- Text Size +

Chapter Five                                                                                                                                           Friday, November 17, 1989

Ephraim sat in the new Q Bureau library, double-checking the list of programs available on the two new computers that had been installed. He was amazed at how the technology seemed to be growing by leaps and bounds and seemed to be making their jobs a little easier, at least on the research end.

Francine popped her head in. “Lee just called. He’s given the photos to the agents at the meetings and is heading over to meet with the Secret Service about tonight’s ball. I’m heading downstairs to meet with Dr. Smyth- he wants an update on the delegation. Amanda should be here in a few minutes.”

Ephraim smiled at Francine. “Thanks…I’ll be done here in a few minutes. Want to grab a bite when you get back?”

“Sure…Ned’s?” Francine responded.

“Sounds good,” Ephraim grinned. Francine pulled back and closed the door. Ephraim shook his head. Could Francine really be interested in him now? It didn’t seem possible, and yet…it did.

Before he could continue with that thought, Kelly bounced in. “Good morning, Ephraim!” she sang out as she walked over to him. “Wow, you look really great in that suit!”

“Uh, thanks, Kelly,” Ephraim stammered. “Uh, can I help you with something?”

Kelly giggled, then flipped her hair. “You are so sweet. I was just coming in to make sure I had the books all shelved before I moved back to the vault. You know, I really love working with you here in the Q Bureau,” she said as she moved a little closer. “You are one of the smartest men I’ve ever known. I know I could learn a lot…working…with you.”

Ephraim shifted to move away from her, but she leaned closer. “I just wish I could be more of a help to you…like at the ball tonight. I know agents sometimes use the steno girls as…window dressing. I sure wish I could help you out…make it look like a date…” she trailed off as she leaned a little closer.

“Actually, Kelly,” Ephraim responded firmly as he stood up. “I’m already taking someone to the ball.”

Kelly gave him a stunned look, then stammered, “You…you are?”

“Yes, Francine is going with me. She is my partner,” he answered, then stopped as he noticed Amanda standing in the doorway. “Good morning, Amanda.”

“Good morning, Ephraim…Kelly,” Amanda responded, giving Kelly a look. Kelly withered in response. “Kelly, could I see you in my office?” Amanda requested, then turned to leave.

“Ephraim…” Kelly began, pasting a smile on her face.

“I think you’d better go see what Amanda needs,” Ephraim answered coldly as he left the room as well.

SMK SMK

Kelly knocked on Amanda’s door, then cautiously opened it. Amanda motioned for Kelly to sit down in the chair placed in front of her desk.

“Kelly, I want you to know that you’ve been a great help in getting the Q Bureau reorganized this week and I’ve written a glowing review for your employment file,” Amanda began.

“Oh, thank you, Amanda!” Kelly gushed. “I really love it up here!”

“Unfortunately, Kelly,” Amanda continued brusquely, “there isn’t going to be a need for you to continue up here. I’ve already spoken with Mr. Melrose and, effective Monday, you will be back in the steno pool.”

“What?” Kelly exploded. “I’ve worked my tail off this week! What did I do to deserve this?”

“Kelly…” Amanda tried to interrupt, but Kelly jumped out of her chair and started pacing the room.

“I don’t get it! You’ve told me every day that I was doing a fantastic job!”

“You have been…”

“And Ephraim, he…well, we…” Kelly sputtered. How could this be happening? Kelly thought to herself. She’d spent the week working hard in order to impress Amanda, along with steering clear of the infamous Scarecrow, knowing that he wouldn’t take kindly to someone flirting with him. She’d had many warnings from the women in the steno pool- Lee Stetson might be drop dead gorgeous and a legendary ladies’ man, but he was off-limits. He no longer had eyes for anyone other than his wife, and Billy Melrose would not be pleased with any employee that tried to get between his best team. Ephraim, on the other hand, fit her plans nicely- attractive, stable, and unattached. Kelly had ambitions much higher than the steno pool, and she would do whatever and whoever it took to get where she wanted.

“Kelly, I don’t know what you think is going on between you and Mr. Beaman, but it has nothing to do with this office,” Amanda reprimanded. “Today is your last day in the Q Bureau. You will report to Mrs. Anderson in steno on Monday.”

Kelly stared at her, speechless. Before she could say anything else, Lee walked in. “Good morning…” his greeting died on his lips as he saw Kelly pacing his office.

Kelly responded, “I’m going to the ladies’ room. If you’ll excuse me.” She rushed out the door and Lee shut the door.

“I take it she didn’t take kindly to leaving the Q Bureau,” Lee whistled.

