- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

July 4, 1989

The Fourth of July began dreary and wet. Amanda was hoping that the day would brighten as it went along. The Weather Channel didn't give her much hope, but she wasn't giving up. Joe and Carrie were coming over for an old-fashioned barbeque, along with Billy and Jeannie, and Ephraim Beaman, who she'd finally become friends with. She knew that Katie's first Fourth of July was going to be spectacular. As she bustled about the kitchen, gathering things for breakfast, she kept an ear open to the baby monitor. At 3½ months, Katie was finally sleeping through the night, and Amanda hoped she could get breakfast going before she woke up.

As she began cracking eggs, she heard the back door opening. "Good morning, Mother," she called out as Dotty entered the kitchen.

"Good morning, darling. Ooh, you've started breakfast! Katie still asleep?" Dotty kissed her daughter on the cheek and went to the coffeemaker to pour herself a cup.

"Nope, Grandma. Katie just woke up and wants to play," Lee answered as he came in, cuddling his daughter in his arms. He walked over to Amanda and kissed her, then asked, "What do you need me to do? Katie doesn't seem hungry yet."

Amanda smiled and took her daughter from Lee, gave her a kiss, and snuggled her up close. "Well, I've got breakfast going here. You could go in the den with her and watch the news if you want."

Lee smiled and said, "Sure, how ‘bout it, pumpkin? Want to go watch the news with Daddy?" He took the baby and walked into the den.

Dotty laughed at Lee, then proceeded to help her daughter prepare breakfast. "So, Amanda, what time is everyone arriving? I'm so glad that Joe and Carrie are coming with Sarah. This should be a fun day with two babies to fuss over."

"I told everyone that I was planning on having the food ready around 3, so they could come anytime they want. I figured Joe and his girls will get here early to spend time with the boys. But, I don't plan on anyone else getting here until 2 at the earliest."

Dotty started setting the table as Amanda finished scrambling the eggs. Lee walked in with the baby a few moments later, saying, "She's fussy now. Do you want me to get her bottle ready?"

Dotty came over and took the baby while Amanda spooned eggs into a plate. Lee looked over at his "girls" and smiled. It was amazing how content he felt. His life was everything he could have wanted...actually, everything he never thought he wanted. His daughter was beautiful and his family was happy. Life couldn't get any better than this.

SMK SMK

At noon, Joe and Carrie arrived with their daughter, Sarah. Phillip and Jamie ran out to help Joe bring in Sarah's things, while Amanda helped Carrie bring in potato salad. Lee met them at the door with Katie, and Sarah let out a huge laugh.

"Wow, Carrie, I can't believe how much she's grown!" Amanda said as she smiled at Sarah. "It's only been a week or so, but I swear she's grown an inch!"

"Don't I know it?" Carrie agreed. "She's only eleven months, but she's already wearing 18-month clothes! The last year has flown by. She's changed so much!"

Amanda smiled at Carrie. She really was perfect for Joe. Carrie had become a stay-at-home mother like Amanda had been with the boys, leaving her law practice behind. Joe seemed to be happy back in the States, and very happy with his new family. The boys loved Carrie as well and the two families had developed a really good relationship over the past few years. Lee and Amanda had even taken to watching Sarah every once in awhile to give Carrie and Joe a night out. Joe's parents had passed away while he'd still been married to Amanda, and Carrie's had been gone for a long time. With no extended family of their own, Amanda had welcomed Carrie, and now Sarah, into the fold.

"Well, Lee, looks like you've got a keeper there," Joe said as he walked in the door, smiling at Katie and Lee. Lee laughed and shut the door behind every one. Carrie spread a blanket out on the floor and put some of Sarah's toys on it. Sarah crawled over to them and immediately put one of the dolls' arms into her mouth. Jamie got on the floor with her and started playing with her, so Carrie got up and headed to the kitchen with Amanda.

"Amanda, thank you so much for inviting us over here today," Carrie gushed. She watched as Amanda started cleaning up the kitchen and getting things ready for the barbecue later on. "How do you do everything? I feel like I'm just getting into the groove of things at home."

