- Text Size +

Chapter Two                                                                                                                            Tuesday, November 16, 1989

Magda Petrak had done very well for herself in the five years since she’d defected from Hungary. Her dress shop had become one of the top bridal shops in the DC area and many of DC’s elite society wore her gowns. As Amanda and Francine entered the store, they saw several brides in the back of the store with some of Magda’s employees showing them various dresses. Another lady stood behind the counter, walking over to Francine as soon as she saw them.

“May I help you?” the clerk inquired with a smile. She did a quick double take when she saw Francine, but remained professional.

“We’re here to see Magda Petrak. Is she available?” Francine responded, looking around to see if she could spot her.

“Ms. Petrak is in her office. May I tell her who is here to see her?”

“Please tell her Francine Desmond and Amanda Stetson. I’m sure she’ll be happy to see us,” Amanda answered. The clerk nodded and headed to the back of the shop. A few minutes later, Magda came out with a big smile on her face.

“Amanda, Francine, it is so good to see you,” she gushed as she walked up to them.

Amanda smiled and answered, “Looks like you’re doing very well, Magda. I’ve been hearing great things about your store.”

Magda shrugged and said, “It is good. I am very lucky. So, are you here for a dress? I have good discount for such good friends.”

Amanda noticed a quick, pained expression flash across Francine’s face as she turned away. Quickly, she responded, “Actually, we’re hoping you can help us out. We’re in charge of some festivities with some of your former friends. Think we could go somewhere to discuss this privately?”

Magda nodded and led them to her private office. She invited the ladies to sit as she closed the door. “So, tell me how I can help.”

“Well,” Francine began. “As I’m sure you already know, Hungary transitioned to democracy about a month ago. In order to welcome the new government, ours is hosting a delegation from Hungary’s new president. We are in charge of security. What we’d like you to do is go over this list of names and see if anyone stands out as someone we should…watch out for…if you get my drift.”

Magda smiled. “I see…you are afraid that some of my former comrades may be passing themselves off as capitalists. Yes, I would be happy to help. I can’t tell you how happy it made my family to see my country become free. Mara is talking of traveling back to Budapest…I don’t know if we should do that so soon. But, it would be wonderful.”

“I’m sure it would be good to go back home to visit,” Amanda responded. “We really appreciate your help with this. Can you have it done by tomorrow morning?”

“I will have it for you tonight. Why don’t you drop by around 6? The shop will be closed and everyone will have gone. I will have it for you by then,” Magda assured them.

“I’ll be here,” Francine agreed. “Thanks, Magda, for doing this.”

“You are quite welcome,” Magda answered.

SMK SMK

Meanwhile, Lee and Ephraim were meeting with the aide to Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Péter Várkonyi in order to plan for security.“Mr. Balázs, we need to have some idea of where the delegation plans to hold these balls,” Lee exclaimed. So far, the meeting was not going well. János Balázs was not forthcoming on any details. “I am meeting with Mr. Szabó tomorrow, and he will expect me to have a security plan in place. Now, where are the balls going to be held?”

“Mr. Stetson, if you please, we are most capable of handling security. You are not needed,” Balázs retorted.

“Sir,” Ephraim interjected. “I understand that the Embassy wants to provide their own security. We are just trying to work with you, especially since our own dignitaries will be attending. Now, can you please work with us?”

Lee and Ephraim glared at the aide, who appeared to be shrinking in his chair. Finally, the man cleared his throat and responded, “I will show you the ballroom. That is all. You may figure the rest out on your own.” He stood up in a huff and ushered them to a large ballroom located on the ground floor. “Is this, how you say, good enough?”

“We’ll need to go over the room, to check out all entryways and windows,” Lee retorted. The man stood there nervously, but didn’t stop them. Lee and Ephraim wandered about the room, taking notes. They noticed a balcony area in one corner that overlooked the entire ballroom. “Where does that lead?” Lee asked.

“That is attached to the Ambassador’s personal office,” Mr. Balázs huffed. “It is off limits to anyone else.”Lee gave a look to Ephraim. There was definitely something hinky about this guy. It was probably a good idea to just leave everything…for now. “Well,” Lee said. “I guess we’ve gotten all we’re going to get today. I’m sure we’ll be seeing you again, Mr. Balázs, very soon.”

With that, Lee and Ephraim walked out, leaving the agitated aide rendered speechless.

SMK SMK

After lunch, Lee and Amanda began working on the questions and suggestions they had for Béla Szabó. Amanda told Lee about their meeting with Magda, and Lee filled her in on the trip to the embassy.

“I really want you to meet this guy, Balázs, Amanda,” Lee shared. “There’s just something not right about him. I’d love to get your impression of him. Maybe we need to ask Magda about him as well.”

“I’ll let Francine know,” Amanda answered, looking over the list of embassy employees. She paused when she saw the current Ambassador’s curriculum vitae. “Lee, did you realize that the ambassador was the Minister of Foreign Affairs under the old regime?”

“You’re kidding, right?” Lee scoffed.“No, it’s right here in his CV…Minister of Foreign Affairs from 1983 until May of this year. I wonder if he was for the transition or not. And…even if he was…his aide might not have liked it. It’s worth looking into, don’t you think?” Amanda thought out loud.

Lee smiled. Amanda could always see things others might miss. “So, what do you think our next step is?”

“I think we should add the names of both the Ambassador and his aide to Magda’s list and have Francine add it to their background check list,” Amanda responded. “What else do you think we need to do?”

“I’m going to head over to State and make sure they’ve got everything lined up for the delegation meetings. Billy told me State called earlier with a status report. Looks like our main responsibility is going to be the ball the US is hosting at the Mellon Auditorium and the ball the Hungarians are hosting at their embassy,” Lee explained, showing her the notes from the trip to the embassy and the blueprints he’d received from the auditorium. “I’m not concerned about the Auditorium. Secret Service and I have already come up with a solid plan. The embassy is where I’m worried. Hopefully tomorrow we’ll be able to figure some things out.”

“OK,” Amanda smiled. “I’m going to look over Kelly’s work, then head home. I want to make a special dinner for Phillip, whether he makes the team or not. Meet you at home?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Lee grinned, pulling her close to him. He leaned in for a kiss, which she enthusiastically returned. After a few minutes, they broke apart and Amanda sighed. “Guess I better go before I’m late…maybe we can have an early evening tonight?” Lee whispered.

“Sounds like a plan,” Amanda teased, then gently pushed him out the door. “See you at home, Scarecrow.”

SMK SMK

Francine sat at her desk, staring at the various folders in front of her. She couldn’t stop thinking about that stupid invitation. Why had he sent it to her? It must have been to gloat. After all, she was the one who’d finally ended it last year and Jonathan could be pretty petty. “Ugh!” she exclaimed, pounding her desk.

“Everything OK?” Ephraim asked. He saw her glance up rapidly, as if angry at being caught. He couldn’t figure out what was going on with her today. She’d been growling at just about everyone, with the exception of Amanda.

“Why wouldn’t everything be OK? Do I look like I have something wrong with me?” Francine snapped. “Can’t I just get frustrated without you bugging me?”

“Sorry I said anything! How are things coming on the background checks? I’m just about through with my bunch,” Ephraim retorted.

“Well, of course you are, Beaman,” Francine groused. “You’re Mr. Perfect. You get everything done on time and in perfect order.”

“Hey,” Ephraim exclaimed. “I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but quit taking it out on me! I’ve been just as busy as you.”

Before Francine could answer, Kelly walked in the door. “Um, excuse me, but Amanda asked me to see if you had any leftover files for the vault. Also, um, Mr. Beaman, um, I need to see if you can show me where you’d like the computer manuals. We’re about to start on the library.”

“Sure, Kelly, I’ll be right there. I don’t think there are any files still in here, but I’ll check. Oh, and, please call me Ephraim…Mr. Beaman makes me sound like my father,” Ephraim responded with a smile. As Kelly left the room, Ephraim turned to Francine and said coldly, “I think I’ll stay in the computer room to finish up. That way I’ll be sure to keep everything on time and in perfect order.”

Francine stared blankly at him as he gathered some files and stormed out of the office.  Then, she sighed and got back to work on her files. She didn’t know why she’d jumped on him, but she regretted it. He hadn’t done anything wrong at all.

The afternoon went slowly for Francine, but finally it was time to leave and head to Magda’s. As she locked the office, she heard laughter coming from the library. She glanced in and saw Kelly seated at a table, with Ephraim perched on the table in front of her. Francine couldn’t tell what Kelly was saying, but Ephraim threw his head back and laughed heartily. Kelly started laughing, too, but stopped when she saw Francine standing in the door.

“Um, Ephraim, I’ve locked the office for the night…I’m going to head over to Magda’s for the list,” Francine stammered, unsure of why she felt so nervous.

“Fine,” Ephraim retorted with a cold look. He was obviously still angry by her outburst from earlier.

