- Text Size +

March 1973

         “May I please see my mother?” Amanda asked for the third time.

          “Dearie,” the nurse said. “I don’t think she should be in here. This baby is on its way.”

          Amanda was panting hard and in pain. “Please. I don’t even know if my husband is here yet.”

          “Well, alright, she can come in for a few minutes.”

          Amanda watched as her mother came rushing in. “Oh Amanda, how are you doing?”

Amanda grabbed her hand. “I need to see Joe, Mother. Is he here yet?”

“No, not yet. He left the office and went to school. I called your friend Julie and she said she would go to his class and get him.”

“Oh Mother, what if he doesn’t make it? Ahhhh!” A huge labor pain struck Amanda.

“Oh Darling. I’ll stay here until he comes.”

The nurse reappeared and looked at Amanda. “Dr. Gracien is here and is scrubbing up. Your husband is here and waiting down the hall.”

“I…need…to…see…him.” Amanda panted.

“No going, dearie. This baby is coming soon.” The nurse looked at her mother. “You need to leave. We’re moving her to the delivery room.”

“Ahhh!” Amanda screamed. “Please, Mother, tell Joe I love him.”

“I will.” Her mother voice was cut off by the doors as she was wheeled down the hall and into the delivery room.

An anesthetist was waiting for her. “Mrs. King? I want you to take some deep breaths.”

“I don’t want to be unconscious.” Amanda stated.

“Not unconscious, just unaware for a little bit. This is twilight sleep.”

Dr. Gracien walked into the delivery room. “Amanda, are you ready? It’s time this baby was born.”

Amanda took several deep breaths from the mask put over her face and the next thing she heard was the doctor saying. “Amanda, IT’S A BOY!”

Her son was whisked away from her and put in a basinet for his check and a wash. Amanda faded into semi-consciousness again.

When she regained full consciousness she was in a room with flowers surrounding her. Joe was sitting next to her holding her hand. “Have you seen him?” She managed to whisper.

“Not yet. They were waiting for you to wake up.” Joe answered, sitting on bed. “I love you, Amanda.”

She tried to sit up for a kiss but he pushed her down and leaned down towards her. “I love you too, Joe.”

Joe stood up. “Let me tell them you are awake. I’m sure they’re ready to bring in little Phillip.” Joe stroked her dark hair as she leaned into him.

She moved the head of her bed up so that she was sitting up. A few minutes later a basinet was wheeled into her room and a nurse put her son into her arms. “He’s beautiful.”

“So is his mother.” Joe said leaning in again.

“I think he’s hungry” Amanda said looking at the nurse.

“Just tuck him in so his mouth is touching your nipple. He will latch on.”

“Oof!” Amanda said as he started suckling. “He’s strong.”

Joe chuckled “That’s my boy.”

Amanda stroked the cheek of her son as he ate. “I can’t believe he’s here.”

“I know.”

They watched him in wonder as Amanda fed him. When he was done the nurse showed her how to burp him.

Amanda looked up and smiled. “We better let the families in to see the new addition before they break the door down.”

Amanda’s mother and Joe’s parents gushed over the baby and lightly argued about who the baby looked like. Soon both mother and son began to drift away. The nurse reclaimed Phillip.

As Amanda drifted off to sleep she heard her mother whisper, “Where were you today? Julie said she told you about Amanda.”

Joe replied. “I needed to go to the law library for a few minutes. There was nothing I could do here. I got here before he was born.”

Amanda felt a little cold as she drifted off to sleep.