- Text Size +

Title: "P" is for Puppy

Author: Rita (dittypiddler)

Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King belong to Shoot the Moon Productions and Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.

Notes: Despite the setting of this dittylet, do NOT buy a puppy from a pet store. Do your homework. Visit www.akc.org to find information on the correct way to buy a puppy and pick the best dog to fit your lifestyle.

Thanks to Miriam and the MEAP Team for the beta.

Summary: Lee and man’s best friend. Beginning of the "Scooter" series.

Rating: G

Feedback: Always

 

"P" is for Puppy

 

He had always wanted a puppy. Lee smiled at the frisky little bundle of fur in the pet shop window.

This dog was a bit bigger than the pups Dad had taken him to see at Timmy Carter's house. When he begged to take one home, Dad laughed and said they were too young to leave their mother, but he promised to talk to Mom. After she agreed, Lee visited the puppies every day. He picked the one he wanted--the one that always wiggled and wagged its tail when Lee came into sight--and named it "Scooter." But before he could bring Scooter home . . . Well, after the accident, a dog would’ve been one more thing he had to leave behind, anyway.

He certainly couldn't have brought a puppy to the countless Air Force bases. When he was eight years old, he’d mustered all his courage and asked his uncle if he could have a dog. The response had been loud and long--a lecture about responsibility, practicality, inconvenience, and a dozen other things. Lee hadn’t understood half of it. He’d never asked again.

He tapped on the window. In response, the pup jumped up and licked the glass. It was a male--light gold with expressive dark eyes, just like Amanda’s. Lee chuckled. What would his wife think about being compared to a dog?

The puppy obviously considered it a compliment. It did a little happy dance and then chased its tail.

A boy needed a dog. Phillip and Jamie should have a dog. There was really no excuse not to have a dog.

The puppy shook its head and flapped its floppy ears, as if in total agreement. It sat and scrutinized him, apparently awaiting his decision.

They had plenty of room on the farm. You could go for long walks with a dog. It would be a good jogging companion, too.

As if to demonstrate the logic of this reasoning, the puppy raced around its small enclosure.

Dogs were good alarm systems. The family would always know if there were intruders anywhere on the grounds. The alarm inside the house couldn’t detect outside noises. But a dog could hear the slightest sound and would bark.

The puppy burst into frenzied yapping and jumped on the glass, wagging its tail furiously.

Lee placed his palm on the window, and the puppy polished the glass with its tongue. It met his eyes and cocked its head, as if to ask, "What are you waiting for? I’m adorable."

Amanda would kill him. But the old Stetson charm would bring her around. Eventually. He entered the pet store and approached the lady behind the counter.

"May I help you, sir?"

"Yes. How much is that doggie in the window?"

 

The End