- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar and other errors. Jennifer, for all the brainstorming sessions at night when Elvira wouldn’t cooperate.
Over the Hill?

Sunday, June 17th 1990

One a.m.

He tossed and turned in the bed, trying to get comfortable. His mind wouldn’t let him fall asleep. Finally, he settled on his side and stared toward the window of their darkened bedroom. He’d dreaded this day for months. He wished he could just sleep through it, or the calendar would erase this date and skip ahead to Monday. But sleep eluded him, and the calendar wasn’t likely to change.

He knew the reason for his restlessness.

Today he--Lee Stetson--turned forty years old.

Over the hill.

Old.

Forty.

Old.

Forty.

Those two words kept running through his mind.

He hadn’t thought that hitting this milestone in his life would be so traumatic. It would be just like any other birthday--presents and a party with friends and family, right?

Wrong.

A few months ago, he’d started looking at himself and the things around him in a different light. Images flashed through his memory.

*****

One morning, while combing his hair, he looked at the comb and noticed more strands than normal snagged in the teeth.

Was his hairline receding?

Was he going bald?

First, he inspected his hairline. He didn’t notice any difference. Then he used Amanda’s make-up mirror to look for any thinning spots on the back of his head. He contorted his body this way and that to get the best reflection. He thought he detected one area. For the next two weeks, he inspected his scalp meticulously for signs of thinning. His wife had complained that he spent more time in the bathroom than she did.

While he was reading the paper on a rainy Sunday afternoon, Dotty passed through the den and stopped behind him.

“I think you have a gray hair.” She ran her hands over his head. He felt a pulling sensation as she plucked out a strand. She studied it under the light of the lamp on the end table. “Yup, it’s gray.” She placed the hair in his hand and walked out of the room.

Great. He wasn’t only going bald he was turning prematurely gray. But he was too young to have thinning, gray hair.

Wasn’t he?

Several days later, he noticed a slight paunch to his belly. Surely, he wasn’t getting fat! He squeezed the skin around his waist between his fingers. Amanda had playfully called the excess flesh “love handles.” He stepped on the scale and weighed himself. When he read the numbers, his eyes almost popped out of his head. That couldn’t be right. No way. He didn’t weigh that much. He stepped off and back on again. The scale had to be broken. Yeah. Broken.

But in the back of his mind, he knew better. The numbers didn’t lie. He was fat. How in the world had he gained so much weight in the last few years?

Images of sugary delights baked by Amanda and Dotty made his mouth water. ‘That’s it, time to diet. No more desserts.’

He’d let his gym membership lapse, telling himself that chasing after Alisha to keep her out of harm’s way was plenty of exercise. Running after a toddler was downright exhausting. Still, it wasn’t enough to counteract the lack of a real exercise program. So he began a rigorous routine at the Agency gym, and soon the fat turned back to muscle.

Okay, he didn’t have a six-pack, but it was damn close. Now that the basement was remodeled and set up as a gym, he could work out at any time of the day or night.

Remodeling. Another thing that had strained his nerves. It seemed like it was all they’d done since they purchased the house. The nursery and updating the kitchen were the first items on the agenda. Dotty’s bedroom and bathroom came next, then the boys’ bedrooms, the master bedroom and bath, and the den. The basement had been the last room to undergo a renovation.

He never wanted to hear a hammer banging again. Sometimes he wanted to scream at the workers to stop the pounding. There were times he seriously wished they’d had everything done before moving in.

*****

Lee rolled onto his back and stared at the ceiling. Flashes of incidents from work filled his troubled mind.

*****

At a meeting last month, their section chief had handed out retirement pamphlets. Even though most agents weren’t ready to retire yet, Billy said that it was never too early to think about the future.

Amanda embraced the idea and opened the booklet to read about all the options available.

When he opened his and began to read, his stomach immediately curdled. The numbers and words jumbled before his eyes. If he invested this much now, he’d have this much in so many years. Social Security benefits. Individual Retirement Accounts. Certificates of Deposit. He wanted to scream that he wasn’t old! He still had a good twenty-five years left before he had to retire. He didn’t want to think about the day he wouldn’t need to wake up to an alarm clock. A day when he would have nowhere to go.

Two weeks ago, he was walking to the steno pool to pick up several reports that Amanda hadn’t had the time to type. Just as he was about to pass the break room, he heard several of the girls talking. After having been the subject of water cooler gossip for so long, he couldn’t resist the temptation to eavesdrop. He peeked around the corner and saw four stenos sitting at a table.

