Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Some Justice –Part 12

4247 Maplewood Dr.

Saturday, April 7, 2001

7:30 AM

“Come on munchkin—time to wake up.”  Dad’s voice, Jenna realized—his hand patted her cheek. Blearily she opened her eyes to see him sitting beside her on the bed.

“Dad—it’s not a school day,” she reminded him.

“I know that—but I just think we should get an early start.”

“Why?”  Jenna pushed herself up to a sitting position. “Are we doing something?”

“Well—we’re going on a little day trip today—you, me, your Mom and your Grandma.”

A day trip—Jenna shook her head, trying to clear it. “Where?”

Dad paused. “Well, I can’t tell you exactly—it’s a surprise.”

“But Dad, I’d really like to know where—”

“Just trust me, Jenna—it’s a place we’ll really like—we’ll all have a lot of fun today.” Taking her hands in his, he squeezed them gently. “All right?”

Jenna smiled. “All right.”

SMK SMK SMK SMK

“Good morning, sweetheart—don’t you look nice today.”  Mom greeted Jenna as she came downstairs. “Sit down—I’ll get you some juice and I’m making us all some cinnamon and apple waffles before we go.”

“That sounds great.”  Jenna sat down at the kitchen counter beside Grandma—Dad was sipping at his coffee while reading the newspaper. “So—I’m dressed okay for where we’re going, right? I mean, shorts and a t-shirt are okay? ”

“You’re dressed perfectly.”  Mom put a glass of apple juice beside Jenna.

Time to find out more. “Will it be a long drive?”   Jenna took a sip of her apple juice.

“No,” Mom said. “It’ll be a drive, but it shouldn’t be very long at all.”

“So, like—maybe an hour or something?” Jenna tried to keep her tone casual.

Mom put the waffles and put them on a plate. “Probably about two hours—or three if we stop for lunch somewhere or the traffic’s bad. Would you like butter and syrup on your waffles?”

“Just syrup,” Jenna replied. “What direction will we be going? Are we staying in the same state?”

“Nice try, darling.”  Grandma told her. “But trying to pry a secret from your mother is close to impossible—and believe me, I’ve tried.”

“Mo—ther,” Mom put the waffles and a fork and napkin in front of Jenna and then in front of Grandma.  She bent down beside Jenna’s stool—her dark eyes looking into Jenna’s own. “Sweetheart, listen to me—you’ll like where we’re going—and I promise you—you’ll have a good time.”

The same thing that Dad had said. Jenna smiled. “Okay.”  Mom ruffled her hair and straightened, going back over to the stove.  Jenna cut off a corner of the waffle and popped it into her mouth.

“I heard that the session with well yesterday,” Grandma said.

“It really did,” Dad said. “Jenna was fantastic—she shouldn’t have any problem at all with testifying at the hearing.”

“Hopefully.” The butterflies in Jenna’s stomach fluttered—only slightly this time—a reminder that they were still there. “I’m still a little nervous, though.”

“Just remember what I told you about stage-fright,” Grandma said.  “I’m sure you’ll be just fine.”

“I will,” Jenna told her. “I probably won’t think about the underwear part though—that would be too weird.”

Dad raised his eyebrows. “Underwear part? What underwear part?”

“Just a little tip to conquer stage-fright,” Grandma said. “Nothing to worry about.”

“I should be fine just as long as I don’t have to see him or anything.” Jenna reached for the newspaper—maybe they would have some good funnies in there today.

“Ahh—munchkin,” Dad put his coffee down and stood, quickly reaching for the paper “I don’t think that—”

Dad wasn’t quick enough, though.  Jenna tried to speak but she couldn’t— right now she couldn’t seem to do anything but look:

‘Hearing in Johnston Trial Scheduled for Next Week’

That was the heading on the front page—underneath was a large picture of Gary in an orange jumpsuit—his cold eyes—looking right at her—his lips were curled up in a faint smile. The paper rattled—Jenna realized that her hands were trembling violently.  Her chest tightened—she struggled to control her breathing but there didn’t seem to be enough air in her lungs.

“Jenna?” Mom’s voice sounded muffled—like it was coming from a long ways away. Jenna was vaguely aware of hands resting on her shoulders—Dad’s hands. Her ears began to ring, hands and feet tingled—

‘I have to stop—relax—I can’t be like this—' Jenna started to put the paper down—she didn’t want to see anymore.

