- Text Size +
Story Notes:
These characters are owned by Shoot the Moon and Warner Brothers. I'm just writing for fun and appreciation of the story.

Thanks to Cheryl for being a great Beta reader.

Midnight Thoughts

Amanda King woke with a start and tensed her muscles ready to roll and get away from whatever had struck her in the side. As she had been trained, she took a moment to evaluate her surroundings before moving. She was in a beautiful four poster bed and the object which struck her was an arm. The remains of the softly glowing embers in the fireplace allowed her to see the glint of gold on the hand attached to the arm. She relaxed and sighed in contentment.  It was all coming back to her now. The arm belonged to her newly minted husband, Lee Stetson. She smiled serenely as images from the day began to traverse her mind. She recalled how happy Lee looked at their ceremony, each and every word they said to each other, their vows, and their kisses.  Afterwards in this very room the frustration of waiting for the housekeeper to finish cleaning and then the sweet moment when he finally took her in his arms and kissed her. She squirmed slightly at the remembrance of their first time making love as husband and wife.

Even though they hadn’t waited for their wedding night, there was still something special about this first time. She had had her qualms about making love to Lee before they were married, but they had been in too many close calls, too many brushes with death to wait to not grab what they could of their lives and love. So, they had become practiced lovers each precious time becoming a stronger testament to their love. They  knew each other’s body well, the curves and plains, their likes and dislikes, and sensitivities and secrets.

She looked at the clock and wasn’t surprised to see she was awake right on time. There was something about midnight that Amanda found soothing. Her internal alarm always seemed to know when it was time.  She carefully slipped out from beneath Lee’s arm and threw a light, crochet blanket over her bare shoulders and walked to the window to look out over the new day.  The moon shone down on a frost covered world almost as magical as her night with Lee.

Glancing over her shoulder, she smiled at his still sleeping form. She was continually amazed at his level of trust and comfort with her. The slight stirring as she left the bed didn’t bring him up to instant attention and alertness. Lee was everything to her: partner, best friend, lover and now husband. Each of those labels attached so easily and interchangeably to him. For most of their relationship she had felt so connected to him. Maybe that is why she could with a clear conscience make love with him before their wedding vows. Maybe she just knew when they finally confirmed their feelings for one another that they would have a permanent commitment, that she wouldn’t be just another name in one of his little black books.

Thinking back she recalled all the times she and Lee had been together for talks and other activities late at night. All the late night stakeouts or drops had just cemented their relationship. They had to rely on each other for their lives.  She thought about her recent kidnapping and confinement by Addi Birol and shuddered as though a cold wind had just swept by her. Although Birol and his lieutenants were in jail and would be for many years, his kidnapping and treatment of her had been the fodder for nightmares. She remembered a few months before in the Q Bureau when she broke down and told Lee her fears.

            “Don’t do that!” Amanda shrieked when he had come up behind her and slipped his arms around her waist for a quick embrace as he walked by her in the vault. She turned on him with her eyes blazing and hand poised to hit him before she stopped herself. “Oh Lee…I’m so sorry …I don’t know what got into me.” She hugged him closely. He could feel her heart pounding through her chest.

            “Hey, Amanda, what’s wrong?” He questioned, concerned by her reaction.

            “I just haven’t been able to sleep much.” She confessed. “I close my eyes and all I see is that white room and Birol. I don’t think I’ve had three hours of sleep in three days.” He noticed the dark circles under her eyes through the attempt to camouflage them with makeup.

            He tightened his grip around her. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

            “Sweetheart, I didn’t want to concern you. You’ve had your plate full with the reports and your ‘unauthorized’ rescue attempt. I really thought those mandatory sessions with Dr. Pfaff would help.”

            “A-man-da.” He dragged out her name in his frustration and bent his knees a little to look at her eye to eye. “You can tell me anything. Nothing about this job is more important than my fiancée.”

            She smiled and stroked his cheek when he called her ‘his fiancée’. “Oddly enough, it’s remembering your proposal that lulls me to sleep.  Then the nightmares start when I have no control of my mind.” She frowned momentarily until Lee brought her into his embrace. “All I really know is that I’m tired.” She continued her voice slightly muffled by Lee’s chest.

            Lee looked down at her, kissed the top of her head and smiled. “Why don’t we take a long lunch at the apartment and you can take a nap. We can’t have you slugging anyone who happens to touch you today; that’s my job. I’ll tuck you into bed and guard you from anything that might disturb you.”

            “That sounds wonderful, Lee. What time is it? Can we go now?”

            He chuckled into her hair. “I need to see Billy first, and then we can go.”

            Twenty minutes later they were in the apartment. Lee offered her a change of clothes so that hers didn’t get wrinkled and tried not to think of her undressing in his bedroom.

            “Lee?” Amanda called out nervously opening the door.

            “I thought you were going to climb into bed?”

            “I thought you were going to tuck me in?”

            He walked into his bedroom and stopped and stared at his Amanda. She had on the t-shirt and sweats he had left out on the bed for her. It didn’t matter what she had on. She was beautiful no matter what.

            “Will you stay with me for a while?” She asked hesitantly.

            “Absolutely,” he said as he dragged a chair from the corner.

            “No, not sitting on a chair but here on the bed in your arms. I think I can relax that way. I guess I would just feel safer”

            “Manda, if you’re sure you’re okay with that?” He took off his coat and tie, toed off his shoes and climbed onto the bed. Lee settled her into his arms with her head on his chest, his hand rubbing up and down her back willing her to sleep. He heard her small sigh and her breathing even out to long, deep breaths. Lee closed his eyes for a moment reveling in the feel of his love in his arms.

            Amanda woke to the sun in her eyes and the realization that it was late. Their long lunch had lasted three hours. “Lee, wake up! We have to get back to the office. Mr. Melrose is going to be so mad at us for taking this long for lunch. Oh my Gosh…I can’t believe I slept that soundly in the middle of the afternoon. I never sleep like that.” Amanda rambled as she started to worm out of Lee’s arms and out of bed. He never gave her a chance. He tightened his hold on her and brought her back down to his chest.

            “Amanda, calm down. I told Billy what was going on. He said to take as long as you needed to feel better. So…how do you feel? Any nightmares?”

            “Not that I can remember. I didn’t expect you to stay with me the entire time. You must be starving. I do feel a little better. I think this nap is just what I needed. Let me get dressed. Do you have anything in the kitchen for lunch?”

            After a lunch of sandwiches and coffee, they returned to the office only to be confronted by a snarky Francine. “Oh, where have you two been all morning? Lee, you look rested and satisfied.  If I remember correctly only one thing made you look like that.”

            “Can it Francine. I’m really not in the mood.” Lee took Amanda’s elbow and began to guide her back up the stairs to the Q.

            No sooner than they had reached the safety of the Q when Amanda turned to him. “Lee, you know that Mother and the boys are gone tonight for a long weekend. Why don’t you come over and we’ll have some time alone.” She smiled and put her arms around his neck and brushed his lips with hers. “It’s the least I can do for the help this afternoon.”

            That evening Amanda and Lee had dinner at her house. Lee had wanted to go out and not make her cook but Amanda was so tired that she felt that she couldn’t enjoy herself. So she and Lee cooked side by side laughing and talking about their future. She found that under certain circumstances Lee was quite ticklish. He discovered a spot right below her right ear that almost made her knees collapse when he brushed his lips past it.

            Their dinner was filled with more discussion, more laughter and several pregnant pauses as they just looked into each other’s eyes and joined their hands. After the dishes were done Lee pulled Amanda into his lap and began to trail kisses along her jaw to her lips. Amanda, never one to miss an opportunity, entwined her hands through his hair as she brought their lips closer together. She bit lightly at his bottom lip then ran her tongue over his lip for permission to enter. Permission he readily granted. They kissed and caressed each other. Amanda could feel her growing arousal and realized how long it had been since she had been intimate. The last person she had made love to was Joe and that was years ago. She knew that she was ready to begin again with Lee.  But that brought a whole new set of insecurities. She had had one lover in her life, she was pretty sure Lee had not confined himself to one lover at a time. How would she compare to all those women?

            Lee pulled back from their kiss with a questioning look at her sudden hesitation. “Manda?” he questioned. “Is something wrong? Am I rushing you?”

            Amanda smiled at him and realized her thoughts made her seem reluctant to him. She ran her hand over his chin and decided to voice her request. “Lee, would you stay here tonight?”

            He looked at her. “Really?  Are you sure?” His smile broadened like a child who had just been asked if he would like ice cream for dinner.

            He watched as a blush started up her neck as she rushed to explain. “I slept so well this afternoon…with you…I’m wondering what else I would do well…with you.” She left the statement hanging.

            He returned her question by pressing his lips to hers with an increased passion. “I would imagine that you would do everything with your usual flair.” Lee added his voice husky. “As a matter of fact I have imagined it… a lot.”

            Amanda smiled and blushed becomingly. “I have had a few … or more…of those thoughts as well.”

            Amanda stood and held her hand out to him. Lee rose and wrapped Amanda in his arms. His mouth descended to hers and all the pent up passion and emotion came out in their kiss. “I love you.” He whispered fiercely. He pulled her closer and she could feel his arousal against her.

            “I love you, too.” Amanda whispered as Lee planted light kisses down her neck. She moaned as Lee raked his teeth lightly against her collarbone.

            “Do you know what you do to me, Amanda? You consume my thoughts during the day and haunt my dreams at night.” Lee breathed into her ear between kisses.

            “I need you, Lee. I need to feel you with me, tonight.”

            Amanda led Lee up the stairs to her room. They stood facing each other for a moment as if unsure of their next moves. Amanda broke the tension and ran her hands up Lee’s chest in the familiar but now intimate gesture and brought her hands together at his buttons slowly unbuttoning his shirt and leaned in to kiss his chest. He groaned in response and began to work on her blouse buttons. He brought her face up to his for a deep kiss and they both began to pull the other’s shirts from the waistband of their pants. Lee’s fingers began to trace the lace of her bra. Soon his mouth joined his hands as he gave feather light kisses around her breasts. His hands teased her nipples to hardened pebbles. Amanda ran her hands through his hair and pressed him closer to her. Her breath caught as Lee skillfully managed to undo her bra with one hand.

She smiled. “You have some talented hands, Scarecrow.” She whispered in his ear as she guided his head up to hers for another fierce kiss.

He nipped at her earlobe and said, “You haven’t seen anything yet.” His clever hands continued the caresses, driving Amanda to the point of jelly. Lee swept her up in his arms and gently placed her on the bed. His mouth never left hers as they lay side by side and kissed until the need for oxygen forced them to separate. Her hands ran up and down his muscular back as he continued his exploration of her body with his mouth. Their shirts and her bra were unceremoniously dropped on the floor as their hands worked down each other’s arms. Amanda’s fingernails lightly scored across Lee’s back as he fastened his mouth against her right breast and began to lavish attention to it. He nipped, licked and suckled on it until she thought she would climax just from that. She remembered that it had been a very long time since anyone had touched her body like this. ‘Who am I kidding’ she thought. ‘No one had touched her body like this ever.’  Then his clever hand came to rest on her left breast and began to tease and tug on the already hardened nipple and drove conscious thought from her. He transferred his mouth to her left breast while his hand began to work his magic on her right. Amanda arched her back to give him more access. It became harder to control her body as every movement and touch of his mouth seemed to send electric impulses to her core.

“Leeeee!” She called out as her first orgasm overcame her. Lee looked up and watched her as she climaxed and smiled. He kissed her as she began to recover.

“You okay?” He queried as he began to apply more kisses to her face and neck. “You are so beautiful. I think more so now than before.” He whispered between kisses.

“More than okay. That… that …that never happened before.” She slowed her breathing and brought her eyes back into focus. She looked at him with a sparkle in her eyes. “Now I believe it is my turn to play.”

