- Text Size +

Chapter Eight                                                                                                                       Sunday, November 19, 1989

Whirring and beeping noises filled the air as Ephraim opened his eyes. He blinked several times as he saw the stark whiteness of the ceiling and walls. He tried to lift up, but his body felt like it was weighed down by a Mack truck. As his head hit the pillow again, he exhaled loudly.

He heard a shuffling noise coming from the side of the room, but couldn’t figure out what the sound was. He slowly turned his head towards the sound, letting out a low moan as his head pounded from the movement. As his head came to rest, he saw a mass of blankets on an unfamiliar couch.

“Where…am…I…” he whispered, trying to raise his arm. As his eyes began to focus, he realized he was in a hospital room. He continued to stare at the blankets, then saw the mass move.

“Ephraim?” the mass said quietly. Ephraim blinked and realized that the mass of blankets was actually Francine. “Are you awake? Are you OK? Do I need to get the nurse?” As she said this, she threw the blankets off and rushed to his side.

“Francine?” he said. “What are you doing here? What happened?”

Francine smiled down at him. “You got yourself shot, Beaman. You’re at Galilee General and where else exactly should I be? You’re my partner and I thought we were in this together. Now, I need you to tell me…are you OK?”

Ephraim stared at her blankly. “Uh, my…head hurts a little and I feel like I was run over by a Mack truck. Did you spend the night here?”

“Where is that button?” Francine answered absently. “Oh, here it is. Now, I’m going to go over here and call Billy. He told me to let him now as soon as you were awake.” She put her hand on his cheek and let it linger for a moment, then turned away to grab the phone.

“Francine…you didn’t answer my…” Ephraim complained, but Francine waved her hand at him as she picked up the handset.

Ephraim turned his head slowly back towards the door and watched as a nurse came in. “Well, I see we’re finally awake, Mr. Beaman,” the nurse said cheerily. “Let’s check our vitals.”

While the nurse checked him over, Francine cast surreptitious looks at Ephraim and continued to talk with Billy. Once she hung up the phone, she walked over to the nurse and watched the inspection. The nurse had raised the bed into a sitting position and Ephraim felt a little more like himself, giving Francine a weak smile.

“Well, looks like we’re making progress, Mr. Beaman. Dr. Kelford will be in a little later to check on you,” the nurse confided. “Are you in any pain?”

“Yes, he is,” Francine answered for him. “He was complaining of a headache when he woke up.”

“That’s to be expected. I’ve got some pain medication for you. Do you think you can swallow a pill?” she asked Ephraim. Ephraim was staring at Francine as if she’d sprouted another head. “Sir?”

“Uh…yeah, I’m sure I can,” Ephraim answered distractedly.

“All right, here you go. If you’ll help him and let me know if he has any problems at all. I’ll be down the hall if you need me,” the nurse instructed Francine as she headed out the door.

“Francine…” Ephraim began.

“Here’s a glass of water…do you need me to hold it for you?” Francine asked. Ephraim slowly raised his hand up to grasp the water. “Open your mouth,” she instructed and placed the pill on his tongue. Ephraim slowly drank the water and grimaced as he swallowed the pill. “Good,” Francine soothed as she ran a hand over his head. “I’m sure you’ll start to feel better soon.”

As she started to walk away, he tried to grab her hand. “Francine…” he again tried to speak.

“I’ll be right back, Ephraim,” she said smoothly. “I’m just going to go freshen up and get a cup of coffee. I won’t be long.”

He watched her as she walked out of his room. What was going on? He thought to himself. Francine was definitely acting very differently. He took a deep breath and sighed.

SMK SMK

Francine walked back to Ephraim’s room ten minutes later, feeling even more nervous than she had the night before. His shooting had shaken every fiber in her being. She was amazed at the flood of emotion she’d felt when she’d seen him lying motionless on the ground. The feeling of indescribable loss that had frozen her in the moment she’d thought he was gone. When Amanda had roused him, she’d experienced a wave of relief.

The emotions had been too much for her to compartmentalize and she’d been left floundering until Lee and Amanda had come to her rescue. They’d stayed with her while they waited to hear the news on his condition, then accompanied her to his hospital room. Eventually, she’d felt stable enough to let them go home to their family and she’d collapsed on the couch, unable to leave Ephraim alone.

Now, she was unsure of how to act. She’d always been cool, calm, and collected Francine, able to handle terrorists with aplomb. She’d learned early on how to persevere, pushing emotions down until she didn’t feel anything. After her father walked out on her mother, she’d sworn that she would never rely on anyone for anything. She’d done everything for herself from that point forward.

She reached the door and paused. The past few days with Ephraim had made her feel things she’d never felt before, even with Jonathan. Last night, she’d thought for a moment that she’d lost Ephraim forever. That feeling had terrified her. With a deep breath, she turned the door handle and walked in.

“Francine,” Amanda welcomed. “I hope you didn’t have too rough a night on that couch.”

Francine saw Amanda standing next to Ephraim, holding Sarah. Lee was sitting on the couch, changing Katie’s diaper. “It wasn’t that bad,” Francine answered, turning to smile at Ephraim.

“Good,” Amanda smiled. “We just stopped by on our way to the office. Billy asked us to double check the statements and then we’re headed to the park with the girls. Mother deserves a break.”

“I bet,” Francine remarked. “Do you need me to go in?”

“No,” Lee quickly answered. “Billy gave all of us the week off for Thanksgiving as a bonus for working so hard this past week. Amanda and I will finish everything up this morning.”

“We would like to invite both of you over for Thanksgiving,” Amanda continued. “Do you think you’ll be up for it, Ephraim?”

“I wouldn’t miss it, Amanda, thanks. Francine, how about you?” Ephraim replied, glancing at Francine with uncertainty.

“I’d love to, Amanda. Would you like for me to bring anything?” Francine answered with a smile.

“Sure…want to bring a dessert?”

“That’s exactly what I was going to suggest. I have a fabulous cheesecake recipe,” Francine grinned.

Amanda turned back to Ephraim. “Now, I don’t want you trying to do too much. Billy told me to make sure you were taken care of, so I think I’ll put Francine in charge of your nursing. Think you can handle it?” she whispered.

Ephraim gave her a weak smile. “Yeah, thanks, Amanda,” he responded, then yawned.

“Let’s go, Amanda, I think we’re wearing him out,” Lee said as he picked up a squirming Katie.

“OK, Lee,” Amanda agreed. “We’ll see you both later. Mother told me to tell you she’s making you a care package. We’ll drop it by your apartment when you get home.”

Francine walked with them out the door. “Francine, take care of yourself as well,” Amanda admonished. “He’s going to be fine.”Francine nodded, then headed back into the room. As she looked over at Ephraim, she saw he’d fallen back asleep.

SMK SMK

Amanda and Lee arrived at the Q Bureau with both girls rested from quick naps. As they walked in the door, they saw Billy emerge from the closet/elevator.

“Well, who do we have here?” Billy welcomed. He put his arms out and Sarah reached for him. He laughed heartily as she put her hands on his moustache.

“We’re going to head up and finish the paperwork on last night. Have you gotten anything out of Kun?” Lee responded. Billy followed the couple up the stairs as they made their way to their office. When they reached it, Amanda pulled out a quilt and put it on the floor and Lee placed Katie on it with her stuffed bear. Billy set Sarah down and sat on the couch with Amanda.

“We’re still working on it. Magda and Mara came in a little while ago and gave statements on what they learned. Kun’s wife was Balázs's sister. She left him about a year ago, supposedly disgusted that he couldn’t hold a job. Kun contacted his friend and they met in Budapest this summer. From what Mara learned, they had been planning on creating some sort of information network. That all fell apart when the communist regime fell. Mara’s friend, Eresbeth, had apparently been dating Balázs, but ended it when she found out what he was planning. She had no idea he had moved on to assassination.”

“Wow,” Amanda answered. “It’s hard to believe what some people will do. How is Mara?”

