- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Some Justice--Part Ten 

 

4247 Maplewood Dr.

 

Tuesday, April 3, 2001 

 

8:10 AM 

 

“What do you mean, you’re not coming in today?”  Lee asked. “When did this happen?”

 

“Last night.”  Her back to him, Amanda stacked the dishes neatly beside the sink while she filled the sink with warm soapy water. “Don’t worry—I cleared it with Francine.”

 

“Yeah, but you didn’t clear it with me.” When she didn’t reply, Lee approached from behind, wrapping his arms around his wife’s slender waist. “Talk, Mrs. Stetson,” he murmured, his lips against the soft skin of her neck. “Tell me what’s going on.” 

 

“Nothing.” 

 

“A-man-da—come on—”

 

“Lee, the truth is I just realized that I had a lot to do around here and I wanted to take care of it before it really started to pile up.”

 

Lee turned her so that she was facing him. “And that’s all? Really” 

 

“That’s all it is.” 

 

Amanda’s face practically radiated innocence—yet somehow Lee didn’t believe a word she was saying. Something niggled on the edges of his memory—something about today—only right now he couldn’t think of what it was. 

 

“Amanda, I found this tablecloth in the linen closet,” Dotty came into the room. “I thought maybe we could use it for—oh, hello Lee. I thought you’d be gone by now.”

 

“What were you planning on doing with the tablecloth?”  Lee asked. 

 

“Ahh—well,” Dotty began, clearly flustered. 

 

Amanda jumped in. “She was just helping me organize the linen closet—weren’t you, Mother?” 

 

“Yes,” Dotty nodded. “That’s exactly it—so—I’ll just go and see what else I can organize, shall I?” She left the room and Lee looked back down at Amanda.

 

“Something’s going on.” 

 

Amanda smiled. “I don’t know what makes you think that, Stetson.” 

 

He bent towards her. “I can make you talk, you know,” his lips pressed against her own in a brief but passionate kiss—then moved to nuzzle her neck. “I have ways—”

 

“Dad, I’m ready to go,” Jenna’s voice called out. 

 

Amanda smiled. “You might have ways—but you don’t have the time.” 

 

Lee pulled her closer—her body pressed against his. “Rest assured—I will figure it out.” 

 

Amanda’s breath quickened slightly, a pink flush rising in her cheeks. “Later.” 

 

“Definitely, Mrs. Stetson.” 

 

“Dad, if we don’t go, I’ll be late.”  Jenna came into the kitchen, her backpack over one shoulder.  “I don’t want to get detention or anything.”

 

“We’re leaving now, munchkin,” Lee said as he and Amanda broke their embrace.  “Don’t worry—we’ll get there just fine.” 

 

“I really wish I didn’t have to go today at all,” Jenna said.  “I’d rather be here with—”

 

“Sweetheart,” Amanda interrupted. “You’ll be just fine—there’s plenty of time after school, remember?” 

 

Jenna’s face cleared. “Oh—yeah, that’s true. Plenty of time after.” 

 

‘Time for what?’  Lee wondered. He turned to his daughter. “Everything’s okay at school, isn’t it?” 

 

Jenna nodded. “It’s fine—I just—I thought maybe Mom needed some help today, that’s all—but she doesn’t, so she’s fine.  Dad, we really do need to go.”

 

What on earth was this?  Lee raked his hand back through his hair. Something was up—and they were all in on it—somehow.

 

“You better go,” Amanda smiled sweetly—Lee smiled back.

 

“I’ll see you later, Mrs. Stetson.” 

 

Amanda’s smile widened. “Count on it.” 

 

SMK SMK SMK  SMK

 

2:00 PM 

 

“So Lee really has no idea?”  Jamie asked. 

 

“No,” Amanda poured the cake mix into a bowl, adding oil, water and two eggs—using a wooden spoon she began to beat the mixture. “At least I don’t think so—though it might hit him later on.”  

 

“That’s what I’m thinking,”   Phillip said. “Remember that one time I snuck out to go to that party?  He was waiting for me when I came home—that guy has eyes in the back of his head.”

 

“True,” Jamie said. “We got tons of stuff past Dad that we never got past Lee.” 

 

Amanda was about to ask Jamie what stuff when Dotty came into the kitchen, paper plates in hand.

 

“I found these in the pantry—” she put the plates on the counter. “I thought we could use them for the cake.”

 

“That’s a good idea, Mother,” Amanda said.

 

“Phillip, can you help me get the streamers from the top shelf of the garage?”  Dotty asked as she came into the kitchen. “I can’t reach and I’d hate to climb on a stool.” 

 

“Sure, Grandma.”  Phillip and Dotty went out the back door. Amanda turned around just in time to grab Jamie’s hand as he reached for the cake batter.

 

“Hey buster, Lee’s not the only one with eyes in the back of his head,” she reminded him. “You can lick the batter after I put the cake in the oven.” 

