- Text Size +
Sleepy Girl

Fredericksburg Square Inn

Saturday, June 22, 1991

6:30 PM

“Someday
When I'm awfully low
When the world is cold
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
And the way you look tonight.”

“Come on, munchkin—let’s dance.” Lee held his daughter’s hands , helping her to balance as she stood on top of his feet. Jenna laughed delightedly as they slowly moved around the ballroom floor in time to the music.

“I dance, daddy!” she told him—her eyes glowing as she looked up at him.

“Yes, you’re definitely dancing,” he replied.

Beside them Billy danced with his youngest daughter Tonya—now the new Mrs. Marshall Symonds . She wore a strapless floor length wedding gown, her dark hair swept up in a pompadour, tendrils cascading down the nape of her neck.

Where had all the time gone? It seemed like only yesterday that she’d been a little girl—then a moody teenager—and now a married woman. Lee remembered the look of pride on Billy’s face as he’d walked his daughter down the aisle—Jeannie had been smiling as well, all the while dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief.

“Your time will come, Scarecrow.” Billy had told him that earlier in the day, out on the veranda. Lee looked down at the top of Jenna’s blond head—her tiny hands fitting so neatly inside his own.

Then he pictured walking arm and arm with her—leading her down the aisle towards her future husband—

His time would come someday—silently he prayed it wouldn’t come too quickly. The music came to a stop and so did they—

“Why ‘top?” Jenna tugged at his hand.

“Because the music stopped,” Lee explained.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we’re going to take a fifteen minute break,” the band leader announced. “In the meantime feel free to enjoy the buffet.” Bending down Lee scooped Jenna up into his arms.

“Want to go get some more food?” he asked her.

“Umm—more ‘roni?”

She meant macaroni, he knew—the macaroni salad here was her favorite so far. She’d already had several helpings—probably too much, but after all, it was a special occasion.“Of course,” Lee replied. “You can have some more.”

“’Kay.” Suddenly Jenna opened her mouth wide, letting out a yawn.

“You sleepy, munchkin?”

A shake of her head. “No, Daddy.” But as he walked over to the buffet table he noted the way her head rested against his shoulder—the way her eyes closed for a second only to snap open again as she shook herself awake.

Funny—only a few minutes ago she’d seemed full of energy. Still, Lee knew from experience how fast toddlers could crash—and because of the wedding her normal schedule had been thrown way off . He got in line for the buffet and grabbed one of the smaller plates. His daughter’s eyes began to slowly close once more.

“Hey Jenna.” He said softly. She opened her eyes and looked at him. “How about if we go upstairs and you can lie down for a little bit?” He was careful not to use the ‘n’ word—the mere suggestion of a nap was enough to bring on a tantrum these days. “You can get some more ‘roni when you wake up.”

Another shake of her head, tiny mouth set in a stubborn line—the look on her face reminded him of Amanda. “I not seepy,” Jenna insisted.

Not sleepy—he decided to play along, at least for now. “Okay, munchkin,” he said. “Let me know if you are.” Lee loaded the plate with macaroni and they made their way over to the table where Amanda sat.

“Here, sweetheart.” Amanda stood, taking Jenna from Lee’s arms and putting her into the booster seat. She took the plate from Lee. “Let’s see what you have here—more ‘roni?” she asked, raising her eyebrows as she looked at her husband.

“Just a little more,” Lee replied as he took a seat next to Amanda. “It’s a special occasion.”

“I love ‘roni,” Jenna told her.

“I know you do,” Amanda placed the plate in front of her daughter, tucking a napkin into her dress collar and placing the spoon in her hand. “And you can have just one more plate, okay?”

“’Kay, Mommy.” Jenna spooned the pasta into her mouth. In the background soft music began to play. At the table next to them Lee spied Dotty and Captain Curt, hands entwined—their heads close together. At another table near the back Francine and Leatherneck also sat—Lee watched as they exchanged a quick kiss. Even the boys—Lee saw Phillip and Jamie talking to two girls at their own table.

Something about weddings , he mused—they seemed to bring out the romantic in everybody. He looked over at Amanda –absolutely stunning in a cream off-the-shoulder gown.

His wife—how on earth had he gotten so lucky? Sometimes he still had to wonder. Amanda looked over at him and smiled—even without words she seemed to know what was on his mind.

“It really was a beautiful wedding,” she told him.

“That it was,” Lee agreed. “Not nearly as beautiful as ours, though.”

“No arguments there, Stetson.” They exchanged a brief but passionate kiss. “And Jenna made a beautiful flower girl, of course.”

“I do fowers?” Jenna asked, looking up at them as she picked up a piece of macaroni with her fingers and popped it into her mouth.”

“You did the flowers already, munchkin—remember?” Picking up the spoon again Lee placed it back in Jenna’s hand. “Here—use your spoon.”

“’Kay.” Jenna leaned her head against her hand as she spooned some macaroni into her mouth. These days she was usually pretty good with a spoon—but now—he watched her eyes close again; only to pop open as two pieces of macaroni tumbled out of her spoon and landed on her lap.

“Ooops—sweetheart I’ll get that for you.” Grabbing a napkin Amanda picked the food off Jenna’s dress. “You don’t want to mess up your beautiful clothes.” Jenna said nothing in reply, rubbing at her eyes with a chubby fist. Lee and Amanda exchanged yet another glance.

“T-i-r-e-d,” Lee mouthed the words to his wife and she nodded in agreement.

“Sweetheart, listen,” Amanda said. “How about we go upstairs now? You like the hotel room—Daddy could read you a story—you can play with your toys and maybe even rest a little.”

“No,” Jenna shook her head determinedly—her eyes half-closed. “Not seepy.” Her head gave another little jerk—once again she rubbed at her eyes. “No seep.”

Persuasion wasn’t going to work, Lee realized. He was about to simply pick her up and carry her upstairs when Billy stood, tapping at the side of his glass with a fork.

“I’d like to propose a toast,” he said. “First, I’d like to thank you all for being here this evening to share this special event with us. And secondly, I’d like to say a few words to Tonya and Marshall.” Billy paused “When I look at you two I’m reminded of Jeanie and myself when we were just starting out. I just want to wish you many long and happy years together.”

“Hear hear!” someone called out—applause filled the room.

“Lee.” Amanda’s voice. He turned to see Jenna—her head lying in her plate, eyes closed— her mouth open slightly—she was sound asleep.

“Oh, munchkin.” Gently Lee lifted her head from the plate, picking the macaroni out of her hair. At that point Jenna’s eyes opened slightly.

“Wha’ happen?”

“Shh—you just fell asleep. Let’s get you upstairs, huh?”

“Now,” the bandleader announced. “If the bridesmaids and all the single women would like to assemble in front of the stage, the bride is ready to throw the bouquet.”

“I tatch fowers?” Jenna asked.

“Later,” he told her. Much, much later, he added silently. He stood along with Amanda, lifting his daughter—now much too tired to argue about anything. Jenna brushed at her face, dislodging a piece of macaroni—it fell into Lee’s hand.

“Have ‘roni, Daddy,” she murmured sleepily.

Cheryl added this next part:

As Lee carried his daughter across the floor, all the single women gathered.

Before he could blink, he saw a bouquet of flowers headed towards him, smacking him in the face.

Jenna's little hand clutched one of the roses. "I 'tatch it!"