"Oh, Carrie, you're doing great," Amanda responded, seeing the look of guilt on the younger woman's face. "You have to remember, I've been doing this a lot longer than you have, plus I have my mother and two boys to help me out. When Phillip was Sarah's age, I felt just like you did."

Carrie's face lit up. "Really, Amanda? That makes me feel so much better. I mean, sometimes Joe works so late, and I feel like I have no one to...well, I guess I just really miss my mom at times. I wish I'd had a brother or sister to talk to when I get lonely."

"Well, Carrie," Amanda walked over to her and put her arm around her shoulder. "You are always welcome here. You know you can always come visit Mother during the day...Sarah can play with Katie when she's a little bit bigger. I know they really aren't related, but they share brothers and that's still family in my book."

"You know, Amanda, that really is sweet. It really means a lot to me," Carrie answered. She couldn't believe her luck in having this woman as Joe's ex-wife. She was so welcoming and friendly. She hoped that Amanda, and Lee, would be receptive to what she and Joe wanted to ask of them. She turned around to the den and saw her husband laughing with his sons. She really did love Joe, even if he worked more than she liked. He glanced up and saw her, then gave her a brilliant smile. Lee turned around and saw Carrie there and grinned as well. Carrie turned around and saw Amanda behind her. Yes, it was nice to be a part of a family again. Since her parents had been died in that boating accident while she was in law school, Carrie had had to deal with everything alone. Now, she felt like she had people to rely on in good times and bad.

SMK SMK

At 2:15, Billy and Jeannie arrived with apple pies and ice cream, quickly followed by Francine at 2:30 and Ephraim at 2:45. By 3:00, Lee had manned the grill and Amanda was coordinating the kitchen with help from Jeannie. Dotty had taken the babies up to Katie's nursery and put them down for a nap, telling Carrie to relax and enjoy herself. Joe and the boys were playing catch in the front yard, while Francine, Ephraim, and Billy sat in lawn chairs and visited with Lee.

When everything was ready, Amanda called the crowd together and they all dug in to the barbecue feast. Since it had rained on and off all day, the group divided up into the breakfast nook and the dining room. Phillip, Jamie, Carrie, Joe, and Dotty sat in the breakfast area with the two babies, who were ready to eat. The rest sat in the dining room and enjoyed the meal while laughing over the various exploits the agents had encountered over the last few years.

Billy especially laughed, saying, "Lee, I never thought I'd live to see you settled down, with a wife and a family, and grilling barbecue."

"Yeah, if you had told me 5 or 6 years ago, that I'd be sitting in this dining room as a full-fledged member of this family I would have thought you were off your rocker, Billy," Lee admitted. "But, now, I can't believe I waited as long as I did!"

"Well, you certainly waited long enough to tell us, Lee," Francine jumped in. "When I think that I tried to warn Amanda away from you when you were already engaged...I think you still owe for me for that one, Stetson." Amanda and Lee shared a smile and then joined in the laughter with everyone else.

"Well, I for one knew the instant Billy told me about Amanda that she was going to change you, Lee," Jeannie said. "He laughed so hard when he described how you dealt with her those first few months, but I knew. She was just what you needed."

Lee smiled at Amanda and grabbed her hand. "Jeannie, you are absolutely right. I couldn't be happier to be proven so wrong."

Amanda glanced at Francine, who looked a little sad. Then, she glanced at Ephraim, who kept glancing over at Francine when he thought no one was looking. ‘Hmm,' she thought to herself. ‘Maybe Francine needs someone totally different from what she's used to...just like Lee...and, let's face it, I...did.' She glanced at Lee, who gave her a smirk. He knew exactly what she was thinking.

SMK SMK

After everyone had eaten and the kitchen had been cleaned, the boys turned on the TV to watch baseball. They found a game between Cleveland and the White Sox. Billy, Jeannie, Francine, and Ephraim joined them, while Dotty went to her garage apartment to call her sister, Lillian.

Amanda sat in the living room, rocking Katie, while Lee fixed her a bottle. Joe sat on the couch with a sleeping Sarah sprawled across his lap. Carrie sat next to him with her head on Joe's shoulder. As Lee walked in, Carrie sat up and looked at Joe, who nodded.

Lee handed the bottle to Amanda and asked, "Do you want me to take her?"

"Only if you want to," Amanda smiled. "I'm fine otherwise."

Lee glanced at Katie, who was snuggled up against Amanda, half asleep but beginning to fuss. "She looks comfortable. I'll get the next one." Amanda smiled and began to feed the bottle to her daughter while Lee settled into a chair next to her.

"Um, Lee, Amanda," Joe began, glancing at Carrie, "Since we have the two of you alone, I was wondering, well, we were wondering if we could talk to you about something important."

Amanda looked at Lee and then down at her baby. ‘Oh my gosh, I really, really hope he isn't going to tell me they're moving to Africa. Please don't tell me you're leaving our boys, my boys again!"

Lee looked at the baby and then at Amanda. ‘Joe, I swear if you are about to tell me you are abandoning our boys again, I really don't know what I'll do. How can you even think of taking that precious girl to a Third World nation? You are one seriously messed up guy!'

Joe watched both of them and realized what they must be thinking. He really couldn't blame them for thinking the worst of him. He'd left his family for a dream that turned out to be a nightmare. Sure, he loved the people of Estoccia and the former Prime Minister, but he'd thrown away so much more. Now, he had a second chance with Carrie and Sarah and he wasn't about to throw it away. He'd worked very hard reestablishing relationships with his sons and Amanda, and forging a friendship with Lee. "I know that I haven't always been the best father to our boys, but I hope I've proven to you both that I am a different person now. I have no intention of going anywhere for a long time."

Amanda let out a sigh. "Oh, Joe, I'm so glad to hear that. You had me scared there for a minute!"

Lee nodded with her and said, "Joe, I'm sorry I misjudged you. But, if you aren't telling us you're leaving...then what's up?"

Carrie spoke up, "First of all, I want to tell both of you how grateful I am for you to welcome me into your family. I've...I've," she tried to hold it together and took a deep breath, "I've been without that for a very long time, and I can't tell you what it means to me."

"We both feel like this," Joe continued. "I am so grateful to you, Amanda, for keeping me in our boys' lives even when I wasn't around. I hear all the time about bad exes and how people hate their ex-wives or their ex-husbands and it amazes me that we continue to be a family, albeit a totally different one than we thought we'd end up with." Amanda smiled at Lee. "We have the relationship we do because of your efforts, Amanda."

"Joe," Amanda cut in, "I couldn't have done it without you. We've all worked really hard to make this what it is."

"That's true," Carrie whispered. "But, you laid the foundation for it all. You are the most amazing mother, and I've learned a lot from you."

"Which brings us to the point of all this...mushiness, as Phillip would call it," Joe laughed, and the others joined with him. "Lee, Amanda, Carrie and I have spent the last few weeks writing our wills and doing some estate planning. You know us lawyers, we like to have everything in place just in case anything was to happen..."

"When my parents died, they didn't have a will," Carrie continued. "It made it a little difficult for me, but I was lucky enough to have a great law professor who helped me get through probate and everything else. I don't want my daughter to ever have to deal with any of those issues. So..."

"We want to name you both as legal guardians of Sarah, if that's OK with you," Joe finished. "We can't think of anyone else we'd rather have raise our daughter if we aren't able to. She'd be with her brothers and have a good life."

"Please say yes, Amanda," Carrie pleaded.

Amanda and Lee looked at each other. They'd had plans in place since they'd been married, knowing that their jobs had such terrible risks at times. She was glad to know that Carrie and Joe were on top of things, even though it was very unlikely they'd ever have a need to use the wills.

"Joe, Carrie, we'd be honored to be Sarah's guardians," Lee answered. Amanda smiled and Carrie came over to hug her.

"Thank you, Amanda, Lee. I can't tell you what a big relief this is!"

SMK SMK

Around 9:00, Joe and Carrie left, taking Sarah, Phillip, and Jamie with them. Joe was going to take the boys camping for the rest of the week and they were excited about it. Not long after, Billy and Jeannie left as well. Dotty headed to her garage apartment with Katie, telling Amanda and Lee that she was giving them the night off. She had a crib in her apartment for what she called "girls night in".

