- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Alleycat, who kindly gave me permission to play with it, originally told this story in chat. Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar errors.
Mr. Right

The rain pounded on the windshield. The windows had long ago steamed up from the heavy breathing and heat of their kisses. A loud thunderclap startled them from their mission of devouring each other. A streak of lightning crossed the darkened sky. They settled back into the seats and silently watched Mother Nature work her magic.

Maybe she needed this moment to get her thoughts and emotions straight. She gazed out over the hood of the car, watching the rain pelt the silver metal; the drops beaded and rolled off the waxed surface.

Why did butterflies flit around in her stomach? Why was she nervous? She shouldn’t be. It wasn’t like she’d never been with a man before. Well, it had been a long time, longer than she cared to think about. But she didn’t want him to perceive how anxious she was, because after all, he’d been a globe-traveling playboy, and who was she--just another resident of suburbia. They’d only recently taken their relationship to the more intimate level and beyond the flirtation stage.

Not that she hadn’t gone out on dates with other men. Except this relationship had been different since the very beginning. They’d shared many passionate kisses, but now it was time to take the step into intimacy.

What did they really have in common besides the love of adventure? Did he really have what it took to be happy in her world?

The things he did told her how much he loved her, even if he couldn’t find the words to tell her. Yes, this was right; this was where she wanted to be. In his arms. Nowhere else.

It was time she lived her life again. She deserved to be happy. To have companionship. To not be alone. To have someone wrap his arms around her and tell her all was right with the world, when she felt like drowning in a sea of despair. To snuggle next to her at night and keep the nightmares at bay.

Her whole life didn’t revolve around her family. Did it?

No, she had an outside life above and beyond the call of motherhood and family obligations.

She placed her hand on her stomach and willed the butterflies out. There was no reason for the nerves. She had no doubts that the handsome man who sat next to her was her future.

His hand tenderly caressed hers. She looked deep into his eyes, darkened with passion. She still couldn’t believe this virile man adored her. And what was she doing sitting here, worrying about things that weren’t important?

Well, no more of that. She would follow her heart.

His hand slowly inched along her thigh. He’d apparently noticed her distraction and was doing his level best to get her mind back to their previous activity. Each other.

How could she resist, when a man looked as good as he did?

With a dreamy sigh, she leaned over and pressed her lips to his.

When they parted, his lips traveled to her ear, and he whispered, “I love you, Dotty.”

With another wistful sigh, Dotty whispered back, “I love you, too, Kurt.”

They kissed again, and Dotty joined her soul mate in another heart-stopping, window-fogging smooch. Amanda wasn’t the only woman in the family who needed a man in her life. At least Lee Stetson looked like a promising candidate for her daughter. Lee may be an eleven, but to her, Kurt’s rating went off the scale.

“Sweetheart, I think we should take this somewhere more appropriate. Neither of us are teenagers anymore,” Dotty said, breathing heavily.

Before she had a chance to buckle her seatbelt, Kurt had revved the engine of the classic Ford Thunderbird and driven down the street toward his home. Away from 4247 Maplewood Drive, where a silver Corvette sat parked in the driveway.

Kurt always managed to keep her on her toes. Since the first day she met him at the flying school, he’d surprised her with his many talents. Now, he’d done it again--when he’d picked her up for their date in his new car. Of course, he’d kept the Monte Carlo. He’d laughed when he told her that, at their age, getting in and out of a sports car all the time would not be beneficial to their bodies. That was what she liked best about him; he was a man of action--unpredictable. He was her Mr. Right, and she thanked her lucky stars she’d found him to share her twilight years.

The End