Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Some Justice—Part Eight

Ballston Common Mall

Saturday, March 31, 2001

1:30 PM

"You know, I'm still amazed your parents let you come here."  Lisa said as they walked through the automated doors into the mall. "I would've thought they were going to keep you under lock and key forever."

"Lisa, come onit's not that bad," Jenna said. "I mean, what happened was scary for everyoneso you can't really blame them for being a little protective."

"A little?  Your Mom made us promise that we would stay together at least ten times. I felt like I was eight years old again with that 'buddy system' when she'd take us camping—remember?"

"Okay, now you're exaggerating."

"Maybe," Lisa conceded. "That's a big maybe."

They were standing in front of the map kioskpeople milling around themso many people. Jenna had forgotten just how crowded the mall could get.  A white-haired man walking past gave her a strange lookJenna's hand went to her forehead, automatically, her fingers tracing the scarshe was sure she'd put concealer on earlierdid it still show?  Was that what he'd been staring at?

'Now you're getting paranoid, Jenna.'  She told herself.

"So have you decided what to get your dad for his birthday?" Lisa's voice broke into her thoughts--Jenna looked at her.  "What day is it on?"

"Tuesdaywe're having a surprise party in the eveningand I'm still drawing a blank," Jenna said. "Do you have any ideas?"

"Umhow about some cologne?"

"Definitely not." Jenna suppressed a shudder at the thought.

"Got it, no cologne. Ties, maybe?"

Jenna shook her head. "Dad's got lots of tiesmost of them probably cost more than I could afford from my allowance."

"How much do you have exactly?"

"I’ve saved seventy-five dollarsand that also needs to cover the card and dinner at the Food Court."

"So—that leaves about sixty dollarsthere's a lot of nice things you could get with sixty bucks."

"I know thatI just can't think of anything."

"What did you get him last year?"

"A t-shirtbut Phillip is already getting him a shirthe said."

Lisa's face brightened. "Phillip's coming?"

"Yeah, and Jamie too. Don't look that way, Lisahe's way too old for you."

"I can dream, can't I?  Hey, maybe I'll even drop over

Jenna smiled. "You do and you'll have to buy a present."

Lisa pouted. "You're no fun, Jenna Stetson."

"Listen, can we get out of your fantasy world and into the 'I still have no present' world?"  Jenna looked at the map, at the little red arrow that told them where they werenot very helpful when they didn't know where to go.

"Don't stress about it," Lisa said. "We've got plenty of timewe'll walk aroundsomething will hit you."

"Excuse me!" The voice barked at her from behind.

Heart pounding wildly, Jenna jumped aside, flattening herself against the kiosk as a woman, wearing stretch pants, a baggy t-shirt and a fanny pack and pushing a stroller practically threatened to run them down, weaving in and out of shoppers as she dove into the crowd.

"Well someone's in a hurry for their Starbucks," Lisa said. "Either that or she's doing some crazy power-walking there."

"I" Jenna started to say as a man in a suit brushed past her, the cell phone glued to his ear.

"I told them already," cell-phone man said. "If I have to pay any closing costs I'm backing out right nownono you deal with it, StacyI'm through talking." Jenna watched as cell phone man nearly collided with a group of older teens, wearing baggy shirts and pants practically down to their knees.

"Damn, dudewatch it." the blond guy with dreadlocks muttered. But the man didn't even reply, just strode past, immersed in his own little world.

"Everyone's in such a hurry to get nowhere," Lisa muttered. "At least that's what my sister always sayshey are you all right?"

"Fine," Jenna was surprised to discover that her hands were shaking violentlyher legs too. She took deep breaths, counting, willing her heartbeat to slowher body to relax. "I'm fine, it justit took me by surprisethat's all."

"Totally understand."  Lisa took her cell phone out of her pocket. "Your mom will be back by sevenwe have lots of timewhy don't we get an ice-cream before we start shopping?  We need the sugar, for energy, you know?"

Ice creamit reminded Jenna of Dr. Pfaffmaybe it really did help people feel better.

"Sure," she said. "Ice cream would be awesome."

4:30 PM

"What are we doing here?"  Lisa asked.

Jenna wasn't quite sure herselfshe just had a feeling. "I just wanted to look at the jewelry counter, that's all."

"The men's jewelry counter? Didn't we already get a present for your dad?"

"The car calendar only cost fifteen dollars, LisaI still have more money to spend."

"You don't have to spend it all on the birthday, you knowthere's some clothes over there we could look at."

"Lisa"

"Okay, okaygeez, you're stubborn."

"We'll look at the clothes in a sec, I promise."  Jenna looked at the jewelry displayed underneath the countergleaming gold and silversparkling diamondsmost of it in the hundreds of dollars and completely beyond her budget.  But thensomething caught her eyein the corner of the caseshe stared at the little scarecrow engraved on each onethey'd be perfect, Jenna thoughtbut the price

"Excuse me,"  she called out to the bored-looking salesman behind the counter. "How much are these cufflinks? There's no price listed."

