- Text Size +
This is an excerpt from my new story called "The Mating." I rewrote a paragraph to make it fit the December challenge. The main characters are Kane and Elise who are involved in an arranged marriage/mating (werewolves, you know.) Kane is fine with the idea but, at this point in the story, Elise isn't so sure and still feels a bit uncomfortable around him, though desires him physically. Some extraneous characters are mentioned in the first paragraph but don't worry about them. When I finally post the whole story you'll figure out who they are. Oh! And it hasn't been beta'd yet, so forgive any boo-boos! Also feel free to make any suggestions, if something jumps out at you, even though it's only a tiny piece.

Despite what this excerpt might lead you to believe, it isn't all smut. There's actually a plot, a villian and a mystery!

The Mating (excerpt from Ch 15)

After dinner, they lit a bonfire for roasting marshmallows. Everyone gathered round, couples naturally drifting together and lounging where ever the mood took them. In the flickering light, Elise scanned the assembled group. Carrie was sitting between John's legs with her back resting against his chest. John's arms were wrapped around her swollen body, gently caressing her belly and the child within. Zoe was snuggled up to her husband and giggling at whatever he was whispering in her ear while Phoebe just sat beside her mate, contentedly hold his hand.

When everyone had first sat down, Kane had pulled Elise to his side, wrapping his arm around her waist. Now his hand was lazily tracing patterns on her thigh and she felt little frissons of awareness shooting through her body. It was decidedly unsettling, how just his touch could affect her and she wasn't sure she liked him having such power over her. Surreptitiously, Elise observed him, noting that he seemed to be mesmerized by the dancing flames and totally unaware of what his hand was doing.

Her eyes traced his features, taking in his straight nose and strong jaw. A strand of dark hair fell across his forehead and she had to clench her fists to keep from reaching up and brushing it back into place. Forcing herself to look away, she stared at the fire. The FLAMES DANCED IN THE DARKNESS CREATING A WORLD OF MAGIC. Shadows flickered across the ground and waves of heat shimmered the air. The occasional log would shift, sending sparks into the night sky.

The other couples could barely be seen now as darkness descended. Encased in their own little pool of light, it was as if she and Kane were alone in the night. His scent drifted around her, invading her senses and clouding her mind. She felt herself leaning towards him, seeking more of his warmth and touch. With a start she pulled herself back and looked a means of distraction.

Reaching for a marshmallow and stabbing it onto a stick, she nonchalantly worked herself away from him. The slight distance made her feel better, more in control, and she breathed a sigh of relief. Concentrating on toasting her marshmallow to perfection, she withdrew it at just the right moment—the skin a warm toasted brown with the promise of a sweet, melted interior. Her mouth watered in anticipation and she sat back, blowing gently to cool the treat in preparation for consuming it. Just when it was ready, a large hand reached around and pulled the stick from her hand.

Indignant, she turned in time to see her marshmallow disappearing into Kane's mouth.

"Hey! I toasted that!"

Kane grinned at her. "I know, and I thank you for preparing it just the way I like it."

Elise opened her mouth to protest but Kane swooped forward and covered her mouth with his. She could taste traces of the sweet confection on his lips and hummed in appreciation. Slowly, they withdrew and Elise found herself staring into Kane's face, his amber eyes seeming to search hers for the answer to some unspoken question. Something tugged within her, as if she was being pulled into him and she struggled to read his enigmatic expression, wondering if he too felt that sense of connectedness.

Whatever Kane was looking for, he must have found it, for he smiled and then lifted her up so she was cradled between his knees, her ass firmly in contact with him. He pulled her back so that she was leaning against his chest, similar to Carrie and John. Reaching around her, he put another marshmallow on a stick and prepared it, while his chin rested on her shoulder. At first, Elise felt a bit self-conscious, but soon realized that no one was paying them any attention. Slowly, she relaxed within the warm circle of his arms and Kane, obviously sensing the change in her, growled his approval.

Over the next half hour, they fed each other marshmallows, each one accompanied by a kiss, to clean the sticky sweet off their lips. Elise felt her breathing growing increasingly ragged and Kane wrapped an arm around her waist then gently rocked his hips against her. A heavy, aching, warmth was growing within her and she pushed back against Kane in response. He muttered something indecipherable, and then threw the marshmallow sticks into the fire.

In one swift motion, he scooped her up into his arms and stood. "We're turning in now." He announced to the others, striding towards the house.

Embarrassed, Elise hid her face in his shoulder. "Kane! What will they think?" She whispered against his neck.

"That we're newly bonded and I can't keep my hands off of my lovely mate." And sure enough, the good natured calls that accompanied them across the yard, left her in no doubt that the others were thinking exactly that.

*****

Upstairs, Kane placed her gently on the bed and then stood over her, slowly removing his shirt. He hadn't turned on the lights, but the illumination from the moon was streaming in, playing over the skin that he was revealing to her. If she hadn't already been aroused from their kisses by the fire, the sight of her mate's body would certainly have done the trick. Elise drank in the sight of his powerful arms and chest, his taunt stomach, the scar running down his side...She couldn't imagine how much such a wound would have hurt and was filled with the need to comfort him, even though the pain was long gone.

Rising to her knees, she reached out and traced the faint pink line with her finger tips. At her touch, Kane's hands stilled on the waistband of his pants and she looked up at him. His eyes were hooded and burning with desire. Daringly, she brushed his hands away and undid his button and zipper so that his pants hung loosely on his hips. Then she leaned forwards and ran her lips along the length of the scar from his ribs to where it disappeared underneath his clothing. Nudging the material aside, she worked her way down to the end of the scar, which was just below his hipbone, then slid around to his stomach and teased his navel with her tongue. Kane shuddered and grabbed her shoulders, pulling her up and kissing her hot and hard. With one hand on the back of her head, his other slid up her shirt, caressing her skin, and then unclasping her bra.

Elise pulled away, gasping for breath and Kane took the opportunity to shuck his pants and briefs before reaching for the edge of her T-shirt and tugging it over her head. Pushing her back on the bed, he made quick work of removing her pants and underwear, then crawled over top of her and resumed their kiss. His tongue battled with hers, his teeth nipping at her lips while his hands tweaked her nipples and stroked her belly. Gently raking her nails over his scalp, Elise moaned in approval when he moved lower and suckled at her breast. Each tug of his mouth was met with a corresponding one inside of her and she guided his head from one breast to the other, closing her eyes to concentrate on sensation alone.

A whimper escaped her lips when he left off his ministrations to move lower but was soon replaced by sighs of delight as his mouth and fingers touched her body. Knowing the exquisite feelings he could create, she willingly spread her legs, allowing him access to her most intimate parts.

Kane nuzzled the juncture of her thigh, inhaling her scent and nipping at her tender flesh. A rumble of approval rose from deep in his chest as he sensed her arousal. His finger teased her clit with feather like passes until she was writhing on the bed desperate for a firmer touch. When he finally conceded, she was sure would come right then and there, but he wasn't ready to allow her release yet.

Withdrawing, Kane moved up her body, lapping at her navel and running his hands over her waist and down her butt cheeks, massaging her flesh while her breathing slowed. Just as the world began to right itself, he went down on her again, sucking her clit and licking up her juices. She knew she was being unbelievably wanton, but despite the fact, she watched him pleasure her and found that it was one of the most erotic things she had ever seen. Firm fingers pushed into her channel and soon, she was climbing the heights again, tension coiling inside of her until her body reached its peak and she shuddered as the orgasm washed over her, leaving her breathless.

"That," she panted, "was great."

"Worth leaving the marshmallows and the bonfire for?" He teased as he slid up to lay beside her. Gently, he brushed her damp hair from her forehead, and then ran calming hands over her body.

"Oh, yeah." Her heart was still pounding and she was having difficulty getting her words out between her rapid breaths. "But you didn't...?"

"Not yet." He moved his hips slightly and Elise felt his hot erection pressing against her hip. "But never fear, that was only round one."

She rolled her head to the side and stared at him in surprise. "You mean I get to do that again?"

"Uh-huh, that's my plan." He nuzzled her ear and then sucked her lobe into his mouth. A shiver ran through her. "Unless, of course, you didn't enjoy yourself..." Kane's voice trailed off and he looked at her quizzically.

"Oh, I think I can force myself to suffer through it one more time, just for you. After all, it wouldn't be fair to leave you in such an uncomfortable state." She teased him back and he smiled at her in delighted surprise. Leaning over her, he began the task of arousing her once again.