- Text Size +

Epilogue                                                                                                           Sunday, December 31, 1989

At Nedlinger's bar, Jonathan Stone sat alone, nursing a drink. His life was in a shambles...where had he gone wrong? Only a few weeks ago, he'd been living his dream- a beautiful young girl at his side, millions of dollars headed his way, and he'd thrown it all away. For what? Francine had made it crystal clear that she was no longer available to him.

‘I suppose I've milked that dry,' he ruminated. ‘She could have been more helpful, though. After all I've done for her over the years...' She'd been a pipsqueak when he'd first hooked up with her and he'd shown her what life was all about, and now...this was the thanks he got?

"Damn Francine!" he muttered and motioned for the bartender to bring him another round.

"Having troubles, handsome?" Jonathan looked around and saw a lithe young woman sidle up to him, taking the stool next to him.

"Well, hello there," Jonathan smirked and she fluttered her eyelashes at him. "And, who might you be?"

"Oh," she soothed. "I just saw you sitting over here, all by your lonesome, and you seemed to be down. I thought I might be able to cheer you up a little bit." She placed her hand on his shoulder and gave him a sweet smile.

"You've already brightened up my night just by coming over. Can I buy you a drink?" Jonathan scooted closer and gave her a smile.

"Sure, honey- I'll take a white wine spritzer, if you don't mind." Jonathan nodded to Ned and gave the lady's order. "Now, who is this mean old Francine who's knocked you down?" she cooed.

"Oh, Francine...well, let's just say that she's someone I wouldn't mind sticking it to," Jonathan groused.

"Poor baby, did she hurt you so bad?" the lady cooed as she lazily pulled her fingers through his hair.

"You could say that...her and her friends. I swear, if I knew how to get back at them, I would," he grumbled. "I mean...I helped them break up a huge cartel and the only thanks I get is the door at my back."

"You wouldn't be talking about Francine Desmond, would you?" the lady murmured, as her eyes narrowed.

"Yeah," Jonathan perked up. "Do you know her?"

"You might say so," Kelly Reed purred. "You might say I don't like her or her friend, Amanda, either."

"Amanda Stetson, right?" Jonathan asked. "Yeah, I don't much like her myself."

"Really?" Kelly moved closer. "Sounds to me like you and I might have a lot of things to talk over...if you're interested." She gave him a seductive smile.

Jonathan looked around the bar, then back at the woman in front of him. She was attractive in a way, though not nearly as beautiful as Francine. However, he saw the gleam in her eye and knew that this was one proposition he wouldn't be turning down. Who knew how useful this Kelly could be?

"Oh, I'm interested," Jonathan agreed, motioning for the bill. Ned brought over the bill and the two drinks he'd just ordered. Both silently drank them, then Kelly stood as Jonathan threw some bills down.

Kelly took his hand and whispered, "I think you might just be what the doctor ordered." She then led him toward the exit. As he followed her, he failed to notice the triumphant smile that appeared on her face. This was her lucky night indeed.