“Nope,” Amanda answered. “And Francine was right- Kelly is after Ephraim.”

Lee shook his head, then gathered his wife into his arms. “Kelly apparently doesn’t know it’s a bad idea to mess with Francine…or you.”

Amanda hugged Lee close, then leaned up for a kiss. He smiled, then kissed his beautiful partner, all thoughts of the disgruntled file clerk drifting out of his head.

Down the hall, Kelly stood in the ladies’ room, seething with rage. This wasn’t good…no, this wasn’t good at all. She’d worked too hard to get close to Ephraim this week to leave now. She had been disappointed that he wouldn’t take her to tonight’s ball, but she was sure, given time, she’d have gotten into the next one. Now, Amanda Stetson had thrown a wrench into her plans.

Kelly stared at her reflection, checking to make sure her face was composed once more. Ephraim was still a possibility, she thought to herself with a grim smile. She knew how to play the “damsel in distress” well. Surely, it would work on him.

SMK SMK

When Francine returned to the Q Bureau, she and Ephraim headed down to Nedlinger’s for a light lunch. They spent the hour enjoying each other’s company, discussing the present case as well as past ones.

“So, Francine,” Ephraim began as they were finishing their iced tea. “I thought that, um, maybe we could go together tonight. I could pick you up, if you’d like.” He looked over at Francine, trying to gauge her reaction.

Francine looked back at him and smiled. “I would really like that, Ephraim. I think it’s a great idea.”

“Oh, well, great!” Ephraim stammered. “I’ll pick you up at 6:30 then. Will that be early enough?”

“That will be perfect,” Francine agreed. She looked over at Ephraim and decided to hash out the Kelly situation with him before it got worse. “Now, I understand from Amanda that Kelly was at it again this morning.”

Ephraim sighed and tried to decide how to respond to Francine. He knew that Francine had been acting jealous, but he was afraid that maybe he’d misread her. Finally, he decided to just be honest and tell her how he really felt about Kelly. “Listen, Francine, I think I may have made a mistake here.”

Francine’s eyes grew wide and she turned a little white. “Uh, a mistake?” she spat out. Was Ephraim about to tell her that he really did like Kelly instead of her after all?

“Yeah,” Ephraim continued, noticing the look on Francine’s face…was it fear? Ephraim couldn’t tell, but it gave him hope. “I felt sorry for Kelly, you know? She seemed shy and like she needed a friend. So, I was nice to her and I went to lunch her.”

“And?” Francine seemed to recover a little.

“Ugh! I can’t believe that one person could be so…boring! All she wanted to talk about was shopping and shoes! It was the longest hour of my life! And now…she just won’t leave me alone. Then, this morning, she tried to get me to take her to the ball tonight. And, well, I told her you were my date...well, as my partner, you see. I’m sorry, Francine, but I couldn’t think of anything else to say. Besides, it worked…at least, I think it did. Amanda came in to get her right about that time,” Ephraim confessed.

Francine sat through his entire ramble, utterly speechless. ‘He doesn’t like Kelly,’ was the thought that kept echoing through her head. When he finished, Francine placed her hand over his.

“Ephraim, it’s all right. I don’t mind you telling Kelly I’m your date tonight,” she reassured him with a smile. “Actually, it’s kind of true now, isn’t it? I mean, you are picking me up and we are going together…sounds like a date, doesn’t it?”

“Well, technically, we are working…” Ephraim responded with a little smile.

Francine grinned. “Yes, technically…but, then, technically so are Amanda and Lee, right?”

“True,” Ephraim smiled. He looked over at the woman sitting across from him. She was so beautiful. He’d wanted a chance with her for so long, but it had seemed impossible. Now, she seemed to be looking at him with a different expression than he’d ever seen, one that encouraged him to have the courage to ask, “So, Francine…would you…like…for tonight to be a date?” He gazed in her eyes and silently willed her to say yes.

Francine gazed back at Ephraim and realized she knew exactly what she wanted her answer to be. “Yes,” she whispered. “I would like for tonight to be…a date.”

SMK SMK

The afternoon passed quietly. Francine and Ephraim worked on last minute security details for the embassy ball, while Amanda and Lee met with the various agents who’d been providing security at the meetings. The meetings had all proceeded without a hitch, which left the Hungarian Embassy as the one potential security problem.

Around 3:30, Francine headed downstairs with Amanda to meet with some of the agents who would also be attending the evening’s ball at the Auditorium. Lee and Ephraim spent a few minutes in the library, looking over the floor plan of the Embassy when Kelly entered, acting subdued.