“No.”  Dad’s voice. He held her wrists—gently, but firmly—stopping any movement. “Don’t put it down—look at him.”

“Dad, please—I don’t want—”

“Look at him, Jenna,” Dad told her. “Really look. It’s just a picture. The picture can’t hurt you—and neither can he.”

Tears filled her eyes. “But I don’t want to.”

“You need to.”  Dad said.  “It’s all right, munchkin—remember that you’re here and you’re safe. Now look.”

Just a picture—Jenna could feel the paper under her fingertips—she traced the outline of his face. Dad was right; she knew he was right, but even so—

“You can do it,” Dad told her. “I know you can. Face him. Breathe. You’re in control. Don’t let that creep scare you anymore.”

‘I can do this,’ she thought.  ‘I’m in control—I’ve already come so far—this can’t bother me.’

Jenna looked.  She breathed deeply, letting her pulse slow as she looked at the man who had just walked in and changed her life, hurt her—changed her—changed everything.

“Hey—you okay?” Dad’s voice was quiet now—gentle. The hands that had held her wrists now rested reassuringly on her shoulders.

“I’m okay, Dad,” Jenna’s voice shook slightly. “It is just a picture—I know that. I didn’t—I didn’t think they were allowed to do that any more because of the gag order.”

“The gag order prevents them from discussing details of your case,” Dad said. “It doesn’t mean they can’t report it at all. How do you feel now?”

“Fine,” Jenna told him. “It’s just sometimes—I really hate it, you know? What he’s done to me—I hate it.”

“We all do, Jenna—we all hate what he did.”  Dad said. “But think about this next Friday— how you get to tell a judge what he did to you. And then in the trial you can put him away—possibly for the rest of his life.”

“Because I’m in control.” Jenna said.

“That’s right,” Amanda’s voice chimed in. “You are—and he’s not.”

In control. Jenna stared down at the photo again—if she was in control she knew just what she wanted to do.

‘He’s not going to hurt me anymore—never ever again.’ Jenna crumpled the paper into a tight ball, squishing it together as tightly as she could.

“Let me take care of that.”  Jenna handed Grandma the paper and watched as Grandma marched over to the wastebasket and tossed it in.

 “I’m so proud of you, munchkin.”  Dad patted her shoulders before taking his seat again.

Jenna felt a smile spread across her face. “Thanks, Dad.”

“We’re all proud of you,” Mom said. “Finish your breakfast now—we’ll be leaving soon.”

Jenna took another bite of her waffle—her hands were steady, not shaking anymore—her breaths deep and even. Sunlight filled the room—the waffles were warm and gooey and tasted delicious—but even so—

“I still can’t know where we’re going?”  she asked.

Dad grinned. “No, that’s still a surprise—but it’s a surprise you’ll love—believe me.”

Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, VA

12:15 PM

“Four adult one-day passes,” Dad pulled cash from his wallet.

Do you want those passes to cover Water Country as well?” the cashier asked.

“No, that’s all right—we didn’t bring our swimsuits anyway,” Dad said.  The girl handed him the passes and stamped their hands.

“In case you leave the park—you don’t have to pay again to come back.” she explained.

“Mine looks different,” Jenna stared down at the yellow smiley-face on her hand.

Dad ruffled her hair. “Well—that just means you’re not allowed to get drunk at the Brewery, munchkin.”

“D-a-a-d—honestly.” Jenna groaned.

“Seriously,” he told her. “That’s what it means.”  They stopped at a large clock, surrounded by a bench.  Classical music played in the background, the air was full of the smells of food—Jenna’s stomach rumbled, reminding her that while they’d eaten snacks in the car—they hadn’t yet had lunch.

“Okay, now everyone—this clock is called Big Ben,” Mom handed Jenna a pamphlet. “Here’s a map—and if we get separated for any reason we can all meet back here—all right?”

“All right.” Jenna looked at the map.  Banbury Cross was where they were—Ireland was nearby—and Scotland—she saw a picture of a twisty yellow roller coaster—the Loch Ness Monster. It looked like fun—the question was, would she have the nerve to actually ride it?  There were so many other coasters too—Apollo’s Chariot, The Big Bad Wolf, Alpengeist , Drachen Fire—Lisa loved roller coasters but Jenna hadn’t quite worked up the nerve to ride one—until now.