“Did you see him this morning? Those tight jeans made his butt look so sexy. I just wanted to grab and squeeze.” Ana fanned her face with a piece of paper.

He usually wore a suit or dress pants and jacket to work, but today he’d just thrown on a pair of jeans. Yes! All the exercise and dieting had paid off.

“Six foot three and well built.” Rita sighed.

Lee grinned. Even though he was happily married, it was still a definite boost to his ego to hear them talk about him this way.

“Twenty-five, blonde hair, blue eyes. I couldn’t keep my eyes off him,” Rita added, closing her eyes.

Twenty-five! What the hell! They weren’t talking about him after all. He slumped against the wall. They’d found another man to gossip about. He’d known it would happen one day, although he hadn’t expected to hear about it first hand. Somehow that made it hurt more. A younger man had taken his place. His pumped up ego quickly deflated.

“They sure gave him the right code name. He really is a gorgeous Greek god.” Rita’s sigh was louder this time.

Apollo. They were talking about Kyle Maxwell. He’d joined the Agency six months ago. Lee had heard about some of his exploits from other agents.

“Plus, he’s single,” Sue replied. “It’s nice to finally have someone to pursue. He’s the first candidate to come along since Scarecrow left the market.”

Scarecrow had been off the market a lot longer than they realized. He’d stopped hanging out at the steno pool a full year or so before Amanda had officially taken him out of circulation.

“And he drives a brand-new, black Dodge Stealth. It’s my dream car, and I hope to get him to take me for a ride in it. And if I’m lucky, maybe he’ll let me drive it,” Tera almost shouted.

Well, if he had to have a successor, at least Apollo had good taste in cars. He’d recently heard that Kyle also owned a 1970 Dodge Challenger like the one used in the movie “Vanishing Point.” Lee hoped one day he’d let him take it out on the track. He needed to figure out a way to cross paths with him. Maybe he’d invite him to the monthly poker game at his house. Another rumor claimed that Maxwell’s family had a lot of money. He wouldn’t mind relieving the new kid of some of it.

Lee pushed himself off the wall and strode toward the elevator. He’d just let the office messenger bring the reports up to the Q-Bureau. Another man had taken up residence as the Agency lothario. In a weird way, it made him sad to no longer occupy that pedestal.

*****

Nine a.m.

Lee suppressed a yawn. What sleep he’d managed to get hadn’t been refreshing. After finally falling into an uneasy slumber, it seemed like only minutes later, he heard the household awaken. Phillip and Jamie had stomped around looking for only God knew what, slamming doors, shouting at each other, and then more foot pounding.

Amanda had come in and plopped Alisha in bed with him while she made breakfast, telling him it was daddy and daughter time. Of course, Alisha only wanted to play. So he had to roll out of bed and take his daughter into her room to get her dressed for the day. Once he’d managed that task, he brought her down to the den and entertained her with TV cartoons until breakfast was ready.

“Anyone want more coffee?” Dotty brought a fresh pot to the table.

“Me.” Yawn. “Please.” Lee scrubbed his hand over his face.

“Looks like you could use more. You didn’t sleep well last night?” Dotty refilled his cup.

“He tossed and turned most of the night.” Amanda wiped Alisha’s face with a wet cloth.

“Well, since it’s your birthday, you can go take a nap if you want to. You can do anything you want. It’s your special day.” Dotty sat down at the table and poured more coffee in her cup. Then she slipped a white envelope in front of him.

“I was hoping everyone forgot about it.” He sipped the hot coffee and stared at the envelope. When no one had mentioned it earlier, he’d thought he was in the clear. Guess he shouldn’t have assumed it would be just like any other Sunday morning.

“Now why in the world would we do such a thing? Why, it never even crossed my mind.”

“Please, tell me a big party hasn’t been planned.”

Amanda lifted Alisha from her highchair and sat her in her lap. “Just a family dinner tonight. Over the last few months, I’ve gotten the impression you weren’t thrilled about this birthday and decided it might be best to plan something low-key.”

Lee reached out and cupped her cheek. “Thank you.” Then he tweaked Alisha’s nose, making her giggle. He picked up the envelope. “Should I open this now?”

Dotty bit her lower lip. “I guess. If I’d known you weren’t enthusiastic about turning forty, I would’ve picked out another card.”

He opened the envelope and read the card inside.

Happy Birthday to my son-in-law
Another year passes
Another candle on your cake
Getting older is something
We just can’t shake
Make a wish and blow out the candles
Because today IS your day
You’re one in a million
And I’m happy you’re part of our family.

Love, Dotty

Even though the card joked about getting older, the last two lines made up for it. He really was part of a family now. Lee rose and wrapped his arms around his mother-in-law. “You’re the best.” He kissed her cheek. “I love you.”

“Now forty isn’t that big a deal. I tell you, it’s like any other decade.”

“I was afraid that an ‘over the hill’ party would be planned.”

Dotty playfully smacked him. “You’re never over the hill. Trust me. I’ve seen a lot more decades than you. You’re only as young as you feel.”

“Who’s over the hill?” Phillip asked as he bounded into the room, dressed in his baseball uniform. “Oh, yeah, Lee is. You’re forty now, right? That’s ancient.”

Lee suppressed a groan. He felt older than Methuselah. What was it teenagers used to say about adults? Oh, yeah, never trust anyone over thirty. Today he was ten years beyond that age limit. A cold knot settled in the pit of his stomach.

“He’s not ancient.” Dotty placed her hands on her hips and pursed her lips. “Are you boys ready for me to take you to practice?”

“Yeah, I’m ready. Jamie’s looking for his glove. Hey, I thought we weren’t giving Lee our cards and gifts until tonight.”

“We are.” Amanda set Alisha down, and she toddled over to her toys in the den. “Your grandmother just wanted to give him his card now.”

“We’ll give him ours, too.” Phillip ran out the room, and Lee heard him clomping up the stairs.

A minute later, two pairs of feet pounded into the room.

“I found my glove. It was under the dirty clothes in my closet.” Jamie tossed it onto the kitchen counter.

“Well, if you put your dirty clothes where they’re supposed to be, you wouldn’t have that problem.” Dotty closed the dishwasher and turned it on.

“Yeah, wormbrain.” Phillip smacked his brother on the arm.

“Hey, you do the same thing, dorkbreath.” Jamie smacked him back.

Lee couldn’t help but smile at his stepsons’ antics. When he was a teenager, he’d just tossed his dirty clothes on the floor of his closet and closed the door. After the orderly who took care of their quarters worked up the courage to complain to his uncle, the Colonel had ordered Lee to learn to wash his own laundry. But as soon as he started earning a paycheck, he took it all to the cleaners.

“Boys, you know I don’t like it when you call each other names,” Amanda said in a stern tone.

Both boys stared at their feet and scuffed their sneakers on the floor.

Jamie looked up and handed Lee an envelope. “Happy birthday.”

“Thanks, sport.” When he opened it, he wished they’d forgotten his birthday. A picture of the grim reaper carrying a cake in the shape of a tombstone glared at him. ‘Have a devilish birthday’ was printed inside the card.

“Yeah, happy birthday.” Phillip handed him a card.

“Thanks, chief.” The front of the card showed a man driving up a hill in a car. The message inside read: ‘It’s not the years. It’s the mileage. And when you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed, going downhill is always faster. Happy Birthday.’

“Come on, you two.” Dotty held up her car keys. “We need to leave.”

“Grandma, can I drive?” Phillip looked at his grandmother with a gleam in his eyes.

“Well, all right. As long as you pay attention to the speed limit.” Dotty tossed him the keys.

Phillip caught them in one hand. “Thanks.” He picked up his baseball bat. “Let’s go.”

“We’ll see you later this afternoon.” Dotty followed Phillip out the door.

“Happy birthday, Lee,” Jamie yelled, as he ran after his brother and grandmother.

*****

Noon

Lee glanced at the fireplace mantel where Amanda had placed the birthday cards. He found himself torn between two emotions--happiness and sadness. Happy that nothing huge had been planned, but sad at the same time. It didn’t make any sense. The last several months he’d been on an emotional roller coaster. His life in turmoil. When this day passed, he hoped his emotions would return to normal. He laughed. Before Amanda barreled into his life, he’d never thought the Scarecrow would be normal. Now, he wouldn’t have it any other way.

His wife walked into the room carrying Alisha. “Sweetheart, I need you do to something for me.”

“What?” He figured she had a ‘honey do’ for him. When he’d first heard that expression, he didn’t know what it meant. Then he found out it entailed doing odd jobs around the house. He’d become quite the handyman, and seeing the results of a job he’d accomplished with his own two hands gave him a certain amount of pleasure.

