- Text Size +

June 1972

Looking at the full length mirror in her bedroom, Amanda smoothed her hands down her wedding dress.  ‘I’m ready’, she thought to herself twisting nervously to see all the angles in the mirror. The Grecian style silk dress flowed over her legs as she plucked at the delicate lace caplet over her chest. She looked up to see her mother watching her from the door.

“You look beautiful, Darling.” Her mother told her,walking into the room. “I can’t believe my little girl is all grown up.”

“Oh Mother. I can’t believe I’m getting married today. I just wish you hadn’t gone to all the trouble.”

“Nonsense, Darling. Your father would be rolling in his grave if you didn’t have this wedding.” There was a catch in her mother’s voice. “He loved you so much Amanda. He was so proud of you.” Amanda saw tears floating in her mother’s eyes.

Amanda reached over and took the handkerchief which had been clutched in her mother’s hands. “Don’t cry. You’ll undo all of Mr. Andre’s work. I love you, Mother, very much.”

Her mother reached out and hugged Amanda close. “I love you too.” She took the handkerchief from Amanda and dabbed her eyes as well. “I’m going to miss my Panda. Now that you and Joe are moving into an apartment, I have to rattle around this house all by myself.”

Amanda broke the embrace and looked at her mother. “You know we’ll be close.”

“I know. I’m so happy for you. Joe is a wonderful man.” Dotty adjusted the lace shawl on Amanda’s dress. “And he loves you so much.”

Amanda smiled and hugged her mother one more time. Dotty looked at the time. “Oh, I have to check with Uncle Herman about the limo to the church. Also, I need to make sure your Aunt Lillian’s dress fits. She should have had a fitting before she got down here. You stay right here. No one should see the bride before we leave. The bridesmaids should be at the church already. We will be leaving in about 20 minutes.”

          “Yes, Mother.” Amanda smiled as her mother left the room a whirlwind of energy and determination.

In a couple of hours she would be married. She wouldn’t be Amanda West anymore. She looked down at the RING her father gave her. She twirled it around her finger then moved to her engagement ring. Both rings represented her past and her future.

Her thoughts moved to her immediate future.   She thought for a moment about what her wedding night and honeymoon might be like. If she was truthful, she was nervous about it. She and Joe had never had sex before. They had engaged in some heavy petting but she hadn’t been able go all the way. It just didn’t seem right before her marriage. She was never sure what was holding her back. Most of her friends had had sex with their boyfriends or fiancés.  She loved Joe and tonight she would show him just how much she did. Julie, her maid of honor, had taken her to a store and helped her picked out a negligee for their honeymoon. She could just imagine what Joe’s reaction would be when he saw her in it. She couldn’t wait to feel his hands…

“Amanda,” her mother’s voice broke into her thoughts, “Come on, Darling. It’s time to go.”

Amanda blew out a breath and suddenly was very anxious for the wedding to be over.