“Well,” Billy smiled. “She seems pretty happy. Apparently, this friend, Eresbeth, has a pretty good position with the new government and has offered Mara a job with the Hungarian Embassy. Mara and Magda can now go home to visit whenever they like.”

“That’s great, Billy,” Lee said. Katie sat up and threw her bear at Amanda, then laughed. Sarah stood up and toddled over to Katie and handed her a ball. Katie immediately tried to bite it.

“So, Amanda,” Billy began with a grin. “You were going to tell me what exactly is going on with Francine and Beaman.”

Amanda laughed. “Well, Billy, what do you think is going on?”

“Well, you told me the other day that Kelly needed to move back to steno because she was causing, how did you put it? Friction in the Q Bureau.”

Lee laughed. “That’s putting it mildly. Kelly was coming on mighty strong to poor old Ephraim and Francine was pretty upset over the whole thing.”

“Ah,” Billy answered. “So, Francine got jealous.”

“Well, she just didn’t like the position…” Amanda prevaricated. “Oh, all right, yes, she was very jealous. And then, there was the whole thing with Jonathan. That didn’t help matters…well, actually, maybe it did help. Anyway, it looks like Ephraim has finally won Francine over. He really came through for her this week, and Kelly just opened up her eyes to what’s been in front of her.”

Billy grinned and gave Lee a knowing look. Lee just shrugged, then picked Katie up and started making faces at her.

Amanda smiled and Billy winked at her. “So, are they together now?”

“Based on how Francine’s dealt with Ephraim being shot, if they weren’t before, I’d bet they will be now,” Lee answered.

“Good for Beaman,” Billy laughed. “I never thought anyone would be able to settle Francine down, but he’s the man to do it.”

The three agents started laughing. Katie clapped her hands and Sarah yelled, “Happy.” The agents laughed even harder.

SMK SMK

Ephraim awoke from his nap feeling much better and more like himself. He sat up with more ease than the morning and looked around the room. He saw Francine flipping pages in a magazine.

“Francine?” he rasped. “Have you been here the whole time?”

“Of course,” she replied smoothly, not looking up from her magazine.

“Oh,” he answered. She glanced up and smiled weakly at him. Before he could say anything else, the door opened and several people from the Agency walked in.

“Hey, Beaman,” Fred Fielder said. “Looks like you survived.”

“How are you doing?” Nancy Anderson from steno asked.

“Oh, I’m feeling alright,” Beaman responded a little shyly.

“So, Francine, I hear Beaman saved your life and you were a basket case,” Fred joked. Francine glared at Fred, who slunk behind Casey Johnson. The other agents shook their heads at Fred.

“Actually, Fred, Ephraim did save my life last night. I’m lucky to have such an excellent partner,” Francine intoned. Fred glanced at her, a little embarrassed.

Everyone stood around quietly, then Nancy brought a plant over to Ephraim’s bedside table. “We all pitched in and bought you this plant and a gift certificate to Chan’s Express. We figured you wouldn’t be able to fix yourself meals for a couple of days.”

“Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it,” Ephraim exclaimed. “This will definitely come in handy this week.”

As the agents continued visiting, Dr. Kelford walked in. “Well, Beaman, looks like you’ve got quite the crew here today.”

“Hey, Doc, we were actually about to go,” Casey said. “Beaman, we’ll catch you next week.”

The agents all left and Francine turned to go as well. “Francine, if you don’t mind, I’d like for you to come back in in just a minute,” Dr. Kelford requested.

“I’m going to head down to the cafeteria for some coffee, then I’ll be back,” Francine responded.

A few minutes later, Francine returned to find Ephraim and the doctor joking around. Dr. Kelford looked up and said, “Good, Francine, I’m glad you’re back. Ephraim’s wound is healing really well and there are no signs of any infection. I told him that I think we can expect to release him tomorrow. However, he can’t be on his own for at least 24 hours after that.”

“I can stay with him,” Francine volunteered. She glanced at Ephraim who gave her a weak smile. “That would be great, Francine. I’ve spoken with Billy already and he told me that you have the week off. I can have him change it to a work situation,” Dr. Kelford offered.

“No, it’s really no trouble. I’d rather have the time off. You don’t need to worry about Ephraim. He’s my partner and I’ll take care of him,” Francine insisted.

Dr. Kelford smiled and said, “OK, well, I’ll be back in the morning to check you one last time, then we’ll get you home.”

Not long after Dr. Kelford left, Francine told Ephraim she needed to head him for a little while to get some things. He nodded and said, “I really appreciate this, Francine. You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to…”

“Nonsense, Ephraim,” she retorted. “You are my partner and you would do the same for me. Now, I want you to rest while I’m gone, all right?”

“Yes, ma’am,” he replied contritely. As she headed out the door, she turned around and smiled, saying, “I’m really glad you’re going to be OK, Ephraim.”

SMK SMK

Francine walked down the hospital corridor to Ephraim’s room. She felt much better after taking a shower and changing her clothes. She’d spent quite a bit of time in the shower crying her eyes out, trying to get past the gut-wrenching emotions that had been churning inside for the past few days. ‘I need to be strong,’ she told herself continuously. ‘Ephraim doesn’t need to see me vulnerable. I need to take care of him.’

As she came to his door, she heard tinkly laughter coming from the other side. She started thinking about who might be visiting him, then realized it might be some of the newer agents who’d been Ephraim’s students. She put a smile on her face and walked through the door.

The smile froze on her face when she realized that Kelly Reed was sitting on Ephraim’s bed. Ephraim shot her a look that screamed, “Help me!” while Kelly gave her a hateful look.

“Hello, Kelly,” Francine sneered. “I’m surprised to see you here.”

“I couldn’t stay away when I heard poor Ephraim had been shot!” she pouted. “I mean, I just couldn’t believe it!” She turned to give Ephraim a sad, puppy dog face. “I was so worried when Mrs. Anderson told me that you were in the hospital that I just rushed right over. I was so surprised when I found him here all by himself. I mean, if someone saved my life, I don’t think I could leave them for a minute.”

“Francine has been here the entire time, Kelly,” Ephraim retorted. “She only went home to get her things and to change clothes.”

“Her things?” Kelly said as she noticed the bag Francine was carrying.

“That’s right, Kelly,” Francine said as she walked over to the couch and dropped her bag, “my things. I’ll be staying with Ephraim for the next few days, taking care of him.”

“Thanks for stopping by, Kelly,” Ephraim said dismissively.

“Oh, I don’t mind a bit, Ephraim,” Kelly purred. “I can come by anytime you need me.”

“That’s all right, Kelly, I have it covered,” Francine insisted. “I think Ephraim needs to rest now. Thanks so much for stopping by.”

Francine walked over to Ephraim’s side, effectively blocking Kelly. Kelly stared at Francine with venom, but turned away when it was obvious Francine was not backing down.

After Kelly left, Ephraim turned to Francine and whispered, “I’m really sorry about that. I know you don’t like her. She just showed up.”

Francine ran her hand over Ephraim’s hair and smiled. “You have nothing to apologize for. I can handle Kelly just fine.” Ephraim smiled, then yawned. “Now, I want you to try to sleep. You’re not going to get any better if you wear yourself out.”

“Francine, I really want to talk to you about…” Ephraim began. Francine leaned down and gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

“We have plenty of time to talk. You need to rest. I promise we’ll talk tomorrow,” Francine whispered.

“Stay with me?” he pleaded. Francine sat on the bed next to him and held his hand.

“There’s no place I’d rather be right now,” Francine smiled. She sat there holding his hand, watching him fall asleep. She looked at him, sleeping peacefully. She was so thankful that he’d survived the gunshot and would recover completely. She’d deal with the emotions she couldn’t control later. Right now, she was just going to relish the complete relief she felt in knowing that Ephraim Beaman was safe, on his way to being well, and wasn’t leaving any time soon.