She pushed Lee onto his back and began to kiss down his chest paying particular attention to his nipples. She licked them and blew cold breaths on them and was delighted to see them hardened in conjunction to the groan which escaped Lee’s mouth. She kissed and licked her way down to his belt buckle and began to show him her clever hands as she undid his belt as her mouth outlined his burgeoning erection. Lee’s hips jerked off the bed as he felt her warm breath through his pants. She continued to undo the button and slowly unzip his pants. She began pulling on his waistband to drag the clothes off of his body. He lifted his hips to allow her better access. She took off his shoes and socks and pulled off his pants. “Amanda,” Lee groaned as she began to remove the rest of her clothing. Lee was watching her as she slowly brought her hands to the waistband of her panties and began to slowly inch them down past her hips and down her legs. She watched as Lee’s erection still hidden from view by his boxers began to move. Lee needed to keep repeating his mantra over and over just to get his body under control and to make sure that he wouldn’t come before she was ready for him.  Lee began to push his boxers down as well but Amanda stilled his hands and pulled them down herself watching as his penis came into full view.

“Oh my Gosh.” She exclaimed as she quickly removed his blue boxers. Amanda had always thought that Lee was handsome with clothes on but he was magnificent naked.  Her lips were suddenly dry and as she ran her tongue over them, she reached for Lee.  She ran her hands up Lee’s legs and brought her mouth to the tip of his imposing penis. She had never thought of a penis as impressive. Oh, but Lee’s was. She looked him in the eye with a small smile on her face and licked up his shaft and popped her mouth over the head, swirling her tongue over the tip to catch the small pearl of liquid in her mouth. She cupped his balls in her hand.  Lee knew he was in trouble when he saw the smile on her face. She looked very pleased with herself. His hands went to her head as he tried desperately to gain control over his body but knew that if she continued to pleasure him with her mouth, he wouldn’t last too long.

“Manda,” he gasped. “Please...stop…sweetheart…Oh my God!” he breathed as she began to suck on the head of his penis. He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her up to his chest and began to kiss her again. He rolled her over on her back and began to caress her skin his hand working down to the soft hair of her mound. Once again his clever fingers began to stroke her outer lips slowly working his fingertips into her inner lips. Feeling the aftereffects of her orgasm, his fingers easily slipped inside her warm core after a few strokes he added another finger and he could feel her muscles adjusting to him. As he began to stroke in and out of her, he placed his thumb over her clit and began to stroke around it. Amanda began to moan as the pressure built up in her. Her hips began to buck wildly when his thumb grazed over her clitoris. She was nearly sent off of the bed by a second orgasm.

“Lee, please. I need you. I want to feel you inside me.”

Lee moved so that his body was above hers and poised his achingly hard shaft at her wet opening. “Let me,” Amanda said as her hand caressed his shaft and guided him into her core. They both let out a moan as he slipped fully into her.  He paused for a moment to allow Amanda to adjust to him. She stared deep into his eyes and saw the passion building in him. She had never felt so complete before. She could tell that he wanted to go gently and allow her to enjoy their first time together.  He began to move his hips slowly, withdrawing from her only to ease back into her. Amanda began to match his rhythm. Their movements syncopated in the ancient dance made new by these lovers. As Amanda began to moan, Lee began to increase his pace. Her arms wrapped around his neck and brought him down to her mouth for another passionate kiss. He could feel her warm, wet muscles surrounding his shaft begin to constrict him. Knowing she was close to another orgasm he brought his mouth down to her breast and began to once again lavish it with his tongue.

“Leeee!” Amanda cried as she climaxed once again and Lee unable to control his body any longer released his seed into her core with her name on his lips.

Brought back to the present by the very pleasant memory and the sound of Lee shifting in bed, Amanda smiled again and felt a tightening in her stomach as she continued to remember that weekend together. They had moved to his apartment for Saturday night to keep her neighbors from talking too much. They had been able to hold each other all night without interruptions. Lee whispered his love for her as she drifted off to sleep. His heated kisses woke her up again in the middle of the night as they made love several more times. At one time she had taken the initiative by waking him up with her mouth on his half aroused penis. That was something else she had learned about Lee, when he was around her it never took much to bring him to full arousal.

They had talked that whole weekend about their lives. She told him about her feelings of inadequacy and fear that she was too inexperienced for him. She had explained about her discomfort with letting him see her naked, after all she had two children. He had reassured her that she was the most beautiful woman in the world, that he wouldn’t change a thing about her body and that what they had together he had never felt before. He held her close to him and explained that yes he had had sex before but now he truly understood the meaning of making love. She had given him that confidence and sensation. He confessed his cluelessness at having a long term relationship. She had promised to help him over the rough patches.

One memory faded into another as she thought back to a few weeks ago, when they were still working past midnight in the Q Bureau and Lee had come up behind her while she was putting away some files they had been researching. Lee had snuck behind her and begun to nuzzle at her neck finding his favorite spot behind her ear, she turned her head and began her token protest that they were in the office and that they had to act like they were professional  but her words were stopped by a breath-taking kiss from Lee.  Each time they were together they learned more about each other. One of the first things they had learned after their first night together is that they couldn’t keep their hands off of each other unless forced to by circumstances. She turned around in his arms and wrapped her arms around his neck and he claimed her mouth for another kiss. When they had both come up for air. She said breathlessly.

“Lee, you have to stop doing that! Ambushing me while I’m filing is going to make the work go even more slowly.”

“Think of it as sharpening your observation skills, Manda. How is it that I can keep sneaking up on you?” He countered. His hands caressing her back roaming down to occasionally cup her cute derriere and pulling her hips closer to his arousal.

“I don’t know. But we will never get out of here. I knew we would be working late so, I told Mother that we were in the editing room tonight.” She smiled.

“All night?”

“All night.” She confirmed as she brought his mouth back down for another kiss.

“Great! Let’s go to the apartment.” He grabbed her hand and started to pull her out of the vault.

“Lee. The filing? The reports?”

“Forget it.”

“We can’t.”

“Why? We’ll just come in a little early and do it in the morning.”

“You know what we are like in the morning.” She reasoned. “We have a hard time getting up and getting motivated.”

“I don’t know, Amanda.”  Lee pondered. “I have plenty of motivation to get up when you are around.” Lee smiled as he pulled her close.

Amanda giggled, blushed and ran her fingers through his hair.  “I know, Big Fella, that’s my point.”

Lee sighed. “You are a cruel taskmaster, My Love.”

“I know. But you know your sacrifice will be rewarded.” She replied as she ran a finger around the bulge in front of his pants. “Especially after you see what I brought with me.”

“Oh Manda.” He groaned. “How I need you.”

“Sweetheart, you have me, now and always.” She ran her hands over his chest and around his back.

“Great! Let’s go to the apartment.” Lee once again tried to get her out the door.

“Lee! Fifteen more minutes to finish everything. But you have to help.”

 It actually took thirty minutes because Lee kept distracting her by caressing her breasts and nibbling her neck. When he finally had her out the Georgetown foyer and in the ‘Vette the trip took a maddening fifteen minutes The negligee she had purchased was put on, duly admired and unceremoniously dropped on the floor within five minutes.  Lee much preferred his Amanda wearing nothing but a smile. They came together in a mix of caresses and kisses as they rediscovered each other’s bodies once again. Their coupling was at first fast and furious as if they hadn’t seen each other in weeks instead of days. Afterward they lay momentarily sated in each other’s arms. Amanda was nestled next to Lee with her head on his shoulder and her hand making lazy tracks on his body. Lee’s hand traced unconsciously similar patterns up and down her back occasionally sneaking kisses on whatever part of her body he could reach.

Lee noticed her furrowed brow. “Hey,” He whispered bringing her closer to him. “What are you thinking?”

Amanda was startled out of her reverie by his embrace. “Hmmm… I was just thinking about longevity.”

“Longevity?” he questioned. “Amanda, I realized we were quick but I think you know my stamina is pretty good.”

“Lee,” she smacked him playfully on the arm. “That is not what I am talking about and you know it. I’m wondering about us and how long we will last at this speed…”

“At this speed… What do you mean last?” He pulled back from the embrace so he could look at her. Did she think that he was not staying with her forever? Did she think that this was a fleeting affair? What about their engagement? Didn’t she know how much he needed her?

Amanda sensed his questions and climbed up, straddled his hips, took his face in her hands and looked deep into his hazel eyes. She kissed him with passion and not a little tongue. “Before you go off halfcocked, I meant longevity as in how long we are going to be able to keep all this a secret. People are going to continue speculating if we continue to give them ammunition. I think we both give them plenty by the way we act.  I wonder how feasible keeping a secret is.”

Lee returned her kiss and moved his hips a little to settle her on his cock correctly. He could feel her moist heat and his erection growing. He tried to concentrate on her concerns. “Honey, we are doing this for the right reason. If we have to be more circumspect then so be it. However, now that I know the lusciousness of your body I can’t quite keep my hands off you. I hope that never fades. I love you, Amanda. I love you more than I ever thought was possible.”

“Lee I love you too. I never thought I would find this type of love. Every day we are together I fall a little more in love with you. And I don’t want the physical side to fade either. I need you more and more. Sometimes I’m surprised we get through a day at work without jumping each other.” Amanda moved her hips forward a little to caress his erection.

“Manda.” he groaned. “If you continue that we will not be finishing this discussion.”

“Who needs talk?” She replied moving backwards again and playing with the tip of his now very hard penis. “Now, what were you saying about your stamina and longevity? Time to put up, Scarecrow.”

Talk was abandoned for a while when he sat up and started sucking on her nipple while his hands continued to run up and down her back. Amanda ran her fingers through his hair and pushed him into her breast. She moaned when she felt him nipping and teasing her right breast while his hand began its magic on its twin. She continued to shift her body rubbing up against his now rock hard erection. He let go of her breast only to find her mouth once again. Their tongues met and teased each increasing the physical need of the other. Lee rolled them over so that Amanda was now on her back looking up into his eyes with a smoldering passion. He began his downward journey. Starting with her neck as he kissed, licked and nipped across to that spot she loved him to touch so much. His hands continued his exploration by running his fingers lightly up and down her body and circling her breasts and working up to her nipples. His mouth continued where his hands left off and took turns kissing each hardened pebble. He would first lave each creamy mound with his tongue then use his teeth to nip and bring each nipple to attention his hands reached to caress her stomach and hips making Amanda squirm and shudder with desire.

“You cold?” he asked stopping only for a moment to tease her.

“No.” Came back the whispered reply. “Lee, please…”

“Please what, my love? What do you want? I thought you were questioning my stamina.” He remarked as he addressed his attention to Amanda’s belly button. His fingers moved to stroke her outer folds. His fingers so very light to the touch began to drive her crazy when all she wanted at this moment was to climax. She spread her legs farther apart to facilitate Lee’s possession of her and she pressed his hand through her folds to find her core and bundle of nerves.  “Oh my God, You are so hot and so wet.” He sighed as he began his lingual assault. His fingers pulled back her outer folds and his tongue began licking her and gathering her juices into his mouth. Amanda nearly arched herself off the bed when his mouth closed in on her clit and began to lick, suck and nip. He was driving her closer and closer to completion when he inserted a finger into her core and began to stroke in and out of her. He marveled that her muscles still clenched his fingers holding him tightly inside her. He knew all too well what she felt like when his shaft was in her.  This idea made him moan and the vibration of that moan sent her over the cliff.

“Lee!” She called as she pushed his head deeper wanting him to continue as wave upon wave of ecstasy broke over her.

He continued loving her with his mouth until her orgasm had settled and she was breathing quickly. He kissed his way back up her body and reclaimed her mouth for another deeply satisfying kiss. She could taste herself on his tongue and found it to be highly erotic.

“I believe a true test of stamina and longevity comes from this,” she said as she began a rhythmic stroking of his rock hard cock.

“Oh Manda!” Lee groaned as she picked up her pace.

“Or this” She added as she pushed him onto his back and brought her mouth down to his cock and swirled her tongue around the tip collecting his essence that had seeped out. Amanda began to work his penis with her mouth, tongue and hands. She ran her tongue up and down the sensitive underside and brought her mouth down on top of his penis tightening her lips around his shaft and lightly scraping him with her teeth as she pulled her head back up. She felt him tense beneath her as his hands went to her head. As her mouth worked up and down giving him pleasure her fingers began to caress his testicles. Her fingernails lightly scraped the sensitive skin behind his balls. Lee arched his back and began to move his hips in time to Amanda’s mouth. She could tell that he couldn’t stand much more. His breathing was ragged and his skin burned hot with the passion she was creating. She knew he was about to climax. She could feel the tightening of his balls and while she wanted to feel him deep inside of her she also wanted to give Lee this pleasure so she increased the pressure on his shaft.

“Oh God, Manda…I’m going to…” Lee moaned as he came. Amanda felt him and swallowed his essence. She smiled as Lee breathed heavily and caught his breath. She kissed her way back up his body and rested her head on his shoulder listening to his breathing even out and his heart beat slow. “That was incredible,” he whispered kissing her hair and bringing her closer to him.

“The least I could have done is return the favor,” she said as she caressed his check and gave him a kiss.

“Sweetheart, trust me that was not the least you could do.” He smiled as he pulled her on top of his body and ran his fingers around her back. “Now, do you want to finish our conversation on longevity? I’m curious about what you meant if it wasn’t about sexual stamina or our relationship.”

“It is hard to concentrate on a conversation in this particular situation.” Amanda replied as she placed a series of kisses on his chest. She scooted down his body and pulled up the covers of his bed up to keep them warm. “All I meant was that our secret isn’t going to remain a secret very long. We are always together. You are beginning to spend more time at the house than here. Despite our best efforts to remain discreet at work somebody, usually Francine, always seems to catch us being a couple.”

“I guess you’re right.” Lee conceded. “It’s just I spent so long denying any feelings for you that I don’t really want to do it any longer. But we still need to keep this quiet for our partnership and the safety of the family.”

“I understand, thus the quandary.” She pointed out as she rolled off of him and settled her head on his chest. Her eyes began to droop and close as her breath evened out. Lee held her as she fell asleep and wondered how they could take the scrutiny off of themselves. He was lulled to sleep by the warmth of her body and the sounds of her breathing. His last thought was ‘we will work something out.’

Amanda stared out of the window and pulled the blanket a little more tightly around her. She thought about how Lee had changed over the last few years and how often her thoughts centered on something he did or said to her. There were times she was just so mad at him that she…she…she didn’t know what she wanted to do to him. Smack him. Shake him. Hug him. Kiss him. She knew she had had a crush on him. Perhaps there was a little hero worship as well. That faded as they continued to succeed and close cases. She acknowledged, even if he didn’t, that she was helping him. She thought back and tried to remember when that chemistry began. That spark which was between them. It was there when they were dealing with Scotty and his film. Lee had held her close so they looked natural sitting in the car. She had felt his pulse speed up when she put her hand on his face. She had taken it for an adrenaline boost because of the case. Lee told her recently that he had been shocked by the feelings she stirred. He had put it down to feeling protective. Of course, there was something in his eyes when he first approached her on the train platform. She trusted him then.

She knew it was friendship and relief when he appeared at her door after faking his death. Yet when he kissed her at the Blazes’ training camp, he looked at her in such a way that was odd. Just for a moment she thought he may come in for a second kiss. She was…well…just shell shocked.  He really was a good kisser and he wasn’t even trying hard then. There were so many times. They had been through so much together and they had come through it together. They had a strong partnership and friendship. She knew their marriage would be just as strong.

She felt a brush of her hair and a kiss along the nape of her neck. Strong arms circled her and a husky baritone voice whispered in her ear. “What are your doing out of our bed, Mrs. Stetson. If you were having trouble sleeping, you could have asked me for help.” He kissed her earlobe and hugged her in tight. She could feel his arousal against her back.  “I woke up to find you gone. For the next week while on our honeymoon I want you by my side when I wake up.”

She turned in his arms and placed her arms around his neck the blanket falling off of her shoulders and onto the floor unheeded by either of them. “It was just the usual.” She told him brushing her body against his.

“And here I thought we had broken you of that habit by sheer exhaustion.” He mumbled as kissed her neck.

She moved her head a little to give him better access to her neck. “You’re welcome to try again, Big Fella.” She told him as she stroked his hair. She felt herself being lifted in his arms, carried across the room and placed gently on the bed.

Lee let out an exaggerated sigh which belied his physical state. “I guess I am going to just have try my best once again, Amanda.”

Amanda Stetson breathed a sigh of contentment as her husband once again tried his best.