"The scarecrow cufflinks?"  the man said. "They were a Halloween novelty itemthey never really caught on."

Scarecrows. Jenna thought back to dadthe scarecrow doll he'd given herto her the cufflinks looked just right. They weren't too showy and Dad could use themhe was always misplacing his other ones.  It would be perfect.  "But how much are they?"  she asked again.

"Wellif you really want to buy them they're thirty dollarsbut we have some nice sterling silver ones over herethey're only seventy- fivevery elegant."

"I want the scarecrow ones," Jenna took the cash out of her purse. "How much is it altogetherwith tax?"

"Thirty-one dollars and sixty-five cents."  Jenna handed the man thirty two dollarshe handed her the change and then put the cufflinks in a box and then in a small paper bag, handing it to her.

"Why do you want those?"   Lisa asked.

Jenna smiled. "Because they're special."

"If you say," Lisa shook her head bemusedly, but she was smiling.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

5:30 PM

"So, is it Wendy's or McDonald's?" Lisa asked as they strolled through the food court.

"What about Sbarro's ?"

"Pizza? I'm not so sure about pizza

"We don't have to get the same thing,"  Jenna reminded her.

"That's true. Hey, what do you think of the blouse I bought?"

"Looked good to meI loved the color on you."

"But the question is, will Brad Marcum like it?"

"Brad who?"

"Marcumyou know, the captain of the basketball teamhe's an eighth gradermoved here about a month ago?"

Jenna shook her head. "I'm sorryI don't remember."

"No probyou've had other stuff to deal withooohlook there's Brad," Lisa pointed to a tall blond guy waiting in line at Wendy's. "Mind if I go over and see him? I'll only be a sec."

"Sure" Jenna saw the restroom. "I just have to goI'll be right back out, okay?"

"Okaysure you'll be all right by yourself? I mean, your mom said

"Lisa, I really have to goI'll be fine."

"As long as you're sure."

"I'm sure."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Florescent lights always made you look so washed out.

Jenna looked at herself in the mirrorso pale, she thoughtshe wished she had remembered to sneak out some blush or something. At least her scar was coveredyou could only see it if you got up close. Her hair was growing longerit was chin-length now.  It had been down to the middle of her back beforeshe pictured Gary chopping it off with scissors while she lay there unconsciousa shiver ran through Jenna's body.

The sound of a toilet flushing startled hershe hadn't realized that anyone else was here. One of the stall doors opened and a blond girl stepped outit was Terri.  She froze as she saw Jenna. Inside her chest Jenna could hear her heart pounding, blood rushing through her ears.

Terri smiled.

"Scarface."  She walked slowly forward, her steps, echoing--measured.  "You know, if I were you I'd never go out in public with that faceyou might scare small children."

"Terri, shut up."  Jenna's voice shook despite herself.

"Make me," Terri moved closer. "There's just you and me hereno one to defend youno one to get me into troublewhat are you going to do?"

What could she do??  Where could she go??  Terri was blocking the exit, moving closerJenna wasn't exactly short but this girl was tallerhe was going to be standing over her soon

"Nowhere left to run, little girl."  Jenna's mouth felt suddenly dry in her mind she could see Garythe gun in his hand

'No!'

She wasn't going to think that waythis wasn't Gary—this wasn't someone who could really do her harmthis was Terri--Terri was actually younger by a few monthsand she was a bully.  Just a bully. Jenna took in a deep breath.

'Fivefourthreetwoonerelaxrelax' she repeated that word as she breathed out slowly.  Terri stood beside her now.  Jenna still felt the fear but it didn't have hershe could control itshe would control it.

"You know something, Scarface?"  Terri was so close that she could smell the bubblegum on her breathJenna could feel how the small of her back was pressed up against the sink. "I hope that when Gary Johnston does get out, I hope he comes for youI hope he finds youmakes you pay for what you did to him. And all those people at school who think you're so great will have to change their minds."

"You're jealous."

Terri laughed. "I'm what?"

Jenna took another deep breath before speaking again. "You're jealous," she repeated. "Aren't you, Terri? That's what this is all about, isn't it? Because you think I'm getting attention and you're not."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Terri said. "I'm not"

"Yes, you areand I thinkif you knew what really happened to me, I don't think you'd be jealous," Jenna said.  "I don't like you, Terri, but what Gary did is not something I'd wish on anyoneeven you."

"He didn't do anything."  Terri saidbut suddenly she looked less sure of herselfshe actually backed away slightly. "I knowwhat I heard"

Jenna straightenednow she was the one moving towards the other girl as she spoke.

"You don't know anything," Jenna wasn't sure where this was coming frombut now that she had started she couldn't seem to stop. "Have you ever been scared, Terri?  I mean, really scaredwhere you try to scream, or talkonly nothing comes out?"

"You can't threaten me."  Terri's voice shookshe backed away.

"I'm not trying to," Jenna said. "What I'm trying to say is that I've been thereI've been that scaredand I survived. So whatever you do, you're not going to frighten meyou don't scare menot anymore. I'm leaving nowgoodbye."

Terri stood motionless--stunned—-as Jenna took her purse and left the restroom. Once outsideshe rested back against the wall momentarilyeyes closedtrying to regain control.

"You all right, kid?"  Jenna opened her eyes to see a young man carrying a broom and pulling a carta janitorhis dark eyes were filled with concern.

"Do you need me to get someone?"  the man asked  her.

"No,"  Jenna said. "I'm finethank you, though."   She straightened, surprised to find that this time her legs weren't shakingher voice was steadyshe really was fine.

"You sure?"

She nodded and smiled. "I'm sure." The janitor returned her smile as he left her, pulling his cart along.

Looking across at Wendy's Jenna could still see Lisa, one hand on her hip,  still talking to Brad what's-his-name.  The smell of pizza wafted over from Sbarro'sJenna's stomach rumbled, reminding her that she was starvedwalking over to the restaurant she got in linegrabbing a slice of pepperoni pizza and a bottle of pink lemonadeshe loved pink lemonade. Putting her purchases on the tray she went to the register.

"Sure you don't want fries or chips?"  the guy behind the counter asked.

"I'm surethis is great."

The guy grinned. "Glad pizza makes you so happy."

HappyJenna's smile widened. "Yeah-I guess it does."

Jenna paid for her food and took her tray over to the nearby table. Part of her felt like she was on automatic pilottrying to work out the feeling that was growing inside her. Not a bad feelinga very good feelingbut it was different. Something had changedbut what?

Musing, Jenna picked up the pizza, folding it the way that Dad always did with the big slicestaking a bite.

A mother walked by, screaming toddler in tow.

At a nearby table a group of teenage girls satheads bent togethersharing a private momentprobably gossiping.

A girl and a guy strolled through the food courtthe girl's hand tucked into the guy's back pocket-she and Lisa had always thought that was gross

Lisathe sound of her friend's laughter rang out from across the room. Jenna almost laughed herselfshe could feel happiness welling up inside of herlike an enormous weight had been taken off her shoulders.

What was different?

That was when Jenna realized. The world was exactly the samewhat had changed was her.

'I survived,'  she thought. 'I came through it all.'  People had been telling her that all alongshe had started to feel like it could be true a couple of days agonow she was sure.

She had survived the kidnapping—-the nightmares, the flashbacksTerri's bullying-all of that and she was still here, still aliveit wouldn't beat herno, more than thatshe wouldn't let it beat hernot now, not ever.

"Jenna?"  Lisa said.  She looked up at her friend standing there, tray from Wendy's in hand.

"The manager wouldn't let me talk to Brad unless I ordered too."   Lisa sat down.  "She said I was holding up the linepuh-leeselike people are going to die if they have to wait a few minutes for their meal. You okay?"

Jenna took another bite of her pizza. "Surewhy?"

"I know this is going to sound strange, but you're smiling like you've just won the lottery,"  Lisa said. "Something happen while I was gone?"

"You could say that, yeah."

"Something good, from the look of you," Lisa said. "Oh god, don't look now, but it's the witch with a 'b'how Terri's mom lets her wear those outfits I'll never know. Let's just hope she doesn't notice usor notice youoh no, she's looking this way."

"Is she really?"

"Yeahjust keep your face down, okay? Maybe she won't come over here."

Instead of hiding,  Jenna looked directly at Terri, giving her a smile and lifting her hand in a little wave.

"Jenna!"  Lisa sounded shocked.

Terri's face flushed crimsonshe looked away from them as she stormed out of the food court.

"Girl, I don't know what's going on with you," Lisa said. "But I hope that Terri doesn't make you pay for that later."

"I'm not worried," Jenna told Lisa.  "There are tougher people than Terri."

'And I should know,' she added silently.

"Well, whatever you took, I want some too," Lisa dug into her baghanding Jenna a card.  "Hey-I got you this earlier when you weren't looking—I'm not much with the mush but I know that hearing is coming up so this is just a little thingdon't make it a big deal, okay?"

Jenna stared at the card.

'I Know You Can Do It', the card proclaimed in bright red letters.  Jenna thought back to the calendar in her roomwhere she'd been marking off the days until the thirteenth—-the date of the hearinga feeling of dread in her gut as she'd marked off yet another day.

It didn't seem like such a frightening event anymore.

"Do you like it?"  Lisa asked.  "I tried to pick a card that you'd like."

"I love it, Lisathank you."

Her fingers traced the letters. She could do it, Jenna thought to herself.

Now she knew that for sure.

TBC