- Text Size +

February 1978

          Wiping down the countertops in the kitchen, Amanda sighed. Joe was gone again. This time it was for four months. He was stationed to the country of Estoccia for the foreseeable future. One of Joe’s coworkers told her at the EAO Christmas party that Joe had been requested by the new Prime Minister. Pride waged with disappointment in Amanda when she realized that this meant that Joe would have to be absent from home even more. Although she hated to admit it, but she was almost relieved when Joe left. They seemed to pick at each other the entire time he was home. Joe didn’t like the way the boys behaved, or the way she did something. She didn’t like that he was making all the decisions without consulting her. She didn’t like to think about it. It seemed she couldn’t find her balance almost as if her world was tilted.

          The one nice thing about his sojourn home was that he got to really spend time with Phillip and Jamie. The boys loved having him home. Jamie was especially fascinated by his father.  He would hang on to Joe whenever he could. Jamie wanted Joe to put him to bed or give him a bath. Joe really seemed to enjoy the time with the boys and got closer to them. The boys weren’t the problem. She was. Something had to change.

          A knock on the front door broke her out of her reverie. “Mrs. King?” The delivery man asked as she opened the door.

          “Yes?”

          “Delivery for you ma’am.” He handed over a huge flower arrangement in a crystal vase. “Have a nice day.”

          “Thank you.” Amanda managed to find her voice as she closed the door.

          She took the flowers into the kitchen and placed them on the counter. A card peeked out around the roses and lilies. Tears began to fill her eyes as she recognized Joe’s handwriting.

          Happy Valentine’s Day to my wonderful wife. I know it is difficult to be apart so much. It’s your strength and love that keeps me going. No matter where I am, you are always home to me.  I love you. I miss you. Joe.

          A wave of love filled her. Joe thought of her today. He did still love her and he missed her. She knew that she still loved him and missed him as well. The boys adored him. Her world straightened back up. Everything would work out. It had to.