- Text Size +
~~~SMK~~~

She slowly climbed the stairs to the Q Bureau, one hand holding the railing, the
other resting protectively on her stomach. The further along in her pregnancy
the more exhausting the trip from the bullpen to her office became. She didn't
know how much longer she'd be able to make the trip from the second floor to
Billy's underground office. Maybe, for the next few months, she should just move
her desk back down to the bullpen. She'd discuss it with her husband once he
returned from his latest assignment.

After entering the second floor vestibule, she heard Lee's voice. He returned
early from his MISSION and judging by the tone and increasing volume of his
voice, it didn't go well.

Upon entering the office, she spotted Lee. He stood looking out the window. His
right hand plowed through his hair making it stand on end; a sure sign of his
frustration.
"I swear Billy, if you make me work with that pitiful excuse of an agent again;
I'm going to use my cyanide capsule."

He clutched the phone in his right hand tight enough to make his knuckles white,
and the muscle in his jaw twitched while he listened to their section chief.
"Did you know Beaman requisitioned an exploding ATTACHE CASE from Leatherneck?
He nearly blew the whole set up by insisting on wearing a different DISGUISE
every day."

He picked up a pencil off his desk. "I'm telling you, the man is INEPT at
undercover work. Think Inspector Clouseau not JAMES BOND."

She heard the sharp snap of the pencil, and then walked over to her husband.
Once she pried the broken pieces of wood from his fingers, she rested his hand
on their unborn child, allowing him to feel the baby's movements. She smiled at
him and could see his anger and frustration slowly fading.

He lowered his voice to a normal level. "You ordered me to rate him for field
ops. Well, I'm telling you, it's my professional opinion, Beaman should stay out
of the field. Yeah, I'll write it up and get it to you before the staff meeting
in the morning. Right now, I'm taking my wife home."

He hung up the phone, then wrapped his arms around her, tugging her as closely
as her belly would allow. After a long kiss hello, he pulled away. "Come on,
let's get out of here."

End