- Text Size +

Santa’s Long Awaited Gift to Lee

The Challenge: We’ve got two choices. We have 6 words and a line for you. You can use any or all of them in your story. You can use the line on its own, or with any or all of the words. Really any combination will do. We’re trying to get your muses into the Christmas writing spirit.

Here are the words: stockings; yuletide; season; holly; holy; scent.

Here is the line: There's mistletoe hanging above your head.

(This first part takes place just before the tag in ‘Santas got a brand new bag…slightly a/u)

z88;

“That’s great work you two. Lee, I’m sorry I was hesitant to let you see this through, but…”

“I know, I know.” Lee waved off his comment. “I’ve always tried to keep myself working this time of year.” He glanced over at Amanda, and grinned. “I won’t do that anymore. I made my partner a promise and I intend to keep it.” His grin turned into a smile.

Billy smiled and stood. “Good. It’s about time. I knew you were just what he needed, Amanda. Take him home and make him enjoy the rest of the Christmas weekend, huh?” Lee and Amanda stood.

“Yes, Sir.” Lee guided Amanda to the door and held it open for her.

“Um, Scarecrow, one more thing.” They both turned to look at Billy. “There’s mistletoe hanging above your head.” Both Lee and Amanda looked up to see mistletoe directly above them.

“So there is.” Lee said with a smile. He wrapped his arms around Amanda and their eyes locked for a moment before closing and leaning into the kiss. Lee then slid his arms up and his hands came to rest on her face. The kiss was sweet but a little too slow and way too reveling. If anyone besides Billy had been watching Lee wouldn’t have dared to go this route. But he knew this was the best Christmas present he could give Billy. Or Amanda for that matter. Billy would see right now how he truly felt about Amanda. And Amanda would see that he wanted Billy to know. He wanted everyone to know. He didn’t want to keep their engagement a secret. He wanted the big yard and horses and waking up with her in his arms everyday. Suddenly Lee felt Billy pat his back.

“I’m going home now, close the door when you leave, kay? Merry Christmas.”

Lee felt Amanda pull back a little and he opened his eyes just enough to look at her. She was looking at Billy with that big bright smile of hers. He loved seeing her smile like that. It was her, ‘I’m on top of the world’ smile. He loved being the cause of it.

“Goodnight, Sir. Merry Christmas.” She watched Billy go out the glass doors and when she turned her head back to look at Lee she was taking a breath in and her smile faded. “Lee, what’s wrong?”

“Hmmm? Nothing’s wrong. Everything’s right. Everything is just right…..why?” Her hand reached up and wiped something wet from his face.

“Because that looks a lot like a tear.”

“Why would I be crying?” he wiped at his face too. Neither of them said anything more about it. Lee took a deep breath and closed Billy’s door.

(to tag scene of ‘Santa’s got a brand new bag’ then…..)

(au begin….)

The boys filled Amanda and Lee in on everything that happened at church and Lillian joined them as Dotty was cleaning Lee and Amanda’s plates from the living room.

“So, Amanda, this must be Lee.” Lee stood and held out his hand.

“Yes, Aunt Lillian, this is Lee Stetson. Lee, this is Mothers sister, Lillian.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ma’am, Amanda’s told me a lot about you.”

“Call me Lillian, please….or…. Aunt Lillian, maybe?” She winked at him and squeezed his hand. Amanda noticed and stood, giving her Aunt a hug, effectively ending the death grip she had on Lees hand.

“Aunt Lillian, dinner was wonderful. You and Mother did a beautiful job. I’m sorry we got held up at work.”

“Oh, Honey, that’s quite alright.” She whispered in Amanda’s ear, “I completely understand now.” She winked at Amanda. Dotty entered the room with desert and a few lights were turned off.

“Who would like to start?” Dotty asked as she began filling plates with pumpkin pie.

“I will Grandma.” Jamie said. He stood and began reading,

“Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. The stockings were hung by the chimney with care. In hopes that St. Nickolas soon would be there.” He walked over and hung up stockings while he spoke. One with the name of each person, above the mantle. Dotty, Lillian, Amanda…Lee swallowed hard when Jamie hung his up next. Then Joe’s then his and Phillips. He felt Amanda pat his knee and knew she knew what he was thinking. She always knew. The Christmas Season had never meant much to him. He was starting to realize what he’d been missing. His comment earlier about not having a family was something he was regretting ten fold at the moment. He needed to get Amanda alone and apologize….no, grovel, he needed to grovel. He was pulled from his thoughts when Jamie sat down next to him and said, “Your turn Lee.” handing him the book. Lee swallowed hard and began to read.

“The children were nestled all snug in their beds, While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads. And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap, Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap. When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter…” Lee was interrupted when a loud noise came from outside the French doors. Phillip rushed over and opened them. There Joe stood dressed as Santa. At his feet was a red bag and cardboard cut outs of Santa’s sleigh and eight tiny reindeer. Lee grinned and continued to read. “I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash. The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below. When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, But a miniature sleigh, and eight tinny reindeer.”

Lee smiled and looked around. Phillip smiled and nodded to Lee. “My turn. This is my favorite part! With a little old driver, so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be St Nick. More rapid than eagles his coursers they came, And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name! Now Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! On, Cupid, on Donner and Blitzen! To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall! Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!" Phillip plopped down on the floor in front of Lee, putting his elbow on Lees knee. He looked exhausted after his loud and very excitable performance. Lee smiled brightly at him and tasseled his hair.

Lillian took over next. “As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly, When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky. So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of Toys, and St Nicholas too. And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof The prancing and pawing of each little hoof. As I drew in my head, and was turning around, Down the chimney St Nicholas came with a bound.”

Dotty went next. “He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot, And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot. A bundle of Toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack. His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry! His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow, And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.” She slowly handed the book over to Amanda. Joe had been going through the motions, the boys laughing silently. Amanda began to read.

“The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth, And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.” Amanda gave Lee a sideways look and grin. He grinned back at her. They were both thinking the same thing…Smith. “He had a broad face and a little round belly, That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly! He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf, And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!“ Again, they shared a secret smile, thinking of Billy. “A wink of his eye and a twist of his head, Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread. He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work, And filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk. And laying his finger aside of his nose, And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose!” Amanda slid the book onto Lees lap. He looked into her eyes and saw the tears of joy slowly appearing in her eyes. He suddenly realized this meant more to her than she had been telling him earlier and he was not leaving here until he found out. There was much more to this tradition and part of it was sad for her. He kissed her nose quickly and looked back down at the book.

“He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, And away they all flew like the down of a thistle. But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight, "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night.” Then everyone stood up and began hugging each other and saying ‘Happy Christmas’. Joe and the boys brought the ‘sleigh and reindeer’ in and locked the doors. It took a few minutes for everyone to relax back with their pie. Lee exhaled and then took a deep breath in. The scent that hit him square in the face caused him to flash back to a memory long lost in the pain of the past.

He was sitting in the living room at the house he lived in with his parents. Their last Christmas together. The fire was crackling, the Christmas tree lights were bright and the pumpkin pie was just like this. Homemade. For the second time in a mere few hours a tear slid down his face. He hadn’t noticed that everyone had begun singing. ‘oh holy night’.

Amanda turned to Lee, the smile again fading from her lips. Her finger tips wiped the tear away again. She kissed his cheek and whispered in his ear. “Sweetheart…are you ok?” He took a deep breath as the memory faded and he turned his head and rested his forehead against hers. “Yeah. I‘ll tell you later, alone.” She nodded and gave him a small kiss. Then he began singing along, never letting his eyes wander from Amanda’s.

After singing a few Christmas songs Lillian stood up. “Now, I’m going to grab a tray of those cookies of yours Amanda.” When Amanda looked at Lee he wiggled his eyebrows at her. “Good, I didn’t get any yet.”

“You lie…you were here when I was trying to ice them.” Lees eyes got big. He couldn’t believe that she just let everyone know that he had been here so late at night. She kept talking. “And you had more than a few. I’m glad I made so many. Between you and B…our boss.” She caught herself before she said Billy. They were lucky so far that Dotty hadn’t made the connection between their boss and William Melrose, agent. That they were the same person.

“Yeah, I heard he put a whole plate in with his present from all of us.”
“I wonder if any of them will make it home to his family.”

“Jeanie loves your cookies too. I’m sure he wouldn’t dare eat them all. How many did Francine eat?”

“I left her a plate of her own in her desk drawer on top of her purse.”

“What, no chocolate?” That was the end of the conversation because Lillian entered with the cookies.

“Here we go. The hot chocolate is on too.” She held the plate in front of Lee and he snagged a cookie. “Oh, no, you need a couple.” Lee chuckled and took two more.

“You’re absolutely right Aunt Lillian, I do need a few more.” Amanda’s mouth was open in surprise at his use of ‘Aunt’. “If you’re going to have your mouth open like that Dear, you should have a cookie to put in it.” Amanda quickly closed her mouth at her Aunts comment, then took a cookie. Dotty dimmed the lights so they could enjoy the lights from the fireplace and tree more. Then she walked over and turned the stereo on and the sounds of Christmas music softly drifted into the room. Amanda let her head rest on Lees shoulder and took a deep breath. Joe brought in a tray with the hot chocolate and handed each person a mug. Jamie added the marsh mellows.

The soft instrumental Christmas song faded out and a voice came on. “Now lets enjoy the Christmas song. This is Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra.

 

‘Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping on your nose’

Lee kissed Amanda’s nose again.
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir,
And folks dressed up like Eskimos.
Everybody knows a turkey and some mistletoe,
Help to make the season bright.
Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow,
Will find it hard to sleep tonight.
They know that Santa's on his way;
He's loaded lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh.
And every mother's child is going to spy, To see if reindeer really know how to fly.’
Lee and Amanda shared a secret look at that line.
‘And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To kids from one to ninety-two,
Although its been said many times, many ways, A very Merry Christmas to you’
Lee felt Amanda snuggle down deeper into his side and he smiled. Pulling his arm free from her hands he wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her even closer. He kissed the top of her head and then rested his cheek in the same spot.
“I better be going.” Joe said as he stood and looked at the boys. “Will you guys be ready if I pick you up about four?” He glanced at Amanda. She sat up a little and smiled. “We’re going to eat about 1 so they should be.”

“Sorry if I’m making you change your time but my parents really want to see them.”

“I understand, Joe. It’s been a long time since the boys have been there at Christmas.”

“Thanks, Amanda.” She stood and gave him a big hug. “See you tomorrow.” He shook Lees hand and hugged Dotty and Lillian as they showed him out.

The next song that came on made Lee smile.

“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…..”

Lee stood and held out his hand. He saw the look pass over her face, she was afraid he was going to leave. He smiled. “May I have this dance?” She smiled that wondrous smile again and put her hand in his. “Always.” She stood and they fell right into step together.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Ev'rywhere you go; Take a look in the five-and-ten, glistening once again With candy canes and silver lanes aglow. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, Toys in ev'ry store, But the prettiest sight to see is the holly that will be On your own front door. A pair of hopalong boots and a pistol that shoots Is the wish of Barney and Ben; Dolls that will talk and will go for a walk Is the hope of Janice and Jen; And Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Ev'rywhere you go; There's a tree in the Grand Hotel, one in the park as well, The sturdy kind that doesn't mind the snow. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas; Soon the bells will start, And the thing that will make them ring is the carol that you sing Right within your heart.

The announcers voice came on. ‘Let’s pick up the pace for just a moment and Rock around that good ole Christmas tree.’

“Alright!” the boys cheered and started dancing with their grandma and aunt. They had a great time enjoying the song and laughing. When the next song started the boys decided to sit down and eat a few more cookies. Lee held Amandas hands and their eyes met as the lyrics streamed lightly to their ears. Neither had to speak what this song was making them think. They just fell into step and never lost eye contact during the whole song.

 

‘I'm dreamin' tonight of a place I love
Even more then I usually do
And although I know it's a long road back
I promise you
I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree
Christmas Eve will find me

Where the love light beams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light beams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams
If only in my dreams’

As the song ended Phillip excitedly said, “I guess we’ll really have snow for Christmas! Look at it out!!!” Jamie hurried to join Phillip at the window.

Lillian and Dotty joined the boys. “Well, that does it. You are staying here tonight, Lee. No arguments. That car of yours was not made for driving in this weather.”

“Besides, he’d just have to turn around and come back for Amanda’s wonderful Christmas breakfast anyway.” Lillian added, looking at her watch. Lee looked at his and his eyes widened.

“I didn’t realize it was so late. I really should go.”

“The boy is charming and handsome, Dots, but he doesn’t hear with beans.” Lillian said to her sister. “See you all in the morning.” She smiled and made her way upstairs.

“Lee, I said you are staying here. That’s final.”

“Dotty, I appreciate your kind offer, but…”

“No buts. Amanda go make up the pull out in the living room.” Dotty shooed her off with her hands. Amanda knew her mother. She was going to use the few minutes alone with Lee to set the record straight about who was boss around here. She laughed to herself.

“Lee, Darling…listen, you and Amanda are in love. Nothing else matters. If you went out there and something happened to you she would never be ok. Besides, after the boys leave with Joe I’m taking Lillian to New York. That’s her Christmas present. A sister weekend. I feel bad that Panda would be here all alone. But I know I don’t have to worry about that now. You’ll be happy to keep her company for the weekend. Won’t you.” It wasn’t a question. She patted his cheek, then kissed it and smiled. “See you in the morning, Dear.” With that Dotty went upstairs.

“Well, night Lee.” Jamie said and headed for the stairs. “Yeah, sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite.”

“Funny, Chief.” Then he heard them say goodnight to their mother on their way upstairs. Lee rubbed the back of his neck. He was nervous. Why, he had no idea. He just was. Then Amandas hands reached around him from behind and took hold of his suite coat and began pulling it off.

“Amanda….”

“Shhh”

“No, listen.” he turned around and watched as she laid his jacket on the back of the chair.

“You are not going out in this. You don’t have to. You can stay right here. With me, where you belong.” Her hands made their way up his chest and around his neck as she was speaking. Her fingers began playing with his hair and all thoughts were gone from his mind except her. Their lips met and mingled for a long time. At some point he ended up seated on the couch with her in his lap.
Another song came on and Amanda pulled back slightly and looked in Lees eyes. She stood and held her hand out.

“I don’t want a lot for Christmas, there is just one thing I need. I don’t care about the presents underneath the Christmas tree, I just want you for my own, more than you could ever know. Make my wish come true all I want for Christmas is you.”

Amanda smiled wide and asked, “Well, are you going to make my wish come true Scarecrow, or not?” He gave her a lopsided grin and took her hand, gave her a wink and kissed her hand as he stood.

“Anything my beautiful fiance’s heart desires I will always give her.”

 

They danced as the song continued, the beat picked up and Lee smiled, he loved dancing with her, slow or fast.

 

“ I don’t need to hang my stocking there upon the fireplace Santa Clause won’t make me happy with a toy on Christmas Day I just want you for my own more than you could ever know Make my wish come true all I want for Christmas is you. Oh I won’t ask for much this Christmas I won’t even wish for snow and I’m just gonna keep on waiting underneath the mistletoe.” They hadn’t noticed Dotty, Lillian and the boys were now peeking around the corner at them. Lee and Amanda were laughing and dancing. Looking very relaxed, happy and in love.

“I won’t make a list and sent it to the north pole for saint nick I won’t even stay awake to hear those magic reindeer click ‘Cause I just want you here tonight, holding me so tight. What more can I do, Baby all I want for Christmas is you.”

The four watching them slowly made their way back up stairs.

“All I want for Christmas is you….”

Lee pulled Amanda close to him. They were still laughing silently. Unaware that they had eyes spying on them for a minute. When their eyes met the laughter turned to bright smiles and the bright smiles to a grin, then Lee brushed the back of his fingers across her cheek. “I love you more than you will ever know Manda.” He didn’t give her a chance to respond as his lips covered hers in a sweet kiss.

A short while later they were making sure everything was locked up, and lights were off. Amanda turned off the stereo and smiled up at Lee when he met her at the landing. “I guess this is goodnight, Mrs King.”

“No, I think I can get away with sleeping down here. I don’t think the boys will notice. Plus, I’ll hear them when they get up and I can head into the kitchen to make coffee so when they come down they won’t have any idea I was with you all night.”

“Amanda…I’m not sure that’s a great idea.”

“Lee, need I remind you what you said a short while ago. What ever your fiance’s heart desires….” She raised her eyebrows and smiled. He took a deep breath and smiled back. “What ever Mrs. Stetson wants. She gets.” He kissed her again. “Let’s go to bed then Mr. Stetson. Our boys will be up before we know it.”

“Our boys…I really like the sound of that.”

“ I do too.” She held his hand and led the way into the living room.

The next morning Amanda awoke and a smile came to her face when she realized Lee really had his arms around her. She glanced up at him. He was still fast asleep. He looked so much like a little boy when he slept. So at peace. He stirred slightly, his arm pulling her closer to him. He let out a contented sound. Amanda couldn’t help but notice his bare chest right in front of her. She smiled and lightly kissed him. Her left hand coming to rest there. She let out a contented sigh and closed her eyes again. Lee smiled, his arms squeezed her. He silently thanked God (and Santa) for the most precious gift he’d ever gotten. He’d truly meant it last night when he said, “I got my present already.” Everyday he learned something new about her that made him love her even more. He’d never survive without her. A pain of regret stabbed at him when he thought of their hidden engagement. Look at how things turned out last night. He belonged here. What were they doing? Who ever heard of hiding a marriage before? He felt like a heel all of a sudden for telling her the thought even crossed his mind. He didn’t want her to think he was anything but happy. He knew her so well. He knew there was a part of her that felt she wasn’t good enough for him. He tightened his hold again and kissed the top of her head as he took a deep breath in. His husky and sleepy voice softly saying, “hmm, My Amanda….for always…my manda, mmmm”

Amanda laid there with tears in her eyes. She had heard him talk about her in his sleep before. Like a short while before he actually told her he loved her. They were on a week long assignment as husband and wife. Lee had rolled over in the middle of the night and wrapped his arms around her, like now, his face buried in her neck, and said, “My Amanda…Love you…so much.” Then he took a deep breath and seemed to be sleeping deeply. Amanda smiled at the memory of that case. They had a wonderful time. They were away from prying eyes and were able to enjoy talking, laughing and touching. It was a very relaxing case. The easiest they ever had. Very unusual.

Now, all these months later, here they were, sleeping on her pull out, engaged. She’d never felt more loved in all her life. Lee made her feel like she was better than every woman in the world. Of course, how could she not feel that way when he’d been involved on some level with a great deal of them. She knew him, he hadn’t slept with as many as his reputation held him to. They had talked about it before. He told her everything. He had said that if she knew everything about him, there were no walls left and they could truly say there was nothing between them. She was surprised at first, but he came to that conclusion after finding out something about her that took him completely off guard. Something that he heard from someone else. He didn’t like that feeling. He wanted to know every single thing there was to ever know about her. They had sat down and went through all of her year books, pictures, and the like. Talking for hours. It had been wonderful. Then, she had sat at his place and did the same with his past. He had already shown her all the pictures he had. It was just a matter of filling in the old friends, family, and places he lived. Amandas thoughts were interrupted with the sound of feet hitting the floor above them. She stretched. “Lee…Lee…Sweetheart, you have to let me go so I can get up.”

“Hmmm, No, don’t go Manda. Stay…stay with me.”

“Lee, the boys are up. It’s time to make breakfast.”

“What?” He sat up quickly. “oh, sorry. I forgot there for a minute.” His hand reached up and scratched his head as he yawned.

“It’s ok, Sweetheart. Good morning, Merry Christmas, Lee.”

“Merry Christmas, My Amanda.” He kissed her softly then.

The boys thundering feet came down the stairs. “Mom, mom, where are you?”

Lees eyes got big. “What are we going to do now?”

“I already thought of something. She got up, put her robe on and met the boys in the kitchen.

“Good morning Fellas, Merry Christmas.” She hugged them Tightly and kissed the top of their heads.

“Merry Christmas, Mom.”

“Mom…” Jamie asked a little hesitantly.

“Yes, Sweetheart?” Amanda walked over to the sink and ran some water, then reached over and grabbed the coffee pot.

“Did you just come out of the living room?”

“Yes, I thought I should wake Lee before you two scared him awake.”

“Oh…ok.” Now that the coffee was going, the boys helped Amanda get everything else and helped her begin her special Christmas breakfast.

“Amanda, that was amazing. Thank you.” Lee said as he wiped his mouth with his napkin and stood.

“Well, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Especially since I know how you feel about breakfast.”

He kissed her cheek and walked to the coffee pot, brining it over to the table he filled her cup and Lillian and Dotty’s then his own.

“Yes, Darling, it was perfect like always.”

“Thank you, Mother.”

“Yes, Dear, wonderful. Thank you. And now, it’s time for us to start our early dinner.” Lillian said as she stood.

“Boys, you should go clean up the den.” Dotty said in a no nonsense voice.

They stood and cleared their plates. Lee took the cue and sat down next to his fiance, leaning over he gave her another kiss. “I love you. And I can’t believe we get to spend the next three days all alone….here.”

“Me, either. I guess we both get what we want for Christmas.”

“You bet.” Lee smiled and kissed her again.

z88;

I may write more later…but this is all I had time for to post by Christmas. Love to you all and I hope you ALL have a blessed Christmas and Wonderful New year!!