- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The Wicky Writing Challenge – Christmas--Sunday November 1, 2009.The Challenge: This month we are setting a Christmas challenge. We have two choices for you. We have 20 words for you and you’ll need to use at least TEN of them, OR we have a line for you to use. The words are: ICE, COLD, HEART, UNWRAP, TEDDY, STOCKING, MISTLETOE, SCROOGE, SNOWFLAKE, BRANDY, RIBBONS, EGGNOG, EYELASH, TINSEL KISS, SCARF, ANGEL, RED, BOWS, ASSIGNMENT. The line is FLAMES DANCED IN THE DARKNESS CREATING A WORLD OF MAGIC.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you enjoy this story. My brother and I make this trek every year. This year is the first that we’ve missed in the past 20 years. On the bottom of the page, you will find some links to the places in the story.

Lee wandered around the lobby of the famed Waldorf Astoria hotel, killing time as he waited for Amanda to join him. She’d dashed up to her room to phone her family, before they enjoyed a romantic night on the town.

They’d finally wrapped up a difficult, weeklong ASSIGNMENT and he had planned an evening of romance, starting with dinner in the hotel’s restaurant, followed by dancing in the celebrated Rainbow Room. He wandered over to the entrance of the bistro and peered inside.

A nice crowd of people occupied most of the tables in the elegant dinning room. Wood paneling and strategically placed plants gave each table a feeling of isolation, creating an intimate atmosphere. The tinkling of crystal and the ping of flatware against fine china echoed a sweet counterpoint to the soft jazz spilling out of hidden speakers, enhancing the room’s romantic ambiance.

He backed away from the restaurant and walked back toward the elevator banks. An enormous Christmas tree proudly stood in the center of the lobby. White lights shimmered and danced off the TINSEL and, instead of ornaments, RED BOWS nestled on each branch. Gold RIBBONS draped from the treetop to the last branch. It looked festive, but he preferred the more traditionally decorated tree, like the one Amanda always had.

The elevator chime pinged, drawing his attention to the corridor just as the doors slid open. A throng of people spilled into the hallway, Amanda among them. She glided down the hall toward him, his very own ANGEL. He couldn’t keep the smile from blooming across his face.

She reached his side and kissed him gently. He snaked his arm around her waist, tucking her close to his side. “Everything okay at home?”

She smiled up at him. “Everything is fine. Philip got a ‘B’ for his science project on the human HEART.”

“A ‘B’? That’s terrific.” He squeezed her waist. “So, ready to paint the town red?”

She lowered her head, and shyly looked up at him through her lashes. “Well, would you mind terribly if we do something different? Mother asked me if I had seen any of the holiday decorations. I told her we were too busy working. She said ‘all work and no play’, and you know how she can get. Besides, I’ve always promised myself that, if I ever had the chance to visit New York at Christmas time, I would walk along Fifth Avenue and see the holiday displays.”

It wasn’t what he had had in mind but, if it made Amanda happy, he’d walk all the way back to DC. “I’d love to show you the decorations.” He helped her on with her coat and wrapped her SCARF around her neck.

After buttoning his own coat, he held out his arm. She rested her hand in the crook of his elbow and they walked out of the hotel into the wintry night.

The temperature hovered near freezing and their breaths came out in white puffs. Since there was no wind, it was COLD but not nearly as frigid as the thermostat indicated. The cloudless sky showed off the twinkling stars and the jolly, full moon.

While they waited in line for a taxi, a hansom cab pulled up and discharged its passengers. Lee stepped up to the driver and, after a bit of haggling, hired him to be their personal tour guide for the evening.

After handing Amanda into the coach, he snuggled up next to her and tossed a heavy plaid blanket over their legs. They headed north along Park Avenue to 59th Street, then turned east onto Lexington Avenue, stopping in front of Bloomingdales. They exited the carriage, then took their place in line to peer at the windows.

This year, the store windows depicted different children’s Christmas songs. Frosty the Snowman, complete with corncob pipe, button nose, and coal eyes and leading a group of children around town, dominated one window. The familiar voice of Gene Autry singing about the frolicking snowman played in the background. Of course, Amanda knew the names of all the fictional children and proceeded to regal him with the tale of Karen and her pal, Frosty.

The next window displayed a family’s living room. An easy chair and ottoman sat next to a fireplace. The family dog snoozed on a braided rug in front of the hearth. Santa stood next to a towering pine tree, his hands laden with gifts while “Mom” planted a KISS on his cheek. A towhead boy of about five sat on the staircase peering at the couple through the spindles of the handrail. Burl Ives’ rich baritone filled the air with the classic “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”.

