- Text Size +

Chapter Three                                                                                                                              Monday, December 25, 1989

Amanda woke up to the sounds of giggling. Suddenly, she felt a warm slap on her back, then heard someone say, "Bababababa". She rolled over and found herself staring into chocolate brown eyes.

"Well, good morning, precious," she said as she wrapped her arms around her youngest child. Katie leaned over and said, "baba", then giggled as Amanda lifted her above her.

Lee reached his hand over and smoothed Amanda's hair back, whispering, "Merry Christmas, Mommy."

She gazed at him and smiled, "Merry Christmas, Daddy." He leaned down and gave her a tender kiss. Katie squealed and he took her from her mother, kissing her belly and making her giggle.

"Up," Sarah called as she tried to climb out of her playpen. "Up! Up!" Amanda sat up and padded over to her other daughter and pulled her out.

"Merry Christmas, darling! Do you want to come snuggle with us?" Amanda cooed as Sarah snuggled up close. They returned to the bed and all four snuggled close together.

"Oh, Lee, isn't this a wonderful way to get up in the morning?" Amanda sighed as she ruffled his hair.

"Definitely," he agreed, then leaned over to whisper in her ear, "Although, I can think of something more intriguing..."

Amanda giggled and breathed, "Oh, I'm sure you and I both can. Maybe we can do something about it later this week."

"Is that a promise?" Lee said as he maneuvered his way closer. Katie and Sarah climbed all over the bed and he gathered Amanda into his arms.

"Oh, it's definitely a promise," she grinned and pulled him down into a kiss.

"Mom!" Jamie called from outside the room. "It's Christmas morning! Lee, come on! We want to open presents!"

Katie heard her brother's voice and started trying to get off the bed. Lee shook his head and placed Katie on the floor. She crawled over to the door and squealed.

"See?" Phillip said from the other side. "Katie wants to open presents, too!"

"We're coming, boys!" Lee said as he opened the door. "Take your sisters downstairs and we'll be down in a minute."

Jamie and Phillip came in and gathered the girls. "Hurry up, Mom!"

Amanda laughed and responded, "Give me a couple of minutes and I'll be there. See if your grandma is downstairs- she might need help with breakfast."

The boys hurried down the stairs and Amanda grabbed her robe. "Never a dull moment around here is there?" she laughed as Lee pulled his robe on.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Lee said as he pulled her into his embrace. "It's a far cry from chips and guacamole...and I couldn't be happier."

"Good," she whispered as she kissed him tenderly. "Now, let's go have Christmas."

SMK SMK

Something wouldn't leave his cheek alone. Ephraim swatted at the fly, but it kept returning. It tickled his chin, and he tried to turn over on his side, but something blocked him. He swatted at the fly again, and heard a giggle. Flies didn't giggle...

He opened his eyes and saw Francine dragging a piece of Christmas ribbon across his cheek. "What are you doing?" he said groggily.

"Trying to wake you up...what does it look like I'm doing?" Francine replied with a smirk. "Don't you realize it's Christmas morning?"

"Well, Merry Christmas, beautiful," Ephraim answered, flipping her on her back. He leaned down and kissed her hungrily. She kissed him back, then slipped out of the bed.

"Uh uh uh," Francine scolded playfully. "I want my present!"

Ephraim laughed, then threw his robe on. "Well, I guess I need to get them for you, don't I?"

"Them?" she said brightly as she followed him into his living room.

Ephraim led her over to the Christmas tree and they sat on the floor in front of it.  He looked over at how excited Francine was. He shook his head, still unable to believe at times that he had captured her heart.

"What is it, Ephraim? Is something wrong?" she said, seeing a strange look on his face.

"No, nothing's wrong at all...everything's so...right. It just takes me by surprise sometimes, that's all," he said, clearing his throat. "You just...take my breath away."

She smiled and whispered, "I love you, Ephraim."

He leaned over and kissed her gently, whispering, "I will never get tired of hearing that." He straightened up and handed her a large package. "So, want your first present?"

"How many are there?" she asked.

"Two," he answered with a smile.

She ripped the paper off of the package and opened it to find a beautiful midnight blue cashmere sweater. "Oh, Ephraim," she gasped. "It's gorgeous."

"You really look beautiful in blue, Francine. When I saw it, I knew I had to get it for you," he answered. "Do you like it?"

"I love it!" she breathed. "I'm going to wear it today to Amanda's." She leaned over and gave him a kiss. "Thank you so much." She beamed at him, then pulled a package out for him.

He opened it and found a light grey button down shirt. "I thought you'd look fantastic in this color," Francine explained. "I hope you like it."

"I do...I love it, Francine," Ephraim answered with a smile. "Now, I want you to open this one." He pulled out a small box and handed it to her.

She took the box from him and opened it. Inside, she found a gold necklace with a sapphire and diamond pendant hanging at the end. The sapphire had been cut to resemble a heart, with the diamonds surrounding it. She looked up at Ephraim, eyes shining, and whispered, "It's stunning. I've never seen anything like it."

"I love you so much, Francine. When I saw this, I knew it belonged to you," he whispered as she pulled him to her. She gently kissed him, then turned around, saying, "Would you put it on me?"

He took the necklace from her and gently clasped it around her neck. "Merry Christmas, Francine."

"You still have another present, Ephraim," she said as she pulled a box out and handed it to him.

He opened the box and found a leather key chain with a key attached. He looked up at her and she continued, "This is the key...to my apartment. Ephraim, I don't think you know exactly how much you mean to me. In the past, I treated you pretty shabbily and I can't tell you just how much I regret that. I know we've only been together for a short while, but I've come to count on you more than anyone else in my life. I know that I can trust you with anything and everything. I'm so glad you waited for me and I hope that this gift shows you how much I really do love you."

He covered her hand with his and whispered, "I don't know what to say...I..." He drew her into a fierce embrace and kissed her hair. "I love you so much. You've made me very happy."

SMK SMK

Lee watched the boys play their brand new Sega Genesis game system. They had been delighted when they'd opened it that morning. They'd received several articles of clothing and some books and board games, but the Sega was clearly the hit of the day. The girls had also made out like bandits with new outfits, stuffed animals, and other girly toys. They highlight of their Christmas was a plastic kitchen for their nursery.

Amanda walked out of the kitchen and put her arms around his waist. "It's been a good day, hasn't it?"

Lee turned around and kissed her on the cheek, agreeing, "Yes, it has. So, did you really like the earrings I got you?"

She turned to let him see them sparkling in her ears. "Of course I did, sweetheart. But, I really love the weekend getaway you've planned for us for New Year's. I can't wait to go!"

"Well, I thought we deserved a little mini-vacation and your mother agreed. Lillian will still be here and the boys can help your mother with the girls," Lee explained.

"So, they were all on it?" Amanda giggled. Lee nodded and kissed her. "Well, then I guess we can't disappoint them. Does Billy know? I mean, I'd hate for him to assign us a mission..."

"He knows. In fact, he actually suggested it. He seemed to think you've been under a lot of stress lately and thought it might do us some good," Lee clarified.

Just then, the doorbell rang. "That'll be Francine and Ephraim," Amanda said as she walked over to the door. She welcomed the friends in and oohed and aahed over the new necklace Francine wore. Lee walked over and clapped Ephraim on the shoulder, then grabbed one of the sacks he was carrying.

Francine followed Amanda into the living room and placed their presents under the tree. "So, did the kids have a good Christmas?" Francine asked as she followed Amanda into the kitchen.

"Oh, absolutely," Amanda shared. "They got just about everything they wanted and then some. It was really fun seeing Katie opening presents. The first Christmas is always special."

"Yes, it is," Francine agreed with a brilliant smile. Before Amanda could question her, Dotty and Lillian entered the kitchen.

"Merry Christmas, Francine," Dotty said, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "My goodness but that is a gorgeous sweater."

"Thank you, Dotty. Ephraim gave it to me for Christmas," Francine beamed. Dotty gave her a smile, then gave her daughter a knowing look.

"Well, dinner will be ready in about 45 minutes," Dotty said as she checked the goose.

"Why don't we go into the living room then, so we can exchange gifts with Francine and Ephraim," Amanda suggested.

They all walked into the living room while Amanda went to the den to get the kids as well as Lee and Ephraim. Lee sat down next to Amanda and gave her a knowing look. She leaned over and whispered, "We'll compare notes later," as she looked at Ephraim as he went to sit next to Francine. Lee smiled at her and gave her a wink. Amanda beamed. This Christmas was getting better and better.

SMK SMK

Later that evening, Amanda and Lee sat on the couch with Ephraim and Francine, drinking a glass of wine. Dotty and Lillian had taken the girls to Dotty's apartment for some "girl time", Colonel Clayton had left to go to his temporary barracks at Andrews, and Phillip and Jamie had driven over to the Lightners to show off the car.

"Amanda, do you mind if I check my messages?" Francine asked. "I tried to reach my mom earlier today, but she was out. We normally talk on Christmas Day, so she might have left a message."

"Of course, Francine. You know you don't have to ask," Amanda agreed. Francine walked into the kitchen. Ephraim angled himself so that he could see her expressions.

Lee noticed and asked, "What's up, Ephraim?"

"What do you mean?" Ephraim responded absently.

"Well, you don't normally watch Francine check her messages. I take it she heard from Jonathan again," Lee continued.

"He showed up yesterday morning when we were about to have breakfast," Ephraim told Lee. "I threw him out." He continued to watch Francine. She was currently smiling, so she must've had a message from her mother.

"You know he's not going to give up," Amanda warned.

"I know, which is why I've moved Francine over to my place. If she has to deal with him, it's not going to be at home," he answered Amanda, standing as he saw Francine's expression change to incredulity. He saw Francine hang up the phone, then turn to the living room, confusion evident on her face. "Francine, what's going on?"

"I had a message from Eloise Clare. She said she'd like to talk with me about Jonathan. Apparently, she's concerned about what her father is going to do," Francine said, walking back over to the couch. "Should I meet with her?"

"That's up to you, Francine," Ephraim said. "But, you won't be doing it alone."

"I have an idea," Amanda piped up. "Why don't you set up a meeting for lunch tomorrow at Emelio's. I'll go with you, and Lee and Ephraim can sit at the bar while we talk to her. It could be interesting, don't you think?"

Ephraim grinned and nodded, "That sounds like a good idea. What do you think, Francine?"

"I don't know. I really don't want to be involved with any of this," Francine hedged. "On the other hand, I would hate for anyone to have to deal with Jonathan like I've had to. She should know what he's really like."

"I've heard that the Ambassador can be difficult. He's the type to destroy anyone who steps on his feet," Lee shared. "Lana has heard some pretty interesting things about him."

"Did anyone else call?" Ephraim asked.

"My mother called- she was at one of her friends' houses and said she'd catch up with me later this week," Francine said matter-of-factly. "And, Jonathan called again. He said he would be by to see me again soon."

"He's a real piece of work, isn't he?" Ephraim grumbled. Francine grabbed his hand, then kissed his cheek.

"Yes, he is," Francine agreed.

Amanda gave Lee a look, then said to Francine, "Would you mind helping me carry these toys up to the nursery?"

"Sure," Francine agreed, gathering several of the new stuffed animals in her arms. Together, the women made their way to the stairs.

Lee looked at Ephraim and said, "So...what's the game plan? If I had to place bets, Stone's going to show up at the Agency soon."

"I know," Ephraim agreed, "and I don't think I can keep Francine at my place for too long. But, I'm sticking to her like glue. That guy is scum. I don't like this twist with the Ambassador either. Do you know anything about him?"

"Ambassador Clare?" Lee questioned. "Nothing more than what Lana told me, but I think it'd be a good idea to see what else we can find out before they meet his daughter tomorrow. By the way, I can't remember the last time I saw Francine this happy. You're good for her."

"She's good for me," Ephraim replied. "I still can't believe she's with me, you know?"

"Yeah," Lee chuckled. "I know the feeling." Ephraim laughed and Lee turned the TV on. "Let's see if we can find a game."

SMK SMK

In the nursery, Francine gave Amanda a knowing look. Amanda smiled back and said, "So, how was your Christmas?"

Francine laughed and answered, "Oh, Amanda, it's been great...the best Christmas I ever had...even with all this crap with Jonathan."

"How's Ephraim handling that?" Amanda asked.

"A lot like Lee would, I guess. He's gone into hyper-protective mode, even moving me over to his place. I'm going along with it...it's nice to be taken care of for once," Francine confided. "Besides, it's easier to handle Jonathan when another man is involved."

Amanda nodded and smiled, "I'm glad it's working out with you and Ephraim. You make a good team."

"He told me he loved me," Francine smiled.

Amanda beamed and gushed, "Oh, Francine, that's wonderful."

"Oh, Amanda, I never thought I'd ever feel like this about anyone. Why didn't you tell me how being in love felt? I would've tried it a lot sooner!" Francine teased.

Amanda threw her head back, laughing. It was good to see her friend finally with the right man. "Like you would've ever listened to me. In fact, I seem to recall trying to tell you that a few times."

"You're right," Francine admitted. "I guess I wasn't ready. But, I'm glad I finally did listen to you. I can't believe how well things are going!"

"I'm really happy for you, Francine," Amanda replied. "I think you'll be surprised at how much better things can get as your relationship grows. It only gets better from here."

Francine smiled and Amanda gave her a hug. Amanda thought about the difficulties ahead for Francine in the coming days with Jonathan Stone. It was not going to be easy to get rid of him, but together all four of them would make sure that this was over for Francine as quickly as possible.