“Oh, this is wonderful,” Grandma said. “We can get something to eat, maybe do a little shopping—see the Clydesdales and catch the show at the Globe—there’s just so much to do.”

“Probably lunch first, I think, Mother” Mom said.  “There’s a restaurant over here called Bistro 205—it looks like it has a nice buffet. Then after that we can decide what to do next.”

Jenna took a deep breath. “Can I ride the Loch Ness Monster?”

Dead silence—everyone turned to look at her.

“Sweetheart, are you sure?” Mom asked.  “You’ve never really gone in for roller coasters before.”

“I’m sure—” Jenna replied. “At least—maybe if someone would ride it with me?”

“Not me,” Grandma said with a visible shudder. “I prefer to keep my feet—and my stomach—on the ground—and your mother gets motion sickness with rides like that.”

Dad spoke up. “I’ll ride with you, Jenna.”

Jenna looked at him. “Are you sure?”

Dad nodded.  “Yes—as long as you’re really sure.”

Was she?  Jenna looked down at the picture on the map—she could see loops—meaning that the coaster went upside-down. Could be scary—her stomach flip-flopped slightly.

‘Come on—’ a little voice chided her.  ‘All you’ve been through and you’re afraid of a little roller coaster?’

Jenna looked up at Dad and smiled. “I’m sure.”  Dad patted her shoulder and they stood.

“Would you all like your picture taken?” A girl, wearing a skirt and fancy blouse and holding a camera approached them. Her nametag identified her as Theresa.

“That would be great,” Dad took out his wallet again. “How much—”

“Oh don’t pay me now,” the girl said.  “You’ll be able to pick it up later when you leave the park—just stand here—right in front of the clock.”  They stood—Mom and Dad, Grandma—and Jenna in the middle.

“Okay, now smile—say cheese.”

“Cheese!”

There was a click and a flash.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

2:00 PM

“Passengers may now board the ride,” the loudspeaker said as the gates swung open smoothly. Jenna and Dad climbed into the seats in the third row.

“Please fasten your seatbelt and secure your harness.” The voice instructed. Jenna fastened her seatbelt and started to pull the harness down.

“Here, let me do that.” Dad lowered the harness, pressing it down until it clicked and locked into place before lowering his own. “Now, you hold on tight to those handles in the front, all right?”

“All right,” Jenna said.

The loudspeaker voice reminded them to enjoy their ride and enjoy spending the rest of their day at Busch Gardens, the Old Country—the ride left the station and began moving up the hill, making a grinding, clicking sound as it slowly rose—a long way up—it looked so high. Jenna remembered the picture she’d seen—the hills and loops—what if—

“Dad?”

“Yeah?”

“Maybe I’m not ready. I mean, I thought I was—but maybe—maybe I was wrong”

“Well—ahh—it’s a little late for that now, munchkin.”  Dad’s voice rose over the clicks and the noise of the machinery.  “Just relax—you’ll be fine.”

Fine—nothing to do but enjoy the ride now—Jenna concentrated on breathing as they neared the top—her hands gripped the handles of the harness tightly.

“I’m right here with you,” Dad said. “You’re not alone.”

Jenna swallowed. “Okay.”  Her voice sounded small and squeaky to her own ears.

A small hill and then a gentle curve. That wasn’t so bad, really—actually enjoyable—Jenna started to loosen a bit and then she saw it—the hill up ahead.

“Oh no, oh no—oh my—”

A scream ripped from Jenna’s throat as the car plunged downwards—it looked as though it was heading straight for the water. Her heart and stomach leapt into her throat—Jenna wanted to close her eyes but didn’t as the plunge continued—the feeling scary but actually fun at the same time—everyone else was screaming too. Another curve—much faster than the one before—another drop and suddenly the sky was below her and Jenna was looking down at the water for a split second as they looped upside down—then around another bend before the cars entered the cool darkness of the tunnel—mist blew on Jenna’s face and she heard noises—howling—followed by little flashes of light—she guessed that it was supposed to be the Loch Ness Monster himself.

They left the tunnel, turned and plummeted straight down another hill—Jenna screamed again—not as loudly as the first time, though it was hard to tell with all the rest of the screaming—the world tilted as they spun around another loop—the cars dipped again slightly and then they were pulling into the station again. Jenna still held on to the harness handles. Her heart pounded hard—she tried to get her breath back.

