- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer:  Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Productions are the rightful owners of Scarecrow and Mrs. King, its characters, and its premise.  The plot for this story and any original characters remain property of the author.  No copyright infringement is intended; this work is written solely for the pleasure of the author and the readers, and no profit is being made.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm just having some thoughts about how Amanda perceives the way her relationship with Lee is progressing at the end of Season 3.  Future chapters will be plot-oriented, rather than reflective, but this is meant to set the stage.

She’d always known Lee was handsome.  The fact was inescapable, really.  He was charming, too.  There was no avoiding it.  Everywhere they went, women flocked to him like moths to the porch light just after dusk.  But she’d always been able to dismiss the looks, the charisma – if not in favour of learning to know the man beneath the mask, then at least in favour of keeping a working relationship with him.

But Amanda hadn’t realized how hard it was to resist that charm when it was turned full force on her.  Sure, she’d seen Lee charm his way out of dozens of tight spots – and she’d seen him in full flirt mode, too.  She had always rolled her eyes at the obviousness of his tactics, even as she watched in appreciation of his obvious skill.  Lately, though…

Lately, Lee Stetson had been turning his complete focus on Amanda King.  And she was melting.

As long as they were functioning as business partners or concerned friends, it was no problem – almost – for Amanda to keep her wits about her.  She could deal with Lee as a headstrong agent, or a vulnerable man, or even a stubborn patient.  But the side of Lee that was a tall, well-built, charismatic, red-blooded all-American man?  A man who was focusing all of his considerable talents on seducing her?

Irresistible.

Lee definitely deserved his reputation.  Not only because he’d succeeded with so many women.  He really did have a way of making a woman feel special, like no one else existed.  Like no one else could possibly be important enough for him to even glance away.  The undivided attention of Lee Stetson was a powerful thing, Amanda was quickly learning, and the fact that she had it almost constantly…

Well, it was enough to give her chills.

It was hard enough to concentrate at work with such a handsome man sitting across from her.  But when that man was constantly sending little glances her way, sometimes accompanied by a playful grin or a sly wink, it was nearly impossible to keep her mind on her job.  And the little touches he always bestowed on her were beginning to undo her.  The innocent ones – hand brushing across her shoulder as he helped her with her coat, arms bumping as they walked side-by-side, a guiding hand on the small of her back to navigate a corner – were bad enough.  But the intentional ones…Amanda shivered just thinking about it.

A kiss on her cheek.

Grasping of hands as he helped her out of her seat.

Lee gazing straight into her eyes as his lips brushed her knuckles.

Every time Lee looked at her that way…when their gazes locked…it seemed no one else existed in the world.  It seemed she was his world.  And it was taking all her willpower to keep from simply melting into a puddle on the floor, left for the janitors to clean up later that night.

Lee Stetson’s eyes were very, very powerful.  And now, they were focused on her.

The Scarecrow was centering all of his considerable skills, every ounce of flirtation he possessed, on drawing Amanda King into his web.  And she was willingly walking into the trap, unable to resist and unable to make herself care.

 

She’d been hooked.  Like a hungry fish, Amanda King had been hooked by Lee Stetson and his irresistible charm.  He would turn his gaze on her, and she’d be lost…willing to do anything he asked of her.  She was a little surprised about the one thing he hadn’t asked…though she knew, in the heat of the moment, she’d do it in an instant.

Kissing Lee was playing with fire.  One slight miscalculation, and you had a blazing inferno on your hands.  Just one glance at the darkness of desire in his eyes, hearing his breath catch in his throat as their lips met…the mere fact that she was the one to have that effect on him was nearly enough to make her overheat.  But the way he touched her, kissed her, made her head absolutely spin.  Every brush of his hands, every whisper in her ear, every tiny moan that escaped his throat sent shivers through her spine.

Scarecrow deserved every ounce of his reputation.

Amanda couldn’t even begin to count the number of times she’d nearly stripped him down then and there and had her way with him.  It made her blush just thinking about it.  Amanda had never been a prude, but neither had she ever seen herself as the kind of wanton woman who would just demand what she wanted from a man.

She had the oddest feeling, though, that Lee might enjoy that kind of behaviour.  Especially coming from his seemingly conservative partner.

Amanda shook her head to clear it.  Even just thinking about her extremely attractive, tempting partner put every cell in her body on high alert.  It was so much worse when he was actually in the same room.  And when he was actively trying to seduce her…

She was lost.

Not a shred of self-control remained, once Lee Stetson turned his considerable charm in her direction.  She’d fall into his bed in an instant, and she doubted she could ever bring herself to regret it.  The rational side of her mind told her it was a bad idea – she knew his reputation, after all, and despite how amazing she knew it would be, she didn’t want to be another notch on the bedpost.  She knew Lee thought very highly of her, and she doubted he would merely discard her like the Randi-babies of the past…

But the possibility was still there.  Was he only interested because she hadn’t yet given in?  Because she was a challenge?  Amanda didn’t know if she could continue to work with him after being thrown by the wayside, if that was indeed what would happen if she gave in to her desires.  And their partnership, their friendship, was one of the most important things in her life.

But, at the same time…Amanda King was weak.  She could hardly breathe when he looked at her that way…when he invaded her space and his aftershave surrounded her…her knees went weak, her skin tingled, and every cell in her body reached out to him.  She longed to feel his hands all over her, his lips on hers, their skin touching.  And she would do almost anything for that experience.

His friendship was too valuable to her to fall into bed with him lightly.  But when he turned that intense gaze to her…when she saw in his eyes how much he wanted her…

She knew it was more than just a physical need.

And she knew it was pointless to try…

because Lee Stetson was irresistible.