 

Jamie grinned. “Okay, Mom.” 

 

“How’s your job going?”  Amanda asked. “You haven’t said.” 

 

“Still freelancing,” Jamie replied. “But the Richmond Times-Dispatch has made me an offer for a permanent photojournalist position. Apparently they were really impressed with my work on that bridge collapse last year” 

 

“Sweetheart, that’s wonderful,” Amanda said. “Do you think you’ll take it?”

 

“Yeah, I think so—it’s a regular salary and a great benefits package,” Jamie said. “By the way, how’s Jenna doing? I know she was having a rough time a little while back.” 

 

“It was a rough time, yes—but she’s doing better.” Amanda sprayed the cooking pan with Pam before pouring the batter into the pan, evening it out with the back of a spoon. “I mean, she’s not one-hundred percent, but she’s healing—she’s better than she was.” 

 

“It must have been terrifying for her.” 

 

“Yeah—yeah it was.” Amanda said softly. Thinking about Gary standing over Jenna—hurting her, getting enjoyment out of causing her child pain—a chill passed through her body.  Quickly she handed the bowl and the spoon to Jamie.

 

“Thanks, Mom,” Jamie used the spoon to scrape the sides of the bowl, eating the leftover batter as he spoke. “Jenna’s testifying against him at the hearing, isn’t she?” 

 

“Yes—ten days from now. She’s going to testify by CCTV—that way she doesn’t actually have to be in the courtroom.” 

 

“Is it going to be the same for the actual trial?”  Jamie asked.

 

‘The trial.’ Amanda sighed. “Nothing’s decided yet, Jamie—we’ve filed a motion and we’re waiting for the judge to rule—but it looks like she’ll probably have to testify in open court—they only allow for alternative forms of testimony if  the trauma was especially severe—apparently Jenna’s case doesn’t qualify.” 

 

Jamie’s expression darkened. “You mean because she wasn’t—”

 

Amanda nodded. “That’s what I mean.”  

 

“Does Jenna know?” 

 

“No—and we’re not going to tell her just yet. The trial’s probably not going to be until late summer—I hope by that time she’ll be strong enough to face it.” 

 

“I hope so too,” Jamie said.  “Mom—there was something else—Phillip and I were talking about it on the way over here and we think—”

 

“Think what?” 

 

Phillip came in through the back door followed by Dotty, streamers in hand. “What wormbrain’s trying to say is that we’d like to be there for the hearing—just to offer our support.”  

 

“I was getting to that,” Jamie told his brother. “I know the courtroom’s closed to the press, but family’s allowed—right?”

 

“Oh fellas—” Amanda felt tears on her face—happy tears. She hugged each of them. “Of course you’re allowed.” 

 

“Jenna will really appreciate it,” Dotty added.

 

SMK SMK SMK SMK 

Q-Bureau

 

2:30 PM

 

Sunlight shone in through the window, warming his back as Lee’s fingers moved over the keyboard—putting the finishing touches on his expense report. The only sound in the room besides the clicking sound that the keys made was the quiet but steady tic-toc of the walnut-cased clock on Amanda’s desk—Billy had picked it up in an antique shop in London and given it to them for their fifth anniversary. 

 

The characters on the computer started to blur together—all these numbers—Lee leaned back, lacing his fingers behind his neck—letting out an audible sigh. It was quiet in here—much too quiet. Without Amanda—moving around the office—her stream of chatter –she could bring life to the place with her mere presence. And without her…

 

He looked at the clock. 2:35—five minutes later than when he last checked—the damn thing almost seemed to be mocking him with its persistent slowness.  He blew out his breath in a whoosh.

 

Two hours and twenty-five minutes to go. Normally he’d have to pick up Jenna from school in hour, but Amanda had offered to pick her up today—in fact she’d insisted. 

 

“Oh you don’t need to worry about that, sweetheart—I’ll pick her up. You just come straight home after work.” 

 

Amanda’s tone had been completely innocent-sounding but Lee still had that feeling—he couldn’t quite seem to shake it. 

 

Something was going on—but what?  Maybe something to do with today’s date? Rising from his chair he walked over to his wife’s desk.  She kept a meticulous calendar.  And April the third—

 

The only thing on the calendar was a sketch of a scarecrow. Lee ran both hands through his hair.

 

The door opened—Francine entered—a stack of files in her hand.

 

“Just taking these into the vault to be stored,” she explained. “How’s the expense report coming?” 

 

“You’ll have it by the end of the day, Francine.” 

 

“That’s fine.” Francine unlocked and opened the vault. “I’ll just be a minute, Scarecrow.” 

 

“Oh—and Francine,” She turned to look at him—Lee had to ask the question. “Is there anything –you know—special—going on today?” 

 

Francine’s eyes widened. “Special? Special how, exactly?” 

