- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Reading The Serpent's Heart by Arla is required because there is a small but very important clue. :o) As always, Kudos to my beta readers. Alli, Sheena and Kat. Thanks a bunch guys couldn't have done this without you. :o)

Feels Like Home

 

 

 

In your eyes

I found the answers to my questions

In your arms, yeah

I found the world I've waited for

In your touch

Found everything I ever needed

I need nothing more

 

Always dreamed of the day

When my dream would find me

Now my dream's beside me

You are in my life

 

Chorus:

 

In your arms I know where I belong

I've never known this feeling, oh

But it feels like home

In your eyes I know what I can be

You opened up your heart to me

And it feels like home

When I'm with you baby it feels like home

 

All this time

When there was not much to believe in

I kept my faith, yeah

That you were waiting there for me

I searched this world

And now my search in finally over

Found the one I need

Always hoped for the day

When my heart would find you

Now my heart's beside you

You are in my life

 

Chorus:

 

Doesn't matter where I've been

Or what I've been through

Cause I know I've been

Waiting everyday of my life

To be with you

To be with you

 

 

 

 

 

The days and nights had stretched into one until she no longer knew how long she had been in this god-forsaken hole. Days, weeks, maybe even years: she just didn't know. She no longer knew who or what she was and wondered if she had anyone who mourned her loss. She thought there was, for if she concentrated hard enough she could bring the image of a face. Dark eyes and a voice that brought with it comfort and safety. She felt safe with him and could even remember the feel of his arms holding her close and keeping her safe. Safe from the nightmares, safe from the demons, safe from the cold and the hunger. She needed that safety now more than she needed air to breathe. God in heaven why couldn't she remember who he was, who she was, and why she was here?

 

Hardly anyone came to see her. Food was passed through to her once a day, if it could be called food: a small bowl of bitter, tasteless gruel and a cup of water. She could hear people moving outside her cell and there was one girl who wasn't afraid of her. She would on occasion stick her head through the open bars and peek inside at her. She didn't understand much of what the child said to her, she had been able to learn only a few words. She only knew that the others were afraid of her. Why? She didn't know.

 

 

 

 

She stretched out on the bed of straw and wrinkled her nose at the pungent, stale smell. As she tucked her hand under her head, her hand brushed the chain that was around her neck. She picked up the end and stared down at the strange symbol and the jewel in the center. It was important, that she knew, but she didn't know how or why just that it was. It was a link to the man from her dreams. He had given it to her and it was special. She knew that if she could find someone to get it to him he would come and rescue her. She clutched it tightly in her palm, closing her eyes and tried to bring his face to her mind. Hot tears rolled down her cheeks, leaving their tracks on her dirty cheeks. She was tired, so very tired, and sick, and cold and hungry. She didn't think she had the strength to hold on much longer. If he didn't come. He must come. She told herself.

"Please," she whispered through cracked and bleeding lips. "Please you must find me. You must save me."

 

 

 

 

The commotion outside of her cell woke her sometime later and she struggled to sit up. Her strength was nearly gone and it took all she had remaining to pull herself up to the bars on her cell door. This action earned her a sharp crack across the knuckles with the stick her jailer always carried. She cried out in pain and fell back as the jailer laughed evilly and moved away.

 

She waited until he was no longer near before summoning up the strength to pull herself up. She peered through the bars into the village and hope filled her went she saw the group of strangers. The strange clothes they wore were familiar to her and tugged at something deep in her mind. They knew him and could take the symbol to him. He would finally come for her. Seeing her little friend nearby she motioned the child over. The child came quickly and knelt by the bars chattering wildly.

 

Taking the chain from around her neck she held it out and spoke in the few words she knew, telling the child to give it to the strangers. The child nodded and obeyed, quickly running to the strangers.

 

The tallest stranger smiled and accepted the child's gift. She watched with a new born hope as they left. As they disappeared from sight she curled back up on her bed of straw, hugging herself tight. She imagined his arms around her, holding her tight, telling her that everything would be all right and she smiled. Everything would be all right for he was coming for her and he would take her home.

 

 

 

Daniel stood with what was left of his team and waited for the other SG team to finish embarking from the stargate. As he waited he looked past Teal'c, next to him, and his gaze settled on Jack, standing at the end. He winced. God, he looked terrible. It had been over three months since Sam had disappeared without a trace and Jack was like a man crazed. If Daniel hadn't known that Jack and Sam were involved before she disappeared he certainly did now. Jack never smiled any more or laughed and hardly spoke to anyone. When he did, it was always brusque and perfunctory. Jack spent his downtime alone, despite repeated pleas from him and Teal'c, and Daniel knew that he was drinking more than usual. He was no longer the man he was and it was though he had lost all the joy in his life. Perhaps he had. He was merely existing and the only thing holding him together, the only thing making him go on each day was the hope that on one of those days he would find Sam.

 

 

Daniel turned his eyes away and watched as the last man, the SG team's leader, stepped down the ramp. General Hammond was waiting for them as he always did with each of his teams. The team leader approached Hammond and they spoke for a moment when the leader nodded and then held something up.

 

 

Daniel turned back to Jack when he released a sound that was half gasp half agonized moan. "God!" he called and was across the room in a split second. He grasped the man's wrist and fairly yanked the item from the man's hand. "Where did you get this!?" he almost yelled.

 

"Tell me where you found this?!" Jack said again. His eyes were full of an emotion the other man didn't quite recognize as he turned his gaze to the necklace. It was the stargate symbol for earth and nestled between the legs of the inverted V was a small green jewel.

 

"Geez, O'Neill, calm down."

 

"I won't calm down until you tell me where you got this!" he stressed.

 

"Colonel O'Neill." Hammond barked. "Just what is going on?"

 

Jack took a deep breath. "This necklace, sir. It's Sam's" he stated, unaware that he had used her first name.

 

"Are you sure?" Hammond asked.

 

"I'm positive. I gave it to her. I had it made to hold the stone she got on P3X...whatever. Does it really matter? It’s hers."

 

"Captain?" Hammond questioned the other team leader.

 

"Yes, Sir. I got it on the last planet we were on. Just as we were leaving a child ran up to me and handed me the necklace. I thought it was a gift."

 

"Don't you see, it wasn't a gift? It was Sa.....Major Carter. She was trying to send a message, telling us where she is." Jack said then turned to look the General in the eyes. "Permission to dismiss our current assignment and go after Major Carter, Sir?"

 

"Very well, Colonel O'Neill, take Captain Lance and his team with you."

 

"Yes sir." Jack nodded. "Let's move out." he called to the others and they gathered together at the foot of the ramp while the planet was dialed up again.

 

 

 

Jack's foot tapped nervously on the floor while they waited for the gate to activate and tried to think of anything else but the anxious pounding of his heart. 'What if's' ran through his brain. What if she wasn't there or what if, God forbid, she was dead. This last thought he pushed away quickly, not even being able to make himself face that prospect. She would be fine, he told himself with firm resolve.

 

"All right Campers, let's move " he called and motioned for everyone to follow as he strode up the ramp and into the wormhole.

 

 

 

Once everyone had been deposited on the opposite side of the wormhole, Jack faced Captain Lance. "Which way?"

 

"The village is about a mile or so straight ahead."

 

Jack merely nodded and started out, knowing the others would follow.

 

 

Several minutes later they entered the village. Several villagers approached, gesticulating wildly and talking in an unfamiliar language.

 

"Daniel?" Jack called and waited for his friend to move to the front of the group.

 

"It's a very old dialect." he muttered and "So I'm not entirely sure, but I think they want to know why we've come back?" Daniel started then turned to look at Jack. "They're afraid of us."

 

"Why?" Jack asked curiously and listened intently while Daniel posed the question to the villagers.

 

"The only answer I got, is because the God and his acolyte told them to be. They were told to beware of the strangers who came through the ring of the Gods."

 

"Ask them about Sam." Jack said almost brusquely. Daniel nodded and turned back.

 

His answer was silence and they all appeared terrified by the question. Daniel asked the question again and again received silence but this time, Jack caught the furtive glance one of the villagers shot towards the building off to the side of where they stood.

 

"There." Jack stated, pointing. He broke away from the group and strode across the compound. The rest of the SG team followed him and so did the villagers, talking wildly and trying to stop them.

 

 

 

Jack reached the building and the approached the barred door. As he neared a burly villager stepped in front of him brandishing a large club.

 

"Tell him to get out of my way, Daniel." Jack stated firmly.

 

Daniel complied and the man merely shook his head, smacking the club into the palm of his hand.

 

"Move, NOW!" Jack called out and when then man still would not move Jack swore and pulled his field weapon from his holster. He flicked off the safety and lifted the weapon until it was on a direct line with the man's forehead.

 

 

Even though he knew the man couldn't understand him Jack's voice was low and dangerous when he growled. "Step aside, now or I'll splatter your brains all over this compound!"

 

"God, Jack have you lost your mind?!" Daniel cried out and grasped his other arm but Jack merely offered a short nod.

 

"Its okay, Daniel." he told the young archeologist. "We understand each other, don't we?" Jack finished never taking his eyes from the jailer.

 

A fraction of a second later the jailer stepped aside. "Smartest move you ever made." Jack muttered as he slipped his weapon back into the holster. "Watch my back." he stated as he approached the door and looked through the open bars. The area inside was dim the only light coming from a barred window on the opposite wall and dust motes danced lazily in the beam of sunlight that streamed in. Jack lifted the heavy bar that kept the door locked and pulled open the door. He stepped into the dingy cell, his eyes taking a moment to adjust to the dimness. When they did he looked around and frowned seeing no one inside. It was only as he turned to leave that he spotted the form huddled in the corner behind the door.

 

 

"Sam?" he called anxiously and moved to kneel beside the wretched bundle. He reached out a tentative hand, pulling back the dirt encrusted piece of cloth that had once been a blanket.

 

 

"No, please, go away, no more." the bundle whispered weakly, voice harsh and cracked with disuse. But Jack knew that voice, he'd know it anywhere, in any form.

 

"Sam?" Jack said softly and laid a hand against her bruised and dirty cheek, gently turning her head until she looked up at him. "Sam, baby it's Jack." he whispered, voice choking with emotion.

 

"Jack?" she muttered. "No," she shook her head as tears welled in her eyes. "Not real, just another dream." she sobbed and tried to turn her face away but Jack refused to let her.

 

"I'm not a dream Sammy." he whispered, unable to stop his own tears "It's really me. I've come to take you home."

 

"Home?" she whispered. "I wanna go home."

 

"Yes, I know." Jack replied softly and then looked over his shoulder and found a concerned Daniel standing in the doorway. "Get me a blanket." Jack told him then turned back to Sam. He pulled the blanket from her and his tears gave way to rage. She was clothed in nothing more than a large gown, tattered and ragged, that was several sizes too large for her small frame. Even through the dirt, Jack could see the mottled bruises that covered the flesh of her legs and knew without looking that the bruises disappeared beneath her dress.

 

"God, what did they do to you?" he choked out then pushed down the smoldering ember of his rage and leaned over her. Pressing his hand to her cheek once again he gently drew her eyes back to his. "Sammy." he said softly. "Baby, look at me. Tell me who did this to you?"

 

Sam blinked and stared at him for a moment then her mouth formed a name, two names. "......bourne......touf." Was all Jack heard, but it was enough.

 

 

"I'll kill them." he stated, voice full of rage.

 

 

"Jack?" Daniel called and when O'Neill turned he saw his friend standing behind him holding a blanket. Jack took it without a word and spread it over Sam. She cried out in pain when he picked her up in his arms and Jack's jaw clenched as his body was filled with both hot anger for those who had hurt her and sorrow that he had caused her pain. He drew her tight to his body and fought back his shock to find that she weighed almost nothing. Her once lean, trim athletic form was now skin and bones. "It's okay, Sammy." he murmured softly. "I've got you now and they'll never hurt you again. That's a promise." he finished as he turned to face Daniel.

 

"How is she?" Jackson asked, his voice heavily laced with concern.

