- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Wicky Monthly Writing Challenge

May 2012

Theme:  Lost friends

Prompt Line:  He/She made such an impression

Words:  Mission, Disguise, Attaché case, James Bond, Inept Thank you Cheryl and Carrie for beta-ing my story. Any mistakes are solely mine.
 

She slowly climbed the stairs to the Q Bureau, one hand holding the railing, the other resting protectively on her stomach. The further along in her pregnancy the more exhausting the trip from the bullpen to her office became. She didn't know how much longer she'd be able to make the trip from the second floor to Billy's underground office. Maybe, for the next few months, she should just move her desk back down to the bullpen. She'd discuss it with her husband once he returned from his latest assignment.

 

After entering the second floor vestibule, she heard Lee's voice. He returned early from his MISSION and judging by the tone and increasing volume of his voice, it didn't go well.

 

Upon entering the office, she spotted Lee. He stood looking out the window. His right hand plowed through his hair making it stand on end; a sure sign of his frustration.

 "I swear Billy, if you make me work with that pitiful excuse of an agent again; I'm going to use my cyanide capsule."

 

He clutched the phone in his right hand tight enough to make his knuckles white, and the muscle in his jaw twitched while he listened to their section chief. "Did you know Beaman requisitioned an exploding ATTACHE CASE from Leatherneck? He nearly blew the whole set up by insisting on wearing a different DISGUISE every day."

He picked up a pencil off his desk. "I'm telling you, the man is INEPT at undercover work. Think Inspector Clouseau not JAMES BOND."

 

She heard the sharp snap of the pencil, and then walked over to her husband. Once she pried the broken pieces of wood from his fingers, she rested his hand on their unborn child, allowing him to feel the baby's movements. She smiled at him and could see his anger and frustration slowly fading.

 

He lowered his voice to a normal level. "You ordered me to rate him for field ops. Well, I'm telling you, it's my professional opinion, Beaman should stay out of the field. Yeah, I'll write it up and get it to you before the staff meeting in the morning. Right now, I'm taking my wife home."

 

He hung up the phone, then wrapped his arms around her, tugging her as closely as her belly would allow. After a long kiss hello, he pulled away. "Come on, let's get out of here."

 

End