- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: To Carrie and Jan for making this story a lot better than first written. Also, thanks to Carrie for the title.

Note: This story is part of my series of five-second meetings and is a prequel to Jennifer’s story, ‘The Streak.’
Wildflowers, Raspberries and Bare Butts

Summer 1952

Dotty sat on the porch swing of the cabin, gently gliding back and forth. Last night, Carl had told her that he didn’t know how much longer he could continue to work at his present job. Mr. McGivver, the owner, constantly ranted at the employees, finding fault with everything they did. Carl had reached the point where he hated getting up in the mornings and going to the office. And he suspected all the stress was causing the terrible headaches he’d been getting lately.

Carl had also told her that he intended to apply for a position as an auditor with the IRS. He thought a government job would offer stability, not to mention the exceptional benefits he’d receive. Unfortunately, the background check could take several weeks. If he quit his present job, there may be a period of time where they would have no income and they’d need to tighten their belts.

After his announcement the previous day she hadn’t been able to think clearly. Her mind had been filled with images of them losing their home. Now that she’d slept on it, she realized he would do everything he could to make the transition as smooth as possible. A man needed to be satisfied not only at home, but also in his work. If a change of employment would make her husband happy, then she would support him one hundred percent.

She gazed out over the lake, taking in all the beauty and serenity the view had to offer. Sunlight glistened over the water making it sparkle like diamonds. Mountains rose majestically into the crystal blue sky. One side of the lake had a sandy beach area, perfect for soaking up the sun’s rays and going swimming. Canoes and fishing boats at a dock floated on the water waiting to be used. A children’s play area with swings, slides and other playground equipment had been set up. Hiking trails encircled around the lake and led up the mountains to where lookout points gave a spectacular view of the splendor below.

Rustic logs cabins spaced far enough apart for a bit of privacy dotted the area around the lake. Each had a swing on the porch, along with a picnic table and barbeque in the little front yard. Inside there was a kitchenette, small living area, bedroom and a bathroom. Some had two or three bedrooms for larger families.

Thankfully, they’d opted for the cheaper one bedroom and that had been at half price, because this would be the last extravagant expense they would make for a while. She could tighten her belt; she’d pinched pennies before, and she could pinch them again. They would survive. They had love on their side and love conquered all.

Resolved to the possibility of future financial hardship, she went inside the cabin. Earlier, Carl had taken Amanda to pick summer wildflowers that bloomed in the fields around the lake thereby giving her time to think things through. Bless him, he knew her so well. He knew she needed to reason it out by herself, to weigh the pros and cons of the situation.

Thinking of saving money, she grabbed a basket and headed out the door. When they arrived yesterday afternoon she’d noticed wild raspberries growing in abundance in several areas.

As she hiked to one of the places where the fruit grew, she saw several people picking the plump berries. Dotty began to pluck the juicy fruit from their stems and soon her basket was half full. She couldn’t resist the temptation and popped one of the berries into her mouth. As she bit into it her taste buds exploded from the sweet and tart juice. She hoped to pick enough this weekend to make raspberry jam and maybe a cobbler or pie, too.

In no time her basket brimmed with the succulent red berries. Heading back to the cabin, she saw Carl in the distance with Amanda toddling along beside him. She smiled as she watched her daughter stop every few steps to pick a flower and place it in the basket her father held for her.

It didn’t take long for her to catch up with them. “Look what I picked.” Dotty held out her basket to show her husband.

Carl’s eyes gleamed and he smacked his lips. “Do I see raspberry jam in my future?”

“Perhaps. Maybe more if you’re lucky.” Dotty winked. “That is, if you help me pick more. Lots more.”

“Of course, anything for you my love. Does this mean you’re okay with my decision now?”

“We’ll manage. Do what you have to do.” Dotty kissed his cheek.

“Mama.”

Dotty looked down at her daughter who held a blue forget-me-not out to her. “Oh, is that for me? How pretty.” She took the flower from her daughter. “Thank you, sweetheart.”

“She’s picked a whole bushel for you.” Carl held up the basket brimming with flowers and from what Dotty could see, some weeds too.

“Ready to go back for lunch and then a swim?”

“Swim.” Amanda clapped her hands.

“Lunch first, Panda.” Carl handed Dotty the flowers, then lifted his daughter over his head and settled her onto his shoulders, holding her little legs firmly as the family made their way back to their cabin.

After lunch, Dotty dressed Amanda in a little two-piece red and checkered bathing suit and tied the matching sunbonnet. “All done.” She tweaked Amanda’s nose, then took her by the hand, leading her into the living room. “She’s all ready.”

“I’ve got her bucket, shovel and towels. Come with daddy, Panda.” He took her hand in his.

“I’ll be down as soon as I change and get this mop of hair looking presentable. It’s all tangled from berry picking.” She pulled off the scarf that she’d used to hide her hair.

“You look beautiful to me.” He kissed her lips lightly.

Half an hour later Dotty grabbed another towel, placing it over her arm. On her way out the door she spotted the camera, she hesitated a moment. What the heck, you never knew when a great shot would be in front of you, so she grabbed it too.

As she walked toward the beach, she scanned the swimmers looking for her husband and daughter. She didn’t see them. Where in the world could they be? Then to her right she caught a flash of hurried movement.

Weaving between people sunbathing on chaise lounges and other children playing in the sand was a little girl running bare assed naked and laughing hysterically. A man chased the child who evaded his attempt at capture.

Dotty chuckled at the sight. Suddenly she realized that the child was her very own daughter and the man was her husband. She’d warned Carl repeatedly that Amanda had gotten into the habit of taking off her clothes in the blink of an eye. A phase she prayed her daughter would soon grow out of. It had all started one evening when Dotty had been giving her a bath. She’d taken her out of the tub and had been drying her off. Something had caught her attention and she’d turned her head for a moment, when she looked back at her daughter had vanished. “There’s a naked baby running around the house.” Carl had laughed. Dotty had followed the sounds of laughter to the living room where she smiled to see her imp of a child running around the couch, giggling up a storm. Ever since then Amanda had taken every opportunity she could to take off her clothes. They really needed to stop laughing when she did it.

Seeing that Carl had no luck in catching his nude daughter, Dotty moved to try to head her off. Then another toddler’s little bare butt ran past her to join Amanda. Dotty couldn’t help but notice it was little boy. He tackled Amanda into the sand.

Dotty’s hand flew to her mouth. Oh dear, she hoped Amanda hadn’t been hurt. But with the resilience of youth, Amanda rose from the sand and grabbed his hand. Then the two of them wandered to the shore splashing their feet in the water. Dotty didn’t worry as she saw Carl close by together with another man who’d come up to stand next to him. Both were laughing.

At that moment Dotty remembered she had her camera with her. Quickly she snapped several pictures of the two children frolicking naked as the day they were born. Her luck at taking pictures wasn’t great and she hoped at least one of them came out.

Spying Amanda’s swimsuit in the sand, she picked it up and went to join her husband and daughter. As she arrived, the man took his son by the hand and led him off toward a woman who held bathing trunks in her hand.

“Maybe the children can play together again, this time with their clothes on.” Dotty took Amanda by the hand to lead her to a chaise lounge.

“No, they’re leaving later this afternoon.”

Dotty began to clothe her daughter, and this time she hoped the swimsuit would stay on. As she tied Amanda’s sunbonnet under her chin again, Dotty noticed a flash of naked skin running back down to the water.

“Lee, you little rascal, get back here,” the woman yelled as she chased her son.

The End