- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Author’s Note: Originally, this was going to be mainly about the ball, but the story took over and wanted the day to be written about first. So, we’ll have to wait until the next chapter to see what excitement goes down at the ball!

Chapter Six                                                                                                                        Saturday, November 18, 1989, daytime

Sunlight gleamed through Amanda and Lee’s bedroom window. Lee had been awake for a few moments, savoring the unusual quiet of the house and the warmth of his sleeping wife in his arms. His mind reviewed the plans for the evening, making sure he knew exactly what they would do in any given scenario. The week had gone so smoothly, but he didn’t want to leave anything to chance. If Kun had anything planned, he’d kept it close to the vest. None of his family members had come up with anything.

Amanda stirred in his arms and he smiled. He was so lucky to have found her- his best friend, an incredible partner, his soulmate. Even now, after six years with her, he was still amazed that he’d found Amanda and that Billy hadn’t allowed him to push her away. He pulled her closer and she murmured in her sleep. He kissed her forehead as she opened her eyes and whispered, “Good morning, sleepy head.”

Amanda’s eyes fluttered, then she smiled. “Mmm…what time is it?”

“Still early,” Lee whispered. “Go back to sleep.”

“Oh?” Amanda whispered, then smiled as she snaked her hand around Lee’s neck. “I think we can find something better to do than sleep…don’t you?” Lee grinned, then lowered his head for a kiss. “Hmm…”

A little while later, after they’d spent a relaxing morning in bed and then a leisurely shower together, Amanda and Lee snuggled together on the couch, drinking some coffee.

“So,” Amanda said. “What’s on the agenda for today?”

“We’ll head into the office and go over the security plans one more time. Do you think you and Francine could go talk to Magda again? She may have heard something from the delegation,” Lee answered.

“Sure…are you and Ephraim going to the Embassy?”

“Yeah- we’ll do a walkthrough, then meet with Béla Szabó to go over the final details.”

“Sounds good,” Amanda responded. “When do we need to leave?”

Lee smiled. “Oh, in a few minutes…let’s just enjoy the quiet for a little while longer, shall we?”

Amanda grinned, then put her arms around her husband’s neck and began kissing him. Lee chuckled, then said, “I guess it’s a good think we’re not dressed yet!”

SMK SMK

Across town, Francine was putting the finishing touches on her makeup when the telephone rang. “Hello?” she answered.

“Good morning,” Ephraim responded.

Francine smiled and said, “Well, good morning to you, too.”

“I thought I’d call and see if you wanted me to pick up anything. I was going to stop and get a danish at the bakery, and…”

“Oh, that’s really nice of you, Ephraim. Yes, I’d like that,” Francine accepted.

“OK, well, then I guess I’ll see you in a little while…unless you’d like for me to pick you up?”

Francine grinned. “You don’t have to do that…”

“It’s no trouble,” Ephraim insisted.

“Well, all right then…I’ll see you in a few minutes.” As she hung up the phone, Francine smiled. Last night really had been amazing. She’d begun to see a new side to Ephraim, one that she liked a lot.

She rushed around getting finished, then sat on the couch as she waited for him to arrive. She thought back to a few nights ago, when Jonathan had come by. Ephraim had been so…in control. When he’d first come to work for the Agency, Francine had thought of him as a Fred Fielder clone, bumbling his way around. Now, though, the impression had completely changed.

Ephraim was a take charge kind of man- he worked well with others, but he had his own opinions and was ready to act on them. He was also a little shy around women, not really knowing how to talk to them until he knew them well. He was such a polar opposite to Jonathan. Jonathan was suave, debonair, and knew the effect he had on women.

Francine remembered a conversation she’d had with Amanda back in July, when she’d been tired of the constant dating scene. Amanda had said, “Stop doing what you’re doing and let yourself be open to new possibilities. The love of your life might be just around the corner. He could be someone you work with, but haven’t ever given them a chance because they didn’t fit your ‘type’. You might be surprised by what you find.”

Could Amanda have been right? Ephraim was definitely not her usual ‘type’, which was why she’d always rebuffed him in the past. But, lately, she’d seen that there was more to Ephraim than getting tipsy at Christmas parties. They definitely worked well together. Could there be more there? After that kiss last night, Francine admitted to herself that there definitely could be…and she was definitely interested in finding out.

The doorbell rang, and Francine opened it to see Ephraim standing there with a pastry bag in hand. “Hungry?” he grinned.

She smiled and welcomed him in. As she looked in the bag, she moaned, “Chocolate éclairs!” She pulled one out and took a bite. “Did you know these are my favorite?”

Ephraim chuckled, “A little birdie may have mentioned it once or twice.”

“Well, come in here. Would you like some coffee? Have you eaten?” Francine offered as she headed to her kitchen for a plate and a mug.

“Yeah, I ate mine in the car. I was too hungry to wait. I’ll take some coffee, though,” Ephraim confessed. Francine grabbed another mug and fixed his coffee.

As Francine ate, Ephraim asked, “So, has Jonathan bothered you anymore?”

She shook her head and replied, “No, I think you scared him off. Thanks again for doing that. He’s a real jerk.”

“I didn’t mind. I just wish you’d told me about it ahead of time. I’ll always be here for you, Francine,” Ephraim said, placing his hand over hers. “Speaking of helping, I want to thank you for helping me with Kelly yesterday. I was floundering until you came in.”

Francine squeezed his hand. “No problem. I didn’t like the way she was acting around you…so phony.”

“Really?” Ephraim queried. “Can I ask you something, Francine?”

“Sure.”

“Why don’t you like Kelly?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” Francine confessed. “She just seems fake. I mean she wouldn’t quit flirting with you or fawning all over you or…”

“You don’t think she could’ve just been interested in me?” Ephraim questioned, sounding a little offended.

“No, no, Ephraim,” Francine backpedalled. “That’s not what I meant. You are a nice guy and she just seemed like a barracuda. I didn’t want you to get hurt.”

“Don’t you think I can take care of myself?” Ephraim chided.

“Of course you can,” Francine reassured. “I didn’t mean it like that…really. Do you want me to be honest?” Francine stood up and walked over to the window. Ephraim stood up and watched as she continued to speak. “Kelly reminds me…a lot…of the women I meet all the time at functions. They are so artificial…sugary sweet…and out to trap the first millionaire that happens to fall into their trap. She reminds me…of a female…Jonathan. And I don’t want that for you…you don’t deserve it…you’re sweet and funny and attractive and…”

“And?” Ephraim smiled as he walked closer to her.

“And…all right,” Francine sighed. “I was jealous of the attention she was getting from you, OK? Happy now?”

Ephraim put his arms around her waist and pulled her close. “Most definitely,” he murmured, then captured her lips with his. She snaked her arms up around his neck and pulled him in even closer.

SMK SMK

Around 11 a.m., both teams were sitting in the Q Bureau’s conference room, going over the security plans. As they finished up, Lee mentioned his plans to Francine and Ephraim.

“Are you OK with it?” Lee asked.

“Sure,” Francine responded. “I guess, Amanda, you’ll have to drive to Magda’s since I rode with Ephraim this morning.”

“OK,” Amanda agreed with surprise. She shot a look to Lee who grinned at Ephraim. Lee tossed his keys over to his wife and everyone headed out.

Amanda and Francine found Magda in her dress store, helping a mother and daughter with a mother of the bride dress. When Magda saw them, she motioned to an employee to come take over. Magda then led the ladies back to her office.

“I am so glad you came to see me today,” Magda exclaimed. “Mara gave me information this morning that I think can be of use.”

“What is it?” Francine asked.

“You asked me if there was connection between Mátyás Kun and János Balázs. Mara spent the evening with her old friend, Ersebeth Német, who is with delegation. She told Mara that Kun was once married to Balázs’s sister. Apparently, they have been good friends for many years. Kun is good Communist and does not like the change. He wishes to go back to Hungary in the 50’s, which was not so good,” Magda shared.

Amanda and Francine looked at each other. “We need to get back and let the guys know about this,” Francine said. “Magda, thank you so much.”

“I have been invited by the Ambassador to attend tonight’s ball. They wish to be…friendly…again. I will be happy to help you if you need tonight,” Magda answered.

“Thanks, Magda, you’ve been a big help. We’ll see you tonight!” Amanda replied.

Francine and Amanda walked out of the store and back to the Corvette. As they headed back to the Agency, Amanda teased, “So you rode with Ephraim this morning? Hmm…”

“Amanda!” Francine exclaimed. “For your information, Ephraim called to see if I wanted a ride, and I accepted. He brought me breakfast.”

Amanda grinned. “So, I take it last night went well.”