“OK, well, then…I guess I’m off,” Francine stammered again. Ephraim continued to stare at her. “Did you want to go with me…to see Magda, I mean.”

A look of confusion washed over Ephraim’s face. “Do you want me to go, Francine?” he questioned.

“Well, um, I guess so…I mean, we are partners, right?” Francine responded, trying to figure out what Ephraim was thinking. He stared at her for a long time, causing her to gulp spontaneously.

“OK,” Ephraim agreed with a sigh. “Let me put this stuff up and I’ll follow you in my car…unless you want to ride together?”

Francine looked at Kelly, who’d been staring silently at Ephraim the entire time. She really was an attractive woman, albeit a little young. What was she…20? “I think we should ride together…that way we can discuss it on the way back,” Francine decided.

Kelly looked a little crestfallen, which gave Francine a little twinge of pleasure.

“Fine,” Ephraim said. “Kelly, why don’t you call it a night? You’ve done outstanding work here.”

“Thanks so much, Ephraim. You made today a lot of fun! I hope we can continue it tomorrow,” Kelly gushed. Francine rolled her eyes, then flushed when she saw Ephraim watching her. Kelly grinned at Ephraim, then headed out the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Ephraim. Good night, Ms. Desmond.”

Ephraim waved goodbye, then said to Francine, “Give me a minute, will ya?” He headed out right behind Kelly. Francine stood there for a minute, then started to walk to the door.

Lee was walking by and saw Francine standing there. “Hey, Amanda just called. Phillip made the basketball team! She told me to see if you and Beaman wanted to come help us celebrate. She’s making Beef Stroganoff, Phillip’s favorite.”

“Uh, sure, Lee, I’d love to,” Francine responded blankly. “You’ll have to ask Ephraim yourself, though. I have no idea of his plans.”

“OK…” Lee said. “Well, just tell him for me. We’re eating at 6:30 and we’ll plan on both of you, all right?”

“Sure,” Francine answered. “See you later.” As Lee walked off, Kelly bounced past her, evidently coming from their office. Ephraim followed her out and locked the door, glancing up to see Francine gaping at him. He gave her a bemused look, then motioned for her to follow him out.

SMK SMK

After they met with Magda, Francine turned to Ephraim, who was driving to Arlington. “Ephraim, I’m really sorry for snapping at you earlier. I’ve just been in a rotten mood and it’s not your fault.”

“It’s OK, Francine. You know, you can always talk to me. I really don’t mind,” Ephraim responded. He really wanted to know what was going on with her. Lately, they’d seemed to be forging a really good relationship…until this morning when the old Francine seemed to have returned with a vengeance.

“I appreciate that,” she whispered. Ephraim glanced over at her, but she was facing the window, staring off into space. Pretty soon, they pulled up in front of Amanda’s house.

The dinner was delicious and everyone congratulated Phillip on making the team. Afterward, Phillip and Jamie headed into the den to watch TV and Dotty started cleaning the kitchen. Amanda and Lee took the girls and put them in their playpen in the living room and motioned for Francine and Ephraim to join them.

“So,” Amanda began. “Did Magda have anything interesting to share?”

“Well, it turns out most of the names on the list used to be part of the Communist government, but Magda said they were good people who were honest and reliable. She also said that the Ambassador was a decent man, but to watch out for his aide. She said he used to be a member of the Interior’s ‘security force’, which translates to the Hungarian version of the secret police. She also recognized the last name Kun from one of the delegation. Apparently, one of the men we dealt with back in ’84 had the same last name. She recommended we really look into him as the one we deported was pretty nasty,” Francine shared.

“Good work, Francine,” Lee praised. “So, tomorrow Amanda and I meet with Béla Szabó to make sure we’ve got everything covered. Why don’t the two of you focus on Kun and Balázs? At State today, we went over the security for the meetings and it’s solid. I really think our main problem area will be the ball at the Hungarian Embassy on Saturday. It’s the only place we’re unsure of, and Balázs is determined to keep us from getting anything ready in advance.”

Before anyone could say anything else, Katie pulled up on the side of the playpen and yelled, “Ba ba ba ba!” She then started making motorboat noises.

“Katie, do you want to come out and visit Aunt Francine?” Francine cooed as she walked over to her. “Ba ba!” Katie answered, then reached for Francine. Francine picked her up and carried her back to the couch. Katie started laughing and tried to grab Francine’s hair. Everyone started laughing with Katie, including Francine. Soon, Sarah wanted out as well, and the four adults passed an enjoyable evening playing with the two babies.