- Text Size +

Chapter Two                                                                                                               Sunday, December 24, 1989

Francine awoke to the delicious aroma of coffee brewing. She lay back on her pillow with her eyes closed, relishing the dream. A few moments passed and she could still smell it, along with hearing the sounds of someone moving in her kitchen, and was that...bacon?

Suddenly, the events of last night came rushing back to her. She smiled when she remembered how wonderful the night had ended, then saw that she was no longer alone.

"Good morning, beautiful," Ephraim said as he walked over to the bed, carrying a mug. He handed it to her, and she took a sip. She took a long look at the man in front of her. Gone were the days when Ephraim resembled a nerd with the big glasses and the goofy haircut. Once Lee and Amanda had accepted him into their fold, Lee had taken him out and "helped" him choose better clothes, a better cut, and convinced him to get contacts. He was self-confident and wore a huge smile that she could no longer resist.

"I could get used to waking up to this," Francine giggled. He took the mug out of her hand and grabbed at her sides, knowing exactly where she was ticklish. She laughed as she pulled him down, kissing him with abandon.

A little while later, she threw on her robe and got out of bed, taking the lukewarm mug with her. Ephraim got up and followed her to the kitchen. "Let me finish the eggs and we'll have breakfast."

"Sounds wonderful," Francine responded. "I'll get the paper and join you at the table."

She opened the door and reached down for the paper. As she did, she noticed two black shoes walk up. She stood up and found herself face to face with Jonathan Stone.

"Well, hello there, gorgeous," he whispered, running his hand down her arm.

"What are you doing here?" she groaned.

"I told you I'd be stopping by. So," he said, walking into her apartment, "looks like I'm just in time for breakfast. When did you start cooking?"

As Jonathan walked over to the table, Ephraim walked out of the kitchen, carrying two plates. "What are you doing here?" he asked, incredulity filling his voice.

"Who are you?" Jonathan asked, looking Ephraim over. It was obvious that Ephraim was quite at home in Francine's apartment, wearing only sweatpants.

"I think you remember who I am," Ephraim responded with scorn. "And you are interrupting our breakfast. Is there something that you needed?"

Francine nearly giggled at the expression of astonishment on Jonathan's face. She walked over to where Ephraim was and put her arms around him. He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. Then, she looked at Jonathan and said, "So...are you still under the illusion that I still have feelings for you? Because that couldn't be further from the truth. I am off the market. I am in love with Ephraim. You are not welcome here."

"I...you can't possibly be serious, Frannie. You and I belong together. We always find our way back to one another. I'm ready to be with you now. I can be faithful," Jonathan promised.

"I believe the lady told you that you aren't welcome here," Ephraim retorted. He stood up and put his hand on Jonathan's shoulder. "I think it's time for you to leave." He walked with Jonathan to the door, then gently pushed him out. "Do not bother Francine again. Now, you have yourself a Merry Christmas." Ephraim shut the door and walked back to Francine. "Ready to eat?"

Francine smiled and kissed him. "Merry Christmas, darling."

SMK SMK

Amanda sat with her mother in the den, watching Katie pull herself up on the coffee table. Lee was upstairs with Sarah, changing her diaper.

"So, Mother, Delilah and Captain Kurt announced their engagement at her party last night? When did they even start dating?" Amanda asked.

"Well, I introduced them to each other back in September, I think. Kurt invited me to Maryland for that air show and I brought Delilah along with me. I think it's a match made in heaven. Delilah asked me to be her matron of honor," Dottie explained.

"That's wonderful. So, did Andre make it after all?"

"Yes, he was late, though. He's been offered a position at UC-Berkeley and his flight was delayed due to a storm in the Midwest."

"Is he going to take it?" Amanda asked. Her mother had been seeing Dr. Zernov for well over a year, but had maintained that she had no interest in ever remarrying.

"I think so. I will miss him, but he is making great strides with his work and it makes him happy," Dotty responded.

"Do you love him, Mother?" Amanda asked, putting her hand on her mother's.

"Not like I loved your father, dear," Dotty sighed. "I enjoy his company and I do love him, but I'm not in love with him."

Amanda patted her on the hand, then scooped up Sarah as she toddled into the den. "Ooh, where do you think you're going, precious? Are you running Daddy ragged?"

Lee walked in, running his fingers through his hair. "She's like the Energizer Bunny- nothing stops her!"

Amanda and Dotty laughed and Amanda let Sarah down on the floor. She walked over to her toy chest and started digging through it.

Lee went into the kitchen to get some coffee and heard a car door shut. "Amanda, I think the boys are home."

Amanda got up and went to the front door and opened it. Instead of two boys, she found herself greeting Colonel Robert Clayton, Lee's uncle. "Why, Uncle Robert, what a wonderful surprise!"

"I hope I'm not intruding, but I was given TDY orders to Andrews for the next few weeks, and I thought...well..." he started to explain.

