- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
As usual disclaimer info from chapter one still applies :)

Mrs. Marston looked up when the door opened, her hand surreptitiously slid into the drawer where her service weapon lay.  A young girl stepped inside and looked around shyly.

"Can I help you dear?"

 

"I..." Sarah began. "I'm looking for Ms. Marston."

 

"I'm Mrs. Marston. What can I do for you?"

 

Sarah approached the desk and said, "I've got a message from Amanda."

 

"Mrs. Stetson, really?" she said with a relieved smile. "What's the message?"

 

"She told me I was supposed to tell Lee." Sarah stated.

 

"Alright, I'll get him. Just hold on a moment." She picked up the phone. "Mr. Stetson, Marston at the Georgetown Foyer. I have someone here that has a message from Amanda... Right… okay." She hung up the phone.  "He'll be right here, dear. Why don't you take a seat?"

 

The young girl nodded nervously and moved to the comfy chairs that lined the wall.

 

 

~*~~*~

 

 

 

Amanda got up from the chair and winced at the continuous ache in her back as she moved slowly to the bathroom to get a drink of water. She picked up the glass from the desk as she passed and filled it in the bathroom sink. She took a grateful sip before turning and moving back to the other room. Amanda was just drinking the last drop when she was seized with a sudden sharp, stabbing pain across her abdomen. She gasped and the glass fell from her hand and shattered on the concrete floor. Amanda clutched her abdomen and gave a small cry when the sudden rush of warm wetness between her thighs told her that she was in labor.

 

"No!" she sobbed. "NO...it's too early!"

 

Upon hearing the sound of shattering glass, Valerie stopped what she was doing and immediately unlocked the door. "Amanda?" Valerie called as she stepped inside. "What is it? What's wrong?" She asked concernedly when she saw the woman standing with an arm wrapped around her middle.

 

"I'm in labor. Valerie you have to call the paramedics, please!" Amanda pleaded. "I'm not due for another two weeks."

 

Valerie paled then moved to Amanda's side and helped her to the cot.

 

 

 

~*~~*~

 

 

Lee pushed open the door at the top of the stairs and hurried down them.  "Mrs. Marston?"

 

"Mr. Stetson. Sarah here has seen Amanda and has a message for you." She pointed to the young girl sitting in the chair and eyeing him warily.

 

Lee crossed over to her and knelt beside the chair. "Hi, Sarah." Lee smiled. "I'm Lee, Amanda is my wife.  Mrs. Marston tells me you've seen Amanda and have a message from her?"

 

"Yessir." Sarah nodded and then she took out the envelope and passed it to Lee. "She told me to give this to you, so that you would know it was really from her."

 

Lee took the envelope and looked at it. He recognized Amanda's handwriting on the front. Feeling something inside, Lee tore open the end and tipped it. The chain slid out onto his palm. Lee instantly recognized the necklace and Amanda’s wedding set.

 

His hand clenched around the rings.

 

Lee was barely aware when Billy came down the stairs from the Q-Bureau and stood slightly behind him.

 

"What did Amanda tell you?" Lee questioned Sarah softly.

 

"That she was being held by some bad men and her family was very worried."

 

"We have been. Do you know where she is, Sarah?"

 

"Yessir, she's in a room at the back of an old warehouse. I think it musta been in the basement cuz the window I talked to her through was very low."

 

"This is very important, Sarah. Do you think that you could find this warehouse again and take us there?"

 

Sarah thought for a moment and then nodded. "Yessir."

 

"Good." Lee smiled. "Why don't you come with my friend Billy and me and show us exactly where Amanda is."

 

Sarah nodded and hopped down off the chair, following them out the door.

~*~~*~

 

 

Valerie rushed out of the back room and over to the group of men. "We need to get an ambulance. Amanda is in labor!"

 

The leader smiled. "And why would I want to do that?”

 

“Because she could die!” Valerie stated in shocked whisper.  “Because her baby could die?”

 

“You think I care about some spook bitch and her brat?”

“No, you don’t care about anything except that…” Valerie spat, nodding to the table still stacked with cash. “I can’t believe I thought I loved you,” she whispered tightly, turning back to return to the room where Amanda was.  Somehow she would find a way to sneak out and get help.  She just needed time to think.

 

 

~*~~*~

 

 

 

Lee stopped the agency car on the street outside the warehouse, he watched it closely while Billy called for backup and an ambulance, just in case. The waiting seemed interminable, but it was only minutes later when their backup arrived, followed soon after by the silent ambulance.

 

"Stay here." Lee told Sarah as he and Billy got out of the car and moved to coordinate with their backup.

 

 

 

~*~~*~

 

 

Valerie sat at Amanda's side, wiping her perspiring brow with a cool cloth. "Just hold on Amanda," she told her quietly. "Just as soon as I can sneak away I'll go and call the paramedics."

 

Suddenly there was a loud crash from the other room and then, "Federal Agents! FREEZE!!!" This was followed by the sound of shouts and gunfire.

 

"Help's here, Amanda." Valerie told her as she gently mopped her brow. "Just hang on."

 

 

The gunfire and sounds of fighting continued. ‘Hurry, Lee,’ was the mantra that ran through Amanda's mind as she tried to control her breathing as her contractions worsened.

 

It seemed like an eternity later when Amanda heard her husband’s frantic call.

 

 "AMANDA! 'manda, where are you?!"

 

"Lee!" she called out.

 

 

Valerie rose from her side and moved to the door. She opened it and stepped outside.

 

"Mr. Stetson, she's in here," Valerie called and watched as the tall man ran towards her. Valerie stepped aside and Lee moved past her, barely acknowledging her presence. He stopped in the doorway and his gut clenched in fear. "Amanda," he called as he rushed and knelt by her side. His hand settled on her sweat-damp forehead and she looked up at him with fear-filled brown eyes. "Lee," she gasped. "It's too early."

 

Amanda's fear was mirrored in his own eyes as he leaned down to press his lips to her forehead and he murmured softly, "It will be okay, Amanda. Everything will be okay."

 

Lee lifted his head and looked up at Valerie. "Get the paramedics in here." He told her and she nodded, disappearing from the room.

 

Lee moved onto the bed then slid behind her and pulled her back against his chest.

 

"Are you all right, Amanda?" he asked softly, lips brushing her hair.

 

"Besides being in labor, I'm fine. I knew that you would find me." She took his hand and brought it to her lips, brushing a kiss across the back.

 

"Of course, I'll always find you."

 

Amanda smiled and then gasped and tightened her grip on Lee's hand as a contraction washed over her.

 

"Easy, Amanda," Lee soothed. "Breathe through it." He coached softly.

 

 

~*~~*~

 

 

Just as the contraction finished the two paramedics rushed inside. One hurried immediately to Amanda and quickly assessed her condition, while his partner set up the radio and passed over the headset. "Hi, my name is Jake, and my partner is Vanessa. How are you doing?"

 

"Okay, considering the circumstances." Amanda replied.

 

Jake smiled. “Can I get your name and age please?”

 

“Amanda Stetson, Thirty-six.”

 

“Okay, is this your first pregnancy?”

 

"No, I have two teenage sons," Amanda told him speaking between breaths. "This time, I'm carrying twins."

 

Jake nodded. "Do you have any drug allergies?"

 

"No, none."

 

"Unit 6-0, to dispatch." Jake spoke into his headset.

 

"Go ahead 6-0."

 

"We have a female patient, 36 years of age, Gravida III and be advised patient is pregnant with twins. She is fully effaced, membranes have ruptured and there are signs of crowning. No known allergies."

 

"Roger 6-0; keep us advised of condition."

 

"Ten- four."

 

~*~~*~

 

 

 

"Okay, the shoulders are almost clear, Amanda," Jake said encouragingly. "I need you to give me another big push, okay."

 

Amanda nodded, gripped Lee's hands tighter and bore down. She gritted her teeth against the pain then released a gasping sigh, as she felt the infant slip from her body.

 

"I've got her." Jake smiled and seconds later the infant's strong, healthy cry filled the tiny room.

 

"A girl." Amanda said with a tearful laugh, then tilted her head back and met Lee's tear-filled eyes. Although he did not speak out loud, his eyes spoke volumes as he leaned down and pressed a kiss to her lips.

 

"Can I hold her?" Amanda asked Jake.

 

"In just a moment, Mrs. Stetson. My partner has to check her out first to be sure she’s okay.” he said and passed the towel wrapped baby to his partner.

 

 

 

 

Amanda watched Vanessa, trying to see what she was doing with her little girl. "Is she all right?" Vanessa looked over her shoulder at her and gave Amanda a reassuring smile.

 

"She's just fine, Mrs. Stetson."

 

Amanda nodded and then gasped as the contractions resumed. "Oh, I can't do this again," she moaned.

 

"Yes, you can," Lee said encouragingly.

 

"Easy for you to say, Buster." Amanda complained. "You're not the one having the baby. Next time it's your turn, okay."

 

"Deal." Lee chuckled and pressed a kiss to her temple.

 

 

Minutes later the second baby was born and Amanda collapsed back against Lee.

 

"This one's a boy." Jake said as a lusty cry sounded in the room.

 

While the second baby was being checked over, Jake lay her daughter into Amanda’s arms.

 

"Hello, sweetheart, I’m your mama." Amanda crooned and pressed a kiss to the silky cap of dark hair. She turned her head to look at Lee and her teary brown eyes met his. His own eyes were tear-filled as he leaned down and pressed a tender kiss to her lips. "I love you," he murmured, so softly that Amanda almost didn't hear him. She smiled and pressed a hand to his cheek.

 

"I love you too," she whispered and saw the smile that lit his face before he turned his eyes to the infant she held in her arms. Lee reached out a tentative hand and gently brushed it across the top of her head.

 

"Hey there, little girl. I’m your daddy," he said softly.

 

"Sir?" Vanessa called quietly and Lee looked up. "Would you like to hold your son?"

 

Lee got to his feet as Vanessa drew close. Seeing that he was unsure she added. "It's all right, you won't hurt him. He's not as fragile as he looks."

 

Lee awkwardly took the baby and held him close, looking down into the scrunched up little face. "Hello my son," he said softly.

 

Amanda watched with a soft, tender smile, seeing the wonder and awe that chased across her husband's face as he took their son's tiny hand in his.

 

 

~*~~*~

 

 

 

 

Jake and Vanessa transferred Amanda to a gurney, raising the head so that she was in a half sitting position. The wheeled her out and Lee followed behind them.  

 

As they got outside, Amanda could see a handcuffed Valerie being helped into the back of one of the agency cars. 

“Lee?”

“Yeah, sweetheart?” he answered as he stepped forward.

“What’s going to happen to Valerie?”

“Things don’t look good, honey.  She’ll be charged at least as an accessory to your kidnapping and because you’re an agent that’s a Federal crime.  The penalties will be severe.”

 

“She didn’t even know about it until they got me here and she tried to help me Lee. Valerie didn’t have to and I’m sure she did so at the risk of her own life.  If any of the others had found out she’d called you…”


“What do you want me to do?”

“I don’t know, make sure she has a good lawyer… speak to the D.A. on her behalf, anything. She deserves leniency Lee, please?”

“I’ll do what I can for her. I promise.”

“Thank you.”

 

 

 

Billy was waiting near the ambulance and he grinned broadly when he saw them.

 

Amanda asked the paramedics to stop for a moment and Billy approached. "Congratulations, Amanda." He grinned and leaned over to place a kiss on her cheek.

 

"Thank you, Sir."

 

"How are we doing?"

 

"We're just fine."

 

"Well, don't keep me in suspense any longer," Billy said with a teasing glint in his onyx eyes. "You have to tell me. Am I a grandma or a grandpa?" 

Amanda chuckled. "Both. A boy and a girl, Sir."

 

"Well when you two do something you don’t do it halfway do you?" Melrose grinned then leaned down to give her another kiss before stepping away and moving to Lee.

 

"Nice job, Scarecrow." He slapped Lee on the back.

 

"Thanks," Lee mumbled, blushing slightly with his superior's enthusiasm. Lee fished his keys out of his pocket. "Can you take the car and see that Sarah gets home okay."

 

"Sure thing. I'll meet you at the hospital. And I'll call Dotty and the boys for you."

 

"Thanks, Billy."

 

Lee nodded and followed the paramedics to the ambulance. Billy watched them go with a smile then headed for the car where Sarah was waiting anxiously.

 

"Mr. Billy, is Amanda okay?"

 

"She's just fine, Sarah." Melrose responded as he slid behind the wheel. "They're just taking her to the hospital to check her and make sure that she's all right. Mr. Lee is going with her." Sarah nodded. "Now why don't you tell me where you live and I'll take you home."

 

"Okay." Sarah replied and told him as they drove off. As they drove, Billy picked up the car phone and had dispatch put a call through to Amanda and Lee's home.

 

"Mrs. West, Billy Melrose here. .. yes.. yes... they're all okay, Lee's taking them to the hospital right now.  All right, see you there."

 

 

 

 

Amanda and Lee waited anxiously in the hospital room while a pediatrician checked out the twins. Several minutes later a doctor stepped through the door.

 

"Mr. and Mrs. Stetson? I'm Doctor Marian Callahan, I'm the pediatrician who examined your twins."

 

"How are they?" Amanda asked worriedly.

 

"Oh they're both just fine. Although I have to say that little girl of yours has quite a temper." She chuckled. "We're going to keep them here over night, mostly so that you can get some rest. You can take them home tomorrow."

 

"Thank you, Doctor."  Amanda said as she leaned back against the pillows. Lee lifted the hand he was holding and brushed his lips across her fingers.

"The nurses are just cleaning them up and will bring the twins back to you shortly. I don't know if you have chosen a pediatrician for them yet, but the twins need to be seen again in a week just to be sure they're eating properly and gaining weight."

 

"We haven't chosen a doctor for them yet." Lee stated.

 

"Well, I'd be more than happy to take the twins on if you would like?"

 

Lee and Amanda shared a look and Lee nodded. Amanda gave him a smile, squeezing his hand and then turned back to face the doctor. "We'd like that."

 

"Good. I'll have my nurse call and set up an appointment."

 

"Thank you." Amanda nodded.

 

"You're welcome and congratulations. You have two beautiful and perfect babies." Callahan smiled and then. "Uh oh, somebody's hungry." She chuckled as the distinct wails of a hungry baby could be heard coming down the hall.

 

 

A minute or so later two nurses appeared in the doorway. Each of them pushed a bassinette. In one, their daughter was screaming lustily. The nurses pushed the bassinettes near Amanda's bed and one smiled as she reached in and picked up the squalling infant. After checking the baby's I.D. band against Amanda's she handed her over.

 

"Hush my baby." Amanda soothed as she pulled her close. "Mama's here."

 

"I'm Tiffany," the nurse said. "I'm your babies' nurse. Now I haven't been told whether you had decided to breast or bottle feed them and so I brought some formula," she added with a smile as she held up the tiny bottle.

 

"I'd like to try and breast feed them," Amanda said shyly.

 

"All right. You may find that with the twins you'll have to supplement some feedings with formula, especially if they're both hungry at once. I'll leave this bottle in case the little guy decides he's hungry." She handed the bottle to Lee.

 

"Thank you."

 

"I'll be back in a little bit to see how you are doing." Tiffany smiled then strode from the room and closed the door.

 

 

~*~~*~

 

 

Sometime later Amanda looked down at the baby sleeping peacefully in her arms. Her eyes then lifted to look at Lee where he sat in the chair next to her holding their daughter. He was looking down at her with a soft, tender smile as she slept safely in his arms, his thumb tenderly stroking her tiny fist. "Such a tiny, fragile soul." She heard him murmur.

 

A small commotion at the door had both Amanda and Lee looking up to see a large white, beribboned teddy bear, balloons around its neck pop through the door followed by Dotty and then a second equally large and beribboned one but chocolate brown in color.

 

Dotty stopped and set the bears down and then turned to face Amanda and Lee.

 

"Amanda, honey you're looking radiant."

 

"Oh hush, Mother. I look terrible."

 

"Do not." She argued with a grin as she crossed to her daughter's side and gave her a kiss. "Glad to see you are home safe and sound sweetheart," she whispered in her ear.

 

"Thanks mother."

 

Dotty, looked down at the baby she held and then at the one in Lee's arms.

 

"Well would you look at those two little angels.”

 

 

Very soon the hospital room was filled with presents, flowers and well-wishers as Francine, Leatherneck, T.P, Billy and Jeannie, Phillip and Jamie, and Mrs. Marston arrived to greet the new arrivals.

 

"Have you decided on names yet?" Jeannie asked.

 

"As a matter of fact we have." Lee commented and met Amanda’s eyes. She gave him a nod and he squeezed her hand before turning back to the others. "Jennifer Emily for her." He looked down at his still sleeping daughter.

 

"And Matthew David, for our son." Amanda added.

 

"After your parents?" Billy stated and Lee nodded.

 

"I think they are perfect names." Dotty gushed, holding her newest grandson.

 

 

Several minutes later a nurse came into the room carrying Amanda's dinner tray. She shooed everyone but Lee from the room and waited until everyone had said their goodbyes and were gone before setting the tray on the bed table.

 

"Now, who do we have here?" She looked down at the baby

 

"Matthew." Amanda responded.

 

"Well hello there Matthew," she said as she reached out to take him from Amanda. "You come with me while your mama has some supper. There, that's a good boy." she crooned as she carried him to the bassinette and very gently lay him down.

 

"Now," she said as she turned back to Amanda. "I expect see everything on that tray gone when I get back."

 

"I promise."

 

"Good, I'm Sally. I'll be your nurse tonight. If you need anything just use the call button."

 

"Thanks, Sally."  Amanda picked up her fork and began eating.

 

 

 

 

Once Sally had gone, Lee got up and settled Jennifer in the bassinette before moving back to Amanda. "I'm going to grab some dinner too," he told her softly and brushed a kiss across her lips. "Be right back," he added and then gave her a smile and a wink before striding to the door.

 

Amanda watched him go with a smile then gave a happy sigh and turned back to her dinner.

 

 

~*~~*~

 

 

 

Lee moved through the house turning out the lights, his bare feet silent on the hard wood floors. It had been a busy day, starting with a quick trip to the Agency before picking up Amanda and the twins from the hospital.  After that they had come home to find that Dotty had thrown a huge surprise party. Now at the end of the day they were both exhausted. Lee moved to the stairs and quietly climbed, seeing the soft light filtering out of the nursery as he neared the top. He smiled when he heard Amanda's soft soprano drifting from the room.

 

"Hush my lil baby don't say a word

mama's gonna buy you a mockin' bird

and if that mockin' bird don't sing

mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring."

 

Lee smiled and moved quietly, standing in the doorway. His smile grew soft and tender as he looked in on his family. Matthew having already been fed was sound asleep in his crib. Amanda sat in the rocking chair, the lamp above her bathed her in its soft glow. Her eyes were downcast as she watched Jenny nurse greedily, her expression one of tender amusement.

 

"And if that diamond ring turns brass

mama's gonna buy you a lillookin glass

and if that lookin glass gets broke

mama's gonna buy you a billy goat.

and if that billy goat won't pull

mama's gonna buy you, she'll buy you a cart and a bull.

Hush lil baby, hush lil baby, hush lil baby don't you cry

 

And if that cart and bull turns over

then mama's gonna buy you, she'll buy you

a doggy named Rover

and if that doggy named Rover don't bark

mama's gonna buy you a horse, a horse and a cart

And if that horse and that cart fall down

you'll still be the sweetest lil baby in town

 

Hush lil baby, hush lil baby, hush lil baby don't you cry."

 

Amanda's voice trailed off softly, her hand raising to tenderly brush Jennifer's silky soft hair. "Mama's sweet, precious girl." she crooned in a soft whisper.

 

 

Almost as if she sensed his presence, Amanda looked up to see Lee leaning against the doorframe. "Hiya handsome."

 

"Hey there beautiful." He stepped into the room. He knelt beside the rocking chair and reached out, stroking a finger across the back of the tiny fist that lay against the curve of her breast. Instinctively the fist opened and closed around his finger, gripping tightly. Lee smiled and lifted his head meeting Amanda's warm gaze.

 

"Is she done?" he asked softly with a slightly amused grin.

 

"Yes, quite." Amanda murmured

 

"I'll put her to bed." Lee offered and she nodded.

 

Taking Jennifer from her breast, Amanda passed her to Lee and watched him with an affectionate smile as he pulled the baby tight to his shoulder. He pressed his lips to the top of her head and Amanda was unable to hear his soft murmur as he whispered something to her before settling her gently in her crib. He watched her sleep for a moment longer then turned to the second crib and looked down on Matthew.

 

Amanda quietly got up from the rocking chair, fastening the buttons on her nightgown as she moved to stand behind Lee. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she pressed a kiss to his bare shoulder before pressing herself close. Amanda felt him smile as his hands moved to grasp hers where they rested at his waist.

 

"I can't believe they're really here," he whispered softly.

 

"Well believe it, Scarecrow.” Amanda murmured in his ear. "They're here; perfect, beautiful and ours."

 

Lee turned in her embrace and he cupped her face gently between his hands. His voice was a soft, husky whisper when he spoke. "Have I told you how very much I love you, Mrs. Stetson?"

 

"Not in so many words," she told him softly. "But you tell me in here..." she said as she gently touched a finger to the corner of his eye. "And here.." she continued, gently brushing his lips. "And here," placing a hand over his heart and feeling its steady beat beneath her fingers. "You tell me with these." she continued as she took one of his large hands in hers, turning it over and studying it. It was a large hand, calloused and work worn, strong and dangerous. His were hands that were trained to kill and yet had caressed her with infinite gentleness. Hands that had the strength to hurt and yet held his children with the utmost care.

 

"And I've felt your love here," she continued and drew his hand down and pressed it to her abdomen. "Growing and moving and changing inside me. Jennifer and Matthew, and every time I look at them I'm reminded of how much you love me." Amanda smiled softly and her hand rose to cup his cheek, gently stroking it. "You're a man of few words, Lee and some words come more easily to you than others. I know that and it's one of the many reasons why I love you. I cherish those times when you've told me you love me and will always love hearing it, but you show me that you love me every day. You show me by the way you look at me, and the way that you speak to me, the way you hold me and touch me. All these things show me that you love me and that's all I will ever need."

 

There were tears in Lee's eyes as he bent his head to brush her lips tenderly. "I'd be so lost without you," he whispered against her lips.

 

"And I'd be lost without you," she replied softly. "But that's not going to happen. We're going to grow old, together. Watch our children grow, together and live a long, happy life, together."

 

Lee smiled and brushed another kiss to her lips. "You're right, as usual. Now, it's time we were in bed."

 

"Lead on MacDuff." Amanda playfully slapped his ass as he walked past her. Lee flashed her a grin and continued to the door waiting for her in the doorway. Crossing back to the rocking chair she turned out the light and navigated by the soft illumination of moonlight streaming in the windows made her way back to Lee's side. She slipped her hand into the warmth of his and he gave it an affectionate squeeze before leading her from the room.

 

 

FIN