His chest tightened and he vaguely remembered tiptoeing down the stairs to see Santa in his living room. He’d raced back up to the stairs and dove into his bed tossing the covers over his head pretending to be asleep, lest Father Christmas not leave any presents for him. Now, he knew that his dad had played Santa for him. Maybe, one day, he’d have a chance to dress as Santa for his child.

After a few minutes, Amanda tugged on his arm, and they left the magical world behind. Settling once again in the coach, they rode west on 59th Street until they reached the intersection on 5th Avenue.

After paying the driver the fare, Lee gave him a healthy tip and dismissed him for the evening. Amanda wanted to walk, and he wanted to be alone with her when she saw what anchored the holiday displays.

After removing her glove and stuffing it in his pocket, he slid his glove off and shoved it in the same pocket. He loved to feel her soft skin next to his. Hand in hand, they walked two blocks south. Right before they turned the corner, he halted her. “Close your eyes.”

“Lee?” she giggled.

“Trust me. Close your eyes.”

She smiled at him and then lowered her eyelids. Carefully, he steered her around the corner of 57th Street onto 5th Avenue. He turned to face her so he could see her face. “Okay, you can open your eyes now.”

Her lashes raised and she looked at him puzzled. Then her eyes brightened and a radiant smile bloomed across her face.

“Oh my gosh,” she whispered. “It’s absolutely beautiful.”

Still looking at her sparkling eyes he agreed, “You sure are.”

“Leeee, I meant the SNOWFLAKE.”

“That’s pretty, too. You know that’s the UNICEF snowflake. It symbolizes a beacon of hope, peace, and compassion for vulnerable children around the world. Sixteen thousand Baccarat crystal prisms form the shape. Come on, there’s a lot more to see.”

They continued to walk down the street. Amanda looked over her shoulder every few feet. Steeling one more look at the crystal chandelier.

Block after block, they walked stopping to see the exquisite jewelry displayed in Tiffany’s, the art-deco tree in the lobby of Trump Towers, and the antiques displayed by Bergdorf Goodman.

He bought a bag of warm chestnuts from a street vendor and they ate them while they traveled down 5th Avenue. He loved the smooth, creamy flesh of the nut. He had to remember to buy another bag- he really enjoyed eating them with a glass of BRANDY.

Before he knew it, they’d walked all the way to St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Angelic voices of the choir drifted out to the sidewalk whenever someone opened one of the massive church doors. The marble steps were slick and he gripped the handrail tightly while they ascended the steps into the church.

Reverently, they walked up and down the aisles, admiring the stained-glass windows and sculptures of saints along the pews. Amanda knelt at the altar railing in front of the Nativity and bowed her head in silent prayer. He took this moment to thank God for the presence of Amanda in his life.

After leaving the church, Lee steered her toward Rockefeller Center. She gasped when she spotted the street full of angels heralding in the holidays, framing the gigantic Christmas tree. Excitement danced in her eyes and she practically skipped down the street for a closer look.

The crowd was enormous, and he was afraid the throng would separate them. He laced his fingers with Amanda’s, and then tugged her arm closer to his chest, hanging on to her tightly. Wading through the masses, they finally reached the railing surrounding the skating rink two-levels below the street.

The ICE held about fifty people of varying skill level. One young girl executed a perfect scratch-spin while the couple next to her laughed and slid along the slick surface, falling repeatedly. A small boy hugged the railing as he shuffled his feet along.

  They watched the antics for a few moments before squeezing back through the throng. A street vendor halted their progress and asked them if they would like to have their picture taken in front of the tree.

The photographer posed them so the tree was over Lee’s left shoulder.

They snuggled close, Amanda wrapping her arms around his waits.

The flash exploded.

After Lee blinked a few times to clear away the spots, he handed the vendor the ten-dollar fee in exchange for the Polaroid photo. Their image blossomed on the small square.

“Wow, this came out great.”

  “Oh, Lee, our first Christmas photo,” Amanda sighed.

The crowd surged, knocking into Amanda. He tightened his grip, steadying her before slipping the photo into his jacket pocket. “I guess we’d better keep moving.”

Once they passed Radio City Music Hall, the crowd thinned out. They continued down 5th Avenue until they reached 44th Street. They turned left and walked west to where 7th Avenue and Broadway met.

People poured out of the numerous theatres packing the streets of Times Square, a sea of humanity ebbing and flowing in every direction. Walking was difficult. He tugged Amanda onto a side street and under a green awning. The sign proclaimed, “John’s Pizzeria--the very best pizza in New York City and beyond”.