 

“You know.” 

 

Francine paused. “Well as far as I know you have no major cases at the moment—we’re trying to keep your schedules clear for the upcoming hearing. So if you’ll just excuse me—”

 

“Francine—” Lee felt as though he’d entered the twilight zone—everyone was weird today. “Look, I don’t mean cases, all right? I mean in general.” 

 

“In general?” 

 

“Something is going on.”  

 

Francine just shook her head—but she was smiling—enjoying this, Lee realized. “I don’t know what you’re talking about Lee. The only thing I have coming up is a budget meeting at three—so again, if you’ll excuse me—”

 

The door to the vault opened and shut—Lee stared in frustration at the closed door.

 

One way or another—he was going to find out what was going on.

 

SMK SMK SMK SMK  

 

4247 Maplewood Dr.

 

5:30 PM

 

Lee unlocked the door and stepped inside.

 

“Hello?”  He called out, expecting to hear his wife or his daughter’s voice. “Amanda—munchkin—I’m home.” 

 

“Amanda?” his voice echoed in the empty room. The dark empty room—the whole place was dark, he realized—as well as silent. This wasn’t normal—not normal at all. What was going on? Where was everybody?   The niggling feeling that Lee had had all day strengthened.

 

‘Something’s definitely going on here.’  Question was—what kind of something?

 

A muffled-sounding thump—coming from the dining room—the hairs on the back of Lee’s neck stood on end—he reached inside his coat to get his weapon when he heard it—a very familiar giggle—coming from the kitchen.

 

“Shush,” a voice whispered. But whose voice? 

 

Time to find out what this was all about.

 

“Okay.”  Lee strode into the dining room, flipping the light switch. “Just what in the world is—”

 

“Happy Birthday!” 

 

Amanda, Dotty, Phillip, Jamie, Jenna—Billy, Jeannie and Francine—for a moment all Lee could do was stare.  His birthday—that’s what it was—with all the stuff going on with Jenna and the upcoming court date it had slipped his mind. Lee took in the table, piled high with presents, food—cake—they had arranged all this—a smile spread across his face.

 

“So, this is what you were doing,” he said to Amanda, who walked over.

 

Amanda wrapped her arms around him. “This is what I was doing.”  .

 

“You know, I knew there was something,” Lee said. “I just wasn’t sure what.”

 

“Well you’ve had other things on your mind,” Amanda told him. “I wanted to make this a special occasion.” 

 

“Believe me—you did.” He kissed her—a brief kiss—but with the promise of more to come later, when they were alone.

 

“Happy Birthday, Dad.” Jenna ran over. “Are you surprised?” 

 

He hugged his daughter. “I’m very surprised munchkin—thank you—this is great.”

 

“Do you want to open your presents?”  Jenna asked him.

 

“In a little while, sweetheart,” Amanda said. “Food and cake first, all right?”

 

SMK SMK SMK SMK 

 

6:30 PM 

 

The dining room lights were off once more—the only glow came from the candles on the cake that Amanda carried into the room. Everyone started to sing.

 

 

“Happy Birthday to you,”

 

“Happy Birthday to you”

 

“Happy Birthday dear Lee— Dad,” The ‘dad’ came from Jenna, who stood nearby.

 

“Happy birthday to you.”

 

Amanda sat the cake down in front of Lee, who sat at the head of the table.

 

“Wow—how many candles did you put on that cake anyway, wormbrain?”  Phillip asked Jamie. “We don’t want to have to call out the fire department in the middle of the party.”

 

Jamie rolled his eyes. “Whatever—you were the one who took forever because you wanted to find some trick candles—and there weren’t any.” 

 

“Fellas—” Amanda said. 

 

“That was Jenna’s idea, actually.”  Phillip tousled his sister’s hair. 

 

“Oh—that is so not true.”  Jenna protested—but she was grinning. It made Lee feel good to see her this way. 

 

“Blow out your candles, Lee—make a wish,” Francine told him. 

 

Lee looked around at his family and friends—all together—all happy—he hoped they could always be this way.  Closing his eyes briefly he made his wish before blowing out all the candles while everyone applauded. 

 

“Jenna—I just need you to pass the pieces of cake around.” Amanda said. “Your father first, of course.”

 

“Okay.”  Amanda cut the cake into small squares while Jenna passed the paper plates around.  Lee took a bite of his cake. 

 

“Amanda, this is great,” He said. 

 

“Chocolate,” Francine took a big bite. “Oh this is great—it’s even got chocolate chips—Amanda, you have got to give me the recipe for this.”

 

“Present time,” Jamie announced.  Lee put his cake to the side as his stepson handed him a package.

 

A Civil War book from Billy and Jeannie, a shirt from Phillip, a new digital camera from Jamie—

 

“You damaged your other one, right?”  Jamie asked.  Lee nodded—he had damaged it on a mission—though that wasn’t something he could divulge with his daughter present.