“Excuse me, Lee, but Mrs. Marsten just told me that Mr. Melrose was looking for you,” she intoned flatly.

“Oh, thank you, Kelly,” Lee responded. “I guess I’ll head down to see him. Ephraim, why don’t you finish assigning the exits and we’ll discuss it when I get back.”

Ephraim nodded and went back to work. After Lee left, Kelly exhaled a loud sigh, causing Ephraim to look up.

“Kelly, did you need something?” he asked.

“Oh, no,” she sighed dramatically.

“Well, then, if you don’t mind…” he answered absently, waving his hand over the plans.

“Oh,” she sniffed. “I’m sorry, I’ll just go. I just…” she sniffed again, “…wanted to tell you…how much I’m going to…miss…working with you,” she sniffed again, turning away.

“Uh…oh…yeah, well, I’m sure they’ll be happy to see you back down in steno,” he said haltingly, unsure of how to deal with the seemingly distraught woman.

She stopped and thought, ‘They’ll be happy to see me back in steno? What the heck is going on here?’

“So…aren’t you going to miss me, Ephraim? I thought…maybe…I mean…you seemed…” she whispered in a sad tone, bending her head down so he couldn’t see her face.

“Um, Kelly…I…you see…” Ephraim stammered. How on earth was he supposed to do this? He wracked his brain trying to come up with something, then looked up to see Francine standing in the doorway with a grin on her face.

“What Ephraim is trying to tell you, Kelly, is that you assumed wrong,” Francine stated matter-of-factly. Kelly’s head shot up and turned to face Francine, shock evident on her countenance. “What?”

“Ephraim was trying to be your friend, nothing more,” Francine continued. “Ephraim is a very nice man, but he’s not available for any more lunches…at least with you.” As she spoke, she calmly walked over to Ephraim and placed her hand in his. Ephraim couldn’t help but look down at Francine with a soft smile, making it clear to Kelly that, as far as he was concerned, he was definitely taken. Francine gave Kelly a knowing look and raised her eyebrows.

“Well,” Kelly sighed. “I guess I’ll get out of your way then.”

“Yes,” Francine answered. “I’m sure you have some filing to finish before you go.”

Kelly turned and walked out of the door, heading to the bathroom. Once there, she let loose with the frustration she’d kept under control. How could this be happening? She’d heard rumors that Beaman had a thing for Francine Desmond, but hadn’t seen the evidence of it at the beginning of the week. They seemed just like partners and maybe friends, but that’s all. She’d read all about Beaman in his file when she’d spent that week in Personnel and had picked him as a good man to help her move up the Agency ladder. She’d been sure that Francine had no interest in Beaman at all, but apparently she had been wrong about that.

Now, it looked like her work had all been for naught, all because of Amanda Stetson and Francine Desmond. “I swear,” she seethed. “I am going to get even with these women if it’s the last thing I do.”

SMK SMK

The Mellon Auditorium was festively decorated with the colors of both the United States and Hungary. As Amanda and Lee arrived in his silver Corvette, Amanda let out a deep contented sigh. The exterior of the building always took her breath away, especially the beautiful columns and imposing architecture.

The car stopped at the front entrance and Lee helped Amanda out. “Have I told you this evening how amazing you look?” Lee whispered as he put his arm around her.

Amanda smiled and reached up to touch his face. “About ten times, but who’s counting?” She leaned up and kissed him tenderly. “By the way, have I ever told you how gorgeous you look in a tux? I swear I fell in love with you on sight the first time I saw you in one.”

He chuckled. “Sure took you long enough to admit it…” She swatted his arm and he pulled her closer. As they walked into the Foyer, Lee led them over to several of the Secret Service men in attendance.

“Hey, Lee, Amanda,” Michael Donovan called out. Michael was the Secret Service liaison to the Agency and had worked several cases with Lee in the past.

“Hi, Michael,” Amanda greeted. “How’re Amy and the kids?”

“Amy’s around here somewhere and the kids are great…at the grandparents for the weekend,” Michael answered.

“Lee, I see Francine and Ephraim, I’ll be right back,” Amanda said, and left the two men to review the security plans for the evening.

As Amanda walked over to her friends, she noticed that Ephraim and Francine seemed to be standing closer to one another than usual. Could they be…together?

“Francine, that dress is amazing,” Amanda gushed as she reached them.

“Thanks, Amanda. You look gorgeous in red,” Francine responded, smiling.

“Where’s Lee at?” Ephraim queried, searching the Foyer. Amanda pointed to where Lee and Michael were standing. “I’m going to go see how things are, if you don’t mind, Francine?” he asked, then headed in their direction at her nod.

“Francine?” Amanda questioned, giving her friend a nudge. “Are you and Ephraim…”

“What?” Francine blushed. Amanda’s eyes grew wide and she grinned.

“Are you and Ephraim here…together?”

“You mean…on a date?” Francine giggled. “Well, yes, Amanda, I do believe we are.”

“You’re kidding!” Amanda crowed with delight.

“No, though I can’t really believe it myself. I don’t know how to explain it,” Francine explained. “I guess it’s been coming on gradually and then…well, this whole thing with Kelly just kind of opened my eyes. Now,” she warned, “this is just a date. I don’t really know how I feel about him, but I realized this week that I need to give it a chance, so…that’s where we are.”

“I am proud of you, Francine,” Amanda praised. “I think you are doing the right thing. Ephraim’s a good man.”

“I agree,” Francine whispered as they noticed the two men walking over to them.The night was gloriously free of incident. The two couples spent their time dancing and mingling, enjoying the music and the beauty of the Auditorium.

Lee especially enjoyed dancing with his beautiful wife. As they spun around the room, he noticed Ephraim and Francine dancing together. “Amanda, are they…” he questioned as he looked closer.

“…on a date?” Amanda finished and glanced at the couple. “Yes, they actually are.”

“Really?” Lee sounded surprised. “Good for Ephraim- I knew he had it in him!”

Amanda laughed and put her head on his shoulder. “I think they’re good for each other. Francine needs someone with a good head on his shoulders and Ephraim needs someone to liven him up.”

“Nothing like opposites attracting…” Lee smiled and kissed Amanda’s cheek. “Now, what say you and I slip out of here? The boys are spending then night at the Lightners and your mother has the girls with her…”

“We have the house to ourselves…” Amanda whispered. “I like the way you think, Stetson.”

Lee grinned and pulled her closer to him. “Let’s go say goodbye then,” Lee suggested seductively. Amanda smiled at him and led him over to their friends.

“We’re going to slip out of here,” Amanda said to Francine.

Francine looked at her two friends and grinned. “So early?”

“That’s right,” Lee responded, pulling Amanda with him. “We’ll see you tomorrow morning…late tomorrow morning.”

Ephraim laughed as he watched the couple walk away together. He pulled Francine back towards him and they continued their dance.

A little while later, Ephraim and Francine walked to the side of the room to get some fresh air. “This has been an amazing night, Ephraim, but I’m getting a little tired and we’ve got a lot to do tomorrow. Mind if we call it a night?” Francine said as she stifled a yawn.

“Actually, I was about to suggest the same thing,” Ephraim smiled. “I’m exhausted from this week…shall we go?” He led her out to the entrance and motioned to the valet. A few minutes later, they were riding in his Dodge Shelby Charger, headed to Francine’s apartment. They spent the time talking about the various dignitaries they’d talked with and the socialites they’d seen.

Too soon, they pulled up in front of Francine’s building. Ephraim helped Francine out and began to walk Francine to her door.

“Ephraim, you don’t need to go with me,” Francine began, but Ephraim held up his hand.

“Francine, I know I don’t ‘need to’…I want to. I always walk my dates to their door,” Ephraim explained gently.

Francine smiled, then took his hand as they walked into the building. They rode in the elevator in silence, then walked quietly to her door. Once Francine had opened her door, she turned to him. “Ephraim, I really did have a wonderful night.”

“So did I, Francine,” Ephraim responded. “So…do you want to…be my date tomorrow night?” He looked at her a little nervously. She was so difficult to read at times.

Francine looked at Ephraim and realized that he was nervous. She smiled and responded, “I’d love to, Ephraim.”

His smile lit up his face and he whispered, “Well, that’s…wonderful, Francine. I guess I’ll, uh, see you in the morning then.”

She looked at him and realized that she wanted to kiss him more than anything. She moved closer to him, tilted her head up and whispered, “Well, goodnight then,” pulling his head down to her.

Ephraim put his arms around her waist and pulled her close. The kiss was gentle and sweet at first, but then deepened as they both realized what they wanted. As the kiss ended, Ephraim pulled her closer in an embrace and held her tight.

Eventually, Ephraim let her go and whispered, “I’ll see you in the morning. Sleep well.” He gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead and turned to go.

Francine stood in her doorway, watching as he got on the elevator and held his hand up. As she walked in to her apartment, she smiled. It really had been an amazing night.