- Text Size +

June 1986

         “It took a while to work out the divorce with all of Joe’s traveling. But, as we finalized the divorce, I found out that Joe had put the house in my name alone when he started being stationed overseas for longer periods of time, also that it had been paid off. I gave him as much visitation as he wanted as long as it was in this country. You already know that I never took alimony only child support. I guess I didn’t want to be beholden to anyone. Mother decided to stay and help me out.” She shrugged her shoulders. “You know the rest of the story.” Amanda pulled another weed from the garden and looked over as Lee planted another Begonia in the garden under the kitchen window. “Joe is really a great guy and we’re really nothing but good friends right now.”

          Lee came over to her and knelt beside her. “Thank you for talking to me. It must have been difficult.”

          “It was. I failed Joe in a lot of ways.”

          Lee kissed her softly and pulled her into his arms. “I don’t see it that way. I only see that you both grew in different directions.” He kissed her again this time on the nose. “I’m just glad you grew in my direction.”

          She stroked his cheek. “Thank you. Sometimes, I need to hear that from an objective point of view.”

          “Well,” he said, caressing her arm, “I’m hardly objective. I think I’d like it better if you didn’t like him so much.”

          Amanda smiled. “I bet. Is that jealousy I see in your eyes, Stetson?”

          He lifted his head and looked down at her. “Maybe a little.” He looked at his watch. “Our reservations are for six. We need to get ready.”

          She stood up and brushed the dirt off of her hands. “Okay, you can use the shower downstairs and I’ll go upstairs.”

          “Fine.” They headed into the house.

          “I’ll just check the mail first.” Amanda called. As she opened the door she noticed a flower arrangement sitting on the door step. She smiled. “Lee.” She said softly as she picked up the arrangement. Looking it over she called, “Lee, did you do this?”

          Lee walked out of the bathroom shirtless. “Do what?”

          “This arrangement.” She asked showing him.

          He looked over the arrangement and plucked out the card, “No. Is there someone I need to be concerned with? Do you have another boyfriend somewhere?”

          She laughed. “Of course not.” She leaned over to kiss him and took the card from his hand. As she opened it, she recognized the handwriting.

          Happy Anniversary, Amanda. You were right. I still remember all the good times we had.  I hope you find all the love and happiness you deserve. Joe.

          Lee took her in his arms as she said, “See, he really is just a friend. Come on, let’s get ready to go.”

          Feeling lighter for having shared with Lee, she left the flowers and the card on the counter with her memories of the good times.