“I need you to come with me.” She jingled her car keys.

“Where?”

“Please, no questions.”

She had something up her sleeve. He knew it. He knew her. He’d play along though.

“All right.” He held out his arms for his daughter. “I’ll put Alisha in her car seat.”

He carried Alisha to the car and buckled her in. When he closed the door, he found Amanda standing behind him.

“I need you to do one more thing.”

“What’s that?” He placed his hands on her hips and drew her to him, kissing her lightly.

“Wear this?”

His wife held a black scarf in her hand. Definitely up to something. But so far, she hadn’t gone overboard with the birthday celebrations. He hoped his luck wasn’t about to change.

“Okay.” He took the scarf from her and slid into the passenger seat.

Amanda walked around the front of the car and slipped into the driver’s seat, then keyed the ignition and started the engine.

When she didn’t put the car in reverse, he realized she was staring at him. “You want me to put it on now, don’t you?”

“Please.”

He tied the scarf tightly behind his head. “Okay?”

“Yeah. Now no peeking.”

“Me, peek? Never.”

“Daddy peek. Daddy peek.” Alisha pounded on her car seat.

Uncovering one eye, he reached between the seats and tickled her tummy. “No, daddy won’t.”

Alisha’s laughter filled the car.

“Lee might not peek, but I know the Scarecrow might.”

He pulled the scarf back in place. “I promise we’ll both be good.”

“Trust me. You won’t regret it.” Amanda squeezed his knee.

Trust her he did. With all his heart and soul.

He felt for the window button and pressed it. The passenger window slid down. If he was lucky, he might be able to figure out their destination from sounds along the way.

“Not so fast, Stetson. I’m on to your tactics.”

The sound of the window closing was the only thing he heard. “Can’t blame a man for trying.”

“Nope. I don’t. Ready to go bye-bye, Alisha?”

“Bye-bye. Bye-bye.” His daughter mimicked.

Maybe he could figure out where she was taking him by the turns she made. After they left their driveway, he could tell that she headed toward the Interstate. But then she made several quick turns, and he had no idea what direction they were headed.

He settled back in the seat and stretched out his legs. Might as well enjoy the ride. Amanda turned on the radio, and music played while his daughter babbled.

After what seemed like forever, he felt the car slow down.

“We’re here.” Amanda turned off the engine. “Let me get Alisha out first. Don’t move.”

A few minutes later, his door opened. “Ready?” She took his hand and helped him out of the car.

He felt hard ground under his feet. Concrete. He sniffed the air. The distinct smell of gasoline and burnt rubber tickled his nose. Were they at some kind of track? He didn’t hear any revving engines.

A gas station? He didn’t hear any of the noises usually associated with a repair shop. Nothing but complete silence. He wanted to peek so badly, but he restrained himself.

“Almost there, sweetheart.” Amanda guided him to wherever they were going. “Okay, now stand still.”

Lee felt her hands unknot the scarf, and it fell from his eyes. He blinked in the bright sunlight. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust. He’d been right with his first guess. This was some kind of test track. A large garage-type building stood on his left. To his right, what could only be a car was hidden underneath a tarp. He scanned the area but saw nothing else.

“Well, well, I see you finally made it. Happy birthday, Lee.” Leatherneck slapped him on the back.

Where in the hell had he come from? “So you’re in on this, too?”

“I gotta say a resounding yes to that question. Trust me, you’re gonna enjoy the hell out of this.” He clamped his hands over his mouth. “Oops, sorry. I mean heck. I forgot little ears were present. Here, let me take her while you do the honors, Amanda.” Leatherneck reached for Alisha, who happily crawled into his arms.

Amanda led him to the hidden car. “Happy birthday, sweetheart.” She pulled the tarp off.

“Daddy birfday.” Alisha clapped her hands.

Lee couldn’t believe his eyes. It was the most futuristic-looking sports car he’d ever seen in his life--like one of the cars in a James Bond movie. He ran his hand along the sleek metal surface.

“What? How?”

“Don’t get too excited. You’re only going to be test driving.” Amanda laughed.

“The how is my part.” Leatherneck grinned. “An old friend of mine’s been experimenting with concept cars. This is the fourth version. All the others didn’t meet his expectations. But this one meets them all. You, my friend, will be the second person to drive this baby.”

“The what is my part.” His wife wrapped her arms around his waist. “I happened to run into Leatherneck one afternoon in the break room. I asked him for some suggestions on what to get you for your birthday. I’d been having a hard time coming up with an appropriate gift. He told me about this car, and I asked him to find out if there would be any way you could test drive it.”

“I told her I’d check and that it’d be the perfect gift. You’d be in seventh heaven driving a one-of-a-kind car. Now I know you’d love to see what makes this baby roar.” He handed Alisha back to Amanda and popped the hood. “This baby has a quad turbocharged W16 engine.”

“I didn’t know they made engines that big. How fast does it go?” Lee stared in awe at the powerful machine.

“Over two-hundred and fifty miles per hour. Zero to sixty in under two and a half seconds. It runs a thousand and one horsepower. Twice the speed as a Porsche. At top speed, you’ll run out of fuel in twelve minutes.”

That would be like being shot out of rocket. His mind went into overdrive. What would it feel like? How would it handle?

“I’m almost afraid to ask how much.”

“Well, my friend, if you happen to have a spare one point two million, this little beauty can be all yours.”

“I do in my dreams.” Lee laughed.

“Ready to take it for a spin?” Amanda stood next to the driver’s door, with Alisha balanced on her hip.

“Oh, yeah.” His pulse quickened.

“Can I drive it next?” Phillip stared at the engine.

“And me.” Jamie joined his brother.

“Where in the heck did you two come from?” He should’ve known a coach wouldn’t have baseball practice on a Sunday morning.

“We wouldn’t miss this for the world.” Dotty joined the small crowd around the car.

“So can I drive it?” Jamie knelt on his knees.

“Me, too.” Phillip imitated his brother.

“In your dreams, fellas.” He tousled Jamie’s hair. “I’ll tell you all about it when I get back.”

Lee rubbed his hands together in anticipation. He gave Amanda a peck on her lips and then kissed the top of Alisha’s head, before he sank into the driver’s seat. He had to drag his leg inside. “The curse of a tall man in a small sports car,” he mumbled. The scent of new leather surrounded him. He looked for the ignition. “How do I start it?”

“Just hit the button.” Leatherneck pointed to the dashboard. “When you get back, just park over there by the garage.”

Lee adjusted the mirrors and settled into the plush interior. He snapped the four-point harness racing belt in place.

“Don’t forget this.” Amanda handed him a racing helmet.

“Thanks.” He put it on and adjusted the chinstrap, making sure it fit snugly. Then he pushed the button, and the engine roared to life. The power from the vibration of the engine seeped into his bones.

He slipped the gearshift into first and eased onto the track. Time to accelerate. He pushed on the gas. Tires peeled as the car surged ahead.

Steadily pressing the gas, he shifted to second gear, then third. He glanced at the speedometer. One hundred miles per hour.

By fifth gear, he was convinced that the clutch was the crispest on earth, the accelerator the most sensitive. The car responded like nothing he’d ever driven before. It maneuvered so easily, and it hugged the road. An incredible feeling of raw power rushed through him.

He felt the need for more speed. The thrill. The excitement. He nailed the accelerator, and the car shot forward, plastering him back into the seat.

His heart raced; adrenaline pumped through his veins. He shifted into seventh gear and peeked at the speedometer. The car surged forward at 210 mph. The world around him blurred, and he slowly eased up on the gas. The ride was smooth as silk.

A glance at the gas gauge told him he needed to turn around. He drove back at a more sedate speed of a hundred and fifty. The cloud of despair that had hung over his head the last few months dissipated as he maneuvered the car to park next to the garage.

After turning off the engine, he sat for a while, drinking in the interior and power of this sleek machine.

He felt young again.

The melancholy that had permeated his core had disappeared. He no longer felt that the age of forty would be the end of his life.

Reluctantly, he unfolded his long frame from the car and caressed the smooth metal again. Then he popped the hood and checked out the engine closer; he’d been in such awe earlier he really hadn’t gotten an in-depth look at it. He lay down on the concrete and shimmied underneath the car to inspect the engine from every angle.

Once he’d taken it all in, he scooted out and stood. He’d have to ask Leatherneck if they were allowed to take photographs.

Then he noticed the silence. He turned around and scanned the area.

Where was everyone?

Why was there no one to greet him on his triumphant return?

Not a soul in sight.

Where had they gone?

Well, the building was the only logical place. He circled the garage and found a door. When he entered, pitch-blackness greeted him.