"You came for Christmas!" Amanda exclaimed with glee, throwing her arms around his neck. "Oh, I'm so happy you are here! Lee! Mother! Look who's come for Christmas!"

Dotty and Lee met them in the hallway. "Sir," Lee began, "I'm...uh...well...Merry Christmas."

"Thank you, Skip. Now, where are my great-nephews and great-nieces?" Robert clapped Lee on the shoulder and wandered into the den.

Another car pulled up and Amanda saw the boys climb out of the Lightners' car. "Well, here come the boys," she said as she walked outside to help them bring their things in.

"Mom, those hills were gnarly!" Phillip said as they walked in.

"Uncle Robert, when did you get here?" Jamie greeted as he saw his great-uncle on the couch with Katie.

Amanda smiled at Lee. Their Christmas was getting better already. Aunt Lillian would be arriving later in the afternoon and the house would again be filled with family.

SMK SMK

Francine came out of her bedroom, suitcase in hand. "OK, I've packed for several days, including what I'm going to wear tomorrow for Christmas dinner. Now what?"

She and Ephraim had talked after Jonathan had left. He thought it was a good idea for her to come stay with him at least through Christmas Day, so that Jonathan couldn't ruin their first holiday together.

"Have you gotten presents for Amanda's family?" he asked, looking around her apartment.

"Oh my gosh!" Francine said, dropping her overnight case. "I don't have anything! I totally forgot! I meant to go this week, but we were so busy at work, and then I was so focused on last night's dinner! What am I going to do?"

Ephraim laughed and grabbed her arms. "It's OK. I've gotten the boys a couple of video games, so they're taken care of. I don't have anything for the girls, though. I have no idea what to get. We'll put your bags in my car, then we'll head to the mall. OK?"

Francine took a deep breath and agreed. "Let me call Amanda and make sure I know who all will be there. I don't want to leave anyone out."

A couple of hours later, Ephraim pulled into his apartment's parking garage. Francine had fallen asleep in the passenger seat, exhausted from the marathon shopping expedition. He gently shook her awake, saying, "Francine, we're home. Let's get this stuff up to my apartment."

"Sure," she agreed sleepily. She slowly got out of the car and grabbed a few of the bags. As they made their way to his apartment, she gave him a grin. While they'd been shopping, she'd come up with the perfect Christmas present for him, and she couldn't wait to give it to him.

They spent the afternoon wrapping the many presents they'd purchased and decorating the small Christmas tree Ephraim had purchased on the way home while she'd slept. Eventually, they'd sprawled on the couch, exhausted with the effort.

Ephraim handed Francine a glass of wine and smiled at her. "So, is this how you usually spend Christmas Eve?"

"Hardly," Francine laughed. "I usually choose one or two society soirees to attend, accompanied by some up and coming lawyer or diplomat. Christmas has never been that big a deal to me."

"I hope it is now," Ephraim said, giving her a smile.

"Honestly, this is the best Christmas Eve I've spent in a long time," she smiled back.

"So, I want to understand what the deal is with Stone," Ephraim began, putting his hand on hers. "If I'm going to help you get rid of him for good, I need to know why he thinks he can get you back so easily."

"Seriously?" Francine questioned. "I don't think it's a good idea."

"Francine, no secrets...remember? I'm not going to judge you by your past. I just want to know what hold he thinks he has over you," Ephraim promised.

"All right," Francine answered, "But, I can promise you, it's no fairy tale. I first met Jonathan when I was 20 and about to be a senior at Brown. He was an aide to the senator from Rhode Island and I was working as a congressional intern. He was dashing and debonair and everything I thought I wanted. We dated throughout that summer, then broke up when I went back to school. A few years later, though, we met again. I had just completed Station One and was going through my freshman classes. I thought it was love and, six months later, when he asked me to marry him, I was thrilled."

"So, what happened?" Ephraim questioned.

"My mother flew in, planned everything, and, right before the wedding, Lee brought me a note that had been delivered to the Agency. It said that he couldn't go through with it. He was confused about what he wanted and that I should move on without him. So, I did. I swore right then and there that I would never let any man take advantage of me."

"Oh, Francine," Ephraim whispered.

"Well, you know what happened next. He showed up several years later during that Brody case," Francine reminded Ephraim. "And, I was stupid enough to give him a second chance. I really thought he'd grown up. We'd both been so young the first time around and he...swept me off my feet."

"I remember," Ephraim muttered. Francine gave him a small smile and shook her head.

"So, as you know, we dated on and off for the next year and a half. Looking back, I think it had more to do with being jealous of what Lee had found than what I really felt for Jonathan, but I convinced myself that Jonathan was ‘the one'. I really thought we were headed for marriage and I thought I was ready for it."

"I thought you were going to marry him, too," Ephraim muttered. Francine gave him a sweet smile and he kissed her hand.