 

"Not good." Jack said quietly his features lined with worry. "We have to get her back to Janet." he stated as he pulled her tighter and moved to the door. He carried Sam out into the warm sunshine, and upon seeing what he was doing the villagers began to mutter their discontent and displeasure. Several approached, trying to stop them. Daniel intervened and had a quick, hurried conversation with the leader.

 

 

"They're saying that we can't take her. That their God will be angry and will punish them?"

 

"You tell them," Jack ground out, his teeth clenched to hold back his fury. "That I don't give a fuck what happens to them or if that snake headed son of a bitch is angry! I'll deal with him in my own time and when I do he's going to be very, very sorry." Jack finished and pushed his way through the crowd.

 

"Make sure they don't stop us." Jack told Lance's team as he headed out of the village.

 

"You got it" Lance replied and his team brought up the rear watching for any hostile action as they all headed back to the stargate.

 

 

 

 

Jack paced like a caged tiger outside the infirmary waiting for news on Sam. Janet had thrown him out, refusing to let him stay and so all he could do now was pace and worry.

 

 

It was several more minutes before the door to the infirmary opened and Janet stepped out.

 

"Doc?" Jack questioned anxiously.

 

"She's holding her own." Janet told him in a quiet voice.

 

"What the hell does that mean?"

 

"It means," Janet paused for a moment "It means that it could have been one hell of a lot worse for her. Whoever they were they certainly did a number on her."

 

"What did they do to her?" Jack asked, his voice laced with both concern and anger at those who had hurt her.

 

"It's more of a question of what they didn't do to her." Janet sighed heavily. "She's malnourished, almost to the point of starving. She's been beaten so many times I can't tell what bruises are new and what aren't. Her left cheekbone is broken, she has wounds in her wrists and ankles from restraints that have become badly infected as well as lash marks on her back that are also infected. She's developed pneumonia from being forced to sleep on the cold, wet ground..... and the list goes on." Janet finished

 

Jack swallowed hard and asked the question that had been on his mind since finding Sam. "Was she raped?"

 

"No, thank God, they didn't subject her to that degradation." Janet said then looked him in the eyes. "Would it have made any difference to you if she had?"

 

"Of course not!" Jack lashed out as though he had been burned. "Not even that could change how I feel about her." he admitted quietly.

 

"Sorry, I had to ask." Janet replied softly then continued. "I have her on heavy doses of antibiotics as well as a nutrition supplement to help put some weight back on. Physically she'll be fine given lots of rest and TLC. Emotionally, well, I don't have to tell you about the repercussions of what she's been through." Janet stated quietly, referring to the time he had spent as a POW in Iraq.

 

"No you don't. Of all the people here I know exactly what she's going through and what to expect. Can I see her?"

 

"Sure, follow me." Janet said and led him into the infirmary. Jack stopped at the edge of the bed and his heart skipped a beat when he saw Sam. She was curled on her side, facing away from him and seemed so small and vulnerable in the big hospital bed. Janet moved around and stood beside Sam, resting a hand on her shoulder.

 

 

"Sam." she called quietly and the other woman stirred looking up at Fraser. "Jack's here to see you." she told her quietly.

 

"No, don't want him to see me, not like this." she mumbled in a soft childlike whisper.

 

 

Janet looked up and met his gaze. He gave her a nod and a gesture that said "let me handle this" Janet nodded and stepped away. She stopped just outside her office door and turned around to silently watch the exchange.

 

Jack moved to the bed next to Sam's and sat down. He quickly removed his boots then stood up and quietly let down the rail on Sam's bed. Lifting the covers, he slipped in beside her and being careful not to hurt her, wrapped his arms around her, pulling her back against him.

 

"Sammy." he whispered softly and pressed his lips to her ear. "Everything is okay now. You're safe and I'm here. No one's ever gonna hurt you ever again." he said as he tenderly brushed back her hair. "I love you no matter what." he added as he pressed a kiss to her temple.

 

Jack heard her quietly sob his name and she rolled towards him pressing her face to the soft material of his shirt. Her sobs grew in intensity, her body trembling with the release of her pent up sorrow and pain. Jack held her tightly and rested his cheek against the top of her head.

 

"That's it baby. " he soothed softly. "Let it out. Let it all go."

