- Text Size +
Sue let me play with adding to her story. To refresh everyone's memory I'm posting her part along with mine so that it will flow easily. At least I hope that's what it does.

Sue's Story

Amanda squirmed in the wooden chair. Her butt was numb, and she hoped she wouldn't have to sit here much longer.

Each moment she sat in the dingy gray office increased the chance of someone recognizing her.

What if her mother found out she was here?

What would she tell her?

Amanda had no idea. She couldn't tell Mother the truth. She'd promised Debbie she wouldn't tell a soul.

When the door creaked open, her heart pounded. She quickly turned in her chair and raised an outdated magazine to cover her face.

Peeking under the magazine, she watched as a pair of shoes walked across the stained carpet and stopped in front of the nurse's desk.

Butterflies danced in her stomach as she strained to hear the newcomer's voice. When she finally heard the unfamiliar voice, her breath escaped in a relieved sigh.

Once again, she asked herself how she'd let Debbie talk her into coming here. Then she remembered Debbie sobbing on her shoulder and begging her to help, repeatedly crying, "I NEED YOU TO COME WITH ME. I can't do this alone. You're my best friend."

And because they were best friends, Amanda had agreed to come to the clinic with Debbie. Resigned to waiting a bit longer, she settled back in the uncomfortable chair and prayed that Debbie would be all right.

My addition

Amanda gave herself a mental smack. After Debbie had pleaded with her to accompany her on this trip, she'd only agreed if they could find a clinic far enough away from the prying eyes of friends, relatives and anyone else that might recognize them. That's why she'd insisted on driving to this particular Planned Parenthood clinic. It was on the outskirts of Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. The furthest she felt safe to drive having just gotten her drivers license a few months before. Even then she'd taken the back roads to get there. She still wasn't comfortable driving on highways, yet.

She squirmed in her chair again and tried to read the article in the outdated magazine. But the thoughts of why there were here in the first place, kept coming to the forefront of her mind.

Debbie had told Amanda she thought she was pregnant. She was late and she never was late before, her cycle was always exactly twenty-eight days. At first Amanda had been unable to speak, she'd been that stunned at her best friend's revelation. But what really made Amanda mad was Debbie's no good boyfriend. When Debbie had told him of her plight, he'd hightailed it as fast as he could out of her life, telling her it was her responsibility. When she'd called his dorm room his roommate had told her he'd dropped out of school. It seemed like older boys were just as jerky as boys their own age.

If the results came back positive, Amanda would be there for her friend. She'd support her in any decision she made. Going through this with her made Amanda even more determined that she wouldn't give up her virginity lightly. Maybe even wait till marriage. Of course, she couldn't predict the future. All she knew was that at seventeen years of age she didn't want to have to worry about bringing another life into the world.

"Amanda."

Amanda looked up. "Debbie." Her friend stood before her smiling.

"False alarm."

She could hear the sigh of relief in Debbie's voice. "Let's go home."

"I have to talk to one of the nurses before I can leave. I wanted to let you know. I should be back in a few minutes."

"Okay." Amanda stood and stretched her back. She looked back at the hard chair and decided not to sit back down. Debbie would be ready soon and she still had to drive them back to Arlington. She needed the circulation to return to her rear end before she attempted that trip.

She smiled at the nurse at the front desk as she walked around the room. On her third lap she saw two teenage boys enter the clinic. Boys? What in the world were they doing here?

"Over there." The tallest of the boys pointed.

Amanda looked over to where they were making their way and saw a huge bowl sitting on nurse's desk. She noticed it earlier but hadn't paid any attention to it.

The taller boy reached in and pulled his hand out. He clutched several foil wrapped packages. She thought it had held candy. Boy had she been mistaken.

Condoms.

"I told ya they had them here for free," the tall boy said.

At least they were practicing safe sex. Amanda felt her face redden and quickly turned around so that she wasn't facing them.

"Hi. What's your name?"

Amanda couldn't believe it. Debbie had come out and was flirting with the blonde boy. Hadn't she learned anything? You don't hop from one relationship to another. Especially, after the scare she'd just gone through. She'll get a bad reputation. She told herself she'd tell Debbie exactly that on the ride home.

"I NEED YOU TO COME WITH ME." Amanda grabbed Debbie by the arm.

"Not so fast." She shook off Amanda's hand. "I'm giving Tommy my phone number."

The boy grabbed a pen from the nurse's desk and wrote her number in ink on his hand. "Thanks."

Amanda quickly turned and ran smack into the other boy.

"Sorry."

"That's okay." The boy with the light brown hair winked.

"Come one, Lee lets get out of here. Cindi's waiting for you." His friend punched him in the shoulder.