*The usual disclaimers apply—a little short continuation of the ‘Making Cakes’ story. Thanks to Charlie for the initial idea, and to Cheryl, Sue, Linda and Ange for brainstorming help. Hope you enjoy:)*
The Almost-Party

4247 Maplewood Dr.

Saturday, December 29, 1995

9:30 PM

“That contact kept us waiting for hours,” Lee groused as he unlocked the front door and pushed it open. “I just hope the info he gave us was worth it.”

“Well, we’ll know once it gets back from cryptology,” Amanda replied. She kicked off her shoes and removed her coat and hat, hanging them on the hook in the foyer. “At the moment, I’ll be happy to settle down with a cup of hot chocolate and just fall into bed.”

“Hmm… now that sounds very nice,” Lee’s arms wrapped around his wife, pulling her close. “Especially the falling into bed part.”

Amanda smiled. “Great minds think alike,” Their lips met in a brief but passionate kiss—the promise of more to come. “But first, let’s get that hot chocolate.”

“Your wish is my command, Mrs. Stetson.” Lee said.

They stepped into the family room. The lights from the Christmas tree cast a dim glow over the room, illuminating the small figure who lay sleeping on the sofa.

Jenna.

She lay curled on her side, dressed in her purple footie pajamas, her Scarecrow doll tucked under one arm. Her feather boa was draped loosely around her neck, her face partially obscured by a white wide-brimmed hat. Her dress-up clothes. But what—that was when Lee saw the tea set in front of her on the coffee table—and the little plates—were those cakes?

“She must have made these with her new oven,” Amanda bent down, picking up one of the cakes. “There’s one here for me, and Lee, look—this one’s for you.”

“Yeah.” Lee took the tiny cake—more like a large cookie, really—the word ‘Daddy’ had been written in frosting across the top. Dotty must have helped her with that. And stuck in the cake was a small plastic ornament of some kind—a Scarecrow.

‘She made these for us,’ he thought. ‘She was waiting for us to come home.’

At that moment Jenna stirred, her eyes opening slightly.

“Mommy?” she murmured drowsily. “Daddy? What—”

“Shhh,” Lee told her. Putting the cake back down on the table, he bent over her, removing the hat and boa and lifting her into his arms. “We’re right here, munchkin—everything’s okay. Let’s get you into bed, huh?”

“Grandma let me wait—I wanted a tea party,” Jenna said. “Can’t we have one?”

“Later,” Amanda promised, her hand smoothing her daughter’s cheek. “We’ll save the cakes for later—right now it’s kind of late.”

“’kay, Mommy.” Already Jenna’s eyes were beginning to close—too tired to argue. Lee carried her upstairs and placed her in her bed, tucking the Scarecrow doll into her arms once more.

“Good night, munchkin.” He whispered. “Sleep well.”

Amanda covered her with the blanket and bent down, kissing her forehead.

“Good night, sweetheart.”

The End