Amanda, Lee, Ephraim, and Francine sat in the den, watching the Boston Pops perform their annual concert. After a few minutes, Amanda offered to make coffee, and asked Francine to join her in the kitchen. Francine sat at the counter with a sigh.

Seeing an opening, Amanda asked, "Francine, what's got you down?"

"Oh, I don't know, Amanda," Francine sighed. "Sometimes it just seems like...I don't know. I guess I'm a little envious of Lee. He is so happy now."

Amanda watched as Francine seemed to sink into the stool. She knew that Francine hadn't been happy in awhile, but hadn't known how to help her. Francine had finally broken things off with Jonathan about a year ago, and had begun her merry-go-round dating pattern again. "Why are you envious, Francine? I mean, you've got a fabulous apartment, designer clothes, and you never lack for dates," Amanda responded.

"You're right- I have all those things. But they mean nothing...I have nothing. I go home to an empty apartment. My dates are all the same- lots of money, dazzling features, and no sparks whatsoever. I wasted what seems like a lifetime on that jerk, Jonathan, and what am I left with? Nothing but regret for being stupid enough to waste years on someone who will never change."

"Can I ask you something, Francine?" Amanda took the opening Francine gave her. "Have you ever thought about doing what Lee did?"

"What? Find a total stranger and give them a package? You seem to forget I tried that and nearly got myself, and Lee, fired," Francine scoffed. They both thought back to that case and grimaced.

"I didn't mean it literally, Francine," Amanda remonstrated. "I mean...stop doing what you're doing and let yourself be open to new possibilities. The love of your life might be just around the corner. He could be someone you work with, but haven't ever given them a chance because they didn't fit your ‘type'. You might be surprised by what you find."

Francine thought about what Amanda said. She thought about Jonathan and how he was just like all the other "stiffs" she dated. They were so full of themselves and their supposed accomplishments. Then she thought about Lee, and how Amanda was nothing like the bimbos he had once dated. Francine stared at Amanda, then smiled. "You know, Amanda, you might be right."

Amanda smiled back and thought to herself, ‘I know I'm right.'

Meanwhile, in the den, Lee yawned and looked over at Ephraim. Once Amanda had become a fully trained agent, Ephraim had backed off and turned out to be a decent guy. Since his family was in California, Amanda had taken to having him over for dinner every month or so. He'd become a good friend of theirs over the last couple of years and Lee enjoyed being around him.

"Hey, Lee," Ephraim whispered, glancing back at the kitchen. "Do you think I even have a chance?"

Lee laughed and looked back at the kitchen. "If Amanda has anything to say about it, you do."

Ephraim smiled and said, "Good."

Lee looked at Ephraim and thought about Francine. She really was just like him. She thought she had it all, but he could tell that she was beginning to feel the sting of loneliness. Jonathan had done a number on her again, and Amanda had done everything she could to help pick up the pieces.  Seven years ago, there hadn't been anyone to pick up the pieces in his life, and it had taken way too much time to get back to any semblance of a normal life. Amanda had entered his life and he'd become a better person. Now, all he could do was hope that Francine would do the same.

He watched as Francine and Amanda entered the room with coffee in hand. Amanda snuggled up next to him and Francine sat down next to Ephraim, instead of in the armchair she'd previously sat in. Ephraim stared at her in surprise, then smiled and wisely said nothing.

Lee gazed at his wife and thought about his family. He was a lucky man. He'd survived the loss of too many people in his life. He'd met his soulmate, lucked into a mother-in-law who treated him like a son, become a father to the best sons a man could ask for, and been blessed with a precious daughter.

"I love Independence Day," he whispered to his wife.

Author's Note:

First, let me tell you that the weather I mentioned on each of these days is what the weather actually was, according to the internet - I found it kind of funny that it seemed to rain every year. Although this is the end of Independence Day, it is not the end of the story. The next story in the series is entitled Shadows Fall, and I hope you'll give it a try. I would like to extend my thanks out to all of you who have given me such kind reviews and comments. Your words truly touch my heart. I would also like to thank the gutter girls for welcoming me into the fold and encouraging me in my writing. You are wonderful and a blessing to my life.

Chapter End Notes:

Author's Note: