- Text Size +
Story Notes:
April 2012

Theme: Military

Prompt Line: “There’s one under the couch, and another under the bed.”

Words: basket, chocolate, bunny, peep/s, parade

Note: You can use either peep or peeps as one of the words.
Fighting the Good Fight

This is my April challenge response. Considering I'm just about
keeping my head above water with getting ready for Passover, this is all
I'm going to be able to come up with this month. Amy did a very
quick beta for me, but I really knocked this together fast, so there are
probably lots of errors.

I used the military theme, and the line.

oo000oo

Slowly, he edged to the corner of the wall, his grey face tight with
concentration. There was movement to the right and left but the
immediate area was clear of bandits. He glanced back at his compatriots
and muttered in an undertone, "THERE'S ONE UNDER THE COUCH, AND
ANOTHER UNDER THE BED." His words barely made their way around his
over-sized front teeth.

He silently signaled for one of his team to follow him to the bed, and
for the other two to hit the couch. After easing the safety off his
M16, he rolled out from their hiding place behind the bookcase. Behind
him he heard his friends roll out into the open. For a moment his gaze
caught the grey blur that was the other half of his team as they made
for the main seating area. Forcing his mind back to the job at hand, he
edged along the wall until he was level with one of the legs of the bed.
With a quick gesture to his partner he watched his trusted second tumble
to hide behind the strut of the bed before he rolled to a crouch behind
the other leg.

A burst of gun fire exploded from the other side of the large room
which, in turn, loosened the tongue of the chittering creature under the
bed. As one, he and his team mate turned and aimed under the bed,
firing into the grey fuzz of the enemy dust bunny. Fluff flew out from
the darkness and rained down on them.

At the pre-arranged rendezvous by the window sill, he turned to his
comrades in arms and grinned his toothy smile. "Okay, that's
this lot done for another year. Let's move out before the human
gets back and mistakes us for the enemy."

As one, they squeezed through the tiny opening in the window and the
four dust bunny avengers floated away on the wind, off to fight the good
fight against cat hair and construction dust in other locations.

"Jan, turn off the alarm."

I reached out, switched off Eric Clapton's Layla, and rolled over to
face my husband. "Ugh...morning. I had the weirdest dream. All
the Passover cleaning must be playing on my mind."

He leaned in and kissed me gently. "Good morning. Not surprising
you're dreaming about it all, you've been so busy. What's
on the schedule for today?"

"Well the only things left to do are to clean all the floors, and go
out to get the fresh produce." I stretched and thought of the team
of special forces dust bunnies from my dream. "Then, if we've
got time, and the courage, we'll make a start on soldier boy's
room."

"Oh joy!"