"Mr. Stetson I'm not going to give you my name and I won't stay on long enough for you to trace me." Valerie began.

Lee looked up and over at Billy. The older man had his back to him and so Lee wadded up a piece of paper and threw it at him scoring a direct hit in the middle of the older man’s back. When Billy turned around Lee snapped his fingers, pointed to the phone, then held up his fingers to say the caller was on line 2. When Melrose picked up the receiver Lee continued. "I'm sorry...what can I do for you?"

"I’m just calling to let you know that I've seen your wife and she's being well taken care of."

"Amanda? Where is she? When did you see her?"

"I can't tell you any more without risking my own life. She asked me to call you and tell you that she was alright and I've done that. I have to go now." Valerie finished and immediately hung up the phone.

"Wait!" Lee called but was greeted only by an empty line. “Shit!” he cursed and slammed down the receiver.

"Well at least you know she's alright." Billy reassured as he hung up his phone.

"Yah, but for how long?" Lee mused worriedly.

Just then Billy's phone rang. "Melrose....um hmm.......you're sure... Okay thanks."

"What is it?"

"A black and white spotted the getaway car abandoned a couple of blocks from the bank. It's being towed into the garage. And $100 dollars of the stolen money was just used to buy food at a grocery store."

"Did they give a description of the buyer?"

"The manager said it was a young woman about 22 with dark hair."

"How much do you want to bet she's our caller?" Lee stated.

"It's a good bet she is. Probably wanted to get away to a place where she wouldn't be overheard."

"Right. Let's go check out that grocery store."

Billy nodded and followed Lee out of the bullpen. They stepped out of the elevator and Lee paused in front of Mrs. Marston.

 "If any more calls come for me, don't take a message have them transferred to the phone in my car."

"Right." The woman nodded and watched them step from the office.

~*~~*~

It was late and Amanda found that she couldn't sleep. She released a huge sigh and flung back the light blanket covering her.  She sat up, swinging her legs off the edge of the bed and stood. Pressing her hands to the small of her back she massaged the ache that had settled there and once it had subsided a little, Amanda picked up the pillow and blanket and crossed over to the arm chair. It didn't look very inviting but was the only option available since she could not sleep on the cot.

Amanda sank into the chair's cushions and gave a pleased sigh. It was much more comfortable than it looked and hugged her weary body in its soft warmth. Amanda wrapped the blanket around her and tucked a pillow behind her head then closed her eyes. Her husband's face swam before her. "Good night, Lee," she murmured softly and easily drifted off to sleep.

~*~~*~

Francine met Billy outside the door to the Q-Bureau. "Thanks for coming Billy. I know it's late."

"It's okay.  Has there been any more word since I went home?"

"No, nothing, I called you here because I've been trying to get Lee to go home and sleep but he's not listening to me.  Maybe you'll have more luck."

"Leave it to me." Billy responded and when Francine nodded he moved past her and pushed open the door, stepping into the office.

"Damn it, Scarecrow" Billy boomed as he crossed the room to stand in front of Lee's desk. "You're not going to do Amanda any good if you wear yourself out! Now I order you to get the hell home and get some sleep.  Don't make me come over there and kick your ass."

Lee couldn't suppress the smile that crossed his lips. "All right, Billy." Lee relented. "I'm going." He added as he rose from his desk and walked towards the older man.

"Amanda'll be all right, son." Billy stated softly. Lee merely nodded.

“The ID guys are working to try and identify the girl from the store’s security tape. But you know these things take time.”

“Time Amanda may not have Billy. And since the girl’s prints are not in the system you know it’s going to be next to impossible to find out who she is.”

“I know, but try not to lose hope,” Billy said quietly and laid a comforting hand on the younger man’s arm.  “Amanda got a message to us once that means there’s a chance she can again.”

“Unless she’s….”

“Don’t even go there.” Billy cut him off.  “Now I left word with the night duty officer to call you at home if anything at all comes in. So, get yourself home and try and sleep.”

"I'll try." Was all Lee promised as he moved past Billy and headed out of the door.

~*~~*~

Lee stepped into the darkened, quiet house and closed the door behind him. Dotty and the boys, he knew would be asleep and so he didn't turn on any lights as he navigated to the stairs.

"Lee?" Dotty's voice came from the landing above.  He looked up to see her standing at the top of the stairs, tying the sash of her robe.

"Yeah, it's me," he said as he climbed the stairs to meet her.

"Any news?" his mother-in-law asked hopefully.

"Nothing since the call I told you about," he said, frustration in his voice. "Billy kicked me out." he added with a light chuckle.

"And so he should, it's almost two in the morning. You won't do Amanda or the babies any good if you run yourself ragged," she said as she reached out to brush his arm.  "Try and sleep. Things always look better in the fresh light of a new morning."

Lee gave her a soft, tender smile.  "Now I know where Amanda gets her optimism from."

Dotty chuckled.  "We're all worried about her, but you trained her well and she's smart and she's resourceful.  She'll be all right."

"Thanks, Dotty." Lee smiled and leaned forward to kiss her cheek.

"Anytime." the older woman returned his smile then brushed a hand to his cheek.   "My daughter is a very lucky woman to have found someone like you to love her."

"No, I'm the lucky one.... it was more than luck that brought her to me that day at the train station, it was fate." he added and then looked up at her and Dotty could see the fear in his eyes.  "Fate wouldn't be so cruel as to take them from me now, my wife, my children... would it?"

Dotty took both his hands in hers.  "No, NO!" she stated adamantly.  "They'll be fine. We have to keep believing that."

Lee nodded, trying to believe with all his heart that his family would be fine.

Dotty leaned forward to kiss him again.  "I love you very much, Son."

"I love you too, Mother." He kissed her cheek one last time before turning away and heading into the master bedroom.

Lee closed the door behind him and turned on the light. He looked around the neat room and shuddered.  How could he ever come back here to this room, the room where they'd laughed, fought, loved and created life, if anything happened to her?  His Amanda, his wife, his lover, his life.  Five years ago, he thought his life was perfect and complete…he had a job that was exciting and challenging and he never lacked female companionship… in fact he knew his romantic exploits were fodder for many a gossip standing around the water cooler.  Then it all changed --- A mission gone wrong and a chance meeting at the train station.  Amanda King had been a part of his life ever since. They'd been thrown together, and for the most part he'd worked with her grudgingly, yet little by little she'd worked her way into his heart and now he couldn't imagine his life without her.  Now they were married and having twins.  The thought scared him to death.

Lee Stetson, Federal Agent, could face down terrorists and enemy agents without blinking, but the thought of being a father, of being responsible for two innocent tiny lives, terrified the living hell out of him.

Slipping from the bedroom Lee moved down the hall to a room opposite the rooms occupied by Dotty, and Phillip and Jamie.  He turned on the light and looked into the brightly decorated nursery.

The room was painted in soft pastels and Lee smiled softly as he recalled the time that he and Amanda had painted the room. They had ended up having a paint war and had got more paint on themselves than on the walls.

Two cribs sat end to end against the long wall and the curtains on the two windows sported Baby Mickey and his friends. Two small dressers and a changing table sat against the wall opposite the door and in the far corner of the room, near the cribs, a tall goose-necked lamp sat next to an antique rocking chair.

With a worried frown and a heavy sigh, Lee turned out the light and stepped from the room. He closed the door and headed back to the bedroom.  He closed the door again, crossing to the bathroom, stripping off his clothes as he went.

~*~~*~

 Lee had hoped that a hot shower would help ease the tension from his muscles and perhaps lighten the heaviness of his heart but if it did the former, it certainly did nothing for the latter.  After drying off, Lee strode naked back into the bedroom and pulled back the covers on the bed.  He released a sigh as he slipped between the cool sheets and rolled over. He stared at Amanda’s side of the bed and knew that sleep would be a long time coming.

Lee awoke screaming Amanda's name, his body drenched in sweat. Another nightmare. He pushed himself up, and after tossing back the covers strode to the bathroom. Turning on the tap he bathed his face with cool water, then instinctively knowing he would be getting no more sleep got ready for the day.

After shaving and brushing his teeth, Lee entered the bedroom and took out a fresh change of clothes.

It was still early when he made his way downstairs and so he was surprised when Dotty appeared at the foot of the stairs with a travel mug of coffee in her hands.

"One for the road." She smiled as she held it out.

"Thanks." He took it and gave her cheek a quick kiss.  "I'll call as soon as I have any news."

"Okay, be safe, please."

"I will."

~*~~*~

The sound of rustling from the alley outside woke Amanda. She yawned and looked at the watch on her wrist. It was 9am, and she was surprised that she had slept so late. She had always been an early riser.

The noises outside the window continued and Amanda grew curious as well as hopeful. Perhaps there was someone out there who could help her. She rose from the chair and crossed first to the door. She pressed her ear against the wood and listened for any sound of movement outside. She sighed when all she heard was silence. On instinct, Amanda picked up the pen and an empty envelope that she had found in the desk drawer.

With effort, Amanda stood on the bed and looked through the open, but barred window. She smiled when she saw a young girl outside.

"Hello," Amanda called and the girl turned towards her. She gave Amanda a curious frown before crossing over and kneeling at the window. "My name is Amanda, what's yours?"

"Sarah."

"How old are you, Sarah?"

"Ten."

"Well, Sarah, I really need your help."

"I'll try." Sarah answered honestly.

"Some very bad men have me locked up in here and my family is very worried about me. Do you think that you could take a message to them?"

"I don't know, I guess so."

"It's very important."

"Okay." Sarah nodded.

"Good." Amanda smiled. She took the envelope and wrote an address on it. Then held the envelope out for Sarah to see. "Do you know where this street is?"

Sarah read the address and nodded. "Yup."

"Okay, there's a place called International Federal Films. I need you to go inside and talk to the lady at the front desk, Mrs. Marston... she looks kind of scary but she's really nice.  Now, I want you to tell her that you have a message from Amanda and you need to speak with Lee. When Lee gets there I need you to tell him where you found me. Can you do that?"

"Yeah." Sarah nodded.

"Good, and just so they know that you really spoke to me...." Amanda paused and reached for the chain around her neck. She unclasped it and pulled it from the confines of her shirt. As her pregnancy had advanced, Amanda found that her fingers had swollen to the point where she could no longer wear her rings comfortably and so she had slipped them on the chain with her heart shaped diamond pendant. Amanda took the chain and placed it in the envelope and sealed it "Give this to Lee."

"Okay." Sarah nodded and took the envelope. Just then Amanda heard a noise behind her.

"You'd better go," she told Sarah and the girl nodded. Amanda watched as she got up and ran down the alley before carefully getting down off the cot. She had just enough time to move back to the chair and sit down when the door opened and Valerie stepped inside with her breakfast.

~*~~*~