- Text Size +

May 1976

         Amanda packed her husband’s suitcase again. It seems like she was always packing his suitcase. “How long are you going to be gone this time?”

          When Joe got the promotion at the EAO in January, he had said it was going to require travel around the country to check on suppliers and work through the legal deadweight to get the food, personnel and medical supplies to the countries that needed them. What he didn’t say or didn’t know that he was going to travel almost every week.

          “Three, maybe four days. I’m sorry, Sweetheart. I know I said I would be home this week but it just didn’t work out that way.”

          “I understand. It’s hard to be without you so often.” Amanda tried to smile.

          “Why don’t you plan on something special for when I get home? We always seem to enjoy the...uh…welcome home activities.” Joe stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her. “It won’t be forever, Amanda. Don’t worry, it will get better.”

          “I just miss you.” She hated the slight whine in her voice.

          “I miss you too. You knew this new job was going to include travel.”

          Her voice firmed up. “Occasional travel, yes. But you are gone more than you are home. You are missing all of Jamie’s milestones the way you missed Phillip’s.”

          Joe’s voice took on a defensive note. “What do you mean? I was home for Phillip. I never left before this job.”

          She took his hands and looked into his eyes. “You weren’t home, Joe. You were so caught up in school and work that you missed so many things. I don’t want you to miss Jamie’s life either.”

          “This is not the time to talk about it.” Joe pulled his hands away.

          “Then when is the time? You’re away so much.”

          “When I get home, we’ll talk about it. We’ll ask you mother to baby sit and we’ll go out. Just the two of us.” He reached out to rub her arms. “I know you’re lonely, Amanda. I’m sorry.” He picked up his suitcase and walked downstairs.

She heard a car horn and saw Joe leave the house with his suitcase. “Oh Joe,” she whispered, tears beginning to well in her eyes, “you don’t really know anything.”