- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.
Watching in Silence

December 31, 1986

She sat on a chair next to the filing cabinets; their shadow obscured her from view. She liked staying in the background, observing the people she worked with, seeing things that no one else picked up on. And the things she’d seen over the years. Why she could write a book about the exploits of certain agents.

For the last three days Mr. Melrose’s section and all the agents under him had been on high alert working a sensitive case. It looked like New Year’s Eve would be ruined for everyone.

The bullpen had been a hotbed of activity, agents coming and going from the field. Scarecrow and Mrs. King had gotten quite a workout dashing up and down the stairs from the Q Bureau to the lower levels of the Agency. Even Francine had looked frazzled, her attire in need of ironing, hair combed and nails polished. Poor Mr. Melrose had been downing so many antacid tablets she worried he’d end up in the emergency room.

Then earlier this afternoon, whisperings that the suspect would soon be in custody were all over the Agency. But agents would still need to be debriefed and give reports into the early hours of the evening. By the time they finished, no one would have time to go home, get all dressed up, decked out and attend any of the numerous holiday parties being thrown this evening. Or the energy even to do so.

That’s where she’d come in.

Her almost thirty years of governmental work brought her into contact with a lot of various people. From blue-collar workers to intelligence operatives. Since she had no plans this evening it didn’t take her any time to decide what she wanted to do. After a few phone calls, the ball began to roll full steam ahead. A party had been set up that included decorations, music and food to be held in the bullpen. Bottles of champagne were nestled in ice buckets ready to be popped to herald in the New Year.

The last task she’d set for herself had been to contact Jeannie Melrose. Jeannie had been thrilled with the idea and between the two of them, they’d gotten in touch with the spouses of the other agents to let them know about the last minute party. All had been more than happy to come to the Agency to celebrate the ringing in of 1987.

As it got closer to midnight, Leatherneck rolled a TV into the room and everyone gathered around to watch the ball drop in Times Square.

Ten

Nine

Eight

Seven

Six

Five

Four

Three

Two

One

“Happy New Year.” Roared through the room. Champagne bottles popped. People kissed. The words to Auld Lange Syne filled the room.

Then the romantic encounters and antics started.

Francine tried to hide behind anyone she could find avoiding Beaman, then slipped into Billy’s office and hid behind the door. One day she hoped Francine would find the man of her dreams, but the girl kept looking in the wrong places.

Beaman frantically scouring the room in search of the love of his life. Would he ever get the hint that Francine wanted nothing to do with him? Probably not.

Billy and Jeannie gently swayed to the music, lost in each other’s embrace. A husband and wife, who to this day kept the romance alive in their marriage.

Leatherneck grabbed any and all girls he could find to plant a kisses on their lips. The man still sowed his wild oats. One day he’d have to pick a girl and settle down.

Dr. Pfaff stood off the side of the room scrutinizing everyone while eating a Popsicle. Whenever she saw the doctor he always had some kind of ice cream to eat.

Fred Fielder sat his desk, with a drink in hand, looking gloomy and lamenting to anyone who walked by about his long lost love.

Scarecrow pulled Mrs. King into a darkened corner. But their shadows could still be seen.

Kissing.

Of course, that didn’t surprise her in the least. She knew something had been going on with them for some time now. This just confirmed her suspicions.

She caught a whiff of a cigarette and scanned the room looking for the source. Oh no, not him. Billows of white puffs by the doorway confirmed her dread that Smyth had decided to attend. Thankfully, it looked like the old goat had second thoughts and she saw him retreat out into the corridor.

Good. She hated for a good party to end before its time.

The End