Suddenly, lights blazed on, and yells of “Surprise!” filled the room.

He stepped back, stunned.

The smiling faces of his friends and family greeted him: Billy and Jeannie, Dotty and Kurt, Francine and Leatherneck, Emily, Phillip and Jamie, Harry and Christina, Rupert and some of the other Birchwood residents, and other close friends.

Amanda met him at the doorway and kissed his cheek. “I hope you don’t mind the party. I know I told you it would be family only . . . ”

Lee grabbed her around the waist and pulled her against his body. “Everyone here is my family. I’m sorry I’ve been such a jerk these last few months.”

“You, a jerk? Never.” She kissed the tip of his nose.

“Yeah, me. I don’t know what got into me.”

“It happens to us all.” Dotty came up behind Amanda. “We all have doubts about growing old at one time or another. Sometimes it doesn’t hit until you’re fifty or sixty, and other times, like with you, the magic number is forty.”

He released his wife and wrapped his arms around his mother-in-law, hugging her tightly. “You’re the best mother-in-law in the world. I love you.”

“I know.” Dotty winked.

After being hugged, kissed, and wished a happy birthday by everyone, Lee finally had a chance to sit down and take stock of the room. A huge buffet table, laden with all kinds of cold foods and empty chafing dishes, stood against one wall. Another table held a mound of presents, waiting to be opened. A DJ and his equipment occupied one corner. Balloons and streamers hung from the rafters, and other festive decorations were displayed on the tables. A large banner declared “Happy Birthday!”

“Okay, everyone.” Dotty used the DJ’s microphone. “Let’s eat. And remember to save room for dessert.”

The birthday cake was the one thing Lee hadn’t seen. Since this was a working garage, he assumed it was hidden behind the draperies that, he thought, camouflaged mechanic’s tools. He’d spied people going back and forth from there as they filled the chafing dishes, so he figured the caterer his wife had chosen was using that area as a prep station.

Soon everyone had gone through the buffet line and settled at a table to enjoy the repast. Amanda sat Alisha in a highchair and began to feed her macaroni and cheese, mashed carrots, mashed potatoes, and small pieces of chicken. Lee had piled his plate with fried chicken and potato salad.

“I’m stuffed.” Phillip leaned back in his chair and patted his stomach.

He glanced at his oldest stepson and laughed. In an hour, the boy would be hungry again.

People drifted around the tables as they drank coffee and punch. Stories from past and present flowed, and he enjoyed reminiscing with his friends and family. Alisha fell asleep in her highchair, almost falling face-first into her bowl of macaroni and cheese. When Lee saw her head slowly nod, he grabbed the bowl and placed a small blanket in its place. She couldn’t be comfortable in that position, but when he mentioned moving her, Amanda just waved him off.

“Hey, Lee, when are you going to open your presents?” Jamie asked, as he rose from his chair.

“I guess now, sport.” From the way Jamie fidgeted, he knew his stepson wanted to see Lee’s reaction to his gift.

He carried “sleeping beauty’s” highchair to the gift table and placed it next to Dotty, who would hand him his presents, and sat down in front of the table. Amanda sat next to him, and Phillip and Jamie settled on the floor to collect the wrapping paper and bows.

Dotty handed him the first present and smiled. “This one is from me.”

Never one to take the time to open a gift neatly, he tore off the paper and opened the box. After pushing aside the tissue paper, he found three hardback books by John Jakes: “North and South,” “Love and War,” and “Heaven and Hell.”

“Look inside.” Dotty took the first one from him and opened the cover.

“Happy Birthday, Lee” was inscribed on the title page, and it was signed by John Jakes.

“They’re all autographed for you.” She handed the book back to him.

“Thank you.” He kissed her cheek. “This is perfect.”

Ever since he’d read “Killer Angels” by Michael Shaara, he’d been obsessed with the Civil War. They’d taken trips to Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry, and he’d even considered participating in one of the reenactments held around the area. But he couldn’t decide whether he wanted to play a Yankee or a Rebel.

“Open mine, please.” Jamie had risen and picked a box from the table.

Lee took the box and shook it. It felt heavy. He had an idea what it held. Jamie had been interested in photography for years and had taken amazing pictures.

Inside, he found a black-and-white photograph in a beautiful frame. Jamie had caught him sleeping on the couch with Alisha asleep on his chest, his hand on the small of her back, holding her to him. Her little hand gently rested over his heart.

