- Text Size +

Title: Deeper Than Love

Author: Rita (dittypiddler)

Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King belong to Shoot the Moon Productions and Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.

Notes: Dave Koz made his debut in 1990, but since this is fiction, we’ll pretend it was 1986. I have no rights to Dave Koz or his music. That sounds a little weird, but you know what I mean.

Genre: Slightly AU

Timeframe: Third season, immediately following J. Edgar’s Ghost.

Thanks to Cheryl and NancyY for the beta, and to Miriam, for betaing an earlier version of this ditty.

Rating: PG-13

Feedback: Always.

Deeper Than Love

Lee wiped his sweaty palms on his pants and tried to calm the butterflies in his stomach. ‘Why the hell am I so nervous? It’s just Amanda, for Pete’s sake. Yeah, right, Stetson. Just Amanda. Maybe if you tell yourself that enough times, you’ll start to believe it.’ He straightened his tie and rang the doorbell.

The door opened--and his jaw dropped. "WOW." His breath whooshed from his chest, as though he’d just finished a five-mile run. At least his voice was still in working order.

"Well, thank you. A ‘wow’ is always appreciated. You look very handsome, as usual. Come in while I get my things." She smiled and held the door for him.

While Amanda collected her shawl and purse, he schooled his features into a practiced urbane expression, hoping to mask how bowled-over he really felt. ‘Red is definitely her color. Oh, man. She looks positively lethal in that dress.’ He had never seen her look more beautiful, or more desirable.

"Is that for me?" She pointed to the single red rose he held.

"What?" Lee stared at his hands. "Oh." Real smooth, Stetson. His debonair mask had failed him this time.

Gathering his wits, he chuckled and held out the flower. "Yeah, this is for you. But it’s not nearly as beautiful as you are." A faint tinge of pink stained her cheeks. The smallest compliment always brought that endearing blush to her face. He made a mental note to tell her more often how beautiful she looked. She deserved to hear it every day. And she deserved all the lov--

No, he wasn’t ready for that word.

"Thank you. It’s lovely. I’ll just put it in some water." He dawdled behind her to the kitchen, his eyes taking in every curve as she moved to the sink. She filled a small vase with water, placed the rose in it, and fingered the petals. "It really is lovely. That was very sweet of you." She turned and smiled at him.

When he looked into her dusky eyes, his heart pounded harder than the bass drum in a "Rolling Stones" album. Geeze, what was wrong with him tonight? Over the years, he’d enjoyed an abundance of exotic and sexy women. But no woman had ever made him feel so completely unhinged.

Fiddling with the knot of his tie, he swallowed hard and cleared his throat. "Well, I . . . I guess we, uh . . .we should go. Our date . . . ahh . . . I mean, the . . . um . . . the reservations . . . they’re for eight. Eight o’clock. You know . . . at Spencer’s." Damn it. He hadn’t stammered like that since the Colonel caught him making out with Cheryl Van Duzer in the backseat of her father’s ’65 Chevy.

As Amanda walked slowly toward him, the dress swirling around her long, shapely legs, he couldn’t move. His feet felt rooted to the floor.

"Are you feeling all right?" She placed a cool hand on his forehead. "You look a bit flushed."

The familiar spark he had come to expect from her touch kindled and flared, sending a wave of disturbing emotions streaming through his mind and body. He sucked in a sharp breath. ‘Easy, Stetson. Don’t trip over your libido.’ He lifted her hand from his face and kissed her palm. "I’m fine. Shall we go?"

Lee followed her to the living room and picked up her shawl from the couch. As he draped the flimsy layer of black lace over her shoulders, he let his hand brush against her hair and quelled the impulse to bury his fingers in her soft curls. His hands lingered longer than necessary, savoring the warmth of her skin through the thin material. The enchanting scent of her perfume filled his senses.

‘Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered.’ Sinatra could have been describing Lee’s emotions when he sang that song. He gave himself a mental shake and handed her the red evening bag. Placing his hand on the small of her back, he guided her to the door.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Mmmm. That was delicious." Amanda leaned back in her chair and licked her lips.

As the tip of her tongue glided over her lips, he cleared his dry throat and took a sip of wine, trying to keep his eyes off the gentle swell of her breasts under the low-cut dress. ‘I wonder if her skin could possibly feel as soft as it looks.’

"Yeah. Spencer’s is very good. I’m glad you suggested it."

Amanda laughed lightly. "Well, I did sort of blackmail you into bringing me here." She gave him a teasing smile, her dark eyes twinkling.

"Oh, you can blackmail me any time." He grinned back at her. "Any time at all."

A noisy group jostled their table as they crossed the room, and he was suddenly aware that the restaurant was filling up with the after-theater crowd. "Look, Amanda, this place is getting kinda crowded. It’s still early. What do you say we go back to my place? I have a bottle of wine that I’ve been saving for a special occasion, and that new Dave Koz album we were talking about the other day. You know, the one you said you liked so much."

"Really? I’ve been dying to hear that record again. The music store was all sold out by the time I got there. Let’s go."

Lee motioned to the waiter to bring the check. After paying the bill, he slipped his arm around her waist, and they strolled through the parking lot to his car. He opened the door and helped her in, admiring her long legs as she swung them into the ‘Vette. When he slid into the driver’s seat, she reached for her seat belt. The movement caused the shawl to slip off her shoulder, giving him a glimpse of creamy skin along the curve of her breast. He gulped. How was he was going to keep his hands off her tonight?

As they drove through Georgetown, Amanda seemed unaware of his inner turmoil, rambling on about Phillip’s soccer game and the latest escapades of her mother. Lee listened with an indulgent smile. When had her rambling ceased to annoy him and begun to captivate him? The sound of her voice was a soothing melody he would never tire of hearing. One he wanted to hear upon waking and falling asleep, as well as in his dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~

When Lee held his apartment door open for Amanda, she brushed against him, sending pleasant shivers all over his body. After tossing his keys on the table, he walked toward the bar. He glanced at the phone and unobtrusively moved the ringer switch to the off position. He wanted no interruptions tonight. The bedroom phone was always turned off. He never wanted any interruptions in there.

"Make yourself comfortable. I’ll get us some wine." Watching her settle herself on the couch and cross her legs, he almost stumbled over the barstool. The dress rose a few inches above her knees. Lee tore his eyes away and poured two glasses of wine with unsteady hands. He drew in a ragged breath and tried to control his raging hormones. ‘Oh, man. When did she start to affect me like this?’

Was it just yesterday Amanda had only been his friend and partner, or was it a lifetime ago? Without a doubt, she was so much more than that now. He pulled himself together and carried the wineglasses to the couch.

"Here you go." He handed her a glass of wine and sat down beside her, as close as he dared. Every nerve in his body tingled with awareness.

"Thank you." She lifted the glass to her lips and took a sip. "Mmmm. You were right about this wine. It’s delicious."

When her tongue flicked out to lick her lips, Lee thought he would dissolve in a pool of desire. Never had he felt such intense longing for a woman. ‘Get a grip, Stetson. This is Amanda. She’s not just any woman.’ He had to put some distance between them, before he completely lost control.

"Uh, why don’t I put on that record I was telling you about?" Setting his glass on the coffee table, he rose abruptly and walked to the stereo. When he glanced down at the album, the title of the first song seemed uncannily appropriate. He started the music and turned back to the couch. Amanda looked so delectable sitting there; he felt an irresistible need to hold her in his arms. He didn’t try to resist any longer.

"Dance with me?" Lee held out his hand, and she accepted it. He led her to the middle of the room and pulled her into his arms. His mind reeled, from the enticing scent of her hair and the warmth of her body, as they swayed to the music. Unconsciously, his hand wandered up her bare back, caressing her smooth skin. He placed Amanda’s right hand on his chest, just over his heart, and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close.

She looked up at him with a gentle smile and laid her head on his shoulder. He nestled his face in her hair and drew her even closer, marveling at how well she fit against his body. ‘She belongs in my arms.’ As the song ended, his gaze drifted to her lips. ‘It’s now or never, Stetson. No guts, no glory.’

"Amanda."

"Yes?"

"I’m going to kiss you."

"You are?"

"Yes . . . I am."

"Oh."

Lee trailed his fingers down her cheek and under her chin. Lifting her face, he lowered his head and brushed his lips against hers. He drew back slightly and looked into her eyes to gauge her reaction. She smiled, and then her hands slid up his lapels to rest on his shoulders. His heart leaped when he felt her arms creep around his neck, her hand splay out in his hair. A shudder coursed through his body as she pulled his head down to her.

A low groan rumbled deep in his chest. He tasted her lips, and then moved his mouth slowly across her face and down the column of her neck. When she tilted her head, his eager lips latched onto her throat, feeling her pulse flutter. Lee gave in to desire, losing himself in her, as his lips caressed the delicate skin of her shoulder before nibbling his way across her cheek. His tongue skimmed over her lips, and Amanda opened her mouth to him. He explored every crevice, savoring the taste and texture of her. She responded without reservation, and he pressed her slender body against him, while he hungrily devoured her mouth. His whole being ached to make her part of him. He needed her. He loved her.

They both jumped when the female voice shattered the intimate moment.

"Hey, lover. It’s Crystal. I know you said you were busy tonight, but what about tomorrow night, huh? I’m in the mood for some fab loving. You know, baby, the kind only you can give. I can’t wait to feel your lips and hands all over my--"

Amanda froze in his arms at the sound of the whiny voice. Then she pulled away from his embrace and quickly stepped back. She lowered her eyes to the floor, a shadow crossing her face.

Lee crossed the room in three long strides and viciously jabbed the stop button on the machine, cutting off the voice. ‘Damn it all to hell!’ Why, God, why had he forgotten to turn off the answering machine? When he turned and saw the look on Amanda’s face, his heart plummeted to his shoes.

She turned away and picked up her purse, refusing to look at him. "I should be going, Lee. It’s getting late." Her voice was barely above a whisper.

"Amanda, no. Wait. Please." He was at a loss for words, but he couldn’t let her leave like this. "You don’t understand. I don’t want . . ."

"You don’t owe me any explanations, Lee. I’d just really like to go home now, please." She walked toward the door, still not meeting his eyes.

His shoulders sagged in defeat. "All right. I’ll take you home." Heaving a heavy sigh, he picked up his keys from the table and followed her to the door. He paused and glared at the blinking red light on the answering machine. He could swear it was mocking him. ‘That does it. I’m getting my number changed, first thing in the morning.’ Maybe it was time to think about a new apartment, too. With his eyes fixed on the floor, he trudged to the elevator.

Her body rigid, Amanda stood staring at the elevator doors, punching her finger on the button. When he glanced at her grim profile, he winced and rammed his fingers through his hair. His heart felt like a fifty-pound anvil in his chest, and his stomach churned as if he’d just downed a pint of bad whiskey.

~~~~~~~~~~

During the drive to Arlington, Amanda didn’t say a word. Lee kept glancing at her, but her eyes remained focused on the passenger window. He could only imagine what she was thinking. Every time he tried to break the silence, the words stuck in his throat. He pulled up in front of her house and stopped the car.

She immediately unfastened her seat belt and reached for the door handle. In desperation, he grabbed her arm and turned her to face him, forcing her to look at him. "Amanda, wait. There’s something I want you to know." He fumbled for the words while she waited silently. "This wasn’t the way I wanted our evening to end. It shouldn’t have ended this way, and I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, and . . . I just want you to know that I’m going to look for a new apartment. Start over, you know. And, in the meantime, I’m getting a new phone number. Only a few people will know it. The Agency, of course, will have to know, but no one else except . . . you."

He cursed himself for his ineptitude. ‘Why can’t I just tell her how I feel?’

She rewarded him with a small smile. "I think I understand, Lee. I guess I should, um, be going in now."

"All right." Lee stepped onto the pavement and hurried around to the passenger side of the car. He opened the door and extended his hand to her.

After a brief hesitation, she allowed him to help her out of the car.

He tentatively slipped his arm around her waist and walked her to the door.

Amanda groped in her purse for her keys, then unlocked the door and turned to him. "Well, thank you for dinner, Lee. It was . . . nice." She looked up at him with a shy smile.

Was that all this evening had been to her? Just . . . nice? No, he had to believe it meant more. When he’d kissed her, he had felt her tremble in his arms. Her expressive eyes always revealed her emotions. He hadn’t fantasized the passion he’d seen burning in their depths. And something else. Something . . . enigmatic.

"It was better than nice, Amanda. It was wonderful." He smiled, hoping his voice had conveyed the tenderness he found so difficult to express. Looking deep into her eyes, he silently begged her to read the sincerity in his own eyes. Then he lifted her hands to his lips and kissed each one.

Amanda gave him a warmer smile and went inside.

Shoving his hands in his pockets, Lee walked slowly back to the ‘Vette.

He sat in the car and waited until he saw the light go on in her bedroom. More than anything in the world, he wished he had the right to follow her up those stairs. When he saw the light go out, he started the car and drove away.

~~~~~~~~~~

Lee entered his apartment and threw his keys on the entry table. Scowling at the still blinking red light on his answering machine, he felt his anger rising. ‘It’s my own damn fault. God, talk about your past coming back to haunt you.’

He strode to the machine and punched the erase button. He was erasing Crystal, and all the women in his little black books, from his life.

Pacing the length of the room, he laughed bitterly at the irony of his predicament; he hadn’t dated Crystal, or any woman, in months. When she’d called the office today, he had evaded her overtures, feeling no desire to renew their acquaintance. There was only one woman he wanted, but how could he convince her of that after tonight’s fiasco?

After pouring himself a stiff drink, he grabbed the bottle of Scotch and slumped onto the couch, blindly cramming the bottle between the cushions. God, he hadn’t known this kind of misery since Dorothy . . .

He swallowed the liquor in one gulp and smashed his fist into the sofa cushion. As he reached for the bottle, he spotted something black draped over the couch and picked it up. In her haste to leave, Amanda had forgotten her shawl. He lifted it to his face, closed his eyes, and inhaled her lingering scent.

"Oh, Amanda," he groaned. Lee twirled the glass in his fingers, listening to the chink of the ice cubes, then poured another shot and leaned back against the couch. Sipping his drink, he did some hard thinking. He had to prove himself to Amanda--prove to her that she could trust him with her heart, as well as her life. She was the best thing in his life, and he’d be a fool to ever let her go. But he had to take it slowly. What was it she had said at Agnes Snow’s apartment?

When you’re talking about love, you have to be patient.

‘Very well, my Amanda. I can be patient. I can have the patience of an oyster if that’s what it takes.’

Still holding her shawl, he pushed himself to his feet and walked over to the stereo. He placed the album back in its sleeve, glancing at the song title with a rueful smile. "Deeper Than Love" indeed.

The End