- Text Size +
Dotty stood staring out the living room window. She'd been waiting for the
mailman to deliver the latest catalog from Rebecca's Fantasy for the past
week. It had to arrive today if she wanted to get something new for her trip
with
Kurt.

She spotted her quarry just leaving Edna's home. Grabbing her coat, she
yelled up stairs "Amanda, I'm going to get the mail," and dashed down the walk
meet the letter carrier at the front gate.

She tucked the envelopes under her arm and thumbed through the lingerie
magazine mentally picking out a few interesting items.

After placing her order over the phone, Dotty looked at the rest of the
mail. Nothing remarkable just a few bills.Then she came across a cream colored
envelope with some fancy, scrolled writing on it, addressed to Amanda. Curious,
she held it up to the light to try and see what was inside. No such luck. The
paper quality was too good. There was only one way she would know what was
inside.

"Amanda, you have mail," she called.

Her daughter came down the stairs and headed to the kitchen.

"Here" Dotty handed her the envelope and stood over Amanda's shoulder as she
opened the missive.

Lady Emily
Farnsworth
Requests The Honor of Your
Presence
At The Annual
Christmas Ball
On Saturday, the
twenty-second of December
Nineteen Hundred and
Eighty Four
Eight O'clock in the
Evening
British Embassy,
Washington, D. C

"Oh, Amanda, that sounds wonderful. I wonder if Mr. Stetson got an
invitation? Oh, I'm sure he did. What are you wearing? I think you should were
something spectacular. Maybe, that little black dress. Oh, no, it's a ball,
you'll
need to wear a gown. I wonder if Prince Charles and Princess Diana will be
there? Oh, this is so exciting. Come on Amanda, let's go shopping. We need to
find something to knock the socks off Mr. Stetson."

"Mother!"

"I know, Amanda, he's just your boss." Dotty rolled her eyes in disbelief.
"Go and get your coat and let's find you a gown."

End.