- Text Size +

Two months later everything was nearly back to normal. The ship was on its way to its next destination in the proper time line and the crew was being briefed on their next mission. The intercom chime sounded and Picard acknowledged the call from inside the conference room where he sat with his senior officers.

"Yes, Ensign Davalos?"

"Sir. There is a call from headquarters for you. Priority one, Captain's eyes only."

"Very well. Send it through." Captain Picard got up and went to his ready room across the bridge from the conference room and sat in the big chair behind his desk. "Yes, Admiral?"

"Captain Picard, there is a crisis situation building in the Romulan Neutral Zone. One of our outposts has been attacked and although that there is no evidence that the Romulans are responsible we strongly believe that it is. This particular outpost had some very sensitive Starfleet equipment and it is now missing. We can find no trace of this equipment anywhere in Federation space. We think that Commander Sela may be involved." Picard felt his spirit sink. Commander Sela was a dangerous adversary and the daughter of a dear friend. What would he do if he had to destroy her? "Why do you suspect her?"

"Because, Jean-Luc, she knows that any break of the treaty would demand immediate action by the Federation. Who else would we send but our flagship, Enterprise and her seasoned crew. Your ship and its complement are the only ones qualified to deal with this matter."

"So, you think that Sela wants a confrontation with me?" Picard asked.

"That seems to be the case. She left some personal articles of Lieutenant Yar's behind as a clue. It would seem she wants to speak to you personally." he paused. "This matter is very sensitive Jean-Luc so please brief only those members of your senior staff."

"Understood, Admiral. Enterprise out." Picard sat a moment thinking about the situation before he got up and strode back out onto the bridge. Crossing over, once more, to the conference lounge he entered and took his seat. The others waited for him to speak.

"It seems that an old adversary has come back to haunt us." he could see the curious looks in each officer's eyes. "Our next mission takes us to the Romulan Neutral Zone. It seems that Starfleet has misplaced some very sensitive equipment and it is our distinct pleasure to recover it." they could hear the sarcasm oozing in his voice.

"Well. Where abouts do they think they have lost it?" asked Riker, noting that so far the details were very sketchy.

"Since you ask. They seem to feel that Commander Sela has had a hand in its disappearance." he said neutrally.

That did it. Riker jumped up, "Oh great. Sela. First Q and now this. Why do we bother? We are fighting a losing battle. I swear, I'm on the wrong team. When this is over I vow I am going to take a permanent vacation to the nearest uncharted solar system. Anyone care to join me?" Riker asked. There was much nodding and agreement among those seated at the table, including the illustrious Captain Picard. "Seriously, what the hell are we supposed to do against the entire Romulan Empire?"

"Try."

Picard broke the silence that followed Beverly's last statement. "That's right. We are Starfleet's Ambassadors and we must try. However, the Admiral believes that Sela only wishes to speak regarding a personal matter."

"What makes them think that?" Beverly asked.

"Several of Tasha's personal belongings were left at the scene of the crime." he looked at Data. "So to speak."

"I see."

"Sir? Could this not be an attempt by the Romulans to divert us away from our original destination? Is it possible that they have an ulterior motive in mind?" Data asked.

"That is a possibility, Data. We must do everything possible to figure this puzzle out but our orders are to proceed to outpost 79 immediately to offer our assistance where possible. I have reason to believe that Sela will contact us there." Picard stated matter-of-factly.

The rest of the briefing went quickly and the course was plotted into the computer. They would arrive at outpost 79 in two days from their present position at warp 6.

Beverly looked up from her meal and across the table at her dinner companion. All through their dinner he'd been rather quiet and hadn't really eaten much. Which was unlike him.

"Jean?" she called quietly and the man looked up from his plate.

"Yes?"

"You've been awfully quiet. What's wrong?" she questioned softly and reached across the table to grasp his hand. He gave her a smile and squeezed her hand affectionately.

"Oh nothing. I was just thinking, musing really."

"About what?"

"This whole mission, something about it just doesn't feel right. It's nothing I can put my finger on but...." he shrugged.

"Do you think Sela is up to something?" his companion questioned.