 

From his mother-in-law came a cowboy hat and a nice pair of leather cowboy boots.

 

“Trust me, you’ll need those someday,” Dotty said.  Lee looked questioningly at his wife but she just smiled and gave a little shrug.

 

Francine gave him a digital watch—and then Jenna handed him a red gift bag. 

 

“This one’s from me, Dad.” she said.   “Open the card first.”

 

“Okay.” Lee pulled the blue envelope from the bag and opened it.

 

The front of the card showed a girl wearing a backpack and read ‘Dad, you always pointed me in the right direction.’   He opened the card and nearly laughed out loud.  ‘But I still have no idea of which way is north or south or those other two.’  Underneath that Jenna had written in neat round purple gel script ‘Happy Birthday Dad, and Thank You for Everything!—Love, Jenna S.’

 

“Do you like the card?”  Jenna asked.  “I thought it was funny.” 

 

“It’s a wonderful card, munchkin—let’s see what else is in here.”  Lee pulled out a calendar of classic cars—the ‘Vette was there.  And something else—Lee pulled out a small box and opened it—staring down at the cufflinks—each engraved with a tiny scarecrow. He’d almost laughed aloud a moment ago, now his throat felt tight—for a minute or two he didn’t seem to be able to speak. 

 

“I hope you like those,” Jenna’s voice broke into his thoughts. “I saw them in the store and I thought they looked right—you’re always losing your other ones—I hope they’re okay.” 

 

Lee could see the anxiety in his daughter’s face.  “Come here,” he told her. He pulled Jenna close—kissing the top of her forehead. “Thank you, munchkin—they’re perfect—I love them.”

 

SMK SMK SMK SMK

 

9:00 PM 

 

“Jenna’s sound asleep,” Amanda said as she entered their bedroom. “It’s nice to see her so relaxed—these practice sessions are doing her a lot of good.” 

 

“Yes they are,” Lee agreed.  

 

Amanda sat on the edge of the bed. She was wearing the black nightgown with the spaghetti straps and the low-cut back—Lee could feel his pulse start to quicken just from looking at her—fourteen years of marriage and she still affected him this way.  He could picture his hands on her skin, sliding the straps down, skimming across her bare shoulders as he pulled the gown down, sliding it from her body and lowering her to the bed—

 

“How many more sessions are there?”  

 

“What—” Lee pulled his mind from his erotic fantasies and focused on what his wife was asking him. “There’s one more session—Pfaff thinks that’s all that’s needed—she’s really making a lot of progress.” 

 

“That’s great. I’m glad that Phillip and Jamie are going to be at the hearing—that will really mean a lot to Jenna.” 

 

“I agree—the more support she gets the better. I think she’ll handle the hearing just fine, Amanda—though the trial itself still worries me a little.”  

 

Her hand slipped inside his, squeezing gently.  “We have plenty of time to handle this, Lee—to prepare her—and we’ll do it—together, right?” 

 

“Together.”  Lee agreed. “And that reminds me, Amanda—I still haven’t gotten my present from you.” 

 

“True—” Amanda pulled her nightstand drawer open and retrieved a small envelope. “Here it is—I wanted to wait until we were alone.” 

 

Opening the envelope Lee pulled out a card—on the front was a heart—the inside of the card had nothing printed—but Amanda had written inside ‘With love for my husband, as always—Your Amanda.’  Nestled inside the card was a ticket—Lee pulled it out—reading the words aloud.

 

“One free week for two at River’s Bend Guest Ranch—Shenandoah Valley, Virginia.”  . Suddenly the boots and cowboy hat from his mother-in-law made perfect sense.  

 

“It’s good for one year,” Amanda said.  “So we’ll have plenty of time to decide when we want to go.” 

 

“It’s wonderful, Mrs. Stetson.”  Lee pulled his wife close, skimming his hands down her bare back as he spoke. “But you know—you could’ve given this to me earlier.” 

 

“Well I could’ve,” Amanda replied. “If that had been the entire present.”  

 

Lee raised his eyebrows. “Oh yeah?  What’s the rest of the present?”

“This.”  Amanda’s soft lips met his own in a deep and satisfying kiss—Lee moaned deep in his throat as he pulled her even closer—feeling her own touch against his skin—the kiss breaking off  when the need for oxygen became urgent.

 

“Wow—” he finally managed to say. 

 

“Worth waiting for?” 

 

“Definitely—and I want more.”

 

Amanda smiled. “Happy birthday, Mr. Stetson.”   Their lips met again as Lee lowered his wife onto the bed. 


TBC

 

 

Note: While June 17 and May 12 are both frequently used for Lee’s birthdate, I have decided to use April 3, 1950—astrologically I think it fits.  Thanks to Ermintrude for letting me use the date :)