- Text Size +
"Mom, hurry up! We're going to be late for practice!!"
Philip implored from the back seat of the station
wagon.

"Philip, we have all the equipment in the car, so they
can't start without us." Amanda reminded him as she
looked at both boys in the rear-view mirror.

"I know, I know mom....it's just that Coach Thompson
promised to teach us the hook slide today." he
explained impatiently.

"I completely forgot about the all important
hook slide. Oh my, that's really hard! But with
Coach T's help, I'm sure you two will have it down in
no time!" Amanda told them as they pulled into the
parking lot at the little league field.

As they unloaded the gear, Coach Thompson approached
asking, "Are you staying to help with practice,
Amanda?"

"Yeah, I don't have any errands to run today." Amanda
told him.

"Oh good, do you think you could teach the boys the
hook slide? I hurt my back at work yesterday, and I
know they were all looking forward to learning
it. And I hear you can do a pretty mean hook slide!"
Coach Thompson informed her.

Overhearing their coach, Jamie encouraged, "Come on
mom, you can do it! We really need to learn the
hook slide if we want to beat the Indians this year."

Looking at the expectant faces of her two boys, Amanda
could only reply, "Well, okay, but it's been a
long time since I've done something like that."

"Cool, mom!!" Philip cheered as he raced to join his
teammates.

"Um, Coach Thompson, do you think you could remind
me how to do a hook slide? It's been awhile..."
Amanda asked nervously as she studied the bleachers
hoping to spot another parent who could take her
place.

"It's really pretty simple...." Coach T. began.