- Text Size +

June 1980

          “Amanda, you can’t be serious?” Joe’s voice came over the phone.

          “I am. I still don’t think it is a good idea for the family to move.” She put her head in her hand as tried to push back the headache that was threatening to overtake her.

          Amanda heard Joe adopt his reasonable tone of voice through the poor connection. “Phillip and Jamie are older. They can handle it. Your mother can live in the house until we get back.”

          “I will not uproot the boys from the only home they have known and take them to Estoccia.” There was an unaccustomed sharpness in her voice.

          “Amanda…”

          “No. That’s final.” Her head was about to explode.

          “Nothing’s final yet.” She could hear the anger in his voice. ‘You’re being unreasonable.”

          “Has the famine gotten any better? Is the country any safer?” She asked pointedly.

          “We’re making progress.” Joe’s voice was now defensive. “You know they are my sons too. They should be able to spend time with me here.”

          “Yes, they can spend time with you when you’re here. This is your home and I am your wife, in case you have forgotten.”

          “I haven’t forgotten anything.”

          “Really, what was last week, Joe? I tried to get hold of you but couldn’t.”  Silence answered her question. “I thought so.” She said quietly.

          “I’m sorry, Sweetheart. I got so bogged down in an international shipment that it slipped my mind.” He explained. “Happy belated Anniversary.”

“You too.” Her voice was flat.

“Can I talk to the boys?”

She let out a sigh. “It is the middle of the morning here. They’re at school.”

“I’ll call back in a few days then. I love you.”

She paused, the words reluctantly coming to her lips. “I love you too.”