“Sweetheart, this is one of the best photos you’ve ever taken. You’ve captured Lee and Alisha in a tender father/daughter moment.” Amanda brushed her fingers over the photo.

“You sure did, sport. Thank you.”

Jamie sat down on the floor, a huge grin on his face.

The next gift was from Phillip. A Redskins sweatshirt. “Thanks, chief, I’ll wear this when we go to see the game in the fall.”

The table behind Amanda was soon piled with opened gifts.

“This is from me.” She handed him the last box and kissed him.

Just as he was about to open it, he heard a cry. Alisha was awake. Dotty lifted her out of the highchair and put her down on the floor. She toddled over to Lee and held up her hands, which was a signal she wanted to sit in his lap.

He picked her up and settled her. “Wanna help daddy open his present?” He placed the gift in her lap.

Her fingers clutched at the wrapping paper.

Lee worked one end of the paper loose and placed Alisha’s hand on the torn edge. “Help daddy.” She grabbed the piece and ripped it across the package, squealing in delight.

When he opened the box, he was astonished to find an exact replica of the car he’d driven that afternoon nestled in a bed of tissue paper.

“Do you like it?” Amanda touched his arm.

“Like it? I love it!”

Her eyes twinkled. “I thought it would be the perfect memory of today.”

“You were right.” He leaned over and kissed her. “Speaking of memories. Leatherneck?” He looked around for his friend.

“Yeah.” His voice sounded from the back of the room.

“Do you think we could take pictures of the car?”

“Sure, my buddy won’t mind. In fact, he’s the one who made the model for Amanda.”

“Sport, did you bring your camera?” Lee realized he hadn’t seen him with it all day. Others had taken pictures, but not the photography buff in the family.

“Do I go anywhere without it?” Jamie popped up from the floor. “I’ll meet you by the car.”

*****

Jamie’s camera clicked as it captured every detail of the car’s interior and exterior. Then, for the next half-hour, he snapped pictures of everyone who wanted to sit in the driver’s seat.

While Jamie photographed the guests, Lee decided he wanted one shot of himself alone in the car and one of Alisha sitting on his lap with her hands on the steering wheel. After his stepson had taken their pictures, he placed his daughter on the ground, and she scampered over to Dotty.

He needed one more photo.

“Where’s Amanda?” He scanned the area and spotted her talking to Jeannie and Emily.

“I’m right here.” She waved at him.

“Come here, please.” He sat sideways in the seat, his feet planted on the ground. When she stood close to him, he grabbed her around the waist and pulled her into his lap. “I need my beautiful wife with me.”

“Always.” She slipped her arm around his shoulders.

After Jamie had taken several shots of them sitting in the car, then standing next to it, Lee walked over to him. “Your turn, sport.”

Grinning, he handed the camera to Lee and slid into the driver’s seat.

“Can we have dessert now?” Jamie asked.

Lee glanced at Dotty. “Is it time for cake?”

“If that’s what you want?”

He rubbed his hands together. “I think it would be perfect.”

After everyone returned to the building, Dotty wheeled a large sheet-cake, with candles blazing, to the middle of the room.

Everyone sang “Happy Birthday.”

Amanda stood next to him, holding Alisha. “Blow out your candles and make a wish.”

What more could he wish for? He already had everything he’d ever wanted.

He blew out the candles, but he didn’t make a wish. Instead, he thanked his lucky stars that Amanda had taken a chance on him that day at the train station.

After the cake was eaten, music played and the guests danced. Lee stood against the wall, his arms folded across his chest, and watched his friends and family celebrate. He shook his head, wondering why in the hell he’d ever dreaded this day.

Smiling, he watched Alisha bounce to the beat of the music as she danced in the middle of the room. He walked over to her and picked her up. She giggled while he twirled around the floor with her in his arms.

“May I join you?”

He wrapped his free arm around his wife’s waist, and the three of them danced. “I love you.”

“I love you, too. You’re not mad about the party, are you? I know I told you it’d just be us at home.”

Lee looked around the room. “How can I be mad when I’m surrounded by people I love and who love me in return?”

“Never forget that love is the most important thing in the world.” She rested her head on his shoulder. Alisha mimicked her mother and laid her head on his other shoulder.

“I won’t. I have a feeling forty is going to be a good year.”

The End
Chapter End Notes:
The car Lee test drove I based on the one below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron