- Text Size +

July 4, 1986

The Fourth of July began cloudy and dry. Amanda was excited because she was in New York with Lee to help with security prior to the Statue of Liberty's centennial celebration. They had spent the last few days going over security details with the Secret Service and everything had run smoothly. In fact, they had finished their work late the night before. Since the boys were with Joe for the weekend, they had offered to stay in New York for the duration of the celebration, in case anything came up. Billy had agreed, with a knowing little grin on his face. They had plans to spend the time together, maybe watch the fireworks. Amanda was excited to spend the day with Lee and couldn't wait to get started.

As she got ready, the phone rang. "Hello?" Amanda asked, then smiled. "Hi, Lee. I'll meet you there in 5 minutes." She hung up the phone and sighed happily. A tiny part of her still couldn't believe that Lee was actually interested in her romantically. Over the last year, she had felt him giving signs and then that kiss in the Q Bureau...well, it was just everything she'd wanted and more. Since then, they had gone on a few dates when they could, eating at Emelio's for dinner or going to a movie. With a sigh, she quickly finished getting dressed, then grabbed her purse and headed to her hotel door. Just as she was about to walk out, there was a knock. She opened the door and grinned. Lee was standing there.

"Good morning," Lee smiled. "I couldn't wait any longer, so I figured I'd just meet you here instead of at the restaurant." He leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. A quick jolt of electricity flooded through both of them. How could one little kiss do that? Lee wondered. Yet, it happened every single time. It was something he'd never experienced before.

Amanda grinned. "Good morning to you! I was just heading out to meet you." Lee grinned back, then took her hand and led her to the elevators. As they entered the elevator, Lee looked at her and said, "So, I was looking at some the events they have planned today and saw that they're having a naval review on the Hudson. Do you want to check it out? Might be fun..."

Amanda nodded and said, "That sounds great, Lee. When is it?"

"In about an hour...we could grab some coffee and a donut or something, and then head out...if you want," Lee answered. He looked at Amanda and smiled. Part of him couldn't believe that they were actually dating. He'd had fantasies about her for what seemed like a lifetime, but he'd never thought he'd ever be in a relationship with her. Now, he couldn't believe he'd waited so long.

She nodded her agreement and they headed outside. Together, they walked down the street to a little corner bakery. They both ordered coffee, and Amanda picked up a blueberry muffin. Lee hailed a cab and they were off to view the ships.

SMK SMK

At 1:00, Lee and Amanda were back at the hotel. The ships had been breathtaking. There had been naval ships and sailing ships from around the globe, with President Reagan watching from the USS Iowa. They had enjoyed sitting on a park bench, with Lee's arm around her, watching the ships pass by. It had been a lovely, lazy morning. As they approached the elevators, Lee said, "Amanda, I'm going to go check and see if we have any messages. Do you want to meet in the restaurant in, say, 20 minutes?"

"Sure, Lee, sounds like a plan to me," Amanda smiled. She headed to her room to freshen up. The light on her phone was blinking, so she went to retrieve her message. It was her mother.

"Amanda, I was just checking in and wanted to see if you were having a good time. I am heading out in a few minutes with Captain Kurt. We're going to fly to the coast for a clambake...doesn't that sound like fun? Anyway, I hope you're having fun...maybe you'll meet some handsome devil...don't do anything I wouldn't do. Love you...goodbye!"

Amanda grinned at the message. Her mother would never change, always wanted Amanda to meet someone. Amanda wondered to herself what her mother would think of Lee. She grinned at the look she imagined her mother would give her. "She'd probably say he was an eleven or something!" Amanda laughed. Dotty would love Lee...hopefully, one day she'd be able to introduce them to each other. "I wonder what the boys would think of him. Phillip would love his car right off, but what would Jamie think?" With those thoughts, she finished freshening up, then headed down to the restaurant. A few minutes later, she saw Lee heading towards her with a big grin on his face.

"You are never going to believe who left me a message," Lee said. He clasped his hands behind his back and rocked back and forth on his feet.

"Who?" Amanda laughed. She loved when Lee acted like this. He was like a kid in a candy store!

"Emily," Lee grinned.

"Emily?" Amanda responded. "How did she find you?"

"Well..." Lee drawled and shrugged his shoulders. He loved surprising Amanda- she was always so excited and happy with anything he gave her. "OK, I knew there was a chance she might be here for the centennial, but didn't know if things would work out, so I let her know where we would be...and she called."

"So..." Amanda asked.

"So," Lee smiled. "How would you like to meet her for dinner at the Russian Tea Room?"

"That would be wonderful, Lee! How long has it been since we've seen Emily...two years?"

"Something like that. This is great! I told her we'd meet her at 6...was that OK?" Lee looked a little uncertain. He'd been sure that Amanda would want to see Emily, but he didn't know if he should've accepted without asking her first. This whole relationship thing was a mystery to him, and he was afraid of messing it up. It was funny- he'd spent the last few years teaching Amanda how to be an agent, and now she was teaching him how to be in a normal, loving relationship.

Amanda watched as Lee seemed to squirm a little. "Lee, it was perfectly fine to accept. Normally, it would be a good idea to check with me, but in this case, you knew exactly how I would feel. You did fine," she said as she rubbed his arm. He smiled at her and they gazed into each other's eyes. The world seemed to fade away for a minute, then Amanda shook her head and said, "I think we might want to go ahead and eat lunch then, don't you think?"

Lee grinned, kissed her gently, and led her into the restaurant.

SMK SMK

As Lee and Amanda approached the legendary Russian Tea Room, he glanced over at her. She was so beautiful, especially when she dressed up a little. She was wearing a black pantsuit with a dark red sequined jacket and her hair was pulled back with matching red combs. He led her to the maître d', then asked if Emily had arrived. The maître d' nodded and led them to one of the Tea Room's famous red banquettes. Emily stood and greeted Amanda with a hug. "Amanda! It's been far too long since I've seen you!"

"Emily!" Amanda exclaimed. "I can't tell you how excited I was when Lee told me we were going to see you tonight!"

"Yes, Emily," Lee added. "It's been far too long." He took Emily's hand, then pulled her into a hug. Amanda and Lee stood together and Emily glanced at them appraisingly before motioning for them to sit.

"I hope you don't mind, dearies," Emily said, "But I went ahead and ordered an appetizer for us." She smiled. "So, Amanda, tell me...how have you been?"

Amanda launched into small talk about her boys and mother, with Emily making little comments here and there. However, while Amanda gabbed, Emily kept glancing at Lee. Lee was riveted on Amanda, laughing here and there, but never looking away. He never noticed Emily watching him. Soon, the waiter arrived, bringing the Caviar Tasting appetizer and a bottle of Chardonnay.

"Caviar?" Amanda exclaimed. "Emily, this is too much!"

"Nonsense," Emily replied. "Nothing is too much for good friends I see far too little of. Tonight is my treat. I want to celebrate our nation's birthday and reunite with my ‘niece and nephew'."

They shared the caviar, remarking on its flavor and the wine. The waiter arrived for their orders. Emily ordered the Shaslik Tasting, while Lee ordered the Chicken a la Czar. Amanda went back and forth, finally settling on Chicken Kiev. Emily ordered a Merlot for their dinner and they continued to chit chat. Throughout the evening, Emily would watch Lee, then Amanda. Neither of them seemed to notice the elder spy's interest, but continued trying not to let on that they were a couple.

After dinner was finished, Amanda excused herself to the ladies' room. After placing an order for the Famous Tea Room Blintzes and coffee, Emily turned to Lee.

"So," Emily began with a smile. "You've finally realized you're in love with Amanda. I'm so happy for you!"

Lee stared at Emily in disbelief. "How did you...I mean, what are talking about, Emily?"

"Lee, I've known you for a very long time. It's obvious, at least to me, that you are in love with her. You can't keep your eyes off of her," Emily whispered to him. "I realize that this must be fairly new to you, and maybe you haven't even admitted it to yourself, but it's there in your eyes. You love Amanda...and I can't say how much I approve of your choice! I've known since our sojourn in Germany that you were made for each other."

Lee continued staring at Emily. He couldn't believe that Emily had figured it out so quickly. In love with Amanda...yes, he knew deep down that he was. He knew that he couldn't imagine his life without her, but he wasn't ready to tell her he loved her yet. Call it fear, call it cowardice, whatever...Lee had never felt this way before, and he was just getting used to being in a real relationship. He didn't want to rush...no, he was, plain and simple, afraid to tell her right now. What if she didn't feel the same?

"Emily..." Lee began. "I really..." he stopped and looked at his friend, the closest thing he really had to a mother. "You're right...I do...I don't really know when it happened, but I do...and I'm terrified that she..."

"Are you seeing each other?"

"Yes," Lee couldn't believe he'd admitted it someone, but it felt so good to let someone in on their secret. He knew Emily could be trusted.

"Then that should answer your question.  Though, frankly, Lee, I'm surprised at you. It should be obvious to you how much Amanda loves you. She's loved you for a long time, but couldn't show it until she knew you were ready to see it," Emily whispered, laying a hand over his.

"Do you really think she loves me? Is in love with me?" Lee stammered. "I mean, I think so, but..."

"But you've never allowed yourself to be open to any kind of lasting relationship? Lee, that woman loves you more than anything. She would do anything for you, risk life and limb...yes, Lee, she's in love with you," Emily laughed at the poor fellow. "And you should tell her how you feel."

"I will, Emily, but I'm not ready yet," Lee answered, then held up his hand to silence Emily as she started to speak. "I promise...I will tell her soon...just not right now."

Before they could continue, Amanda returned. Lee stood to allow her back into the banquette and Emily smiled at her. Their evening continued with laughter and stories, long into the evening. Emily was so happy for her friends. She'd been so worried about Lee for so long, and now it seemed that he had finally found true love.

SMK SMK

It was midnight and Amanda was settling into bed for the evening. It had been a long, glorious day spent with Lee. After their dinner with Emily, Lee and Amanda had headed back to the hotel to watch the fireworks from his balcony. It had been an amazing display, the largest in American history. As they stood watching the majestic show, Lee put his arms around Amanda and she leaned back into them. They stood like that for what seemed like an eternity until the show ended. Then, Amanda turned around and gazed into Lee's eyes.

"Lee," Amanda whispered. "Today has been the best Fourth of July in my life...because of you. You are amazing." She smiled at him and he leaned down and began to kiss her. Their lips met and the familiar jolt of electricity traveled throughout her body. Lee deepened the kiss and Amanda felt like she would melt into the floor. It amazed her what a simple kiss from Lee could do to her. She wondered what it would be like to be with him completely, then all thoughts flew out of her head as they continued to embrace.

"Amanda," Lee whispered. "I want to tell you that I...I...well, I..." Amanda looked at him expectantly. Was he going to tell her that he loved her? She thought that he did, but he hadn't said it out loud yet. "I...am so glad that you and I are...together now. You make me feel..." Lee gave up trying to say it, and just pulled her towards him and kissed her again. They had stayed that way for a long time, enjoying the closeness and being swept up in the emotion. Eventually, Lee had walked her back to her room, kissing her one last glorious time, promising to see her in the morning.

Looking back on the evening, Amanda thought to herself, ‘He does love me. He just can't say it yet...and that's OK. He's never been involved like this before and, sometimes, I just can't believe he picked me!' She remembered the previous few Fourth of Julys: last year's with Penny, "Wouldn't Penny gloat right now!" Amanda giggled; her first family date with Dean, "Poor Dean," she said, shaking her head, "He really never stood a chance after I met Lee!"; and then, she remembered the last one with Joe. At the time, she'd thought her life was over, that she was a failure. Now, she realized that, without that painful decision that day, she wouldn't have the life she had now. It had been rough surviving the divorce, but it had turned out to be the best decision of her life. Joe was meant to be her friend, she realized. Lee, on the other hand...Lee was her soulmate.

Yes, life was full of surprises. Lee was the best surprise of all.

SMK SMK

It was midnight and Lee was staring out his window. It had been a wonderful day with Amanda. He thought about his conversation with Emily. "She really knows me too well," Lee said to himself, laughing. He felt really lucky to have people like Emily...and Billy in his corner. He thought back to the many times Billy had insisted that Lee work with Amanda, and when Emily had "suggested" they use Amanda for various cases. With a smile, he realized that his two friends had figured it out long before Lee did- that Amanda was exactly what he needed.

He thought back to that horrible Fourth of July in 1982 when he lost his partner, Eric. He thought about how he had sworn never to have a partner again, and how he had pushed everyone away. And now...now, he had the best partner he'd ever had, and he loved her. He loved Amanda. It felt so right to think those words. "I love Amanda," Lee said out loud.

He thought back earlier to when they were watching fireworks. It had felt like heaven to hold Amanda in his arms. Kissing her was the most incredible feeling in the world. He wondered what it would be like to hold her in his arms all night long, becoming one with her. He had come so close tonight to telling her that he loved her, but he just couldn't do it...not yet. He wanted to make sure that he was worthy of her love before he told her.

He'd been with so many women...and Amanda had seen quite a few of them. He remembered Amanda and Eva. "Amanda saw through her in a minute," he sighed. "I am so lucky she's stuck by me and helped me all these years." He thought about Amanda's impression of Randi and the other "lady friends" she'd met at various times. "I can't believe I ever wanted to be with any of them. They were so shallow compared to Amanda." He thought about Elisa Danton. It had been years since he'd seen her, but he knew she couldn't hold a candle to Amanda.

Amanda was so much better than any of those women. She was a fighter, unwilling to let anything or anyone hurt her children. She was courageous, never flinching when danger threatened. She was intelligent, figuring out problems when no one else could. She was simply Amanda, and he never wanted to be apart from her. He loved Amanda more than he ever thought possible, but he wanted to make sure that she knew she was different from anyone in his past before he used those words. He needed Amanda to know that she was his soulmate.

Life was full of many surprises. Amanda was the best surprise of all.