"Well, he asked me to in July of 1988 and I said yes...again. The next day I went to his apartment and found him with his secretary," Francine sighed. Ephraim gave her a confused look and she continued, "I found him...with...his secretary. That's when I forced him to admit that he'd been two-timing me for most of our relationship. I didn't take that well."

"Ooh," Ephraim said. "So that explains why you were such a terror afterwards."

Francine cringed. "Yeah, I'm really sorry I stuffed you into that closet."

"Water under the bridge," Ephraim smiled. "Thanks for telling me, though. I get it now. Every time Jonathan has shown interest in the past, you've gone back to him."

"Exactly," Francine muttered. "Am I an idiot or what?"

"No, you're not an idiot, Francine," Ephraim whispered. "You saw what you wanted to see and Stone knows how to charm you."

"Used to know how to charm me," Francine corrected. "He has zero chance now. What I felt for him is nothing compared to how I feel now. You see me for who I am, and he was more interested in who he wanted me to be. Jonathan is all about image. He really didn't care about me. He cared about what I could do for him."

"So, how do you want to play this? He seems pretty determined," Ephraim said.

"Jonathan always wants what he can't have. He's not going to go away that easily," Francine warned.

"No one is more determined than me, Francine. I waited for you for four years. Stone has nothing on me and I'm never going to let him hurt you again. Got it?" Ephraim grinned and pulled her closer.

Francine smiled and lifted herself to where she was eye to eye with him. "Got it." She leaned forward and gave him a long, slow kiss, whispering, "I think story time is over, don't you?"

"Oh, I think so," Ephraim drawled, pulling her down onto him. "Let's move on to playtime."

SMK SMK

Amanda and Lee's family sat in the living room, gazing at the Christmas tree. They'd just returned from a lovely Christmas Eve service and were ready to open their one Christmas present of the evening.

Amanda looked at Lee, then her mother. Seeing their unspoken agreement, she looked at the boys. "Fellas, we know that this isn't the Christmas we all thought it would be this year. It's been a rough couple of months. All of us wish more than anything that your father and Carrie were still with us, but we can't live in the past. We are going to continue to honor them each and every day, but they would want us to move forward."

Phillip looked at his brother, then responded, "We know, Mom."

"I know and I'm so proud of both of you. So, Lee and I would like to give you a present...from your father and Carrie," Amanda continued, taking a deep breath. The boys exchanged glances, then looked back at their parents, eyes shining. "Phillip, we are giving you Carrie's car. You passed your driver's exam in October, and we've decided that you've proven you're responsible enough to handle your own car, so...here are the keys."

"Are you kidding me?" Phillip whooped. "My own car? Wicked!" He jumped up and gave his mother a bone crushing hug, then did the same to his stepdad.

"Now, we expect you to be responsible with the car, and to help us out with errands and stuff. You're sixteen, though, and we feel you've earned it," Lee cautioned.

"Thanks a lot! Wow! My own car!" Phillip sat down in a daze.

"Jamie, we also wanted you to have something of your father's," Amanda continued, looking at her younger son. "So, we're giving you your father's home computer."

Jamie's face lit up and he let out a jubilant, "Yes!"

"We've had our tech guys go over it and it's in good working order. We expect you to be responsible with it as well, and to let your brother use it for school reports if he needs to," Lee added.

"Boys, your father loved you more than anything and we believe this is what he would've wanted," Amanda finished, tears coming to her eyes.

"What about Sarah, Mom?" Phillip asked.

"We set aside several pieces of Carrie's jewelry to have when she's older," Lee shared.

Soon, other presents were passed out and everyone had a good time. Katie especially liked ripping paper off of several presents.

As the evening wore on, Phillip asked if he could take the car for a ride around the block and Jamie went with him. Dotty took Lillian to her apartment for the night and Robert headed to the nursery where a cot had been set up. Amanda and Lee sat with a sleeping girl in each of their arms.

Amanda looked over at Lee, who cradled Katie in his arms. "Are you ready to put the girls to bed?"

"Sure...are their beds ready?"

"Mother and I set up the portable crib and the playpen up when we got home. We'll put Katie in the crib and Sarah in the playpen, otherwise Sarah will try to climb out," Amanda answered.

They walked up the stairs together and placed the girls in their temporary beds. Amanda gave a deep sigh and turned to Lee. "I think it went OK tonight, don't you?"

"Oh, definitely," Lee answered, gathering her into his arms. "I think a computer and a car were steps in the right direction."

"Oh yeah," Amanda laughed. "That sure put smiles on their faces. You don't think it's too much?"

"No, I don't," Lee answered. "They're going to think of Joe and Carrie every time they use those things. It'll help them move past the grief. They're still just kids and they need to get to where they can think of their father without getting so sad."

"I agree," Amanda whispered. "We better head back downstairs to lock up when they get back."

"Wait a second," Lee said, pulling her closer. "Merry Christmas." He leaned down and began to kiss her. She moved in closer and deepened the kiss. A few moments later, they pulled apart reluctantly, glancing over at their daughters.

"Merry Christmas, Lee."