Francine beamed. “Yes, it did. Oh, Amanda, I can’t believe I’m actually interested in Ephraim Beaman, but…I really am.”

“So…are you…seeing each other now?” Amanda asked with a smile. “Personally, you know I think you’re perfect for each other!”

“Well, I don’t know…we haven’t really discussed anything, but we are going to the ball tonight together, and…I kissed him last night,” Francine prevaricated.

“Really…” Amanda squealed.

Francine blushed and said, “It was so sweet and gentle and…then, this morning, he just grabbed me and kissed me and it was…toe curling, take your breath away incredible. I didn’t know he had it in him, but let me tell you this- I am definitely kissing him again!”

Amanda laughed and Francine blushed again. It was pretty funny seeing cool and collected Francine all hot and bothered by Ephraim Beaman. Amanda continued to laugh as they made their way back.

SMK SMK

The afternoon sped by quickly as the agents finished last minute details on the Hungarian ball. Finally, Lee sent everyone home to prepare for the evening. When Amanda and Lee arrived at home, they saw Katie crawling towards them, giggling. A minute later, they saw Jamie coming after her, calling, “I’m gonna get you, Katie!” Katie squealed and kept crawling until she reached her daddy’s leg. She pulled up on it and grinned.

“Hey, Katie girl, where are going?” Lee teased as he swooped her up in his arms.

“Hi, sweetheart,” Amanda said to Jamie, wrapping him in a hug. “Did you have fun last night?”

“Yeah! We played Ghouls ‘n Ghosts on their new Sega Genesis! Can we get one for Christmas, Mom?” Jamie exclaimed.

“I guess we’ll have to wait and see,” Amanda appeased. “Where’re Phillip and Sarah?”

“Phillip’s upstairs on the phone and Sarah’s in the living room with Grandma,” Jamie answered as he headed up the stairs.

Amanda and Lee headed into the living room with Katie babbling to Lee. Amanda saw Sarah playing with a stuffed animal on the floor. Sarah looked up and broke into a grin when she saw Amanda. “Up…up…up…” she cackled excitedly as she clapped her hands.

Amanda reached down and picked her up and said, “How’s Mommy’s girl? Have you been a good girl for Grandma?” Sarah gave Amanda a hug then kicked to get down. Amanda laughed and set her down, then reached for Katie from Lee. Lee sat down on the floor and Sarah toddled over to him and wrapped her arms around him.

“So how was the ball last night?” Dotty asked.

“It was good, Mother. We didn’t have any problems. Now, tonight…” Amanda shared.

“Tonight may be a late one, depending on what happens,” Lee continued. “Well, I’ve already set up the bed in the nursery for me tonight. Don’t worry about anything here,” Dotty shared. “I’m going to go make dinner. Why don’t you take the girls with you up to the nursery while you get ready?”

Lee picked Sarah up and they headed up to their bedroom. Amanda went into the nursery and grabbed a few little toys and carried them into the room for Sarah and Katie to play with. Lee placed a blanket on the floor and the two girls began playing together with their stuffed animals. Amanda and Lee relaxed next to them, relishing the few minutes of normalcy before reentering agent mode.

“Mom, Lee, are you in here?” Phillip called out.

“Yeah, chief, come on in,” Lee answered.

Phillip came in and sat on the bed. “Hey, would it be all right if Jamie and I went to the movies tonight with Linda’s family? Grandma said it was all right with her, but to check with you.”

“If Grandma’s all right with it, that’s fine- will it be just the girls or are their parents going, too?” Amanda questioned.

“Her parents want to see The Fabulous Baker Boys, so we were going to see Look Who’s Talking,” Phillip explained. “So, is it all right?”

“Go ahead- are they picking you up?”

“Yeah, OK, I’m going to call Linda back!” Phillip said as he left the room. “Oh,” he popped his head back in, “Thanks!”

Lee grinned and Amanda shook her head. It was hard to believe sometimes how fast the boys were growing up. Now in high school, it wouldn’t be much longer until they were headed off to college. Amanda let out a sigh.

“Not babies anymore, huh?” Lee commiserated.

“No, they’ll always be my babies, but they’re growing up way too fast, Lee!” Amanda moaned. “Seems like only yesterday they were this size,” she said, indicating the girls.

“I know,” Lee comforted. “Come here.” He put his arms around her and said, “We do have a wonderful family, don’t we?”Amanda nodded and hugged him closer. As she did so, Katie pulled herself up on Lee and grunted. Lee laughed and pulled her into their embrace. Not happy to be left out, Sarah toddled over and said, “Me,” causing Lee to pull her in as well.

SMK SMK

Francine pulled out the emerald green dress from the back of her closet. It had been 5 years at least since she’d worn it, but it was her favorite. It was a fuller dress, with two taffeta under slips and microscopic spaghetti straps. The back tied in a criss-cross and the dress was sprinkled with sequins. In her opinion, it was one of the best looking gowns she’d ever seen and she thought Ephraim would be blown away.

Francine glanced at the clock on her living room wall…6:00. The ball started at seven, but Lee wanted all of them to arrive a little early. Ephraim had mentioned he’d pick her up at 6:15, so she had a couple of minutes.

Suddenly, she felt jittery…she realized she was actually nervous. She ran her hands over her hair one last time to make sure it was perfect, then applied a little more lipstick. She decided to go sit down on the couch, but stood back up a second later, unable to sit still.

“This is ridiculous!” Francine scolded herself. She glanced at the clock again…6:03. Had her clock stopped, she wondered, then realized how silly that was. She picked up a magazine, then set it back down. Finally, she walked over to her window and stared out to the street below.

A minute later, the doorbell rang. Francine threw it open to reveal Ephraim standing there in a tuxedo, holding a bouquet of roses. “Hi, Francine,” Ephraim said sheepishly. “I know I’m a little early…”

“Oh, no, that’s fine, Ephraim. Come in,” she gushed. “Are those for me?”

“Oh!” Ephraim exclaimed. “Yeah, I thought I heard you liked pink ones the best.” He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. “Francine, you look…breathtaking.”

Francine smiled as she took the flowers. “Thank you. May I say you look pretty darn good yourself in that tux.”

He followed her into the kitchen as she found a vase and filled it with water. She unwrapped the roses and placed them gently in the water, arranging them until they looked perfect.

Francine placed the vase on her dining room table, then turned nervously to Ephraim. “Would you like a drink? I have scotch, gin, vodka…”

“No, thanks, Francine,” Ephraim replied. “Francine, are you OK? You’re acting kind of funny.”

Francine froze and stared at him. “Funny?”

“Yeah,” he continued. “Like your nervous or something…what’s going on? Are you not sure about tonight? I mean, it doesn’t have to be a ‘date’…if you don’t want it to. I mean, we are partners.” Ephraim suddenly felt as if his collar had become a noose and he couldn’t breathe.

“No…no…nothing’s going on. Uh,” Francine floundered. “Oh hell, Ephraim, I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I don’t know why but I just feel nervous all of a sudden. I can’t explain it.”

Ephraim looked at her and realized she was speaking the truth. “So, you’re OK with tonight?”

Francine looked in Ephraim’s eyes and realized he needed some reassurance. “Yes, I’m OK with tonight. But, I don’t know about anything else, Ephraim. I really do like you, but I don’t know if I’m ready to move beyond friendship. Does that make sense?”

“Sure,” Ephraim replied. “You’ve been burned before and you’re not sure you want to be in that position again.”

“Exactly,” Francine nodded, smiling. “I don’t want to jump into something, then realize it isn’t what I want. I don’t want to lose a good friend in the process. I mean, when this all ends, I don’t want to have to start over with a new partner…”

“Who says it has to end?” Ephraim whispered as he moved closer to her. “Look, I’m not asking for a lifetime commitment here. In fact, I haven’t asked for anything beyond tonight. But, there’s one thing you need to understand, Francine Desmond,” he continued, stepping even closer. “I’m not going anywhere. I’m not Jonathan Stone and I’m not any of those other guys who’ve hurt you in the past. You don’t have to hide from me. I’m your friend and your partner. And, if that’s all you want, you just have to say the word, and I’ll accept it,” he promised, moving to where he was standing directly in front of her. He moved his hands until they were encircling her waist, then gazed deeply into her eyes. Slowly, he leaned his head down until his lips gently touched hers. “Is that all you want?”

Francine gazed back into his eyes and gasped at the emotion she saw within his blue eyes. “No,” she murmured, closing her eyes as he captured her lips again, deepening the kiss passionately. Suddenly, all of her nervousness and fears were swept away by a tide of emotions. She realized that she couldn’t let this go…not now.