"Oh most definitely. I just don't know what. Why would she want to talk to me when she loathes me and anything that reminds her that her mother was once a Federation civilian, much less a Starfleet officer."

Beverly did not reply. She got up from the table and moved to stand behind his chair. Leaning forward she slipped her arms around his neck and softly kissed the top of his head. Jean-Luc smiled and gently grasped her hand pressing his lips to the inside of her wrist. "You know something, Picard?" she whispered in his ear, "You worry too much. You're going to lose your hair, and you can't stand to lose anymore." she giggled and brushed her free hand through the silver-grey fringe at the back of his head.

Picard chuckled, her teasing banter instantly lightening his dark mood. "Come here." he said guiding her by the hand around the chair and then pulling her down to sit on his lap. Beverly snuggled in close resting her head on his shoulder. Smiling, Jean-Luc kissed the top of her auburn head and then reached down and tucked the end of her flowing green skirt around her bare feet. "You always know how to cheer me up, don't you?" he smiled.

"I do try." They sat quietly, holding one another like that for a long time, savoring the peaceful solitude. Suddenly the intercom chimed, shattering the quiet interlude.

With a sigh Picard acknowledged it. "Yes?"

"Sorry to disturb you sir," Riker said, "But you're needed on the bridge."

"Alright Number One. I'll be right there."

"Yes sir." was Riker's reply and the channel closed.

"Well cherie," Jean-Luc said quietly, "So much for a quiet evening. Duty calls."

"That's alright." she said, and lifted her head from his shoulder. "I'm sure its important or Will wouldn't have called you. He knows better." Beverly smiled and rose allowing him to stand.

Picard gave her a smile, leaning forward to kiss her softly. "Don't wait up for me, I don't know how long I'll be." Beverly nodded and watched as he turned and left.

Two hours later Jean-Luc once again entered his cabin. It was nearly dark inside except for the small light Beverly had left burning on the end table. Picard crossed the room turning off the light, then from memory he crossed the dark room to the sleeping area. The faint starlight that filtered in from the viewport above the bed allowed him enough light to make out Beverly's sleeping form. He smiled softly and entered the room. He looked down at her for a moment watching her sleep and then turned away moving to the head.

Jean-Luc emerged minutes later in his pajamas and crossed to his side of the bed. She lay on her side with her back to him so he snuggled in close, slipping his arms around her and pulling her back against him. The smooth curve of her back was nestled against his chest, and her fragrant hair spilled across his arm. Instinctively her hand came up to grasp his where it rested on her waist. With a soft smile he kissed her ivory cheek. "Bonne nuit mon cher." he whispered then closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

The captain was rudely awakened by the sound of the emergency klaxon just as Commander Data buzzed his quarters. "Captain sir, the Romulans are approaching at high warp with their shields up. They are hailing and will talk only to you."

"On my way." Picard grumbled.

Within three minutes he was on the bridge. "Open hailing frequencies."

"Channel open." Worf replied from tactical.

"On screen."

Sela smiled calculatingly as her image appeared on the view screen. She was seated in the command chair of the Romulan warbird and did not rise.

"Good morning Picard. I trust you slept well."

"Drop the pleasantries Sela and get to the point. First why have you defied the treaty and entered Federation space. That can be taken as an act of war if we choose to see it that way." Picard stated, he was not in a good mood.

"I don't know what you're talking about, we have not entered Federation space as you can see we've only crossed into the neutral zone."

"A technicality, besides what about when you raided our outpost."

"Outpost? What outpost?" Sela smiled innocently.

"You know damn well what outpost!" Picard growled in frustration. Bloody hell these Romulans could be a real pain in the derrierre. Bloody annoying too. "You left some things behind. Things that could only have come from you."

"Afraid not Picard. We have honored our end of the treaty. We have not been in Federation space."

"Then how in the name of hell did your mother's things show up on Outpost 79?"

"What are you talking about?" Sela looked honestly confused "My mother's things are where they have been since she was executed. Stored away on Romulus."

Now it was Picard's turn to look confused, a look that was shared by every officer on the bridge. This didn't make any sense and now Picard was sure that there was something definitely wrong with this situation.

Picard thought a moment, "There seems to be a grave misunderstanding Commander. If you did not leave those items on Outpost 79 it is my opinion that we should meet to discuss who did."

"Very well Picard. I will call my father and have him check mother's belongings. Perhaps someone has stolen them. I swear to you Picard that even though we dislike each other, in the interest of peace we will assist you. We do not want war any more than you do. It is not in our best interest at this time."

Picard was not sure how to take that last statement and he still did not trust her, he knew that if they were to get to the bottom of this and find out who might benefit by Romulus and the Federation going to war they must forge an uneasy alliance. "Perhaps we could meet here on the Enterprise." he suggested.

"As you wish Picard." Sela nodded. "Shall we say in one hour?"

"Very well."

"Oh, and Picard I will speak to no one but you. There must be no others present."

Worf growled in suspicion, moving forward but Picard held up a restraining hand. "Alright." he agreed and the screen blanked.

Picard sighed tiredly as he watched Sela leave the conference lounge. Their discussion had proved fruitless and had led no where. They still had no idea what was going on. Sela's call to Romulus had proven that some of Tasha's things were missing but no one had any idea where they had gone or who had taken them. They had been stored in an unused portion of her father's warehouse and had not been touched since Tasha's death. At least that was what Sela had said, of course, he could not be sure if she was telling the truth. She could very well be lying and leading them all down the garden path but, what else could he do but trust her. He had no choice. Damn, there were days when he regreted his choice of career, not many days but there were a few. Maybe he should have become an archeologist.

Getting up from the table Picard left the room and stepped out onto the bridge. Riker turned to look at him from where he was sitting in the center seat. Picard noticed that Worf was conspicuously absent. "Number One, where is Lieutenant Worf?" he asked as he moved down the ramp.

"Um," Riker started as he stood to relinquished his chair, "Worf felt it was his duty to make sure that Commander Sela arrived at her ship um...safely." he ended

Picard groaned audibly. He could almost picture the scene. Klingons and Romulans hated each other more than Romulans and Humans. If they were not physically fighting, their favorite past time was slinging insults.

Just then the turbolift door opened and a very irate Worf stepped out onto the bridge. He was growling and Picard smiled to himself when he heard the Klingon swear in his native language. Obviously his security chief had forgotten that his Captain was as fluent in Klingonese as the Klingon was. "I trust that Commander Sela made it to her ship without incident, Lieutenant?" Picard smiled.

The Klingon nodded and grumbled an "Aye sir." Muttering something else that sounded like "But I wish I could have beamed her into a wall." Worf crossed to his station. Picard gave him an amused look and then turned back to Riker who had also heard the comment and was trying not to laugh, as he too shared Worf's sentiment.

"Well Number One," Picard said as he took his seat "It seems that we are as much in the dark now as we were before I had my talk with Sela."

"She might have been lying sir." Riker said as he sat down beside the Captain. "After all Romulans are not noted for their honesty."

"Yes I know, but something tells me that this time she is telling the truth." Picard said quietly.

"Then who else could it be?"

"Any one of our numerous adversaries Number One."

It was sometime later when the bridge intercom chimed. "Sickbay to bridge?"

"Go ahead." Picard replied.

"This is Nurse Ogawa, sir. Is Doctor Crusher there?"

"No she's not." Picard replied, feeling uneasy "Why?"

"Well sir, nobody seems to know where she is."

"What do you mean, nobody knows. Someone has to know where she went." Jean-Luc stated then addressed the computer "Computer, location of Doctor Beverly Crusher."

"Doctor Crusher is not aboard the Enterprise." said the disembodied voice.

From the look on Picard's face Riker had visions of the captain jumping up and down yelling "Merde" continuously at the top of his lungs.

"Well I guess we know who's behind all this now" Riker muttered "Our old buddy Q." He looked at Captain Picard who still looked murderous and was trying to keep himself under control. Riker stood out of arms reach on the off chance that the captain decided to vent his frustration and beat the snot out of somebody.

With barely suppressed rage the Captain called quietly. "Q?"

At that moment a dazzling bright light appeared with Q in its midst. "You called mon capitaine?"

Jean-Luc turned to face Q who stood at the front of the bridge, "Where is she?" he asked dangerously quiet.

In the past few months since her last capture it had become well known that the doctor and the captain were somewhat of an item. Of course, that had ended years of speculation, rumour, and had left one Deanna Troi, ship's counselor extrodinaire a very wealthy woman. The Enterprise bridge crew and medical personnel had a running bet for years now as to whether or not the Captain and Doctor would have an affair. Deanna had won, sensing from the beginning that they were attracted to one another and only needed time.

Q looked puzzled, "Where is who?"

Jean-Luc was not in the mood for Q's games.

The scene flashed, changing instantly before her eyes and Beverly once again found herself on the dark, cold streets of London. This was too much. She'd learned a lot from Jean-Luc in the past including some of the more colorful French expletives. "Merde!" she mumbled. One thing she didn't have, however, was his patience. Little did she know that if she listened carefully she would be able to hear Picard screaming three galaxies away as he finally lost all patience with Q.

A small hand tugged at her arm, and Beverly realized for the first time that she was not alone. She looked down and saw Emma standing beside her with fear filled eyes. The Ripper was behind them once again. "Come Beverly, let's go." Emma pleaded. With a strange sense of Deja vu, Beverly handed Emma the paper envelope she carried. The scene was enfolding just as it had before. "Take this back to the inn Emma and give it to Hannah. Tell her to make a tea and give it to your mother every three hours."

"But..." Emma protested.

"Don't argue with me. I'll be alright. Just run...now."

With a nod Emma lifted her skirts and began running down the street. Beverly sighed, sure now that the girl would be safe. She quickened her pace and began walking bracing herself for what she knew would come. If the scenario continued as it had before she knew when and where the Ripper would strike and she prepared herself for defense. She had been taken unaware the last time, this time would be different. As she walked Beverly felt a slow burning anger rise up inside her directed at Q. She'd finally had enough of his meddling and she swore that if it took her whole life she'd get even. He deserved to be taught another lesson. Obviously his brush with humanity last year had taught him nothing. Perhaps the Q continuum needed to be informed of this latest interference.

Behind Beverly the Ripper's footsteps quickened in time with her own. She whirled around to face the man, this time prepared.

"What do you want? Why are you following me?" she demanded irritably. She was unable to see his face clearly in the shadows of the alley.

"I'm sorry madam." the man's deep voice rumbled "I did not mean to startle you. I was only desirous of your company." he held up a gold coin in his white gloved hand. Somehow the man's voice seemed familiar but she could not place it.

"Not tonight Jack." she countered flippantly.

"My dear Beverly, not even once for old time's sake?" The Ripper stepped out of the shadows and time literally stood still.

The shock that hit Beverly was almost like a physical blow and she stumbled back falling into a pair of waiting arms. She looked up and Q was smiling down at her. So unexpected was this turn of events that Beverly was speechless as Q had anticipated.

"You should be more careful Doctor, you could get hurt." he said while steadying her on her feet. In the stunned silence that followed Beverly looked from Q to the Ripper and back again.

"Why are you doing this Q?" she asked quietly. "Do you dislike me so much?" She looked up into his face searching for some indication of his intentions.

"Beverly, when I was human you and the android Data gave me invaluable insight into what it is to be human. The misery, suffering and feelings of loss you humans endure in your lifetimes is quite beyond my capacity. I have brought you here to offer you a gift."

"You can't be serious?" Beverly asked. "I can't believe that even you could be this cruel." she gestured towards the Ripper with tears in her eyes.

"I assure you Doctor, I am quite serious. The choice is yours. You can keep him if you wish, and if not, I offer you the opportunity to see for yourself what really happened to Jack the Ripper." Q smiled.

Beverly made no reply. Her mind could not cope with the choice she had been given. She looked at Q "This is not fair."

"Life is never fair. How many people get a second chance? Take it."

"But...."

"There is no but, only a choice. Either you kiss the Ripper and turn him into your prince, or Jack the Ripper he shall be." Just then Beverly heard a familiar voice calling.

"Over here Jean-Luc." Beverly called to him. Jean-Luc came rushing up the alley hell bent on exacting revenge on the man in front of him.

"Jean-Luc, how good of you to join us, I was afraid you would be too late. Beverly was just about to make a choice. Perhaps you can help her. Perhaps you cannot." Q pointed to the Ripper.

Picard was speechless. Q walked over to Beverly putting his hands on her shoulders and leaned in close. "It's up to you Beverly. Kiss him, and Jack Crusher will live again." Q backed off and stood by Jean-Luc who hadn't moved. Quietly he asked "How does it feel to lose control Captain?"

Jean-Luc looked him straight in the eye but could not find words for how he felt. "Make your choice Doctor. Will you kiss the Ripper?" Q asked.

When Amanda Rogers had been aboard the Enterprise and had discovered that she was a Q, she had asked Beverly a difficult question. If she had it in her power to bring her husband back, would she? Beverly had answered that she could not make that kind of a decision unless faced with it, and now she was.

Beverly turned to look at the motionless form of `Jack the Ripper'. Quietly she approached him and looked up into the face of her long dead, but beloved husband. Jack Crusher appeared as he would have had he not died. At age 46 he was still devestatingly handsome. Grey marked his chestnut hair at the temples, but his eyes were still the same warm, lively brown that she remembered. Reaching up with a trembling hand she traced the lines of his face as she had longed to for so long after he was gone. Had Q given her this choice in those first few years after his death she would have jumped at it but...

Beverly turned back to look at Jean-Luc. He stood silently beside Q and outwardly he showed no emotion, but his green eyes were wide and questioning and in them she could clearly read his feelings. There was pain in them; compassion for her and the decision she had to make and fear; fear at what her choice might be; fear that he might lose her.

It was then that Beverly made her decision. She turned back to Jack and Jean-Luc felt his heart sink but she merely stole one last glance at Jack Crusher before she moved toward him.

Beverly moved into Jean-Luc's embrace hiding her face in his shoulder. Picard closed his eyes to the surge of relief he felt and raised his hand to the back of her head, holding her close. He could feel her body tremble as she cried softly on his shoulder. Picard turned his head to look at Q.

"Well, there's no accounting for some peoples taste. Personally I would have chosen Jack." Picard shot him a glare but Q did not seem to notice and continued his tangent. "I am curious though Doctor, how did you come to your decision?"

Beverly looked up and fixed Q with a hate filled glare but her voice was quiet when she spoke. "That part of my life is over now Q, I put it behind me along time ago."

"Very well Doctor, as I said before it was your choice you have to live with it or him, as the case may be."

"Enough of this Q. Send us back to the Enterprise." Picard ordered, his voice was low and dangerous.

"Au contraire mon capitaine, I promised to show the fair Doctor the fate of Jack the Ripper and show her I shall."

Before either one could protest the motionless figure of Jack the Ripper came to life once again instantly changed from Jack Crusher to the man Beverly had seen before. At that moment there was a brilliant flash of light and another person appeared to stand beside Q "Q2" Q said with obvious surprise "What are you doing here?"

"Stopping you from making a grave error." Q2 answered him "Once again you have succeeded in pissing off the continuum and you are very close to becoming a human yourself, permanently."

Q gave him a `who me?' look, pointing to himself.

"Yes, but if you end this now I might be able to prevent that, if not I will leave you in the hands of your `friends'" Q2 threatened. Picard grinned evilly at the thought of having Q at his mercy.

Q on the other hand, was positively piqued. "You wouldn't?" Q could see from the look on the others face that he might even enjoy watching Picard in action, or worse, the woman. "This is outrageous. It's not fair."

Beverly smiled and quoted his earlier statement. "Life is never fair Q."

"Fine. Have it your way. If you don't want to know what happens to Jack the Ripper, that's your business but don't complain to me about broken promises. I won't listen." he snapped and flashed out of sight.

"When does he ever listen?" Bev asked.

"Never." Q2 answered. "That is why the continuum keeps him on probation most of the time. We are not all that bad, but he does have his good points too."

"Ya? Like what? I really want to know." Picard said.

Q2 smiled mischievously, "Well, keep on guessing." he flashed out and they found themselves back on Enterprise, in an access conduit above ten forward.

Jean-Luc wondered why he hadn't thought of this before, this was one place he would get some privacy. Still holding Beverly he even considered the idea.

He heard some one clear their throat, it was not Beverly. He frowned and looked up to see Chief O'Brien looking in at them from the hatch. "Uh...I.." he paused clearly confused. "How did you...."

At the look on O'Brien's face Beverly could only guess what was going through his mind and how they must look. She couldn't restrain a giggle and let her head drop to the floor of the conduit. "I don't believe this." she muttered and began to laugh in earnest.

O'Brien looked from his perch on Guinan's bar to the patrons gathered at the counter. From their reactions he knew that they could all hear the doctor laughing. As diplomatically as possible, he asked, "Can I help you Sir?"

The Captain grinned despite himself, "Twice Q has kidnapped our doctor, he's almost started a war between the Federation and the Romulans, I've had the questionable pleasure of facing Jack the Ripper, I've seen my long dead best friend, Jack Crusher, and now I've been beamed into a conduit in a somewhat compromising position. Do you think I need help?" Picard asked sarcastically.

"Right Sir."

During the captain's diatribe Beverly's laughter could be heard to get progressively louder. Jean-Luc looked down into his companion's face and saw the tears streaming down her cheeks. The hilarity of the situation crystalized as he pictured what Beverly had earlier imagined. Slowly he lowered his head into her hair and his body shook with silent laughter.

O'Brien looked doubtfully at his superior officers and wondered if the strain of the last mission hadn't caused them to lose their perspective. The captain usually had no sense of humour when it came to Q's antics and being beamed into a conduit definitely rated as Q's worst coup to date.

Taking note of how they were wedged into the small conduit O'Brien tapped his comm-badge, "Transporter room 3 lock onto Captain Picard's comm signal and get them out of this conduit." In an aside to the captain O'Brien muttered, "We'll have you out of there in a jiffy Sir."

Before Picard could reply he and Beverly were beamed out of Ten Forward's ceiling. The transporter technician, not having been given specific instructions, beamed the couple directly onto the bridge.

They were still laughing when they materialized and it took them a moment to realize just where they were. As the crew gaped in stunned silence Picard rose as gracefully as his position allowed and helped the doctor to her feet. Trying to cover the awkward moment Picard snapped at Riker, "Report Number One."

"The mission on Canus 4 has been completed with no complications. The medical supplies have been stored and treatment of the affected colonists has begun. Other supplies have been properly distributed and the generators are functional."

"Fully functional," Data said softly.

Captain Picard heard the comment and by the shade of red on Beverly's face, she had too. This was a hell of a time for Data to finally grasp the concept of humour. He tapped his comm badge, "Two to beam to the Captain's quarters."

The instant the transporter beam released them Beverly started to giggle. "You should have seen the look on your face."

"My face!?" Jean-Luc joined in. "How about your face?"

"It was pretty funny." Beverly said and moved back into his arms. Jean-Luc chuckled and pressed his lips to her forehead. After a moment he spoke again.

"Beverly may I ask you something?"

"Of course, anything." she responded and pulled back to look into his eyes.

"Back there when Q gave you the choice, you could have had Jack in your life again. Why didn't you accept his offer?" he asked softly and Beverly could hear the trepidation and vulnerability in his voice

Crusher gave him a tender smile and brushed the back of her hand down his cheek. "Because, as I told Q that part of my life is over. I'm not the same person I was when Jack died. Had Q given me the choice then I would have taken it. A part of me will always miss him and love him but I've moved on and I have you in my life. That's all I'll ever need. Jean, you've made me more happy in the short time that we've been together than all the years I spent with Jack and I don't ever want to lose that. I wouldn't trade our life together for anything." she said softly.

"I don't deserve you." he added his voice husky with emotion.

Beverly's reply was silenced when his mouth swooped down to claim hers in an ardent kiss. Picking her up in his arms Jean-Luc carried Beverly to their bedroom. Soon their ordeal was forgotten as the white hot flame of desire burned away everything but thoughts of each other.

    FIN :-)