- Text Size +

July 1972

          “C’mon, Amanda. We’re going to be late.”

          Amanda came out of the bathroom of their tiny apartment wiping her mouth. “I’m sorry, Sweetheart. I just can’t seem to kick this bug.”

          “You were fine last night.” Joe checked his watch. “I have to get to the EPA.”

          “Joe, did I tell you that Congressman Gaines put me on the team for a policy speech?”

          “That’s great.” He took her hand. “Okay, let’s go.”

          They walked down to their car, an orange Pinto. Joe talked about his internship at the EPA. Amanda listened while waiting for her stomach to stop pitching. She couldn’t imagine what was wrong with her. Maybe the HEAT was getting to her. It had been really hot this month. Maybe it was nerves. Her job with Congressman Gaines as a dogsbody/speech writer/part time secretary was interesting, but she never knew what she would be doing from day to day. She liked stability.

          “…landmark legislation. It will really help keep the water safer for everyone. Amanda, are you listening to me?” Joe’s sharp voice cut through her thoughts.

          “Of course.” Amanda took his hand.

          Joe pulled the car up to the front of the Capital.  “You’re here.”  Joe said kissing her firmly. “I enjoyed last night.”

          Amanda blushed slightly. “So did I.”

          “I’ll pick up you up at five.”

          “I’ll be waiting.”

          Her day went a well as could be expected. Eventually her stomach settled down. Although the congressman’s Chief of Staff’s cologne almost made her vomit again. She just breathed through the discomfort and the nausea passed.

          Over lunch, she thought about her marriage. She was very happy with Joe. They had been married almost a month and everything was good. Joe loved his internship with the EPA. It was wonderful of Congressman Gaines to put in a good word for him with the agency. ‘I really think Joe is finding his niche.’ What was better was that he would be able to work part time once law school started. ‘I think Joe is really happy when helping people.’

          When five o’clock rolled around, Amanda was waiting in her usual spot for Joe to pick her up. She sat down on the steps and watched the people around her. She was lucky to be a part of the flow of government. What she was doing was nothing compared to Joe was doing, but her salary helped with expenses and saving for when Joe wouldn’t be working full time. They were supposed to go to Dooley’s tonight to meet up with some of their friends. Amanda had been looking forward to it all day.

          She checked her watch. It was 5:30 and no sign of Joe. She wondered if she should go back to the office to see if there was a message for her. Maybe she should just call him. A sudden fatigue settled over her body and the thought of climbing all those steps again made her decide to wait right where she was. She brought a book out of her bag and started to read.

          “Amanda?” She looked up to see Sue, another staffer in the office, looking at her. “What are you still doing here? I thought you left half an hour ago.”

          “I was supposed to, but something must have kept Joe late.”

          “Let’s go back inside out of the heat. I’ll wait with you.”

          “I’m suddenly really tired. I think I’ll just wait here.”

          Sitting down next to her, Sue looked intently at her. “Amanda, you said you were sick this morning, you nearly threw up when Greg showed up with that horrible cologne, and you’re really tired. Is there a chance you could be pregnant?”

          Amanda dropped her book. “P-p-p-pregnant?” She stammered. “No, I don’t think….oh my gosh, I’m late. With the wedding, honeymoon, settling in and moving into a new apartment, I didn’t even think about it.”

          Sue smiled. “I think you should make an appointment to see your doctor.”

          “I think you’re right. I better.”

          When Joe pulled of fifteen minutes later, she got in the car and gave him a big smile and a bigger kiss. “Well, you must have had a good day.” Joe kissed her soundly a second time. “I’m sorry I was late. I had a meeting with my boss about going part time.”

          “That’s fine, Sweetheart. I was in good company.”

          The next week went by in a blur for Amanda. Between seeing her doctor during her lunch to getting the blood test and the results, she hadn’t had much time to process her thoughts. When her doctor called her with the results, she was overjoyed. It was positive. She was going to be a mother. Floating through her days, she thought long and hard about how to tell Joe about the baby. Finally, she decided to make him a special dinner. Taking the afternoon off from the office gave her time to plan her announcement and make Joe’s favorite dinner, roast chicken, potatoes au gratin, and asparagus. It was a little more extravagant than they usually had, but this was a special occasion. A small giggle escaped as she put the chicken into the oven. Once again, she gently touched her stomach; a new habit she had formed over the past few days.  Her doctor told her that she was a month along. Amanda figured she must have gotten pregnant on their honeymoon maybe even their wedding night.

          The table was set. There were fresh linens on the table as well as on the bed. The food would be ready on time. All she needed now was her husband. There was a small flutter of concern when she thought about how Joe would take the news of the baby. They both wanted children and they hadn’t done anything to prevent having a baby immediately. Joe was so busy and was just going to get busier when he started school.

          She heard the door to the apartment open. “Sweetheart, I’m home.” Smiling she walked out of the kitchen and into his arms. “Are you okay?” He asked. “Still not feeling well?”

          “Oh I’m fine. I wanted to make a special dinner for you.”

          “Special? Why?”

          Taking his hand, she led him to the sofa. She bit her lip. “Joe, I think you are going to have to sit down for this.”

          Joe sat down slowly. “What’s wrong?”

          She sat down next to him and took his hand, placing it on her stomach. "Nothing is wrong. Everything is pretty terrific. We’re going to have a baby!”

          Amanda looked at Joe sitting stunned on the couch. “A baby? How?”

          “I think you know how.”  Amanda added dryly.

          He looked at her. “How could you have gotten pregnant so fast?”

          Amanda began to feel defensive. “It does take two to make a baby, Joe. You were there as well.” She paused, gathering her strength. “You’re not happy?

Joe seemed to shake off his surprise. “Of course, I’m happy. This is great news. Who do you want to tell first?”

“Let’s wait until after dinner.” Amanda stood and pulled him up with her. “I made all your favorites.”

They told Amanda’s mother first then Joe’s parents, after which he took her to bed and made love to her like she was spun glass. Amanda fell asleep snuggled in his arms, thinking that life couldn’t get any better than this.