- Text Size +

‘Back in Black’

Shortly after ‘flight to freedom’ any time you want. But before stemwinder. Amanda helps Lee get over his fear of the dark….(remember, he likes to sleep with a light on because of a week he spent in Istanbul in the catacombs….)

Lee was relaxing for the night. His feet propped on the coffee table, drink next to him on the end table, book in his lap. A knock sounded at the door and he let out a sigh. Getting up slowly he answered it. Surprised to see Amanda.

“Amanda?” She was loaded down with a grocery bag, and what looked to be an overnight bag.

“What’s going on?”

“I’m hear to help my friend get over his fear of sleeping in the dark.”

“Amanda, that isn’t necessary.”

“Believe me, it is.”

“What’s that supposed to mean? And why’s that?”

“Well, if we’re going to continue to sleep together, then, you’re going to be able to sleep with the lights off.” She said as she strode into the living room. Lee watched her walk away with his mouth open.

“Amanda…….” he shut the door and followed her into the kitchen.

“Now, I know what you’re going to say.” She spoke as she put the groceries away. “You’re going to repeat that it isn’t necessary and that it’s very sweet of me and such, but…” She folded the bag and turned to look at him. “….I’m serious as can be and I’m not leaving here until you can sleep in the dark.”

“Not leaving until I can sleep in the dark, hmmm? So, does that mean if it takes a year, you’ll be here a whole year?” He leaned toward her. “Because, you know, I probably wouldn’t complain about that.”

“Stop it.” She swatted him playfully. They both laughed lightly. “So, to start, we’ll pull all the shades.” She walked into the dinning room and pulled the shade, then proceeded into the living room.

“But I’m not ready to go to sleep yet.”

“Good.” He continued to watch as she went around the whole apartment closing all the shades. He leaned in the doorway to his bedroom and watched. She was making sure all the window were locked too. They got back into the living room and Lee took in a deep breath. It was much darker. Even though it was still light outside. Amanda turned back to him and smiled. He couldn’t help but smile back.

“Already bothering you?” He nodded. “Oh, come here.” She reached her hand out and grabbed his arm. She walked him to the couch and they sat down. “Okay, now, you’re going to tell me all about it.”

“All about what? I told you about the week in Istanbul in the catacombs with big rats. There isn’t anything else to tell.”

“I’m a mother, Lee, I can tell when you’re holding something back.” Lee let out a big sigh.

“Oh, Amanda. Really, I don’t want to get into this.”

“Which is why you still can’t sleep in the dark. Tell me this…when did this thing in Istanbul take place?”

“Oh, about two years before we met.”

“Okay, and for the last four years…..not a single one of your….. lady friends ever said anything about it?”

“I usually went home, or made sure they were asleep first.” He answered her quietly and with his head down. His carpet suddenly became a focal point.

“Lee……” The tone of her voice called his eyes to hers. “I want to help you. I’m not here to make you feel bad about this. I helped both the boys overcome their fear of the dark and Jamie’s fear of snakes. Even though I’m afraid of snakes too.”

“So, you overcame your fear too?”

“I guess I did.” She smiled at him and was rewarded with his smile in return. “Now, fill in the details so I can help you better.”

“I don’t think you should hear this. I don’t want you to hear this.”

“Lee…..” His eyes studied her closely.

“You already know.”

“Well, you still have to go over it all if this is going to work.”

“Alright, you win. Where do you want me to start?”

“Just start from your first night.”

“If you insist. Okay, well, they threw me into this dark, cold, wet, and small stone room…….”

It took about an hour for Lee to get to the end of the story. “…….then, for the last two days of our stay he didn’t say a word. When they finally opened the door to let me out, light poured in and I saw him…..He was still chained, but he had been……”

“Eaten by rats.” She finished for him.

“Yeah.” She closed his eyes and shook slightly at the reminder.

“Sweetheart…” Amanda reached out and placed her hands on his chest. “…why do you think you never heard him scream?” he pondered her question for a moment. He had never given it any thought before. “You never heard him scream because he was already dead. That’s why the rats went ahead with him.” Lee just sat there for a moment thinking. When he looked into her eyes again he gave her a curious look.

“How is it that you can sit here and talk about something so…..awful, so calmly?

“Because I already read the file. And I wasn’t there. But I’m here now, and I want you to get over this. You need to get over it. For you.” Lee pulled her into a hug and took a deep breath.

“Thank you, Amanda.”

“Anytime.”

“So, what’s the next step in this therapy session of yours?”

“Ready for it?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“You might think this is mean of me, but….” She got up off the sofa and went to the door. She unlocked it and stepped out. She was carrying a clear box when she came back in.

“No way, you did not bring a rat into my apartment.”

“You’re right, I didn’t.” She held the box up and turned on the lamp. Lee took a close look. It was a toy rat inside. She sat it on the coffee table. He stared at it. She clapped her hands, it moved, and made noise. Lee looked at it and up at her.

“Where did you get that?”

“Pet shop. It’s actually a cat’s toy.”

“A toy….a toy is supposed to help me?”

“Well, I can go get the boys hamster if you want.”

“No, no, this will do just fine. Wait….you have a….a rodent in your house?”

“They have a hamster in one cage and a gerbil in another.”

“You don’t mind?”

“Easier to take care of than a dog.”

“And if they get loose? I thought you only allowed them to have fish?”

“It’s a trial run. They’ve got to the end of the month to prove they can take care of them.”

“What if one gets loose?” He asked again.

“Then they better find it before my vacuum does.” She folded her arms, then looked at him with a question on her face. “Don’t tell me you’ll never step foot in my house again because of two harmless little balls of fur.” he didn’t answer right away. Partly to tease her, but a slight part of him was really pondering not stepping foot in her door until they were gone. “Lee.” She said in a firm and slightly loud tone. He chuckled lightly.

“Hey, relax. Nothing could keep me from you.” His chuckled faded when their eyes met and the true meaning of his words sank in. Lee let out a deep breath and held his arm out for her to sit with him. She sat down and let her back rest against him. “Couldn’t you have talked them into getting a bird?” They laughed slightly.

“Oh, sure. They wanted the very expensive one that didn’t come in a cage and swore.”

“Hmm, who knows, maybe someday they’ll get one as a present.”

“Don’t you dare. Those things are expensive.” They laughed a little harder as Amanda filled Lee in on all the colorful things the beautiful bird said.

“You’re kidding me. It actually said….”

“Yes. The store owner finally came over and took him to the back room.” Their laughter faded and Lee took a breath.

“So, is there any more steps to your plan, Dr. King.”

“Yes.” She got up and picked her overnight bag up from where she left it by the kitchen door. She unzipped it and searched around a minute, pulling out a tape.

“Oh, no. Don’t tell me that’s a movie with rats.”

“It’s not….Exactly.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“You’ll see.” She said as she turned the tv on, put the tape in the vcr and pressed play. She sat back in her spot, cuddled up, her back against Lee. When the title came onto the screen Lee groaned.

“Awe, Amanda. You think this…children’s movie will help me?”

“Oh, just hush and watch.”

“Alright.” She kicked her shoes off, picked up the throw pillow from the end of the couch, put it on Lees lap and laid her head on it. Lee tried to hold back the chuckle. ‘Now, this was the way to watch a movie.’ He put his feet on the coffee table, right next to the box with the fake rat. It wasn’t long before Lees hand was running over Amanda’s head, playing with her hair, and running up and down her arm, resting on her side. His hand seemed to have a mind of it’s own. Like it had made these movements everyday of his life. His hands seemed to know her whole body like his own. Better even. Suddenly, they both jumped in reaction to the movie. Amanda sat up and Lees left arm stayed around her. Her hands held his left. She pulled her knees up, her feet flat on the couch in front of her. Lee’s right hand rested on her knee. A short time later, the movie ended. Amanda stood and rubbed her neck. Lee leaned forward and studied the ‘rat’ for a minute. Amanda then got up and went into the bedroom with her bag in hand. Lee was still looking at the toy rat. He hesitantly clapped his hands. It made a noise and the paws moved like it was scratching for a way out. Lee closed his eyes and cringed. Talking about it seemed to help, but now that the time came to get to sleep…..he wasn’t so sure he could do it. Not with that ‘thing’ in here anyway. He glanced toward his bedroom door and let a tiny grin appear on his face. He stood, picked the box up, and went into the kitchen. When he came back out Amanda was waiting, arms crossed, that ‘mother’ look on her face.

“What!” He asked, the same way an annoyed teenager would. She raised her eyebrows at him and nodded down at the coffee table.

“Lee.” He swallowed, stepped to the table and gathered their glasses. She followed him into the kitchen. He put the glasses in the sink and saw her in the doorway when she turned back around. “Let’s see, you came out of here…..” She glanced around.

“Amanda, I am no longer afraid of the dark. Thank you for everything. I’m sure I can sleep just fine now. So, the toy isn’t necessary.”

“Well see about that.” She left the room and quickly re entered with a pillow and blanket. She tossed them onto the floor and nodded at it.

“No….I’m not sleeping on this floor Amanda. Not when I don’t have to.”

“Are you …..afraid… to sleep in here?”

“No.” Lee answered a little to quickly, and in a voice that was meant to sound more confident than he really was.

“Hmmm, night Big Fella.” She kissed his cheek and left the room, turning the light off on her way.

“Amanda, I am not sleeping on my kitchen floor.” His only response was her clapping hands, and the sound of the ‘rat’ from nearby. He let out a deep sigh and sank down. “This is ridiculous.” he muttered.

Her voice drifted to him from his room. “If you bring the rat with you, you’re more than welcome to join me.” Lee seemed to move faster than ever. He scooted over to the cupboard and reached way in the back, pulling out the box and ‘rat’, then grabbed the pillow and blanket. Amanda’s laugh echoed through the apartment when he entered the room.

Finished….maybe-