“What do you say- wanna try a slice while we wait for the crowd to thin out a bit?”

“Sounds like a good idea, Lee.”

The hostess ushered them to a table under the rotunda, a breathtaking, stained-glass dome. The restaurant, housed in an old church, still held some of the original décor, hardwood floors, and murals on the walls. Two, brick ovens stood on either side, warming the restaurant as well as cooking the pizzas. A second level seating area was set up in what was once the choir loft.

They enjoyed a glass of EGGNOG while they waited for the waiter to bring the pizza.  A crispy, thin-crusted confection with fresh mozzarella and tomato sauce sat on a high tray. They dug into it with gusto. Before he knew it, they’d sat at the table for two hours and consumed the entire pie.

After turning down dessert, Lee paid the check, and then they headed back out into the winter night. Times Square was still packed, but now it was organized chaos instead of the pell-mell confusion of earlier.

Hand in hand, they walked along the lighted streets, marveling at the theater marquees. Amanda stopped dead in her tracks when she spotted the flagpole where the giant ball would descend to ring out the old year and ring in the new. “It looks so different in person than it does on the television. This year, when we watch the ball drop, I’ll remember standing right here with you.”

“I’ll remember the look in your eyes for the rest of my life,” he said, then kissed her. Hooting and whistling from passing pedestrians intruded on the moment and he stepped away, breaking the kiss. “Come on, let’s get moving. There is still one more place I want to show you.”

“Where are we going?”

“Macy’s, of course. No holiday window viewing is complete without seeing Macy’s display.”

They cut along Broadway down to 34th Street. An ocean of people pooled outside of the world-famous department store. He and Amanda took their place at the end of the queue and inched their way to the windows. They finally reached the 6th Avenue windows. Each display was a self-contained world of traditional holiday scenes featuring the same person.

The first scene showed an adorable little girl of about four, clutching a TEDDY bear in one hand and hanging her Christmas STOCKING with the other. Next, the girl was a little older and this time she was kissing her beau under the MISTLETOE. Finally, the third window displayed the same pair as a married couple with a family. The wife sat in a chair, reading “A Christmas Carol” and showing a picture of SCROOGE to a small child on her lap. The husband sat on the floor and helped his son UNWRAP a present.

The line flowed around the corner on to 34th Street. Here, scenes from the famous movie “Miracle on 34th Street” decorated the windows. Lee had never watched the movie, so he had no idea what the scenes represented. A man standing in his living room smoking a pipe, a mother and daughter looking out a window at Santa in his sleigh, and a newsboy hawking the latest edition of the Herald Tribune, made up the three window displays.

They walked back along 6th Avenue looking for a cab. “I really enjoyed looking at all the decorations. I’m glad you suggested it.”

“I had fun, too. Which one was your favorite?”

“I don’t think I could pick just one. I loved them all, except for the last one. The display was festive, but I never saw the movie so I had no frame of reference.”

“You’ve never watched Miracle on 34th Street?”

He could hear the shock in her voice. “No.”

“We’ll have to fix that. Mother and the boys and I watch it every year. It’s a great movie. You see, Kris Kringle is indignant to find that the person assigned to play Santa in the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is intoxicated. When he complains to the event director, she persuades Kris to take his place. He does such a fine job that he is hired to be the Santa for Macy's flagship New York City store on 34th Street.”

A cab pulled up to the curb and they settled inside. All the while, Amanda continued to tell him about the plot of the movie.

“Kris tells one shopper to go to another store for a fire engine for her son that Macy's doesn't have. She is so impressed she tells the head of the toy department, that she will become a loyal customer. Kris later informs another mother that archrival Gimbels has better skates for her daughter. Of course, Kris believes he is the real Santa Claus and eventually Macy’s fires him, thinking he’s crazy. I won’t tell you any more, you’ll just have to watch it for yourself.”

By this time, they’d arrived back at the hotel. Lee paid the fare, and then escorted Amanda inside the building. “Would you like to go to the bar for a nightcap?”

Amanda pondered the question for a bit. “There is one other thing I promised myself I’d do here in New York.”

“Oh yeah, what’s that?”

“This.” She stood on tiptoes, bit his chin and tugged him to the elevator.

  End.
Chapter End Notes:
http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/usa_41883.html http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmassights/l/bl_xmaswindows.htm http://manhattan.about.com/od/newyorkcityholidayguide/ig/2006-Rockefeller-Center-Tree/Rockefeller-Center-Tree.--bK.htm http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm