- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Author’s note: While writing A Promise Made, I though we should see how Robert agreed to become Lee’s guardian, so here it is. I just hope he approves.

Thank you to the women of chat, especially Jenn, who provided me with the one crucial sentence--breaking the logjam. I like to give a great big THANK YOU to Carrie for a wonderful beta. Any mistakes are mine alone.

Rain pelted the windows. Lightning flashed in the distance, and he found himself counting the seconds- one Mississippi, two chimpanzees, three Missi-panzees- just like his grandfather taught him. This time he'd only reached six-Missi-panzees before thunder rumbled in the distance.

Another flash of lightning illuminated the room, thunder boomed right on its heels. The storm was closer now. Using nature's lamp, he peeked at the bedside clock. The glowing hands read oh two forty-five. He'd been up for nearly twenty-three hours and he still couldn't sleep.

It had nothing to do with the weather. He loved storms. No, his insomnia had to do with his best friend, and their earlier discussion. Tossing the covers aside, Robert got out of bed to pace.  It only took two strides before he reached the end of the tiny room and he had to turn around.

Frustrated with the cramped quarters, he slipped on his robe and tiptoed into the living room. Now, he had room to roam. With military precision, he strode down the length of the living room and into the kitchen before turning and retracing his steps.

The repetitive motion allowed him to empty his mind, soothe his restlessness and concentrate on the problem at hand. Running his fingers through his hair, he took a few deep breaths, exhaling slowly.

What were his friends thinking? Asking him to be legal guardian to their son was the stupidest idea he'd ever heard. He certainly wasn't father material. What the hell did he know about raising kids? Ankle biters hated him.

He had no desire to be a parent. The Air Force was his baby, and he planned to make it his career.  Then there was the fact that an air base was no place to raise a kid. Besides, if Uncle Sam thought he needed a kid, they would have issued him one right along with his uniform.

If he agreed to be Lee's legal guardian, all his plans would change. Okay, maybe he would never be a four-star general, but he really wanted to try out for the test pilot program, follow in the footsteps of Yeager and the rest. The newest XJ bird would soon be ready for testing, and he planned to be behind the stick.

Just as he executed an about-face, lightning flashed illuminating the room. It took a moment for him to realize the light dimmed but didn't dissipate, someone snapped on the light in the kitchen.

He abandoned his pacing to investigate. Entering the kitchen, he found Jenny reaching into the refrigerator for the bottle of milk. He cleared his throat and she turned to face him. "I'm sorry, Jenny; I didn't mean to wake you."

She smiled. "Oh, you didn't. I couldn't sleep."

Thunder boomed and she jumped, nearly dropping the milk. Her face lost all color, her eyes wild with terror. He had seen that look before, in dozens of men who were on the ground. It was easy to forget about the civilians, people just like Jenny, who also lived through the horrors of war. He reached her side in a blink of an eye and pried the milk from her cold, trembling fingers.

After setting the bottle back in the fridge, he escorted her to the table, and nudged her into a chair. All the while, crooning softly, "You're safe, it's just a storm."

She took a deep breath and held it before releasing it. Embarrassed color flooded her face bringing some life back to her pale complexion. He set a glass of water in front of her before taking a seat across the table.

"Are you okay? Do you want me to wake Matt?"

She reached across the table and rested her hand on his arm. He could feel a slight trembling in her touch.

 "I'm fine, really. Sometimes the thunder . . ." She smiled at him and removing her hand from his arm, reached for the glass of water.

He watched her carefully; grateful her trembling eased.

After taking a few small sips, she placed the glass back on the table. "I know it's silly. Nights like this, a part of me can still hear bombs exploding. Sometimes I have to stop myself from ducking for cover."

"It's not silly, Jenny. After everything you've been through, I'd be surprised if you didn't have bad days. Anyone who lived through that is bound to have a moment or two. You're safe now. Nothing is going to happen."

 "Thank you--sometimes I need to be reminded of that. It is easy to forget, especially, with Matt's new position. I know its unlikely but dangerous things can happen. That is why it is important to me to get Lee's guardianship settled. Well, I should go back to bed. Lee will be awake and want to eat soon."  She stood and carried her glass over to the sink before heading off to bed.

As long as he was still in the kitchen, he may as well fix himself a snack. Opening the door to the refrigerator, he stood in the patch of light and studied its contents. Mrs. O'Casey's blueberry pie sat enticingly on the top shelf.  He cut himself a large wedge and poured a glass of milk. Taking his bounty  back to the table, he dug into the treat, and thought about what Jenny had said.

The longer he thought about it, the more he knew Jenny was right. It was highly unlikely anything would happen to both Matt and Jenny. A one in a million chance, so why shouldn't he agree to be Lee's legal guardian. Signing those papers would give them some peace of mind, and change nothing for him. He could still follow through with his career plans.

He polished off the last bite of pie, and sighed in satisfaction. Pushing away from the table, he stood up and stretched. After placing his dirty dish and glass in the sink, he turned out all the lights before heading back to bed. Tomorrow morning would be time enough to let his friends know of his decision.

End