- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Thanks to Cheryl and Monica for brainstorming with me.
The Wicky Writing Challenge - Valentine's Day-Friday January 1, 2010

This month we are setting a Valentine’s challenge. There are two choices for you. We have ten words, and you will need to use at least FIVE of them, OR we have a line for you to use. The words are CUPID, ANNIVERSARY, PERFUME, HEART, CANDY, DIAMOND(S), VALENTINE, SATIN, ORGASM, and SEX. The line is OOH BABY, COME TO MAMA/PAPA.

Setting: Season 2

~~~SMK~~~

Scores of cars crammed the parking lot, forcing Lee to park the ‘Vette in the last aisle--about as far from the mall as anyone could get and still be in the same zip code.

After locking the car, he flipped his collar up to protect his neck from the icy pellets pouring out of the sky. His coattails slapped against his legs as he wove around parked cars, sprinted across the macadam, and entered the shopping center. Red-foil hearts and paper cherubs hung from the ceiling and decorated every available surface, heralding the coming holiday.

He hated the mall.

At least he wouldn’t be there long. He just needed to pick up some gifts for the steno pool. Nothing extravagant. Just a little token to commemorate Valentine’s Day. As he strode to the card store, he skirted around mothers pushing screaming toddlers in carriages and other bargain hunters. Hallmark always had the perfect gifts. Last year’s stuffed CUPID had garnered him a date with the sexy Lori.  Remembering the way she’d “thanked” him made him smile.

After perusing the store’s offerings, he decided on a stuffed, red HEART with “Be My VALENTINE” stitched in white across the front. He loaded the frilliest ones into his shopping basket, and then lugged them over to the checkout counter.

He paid for his purchases and stuffed his wallet back into his pocket, before leaving the store. Mentally, he pictured the reactions of the women who would receive his gifts and wondered which one he’d spend the evening with.

A familiar voice jerked him out of his reverie.  Amanda!  He spotted her a few stores down, and she wasn’t alone. Her mother stood next to her, pointing at something in a store window. The pair stood between him and his only exit to the parking lot.

When she turned in his direction, he dashed into the nearest store.

Just his luck, it had to be a Rebecca’s Fantasy shop. He surveyed his surroundings, looking for the best vantage point. Apparently, the sales girl mistook his scan for confusion and rushed to his side.

He thought he heard her whisper “OOH, BABY, COME TO MAMA” before she stopped in his path.

“May I help you, sir?”

“Ah, no thank you. I’m just looking around.” He sidestepped the clerk and walked toward the display window.

“Well, if you change your mind,” she called to his retreating back, “just ask for CANDY. That’s Candi with an ‘i.’”

Wedging himself between the racks of clothes, he peered through the plate-glass window, watching for Amanda and her mother to pass by him so he could make his escape.

When they walked his way, he turned slightly and grabbed a hanger off the rack. He held the garment up, hoping to hide behind the shiny red material.

“Oh, that is just lovely. It’s one of our most popular items,” Candi chirped.

“I can see why.” Unbidden, the image of a pair of shapely calves popped into his brain. Mentally, he scanned up creamy thighs framed by red-lace panties, ivory skin--smooth as SATIN--firm breasts encased in lace, a swan-like neck, peaches and cream complexion, tempting ruby lips, and warm chocolate eyes--Amanda’s eyes.

Impossible!

‘What am I thinking? She’s a housewife. Mother. White picket fence. Dinner-on-the-table-promptly-at six p.m. woman. Not my type at all.’

He rammed the hanger back on the rack, as if it singed him.

“I bet your wife would just love it.”

“I’m not married.” Her eyes sparkled with interest, and he quickly amended, “But I’m taken.”

“Oh” She frowned but perked up again. “Well, is it serious? I can give you my number, just in case things don’t work out.”

“I appreciate the offer.” He looked around, trying to find some way to divert the overeager woman. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Amanda and Dotty enter the store. If he stood here any longer, there’d be no way to avoid running into “Suzy Homemaker” and her mother.

He needed to move--now.

“She’s very special, and I’m serious about her. That’s why I need to find the perfect gift.” He strode forward, forcing the clerk to follow him deeper into the establishment.

“If you tell me a little about her, I’m sure I could help you pick out something special.”

“No, thank you.” He tried to shake the clerk, but she was like a dog with a bone.

“It would be my pleasure,” she shouted across the shop.

Any louder and she’d draw unwanted attention. Thinking fast, he smiled and said, “I really appreciate the offer. However, she found out I had help picking out her gift for our ANNIVERSARY and raised hell. I promised her I’d do it on my own this time. You understand.”

“Oh, yes, I understand. Well, if you need anything. . .”

“I’ll ask you. I promise.” He smiled again, and she walked back to the checkout counter.

He turned and scanned the store, looking for Amanda. She and her mother stood near the rack he’d just vacated. Quickly, he slipped around a display of faux DIAMOND jewelry, backing into a table behind him. It wobbled a bit.

As he turned around, he reached out to steady the display of books. He grinned at some of the titles. “Doomsday ORGASM: Fact or Fiction” and “Everything Your Mother Never Told You About SEX” seemed to be the most popular. ‘If you have to read a book, you’re not  doing it right,’ he thought.

“Mother, what do you think of this?” Amanda’s voice drew his attention back to the women.

He nearly swallowed his tongue. She had picked up the same scrap of material he’d just put down.

“Oh, I think you’ve found the perfect thing for Valentine’s Day, dear.”

Now who in the hell would Amanda wear something like that for? She hadn’t mentioned seeing anyone lately. Or had she and he just wasn’t paying attention? He’d never find out hiding here. When they moved to the checkout counter, he took the opportunity to make his escape.

Heaving a sigh of relief, he unlocked the ‘Vette.  After stowing his purchase, he slid into the driver’s seat and sped back to the city, his mind half on the road and half on Amanda’s mystery man.

TAG—four nights later.

He tiptoed up the back walk, careful not to make a sound. Peering through the kitchen window, he saw Amanda alone in the room, washing the dinner dishes.

He gave a few taps on the pane. Her face lit up when she smiled at him. After setting the last dish in the drying rack, she slipped on her sweater before joining him in her backyard.

“Hi, Lee. Is everything all right?”

“Everything’s  fine. I just wanted to swing by and thank you again for rescuing me from the Colonel.”

“You don’t have to thank me. I enjoyed meeting him. He’s a very nice man.”

“If you say so. I just don’t see it. However, he was right about one thing--you are a special lady. Here.” He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small box. “I didn’t want to give this to you at work; people would have gotten the wrong idea.” He handed her the box. “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

She carefully peeled the tape off the paper, exposing the purple and white-stripped box with the words “Passionate Embrace” emblazoned in gold across the front. “PERFUME, how sweet.” After opening the lid, she lifted out the crystal decanter and sprayed her wrist with the intoxicating scent.

“Thank you, Lee. You didn’t have to do this, you know. I’m happy to help you when I can. Smells lovely.” She held out her wrist.

He inhaled the heady fragrance. It smelled so much better on her than it had on the salesgirl who sold it to him. In his mind’s eye, he pictured her stretched out on his bed, wearing that little red lacy number he’d seen her purchase and smelling like heaven. “It’s just a little something to say thank you. It doesn't mean anything; we're business associates, friends. Nothing more.”

“I know that. Colleagues and friends, nothing more.”

“Nothing more. Well, it’s getting late. I should be going. Good night, Amanda.”

“Good night, Lee. Happy Valentine’s Day.”

End