“Please place your hands by your sides,” the loudspeaker instructed. Jenna did. The harness flew up by itself— quickly she unfastened the safety belt. Dad got out of the car first and helped her climb out.

 “You weren’t too scared—were you?” Dad’s eyes were filled with concern as he looked at her.

Jenna shook her head. “No—seriously, I’m okay—but I was just going to ask—”

“Ask what?”

“Could we ride that roller coaster again?  Or maybe another roller coaster?”

Dad laughed and hugged her briefly. “Maybe later, huh?  Right now let’s find your mom and grandma—see what they’d like to do next.”

SMK SMK SMK SMK

4:15 PM

“Well that was a cute show,” Grandma said as they left the Globe Theater—the light was so bright in contrast that Jenna had to shield her eyes until they adjusted. “Though I don’t quite see why we needed to be sprayed with water.”

“It was just a little sprinkle, Mother,” Amanda replied.  “That’s why it was called 4-D—you were supposed to feel what was happening on the screen too. It was about pirates, after all.”

“It probably should’ve been saltwater, to be accurate,” Jenna said.

“They wouldn’t dare,” Grandma said. “But after that, I’m definitely in the mood for some shopping.”

“Can I ride another ride?”  Jenna asked.

“Sweetheart, you’ve ridden three coasters already,” Mom reminded her. “And no, we’re still not going to let you ride Alpengeist or Drachen Fire—people who got off those rides were complaining about head pain and neck pain—the last thing you need at this point is another head injury.”

“Your mom’s right,” Dad said.  “The doctor said that you need to avoid hitting your head again—it could be very dangerous.”

“Well, okay, but there are other rides too.” Jenna read off her map as they walked. “There’s the swings—um—Da Vinci’s Cradle—the Battering Ram, the Katapult—”

“Darling, those just sound painful.”  Grandma said.

“Grandma, they’re really not that bad—honest.”

“Why don’t we do a little shopping first?”  Mom suggested gently. “Then you can ride a few more things before dinner—I’ll even ride the swings with you. And besides, you want to get some souvenirs, don’t you?”

Jenna smiled and nodded. “Yeah.”

“Hey Jenna—come here—tell me what you think of these.”  Dad stood in front of one of the souvenir shops—Jenna walked over to him.

“What—” then she saw what he was pointing at—the wristwatches—they were in their boxes—in one of those small cases that spun around.  For a moment, Jenna was speechless, just staring at them.

*~~*

His large hand wrapped around her wrist—without warning he twisted, causing sharp pain to shoot from her wrist straight down through her arm.  Jenna tried not to show him that it had hurt her but it was too much—tears pricked her eyes—a small cry escaped her lips.

“You won’t need this…not where you’re going.”

*~~*

“I thought it was about time you got a new one,” Dad’s voice broke into her thoughts. “Pick any one you like.”

Any one she liked. Jenna realized a salesgirl was standing there, along with Mom and Grandma—everyone was waiting for her to make a decision.  Which one?  In her mind’s eye Gary was still there, his hands—

No—Gary was the past—this was now. Jenna drew in a deep breath and let it out again. That was when she saw it—a lavender band—the watch face read “Busch Gardens, USA” in bright rainbow letters against a lavender background

“That one.”  Jenna pointed. The girl unlocked the case and removed the watch—Dad pulled out cash and paid for it.

“It’s already been set to the right time,” the girl handed Jenna the watch. “There you go—and enjoy the rest of your day here at Busch Gardens.”

“Thank you.” Jenna took the watch.

“Let me, munchkin.” Dad took the watch—Jenna held out her wrist and he carefully fastened the watch and pulled the straps through.

“There,” Dad said “How’s that?”

“It’s perfect,” Jenna replied. It fit securely on her wrist but not too tightly—it felt just right.  “Thank you.”  Her parents’ arms encircled her briefly.

SMK SMK SMK  SMK

Das FestHaus

7:00 PM

“Jenna—pizza and German potato salad?”  Grandma asked as Jenna carried her tray back to the table and sat down. “I mean, they don’t exactly go together.”

“Well, I like them both.”  Jenna looked at the cake Grandma had.

“Wow—that is some cake,” she said.

“It’s called a mile-high torte,” Grandma said. “We can split it later on—I have to admit that I couldn’t possibly eat all of this myself. Deal?”

Jenna grinned. “It’s a deal.”

Mom and Dad were still in the tray line with their food—from where she was sitting Jenna could see the stage and the dancers—the guys wore short overalls and hats, and the women wore beautiful red and white dresses, with flowers in their hair as they hopped, clapped and whirled around to the music.

“Now there’s something you would probably be very good at ,” Grandma said. “Though I can’t imagine where they teach German folk dancing.”

“It would be fun, though.” Jenna took a bite of her pizza as she looked at the dancers. “I love the dresses.”

“You know, your Mom and I saw dancers like that once when we were in Germany.”  Dad’s voice sounded behind her—he and Mom took a seat beside her.

“When were you in Germany?”  Jenna asked.

“Before you were born,” Mom said. “Actually—we’ve been there a few times.”

“For film stuff?” Jenna wanted to know.

Mom and Dad exchanged glances.

“Yeah—mostly,” Mom said. Grandma made a strange sound, almost like she was clearing her throat

“Well sometimes this business involves travel,” Dad said. “We’ve been to Berlin, Munich—Tegernsee—even Salzburg.”

Jenna took a sip of her Pepsi. “Where’s Tegernsee?”

“It’s a resort town in the Bavarian Alps,” Mom said.  “One of these days we’ll take you there.”

“Would you like to go on stage and do the Chicken Dance?” A woman’s voice asked. Jenna looked up to see one of the dancers from the stage.

“The Chicken Dance?” Jenna repeated.  As she spoke she could see other kids—some younger—some older— being led from the audience—to form a large circle on the stage.

“Sweetheart you know how to do that dance,” Mom said. “Go ahead—it’ll be fun.”

“Well—” Jenna paused. On one hand she felt a little silly, but on the other hand—  “Okay.”  The woman took Jenna’s hand and led her up the stairs and onto the stage as the Chicken Dance music began.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

10:15 PM

So quiet.

Lee glanced over at his daughter as she stood in line, waiting for the tram that would take them out of the park. In one arm she clutched the large stuffed bear that he’d helped her win at the arcade, her head resting against the bear.  Jenna’s dark eyes stared blankly ahead, reminding Lee of the time after the first hypnosis session—Dr. Pfaff had referred to it as ‘emotional numbing’—a common symptom of PTSD.

But this had been a good day, he reminded himself—a fun day. And Jenna had definitely enjoyed it all—the shows, the rides—and of course the roller coasters . Lee still remembered the  wide grin on her face as she’d done the ‘Chicken Dance’ on the FestHaus stage—silly, giggling— for once not caring whether anyone was ‘looking at her’.  Lee remembered only months ago—staring at the birthday photo on the fridge, wishing he could have that happy girl back again.  He had definitely seen that girl today—but now—

Chances were she was just tired, Lee reasoned—it had been a long day—Jenna would usually be in bed by this time.  That was probably all it was.

At least he hoped that’s all it was. Looking at Amanda, he could see his own concern mirrored in her gaze—his hand found hers—giving it a brief squeeze.

The tram pulled up to the station—the loudspeaker voice telling them to climb on board and keep their arms and legs inside.  Jenna stumbled slightly as she stepped up, and Lee supported her, helping to climb aboard.

“Thanks, Dad.” A small smile.  Jenna sat on one side of Lee—Amanda and Dotty on the other side. Slowly the tram pulled away from the station, picking up speed as they headed towards the parking lot.  Jenna held the bear in her lap—her arms wrapped around its large stuffed form.

“Want me to take that for you, munchkin?”  Lee asked. “It’s awfully big.”

“No,” Jenna shook her head. “That’s okay, Dad—I like him—he’s so soft.”

“Did you have a good day, sweetheart?”  Amanda asked.

Another small smile. “It was a great day—I guess I’m just tired, that’s all.”

Was she telling the truth? Lee watched Jenna closely.  In his career he had learned how to read body language—signs that would tell him whether someone was being honest.  And with a child it should’ve been easy, but with his own child—he really didn’t know.

“I know just how you feel, Jenna.”  Dotty covered a yawn. “I’ll be so happy just to climb into bed tonight—and I definitely plan on sleeping in.”

“We all will, Mother.”  Amanda said.  “And when we wake up tomorrow morning I’ll whip us up a nice brunch.”

“Sounds marvelous.”  Dotty replied.  They pulled to a stop in front of the Luxembourg station as more people piled onto the train.

“Anyone ready to sing?” The train operator asked.  “On three—one, two—three. The wheels on the bus go round and round—” The younger children on the tram joined in enthusiastically, along with several parents. Lee looked over at Jenna—her head was now resting on the back of the bear—her eyes closed— she looked a little pale and peaked to him but that could’ve been just sheer fatigue. The tram turned a corner—jolting slightly as it did.  Jenna’s eyes opened wide, suddenly—a small shudder passed through her body as the motion jolted her awake.

The tram came to a halt at the entrance to the Germany parking lot—the very same place they’d left that that morning.

“For those of you who parked at Germany, your time with us is over,” the tram operator said. “ I hope you have a good evening— please be sure to collect your belongings before leaving the tram, and we hope you enjoyed your day with us here at Busch Gardens, the Old Country.”

“Come on Jenna,” Lee touched his daughter’s arm. “Time to go.”

Slowly Jenna rose—he helped her to step down.

“Do we have everything, Amanda?”  Dotty asked.

“Yes Mother,” Amanda replied. “I have my two bags and you have yours—Jenna has her bear—we’re all set.”

“Good,” Dotty said. “You know, they always tell you they aren’t responsible for lost articles at these places, which is ridiculous, frankly. Maybe I’ll write a letter.”

“Maybe you should, Mother.”  Lee could hear the faint tinge of amusement in his wife’s voice.

Aisle J—Section Three—that was where they’d parked, he remembered. Lee noticed Jenna was shivering slightly.  It made sense though, the night air being cool, and she was wearing shorts and a t-shirt—she was probably clutching the bear just to keep warm.

“Don’t worry, munchkin,” he told her. “Once you get in the car we’ll turn on the heat a little so you can warm up—we even have a blanket and pillow in the trunk in case you want to lie down in the back seat.”

Jenna’s voice was low. “Thanks, Dad.”

It wasn’t until Lee actually got to the car itself, until he had popped open the trunk and removed the neatly folded blanket and pillow, that it suddenly hit him.

Lying down in the back seat—

The last time Jenna had been lying down in a back seat had been when Gary had her—when he’d drugged her—tortured her—Lee hadn’t thought about that at all, how Jenna might feel—maybe that’s what was bothering her?

‘I’m such an idiot—I didn’t even think…’

Amanda was looking at him—no words passed between them but Lee knew they were on the same wavelength.

“Ahh—Jenna,” Lee tried to keep his voice as neutral as possible.  “You know you don’t have to sit in the back if you don’t want to.”

“Dad—” Jenna began.

“I’m serious,” Lee said.  “You can always sit in the front seat or in the middle seats—the chairs do recline.”

“But Dad—seriously—I’m fine,” Jenna said. “I’ll be fine in the back.”

“Sweetheart, are you sure?”  Amanda said. “The last thing we want to do is bring up bad memories.”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Jenna said. “This isn’t like the last time at all—the last time was bad, but I know that I’m safe this time.”

“You’re sure?” Dad asked.

A small sigh. “I’m really sure.”

Despite the obvious fatigue Lee heard a confidence his daughter’s voice that he hadn’t heard before.  He unlocked the back part of the minivan, placing the blankets and the pillow on the seat. Jenna climbed inside, putting the bear on the floor. Dotty sat in the middle and Amanda sat up front with him.

“Sweetheart, I know you’re lying down, but don’t forget to fasten your seat belt,” Amanda called back.

“ ‘kay, Mom.” Jenna’s voice was half-yawn at this point. “Night.”

“Night, munchkin.”   Lee turned the heater on low and he turned on the radio, the volume low—finding a station that was soft and relaxing.  He turned the headlights on and slowly backed out of the parking space, looking back briefly as he did.  Jenna was covered by the blanket—the pillow under her head—shoes off, eyes closed—her body completely relaxed. Lee felt lighter suddenly—as if a weight had been removed from his chest.

‘She’s fine,’ he thought. ‘She’s getting through this—she’ll be just fine.’

His eyes met Amanda’s once more—they shared a smile.

TBC