 

"Hold me tighter, Jack." she cried, voice muffled against his shirt. "Don't let go."

 

"Never." he vowed softly as he pulled her closer.

 

 

 

 

Jack held her, murmuring soft words of comfort until she fell asleep. It was several more minutes when he sensed the presence of another nearby. He looked up to see a nurse standing beside the bed.

 

"Sorry to disturb you, Colonel, but General Hammond wishes to see you in the briefing room."

 

"All right. Thank you Lieutenant." he told her and she gave him a nod before stepping away.

 

Jack gently disengaged himself from Sam and got up from the bed. He paused to tuck the covers in around her before dropping a kiss to her forehead. "Sweet dreams, Sammy." he murmured before stepping away and pulling on his boots.

 

 

 

 

 

"You wanted to see me, Sir?" Jack asked as he stepped into the conference room to find the General already waiting.

 

"Yes Colonel have a seat." he stated and indicated a chair. When Jack was seated, Hammond continued. "I have Doctor Fraser's report on Major Carter's condition." he began looking down at the open file folder before him. "What I want to know is did she say anything to you about who did this or why she came to be in that god awful place?"

 

"She did tell me who was responsible." Jack started, trying to keep his fury at bay. "When I asked her she told me it was Maybourne and that damned Tok'ra Martouf." he finished spitting out the name as though it were a filthy thing. "As to why she was there? I don't know."

 

 

"I think I can answer that." a strange voice put in that had both Jack and Hammond looking towards the door. A tall dark haired man in a dress uniform and Colonel's wings stepped into the room and approached the table.

 

"Colonel James Talbot, Military Intelligence." he stated crisply and gave Hammond a salute which Hammond returned.

 

"Colonel?" Hammond said and when the colonel was seated across from Jack he added.

 

"You have the answers we are looking for?"

 

"Most of them, yes. Now what I am about to tell you is highly classified and known only to a select few but given the circumstances I have been authorized to brief you on the situation.

 

For some time now we have suspected that a member of the SGC has been playing footsie with the Goa'uld and that there was also a spy in the Tok'ra. We didn't know who at first and everyone at SGC has been under heavy surveillance for several months. When we had our suspects narrowed down we needed someone on the inside to gather the proof we needed for a conviction. We needed someone whose position would get her close to both our suspect and the Tok'ra spy."

 

"Major Carter." Hammond stated quietly.

 

"Yes. Given her blending and her closeness to the Tok'ra she was the perfect choice to gather the proof we needed. She was on a covert mission for us when she disappeared."

 

"She never said anything to me." Jack muttered.

 

"Because she was under orders not to say anything to anyone. Most especially you, Colonel O'Neill."

 

"Why not tell me? I mean..." Jack replied sounding hurt then cut off when he realized he was revealing too much.

 

"Come now, Colonel O'Neill you may have been able to fool your colleagues here but we have had everyone here under surveillance for several months, so we know about your ongoing affair with Major Carter. We frankly don't care and neither does the President. As long as SG-1 continues to function as it has been we see no need to split you up." Talbot finished.

 

Hammond cleared his throat and shot Jack a glare. Jack gave him a sheepish grin and shrugged his shoulders.

 

"We'll talk about this later, Colonel O'Neill." Hammond stated

 

"Yes, Sir."

 

"Please carry on, Colonel Talbot."

 

"The day that Major Carter disappeared she contacted us to say that she had the proof we needed to convict Colonel Maybourne. She never arrived at the rendezvous point."

 

"And so you just gave up on her is that it, let her rot away in that stinking jail cell for three months!" Jack snapped.

 

"We didn't know where they were holding her or if she was even alive!" Talbot retorted. "All we could do was wait until they made a move or she got word to us. Which she did."

 

"Lucky for you." Jack muttered.

 

 

Hammond ignored Jack's comment and asked. "What happens now?"

 

"I want to speak with Major Carter. Once she has given me the information we need then Maybourne can be arrested for treason."

 

When Jack looked about to protest, Hammond shot him a glare and Jack immediately shut his mouth.

 

Suddenly an alarm rang throughout the base. "Incoming traveler. I repeat, incoming traveler."

 

 

Hammond and Jack immediately rose from the table and headed for the gate room with Talbot following behind.

 

"Is it an SG team?" Hammond asked the Lieutenant in the control booth.

 

"Negative, sir. It's the signal we gave to the Tok'ra."

 

"Open the iris." Hammond ordered.

 

 

 

Jacob Carter stepped out of the wormhole and paused a moment to look around before striding down the ramp to greet his friend.

 

"Hello George." Jake said as they shook hands. "I understand my daughter has been found?"

 

"Yes she's resting comfortably in the infirmary thanks to Colonel O'Neill." Hammond stated and looked at his officer.

 

Jake stepped from Hammond to stand in front of Jack and took his hand. "I can't thank you enough for bringing her back safely."

 

"There's no need to thank me, Sir." Jack replied softly.

 

Jake raised an eyebrow reading something in the Colonel's voice and his mannerisms. Maybe what Selmak had been hinting at for months was true? Perhaps the Colonel's feelings for Sam ran deeper than just a close friendship.

 

"You'd do anything for her." Jake stated quietly.

 

"I'd die for her." Jack said in almost a whisper. Jacob smiled and rested a hand on Jack's shoulder

 

"Do you love her?' Jacob asked in an equally quiet voice.

 

"More than my own life."

 

~Told you!~  Selmak gloated. ~Maybe next time you'll listen to me when I tell you these things~

 

~Ah stuff a sock in it you old battle axe.~ Jake countered playfully. "Well, Jack." Jacob started "I can't think of anyone I'd rather see my little girl with." he finished with a smile.

 

"Thank you, Sir."

 

"Jack, given the circumstances, why don't you call me dad."

 

 

 

"How is Samantha?"

 

 

Jack tensed at the sound of the voice and looked over Jake's shoulder to see Martouf standing behind Carter.

 

 

Jack stepped around Sam's father and at the sight of the Tok'ra his fury rose.

 

"Why you traitorous, no good, snake headed son of a bitch!!" Jack growled and was on the other man before anyone could react.

 

 

"Colonel O'Neill!!" Hammond barked and seconds later two airman pulled Jack away from the Tok'ra.

 

 

"What is the meaning of this outrage!?" Selmak demanded. "Why did you attack, Martouf?"

 

Jack shrugged off the restraining arms and faced Jacob. "Because that two faced bastard is responsible for what happened to Sam. He's your spy." Jack finished and pointed accusingly.

 

 

Jacob frowned and turned to face his companion. "Is this true? Did you really cause Samantha harm?" Selmak questioned "Are you the spy?"

 

"You would take the word of this Tau'ri, over mine?" Martouf spat out.

 

 

Jacob turned to face Jack and Selmak asked quietly. "Colonel O'Neill do you swear on your love for Jacob's daughter that what you have told me is true?"

 

Without faltering Jack replied. "Yes I do."

 

"That is enough." Selmak finished and turned back to Martouf.

 

"Why?" Selmak asked quietly, studying the man who had always been a friend and colleague.

 

"You're all such fools!" Lantesh raged. "You think you can defy Apophis, you think you can beat him, but you're wrong. The Tau'ri are such a pitiful race and we will not stop until we have destroyed every last one of you." Martouf/Lantesh turned to look at Jacob/Selmak

 

"And you're a fool to join with them."

 

"It was you," Selmak stated in a shocked voice "You killed Jolinar's host."

 

"She found out what I was and refused to join me. I couldn't let her tell anyone. I had to stop her but she transferred to a new host and escaped from me. I almost had her back until he came along" Lantesh stated fiercely and glared at Jack. "Samantha would have been mine, and once I have killed all of you she will be mine again."

 

"Never." Jack growled.

 

 

All through Lantesh's tirade no one noticed Teal'c as he slipped quietly into the room and moved up behind the Tok'ra.

 

 

"Prepare to die!" Lantesh growled and raised his hand, activating the ribbon weapon.

 

"I think not." Teal'c replied and his arm shot out wrapping around the man's neck pulling him into a tight choke hold. "I think that you will not be hurting anyone again." Teal'c finished and before anyone could react, snapped Martouf's neck. Stepping back, Teal'c let the now lifeless body slip to the floor and without a word strode from the gate room.

 

 

 

 

 

Jacob followed Jack into the infirmary and over to Sam's bed. Jack leaned down and pressed a gentle hand to Sam's shoulder. "Sam?" he called softly. "Wake up there's someone here to see you."

 

Sam's eyelids fluttered open and she gave him a small half smile. "Jack."

 

"Hey baby." he smiled "Your Dad's here."

 

"Daddy?"

 

"Hiya Sam." Jacob smiled and when Jack stepped aside sat on the bed beside his daughter. "Howya feelin'?"

 

"I'll be okay." Sam said quietly and gave him a half-hearted smile.

 

"I love you sweetie." he said softly.

 

"I love you too Daddy."

 

"Selmak wants to say hi." Jacob told her and when she nodded he let his symbiont speak.

 

"Samantha. I am sorry for all that you have been through, and more sorry that it was one of my own people."

 

"It's okay. It wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known; he was very convincing. I have to tell you that I suspect there is another spy among you. I'm not sure who." she said quietly.

 

"We will be careful." Selmak said "Thank you."

 

 

 

Once everyone had gone and Maybourne had been arrested, Jack went to Hammond's office before checking in on Sam.

 

"You wanted to see me, Sir." he said as he stepped into the General's office.

 

"Yes, Colonel. Have a seat." Hammond stated and indicated the chair in front of his desk.

 

Jack took it and shifted nervously under the older man's scrutiny

 

"Uhm, listen sir, if this is about Major Carter and myself, well...."

 

"Yes it is Colonel and I'm very disappointed in you..."

 

"I know sir, and..."

 

"I'm disappointed because you didn't feel you could trust me with this information. I look on you all as my children and had hoped you could tell me anything even this."

 

Jack was stunned. "But sir, the regs...."

 

"I know what the regulations say Colonel, but I also know that you both are part of the best team this base has and as long as that continues to be so I see no reason in splitting you up."

 

"Thank you, Sir." Jack smiled.

 

"You're welcome, but there will be some ground rules." Hammond said sternly.

 

"Sir?"

 

"I want your promise that while you both are on duty there will be no....extracurricular activities. Back here on the base, once you're behind the doors of your quarters I don't care what you do but when you go through that Stargate no hanky panky, got it?!"

 

"Yes, sir." Jack grinned

 

"All right then. Now go on get out of here. I've got work to do." Hammond smiled.

 

 

 

Jack strode into the infirmary and smiled when he saw that Sam was awake.

 

"Hey." he said as he moved to her side.

 

"Hi." Sam smiled up at him and shifted to make room for him beside her. Jack sat down and pulled her against his side. She wrapped her free hand around him and settled her head against his shoulder.

 

 

"Janet says I can go home in a few days." she told him in a quiet voice.

 

"That's great news." Jack replied and brushed his lips over her forehead.

 

"You know, all that time when I was in that horrible place and they were...." her voice trailed off and she shuddered.

 

"Hey you don't have to talk about this now." he said softly and tightened his embrace.

 

"Yes I do. All that time I thought about home. I wanted to go home and I realized that home isn't a building full of things that have no meaning. Home is here..." she said softly and pressed a hand to his heart. She lifted her head and looked into is eyes. "And no matter what happens to us in the future, no matter where we go or what we do, home for me will always be found here in your arms. All that time I wasn't dreaming about my house, or your house... I was dreaming about your arms and how they make me feel. They make me feel safe and keep me warm. They chase away my monsters and soothe me, take away my pain and fill my life with passion and wonder. I've finally found my home, Jack.. I found it when I found you." she finished in a soft teary whisper.

 

 

"Me too." Jack whispered softly as he pulled her close and his lips captured hers in a tender kiss.

 

 

 

FIN :o)

 

 

"Home is wherever you happen to be."

 

-Chakotay; Star Trek Voyager

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: Gekko, Double Secret and MGM own it all. I am merely a lowly fan who is playing in the SG-1 sandbox and will return all, including pails and shovels when I am done. The lyrics to "Feels Like Home" belong to Dianne Warren and is sung by LeAnn Rimes