- Text Size +
The Heat of the Flames

"Come on Amanda, you can do it."

"No—I can't... Lee, I'm scared." Her voice cracked, the strain of the last few hours finally showing. She was frozen in place, unable to move, unable to take the next needed step...

"Me too, but we can't stay here."

"I know ..." She turned her tear streaked face towards the approaching flames. The smoke was stinging her eyes, burning her nose and throat. A hot wind, emanating from the fire, danced across her face.

"Amanda—look at me. Focus on my voice. I promise that you won't fall. Just take my hand and look straight ahead."

She bit her lip and cast a wary glance at the make shift bridge. It was just a plank spanning the gorge in front of them. The wood was weathered with age and she had severe doubts as to its ability to support the weight of both of them.

Looking down, she eyed the sharp rocks and the rushing water far below. Being no judge of distance, she couldn't say how deep it was. All she knew was that if they fell, it was a long way down. There would be no chance of survival.

Lee took her face in his hands and forced her to look at him. He was covered in soot and sweat, his eyes red rimmed. When he spoke, his voice was rough from the smoke he'd inhaled yet his words were calm and slowly delivered, offering reassurance.

"Amanda, I NEED YOU TO COME WITH ME right now. The fire's getting closer and this is our only way out. I'm going to take your hand and start crossing the bridge. Just walk slowly and keep your eyes on my back. We'll be fine."

She stared deeply into his eyes, drawing strength from his steady gaze and then gave a quick nod. Lee flashed his brilliant smile, then gave her a quick peck on the cheek before grabbing her hand and stepping onto the tiny bridge. He moved carefully yet confidently, talking softly to her the whole time.

Focusing on his voice and the back of his head, she cautiously took the first shuffling steps. When the plank wobbled, she froze. Lee gently tugged on her hand and she licked her dry lips, swallowing down her fear. Step after interminable step, she followed behind him. The roar of the approaching fire grew louder and she had to strain her ears to hear Lee's voice.

"Just a little farther...we're almost there...keep walking..."

Suddenly Amanda realized she was standing on solid ground again. Lee drew her into his arms and gave her a big hug. "That's my girl. I knew you could do it.

She relaxed in his arms and hugged him back relieved to have survived the ordeal. All too soon he let her go.

`Come on. We have to keep moving." He cast a worried look over her shoulder, then held out his hand once again. She took it and wearily fell into step beside him.

Even as they hiked down the gentle slope, bits of soot and embers floated down around them. Amanda knew it was only a matter of time before the fire crossed the gorge. Its presence had only offered them a momentary advantage.

The terrain was too rough to allow them to run, even if they had the energy. Strewn with rocks, branches and underbrush, the forest floor forced them to watch every step to avoid twisting an ankle or falling.

Casting a glance over her shoulder, Amanda saw the billows of smoke rising into the sky, blocking out the sun. The heat of the flames caused the air to shimmer and the tree trunks appeared to be dancing to sound of the crackling fire.

"Lee—I think it's gaining on us."

He paused for a moment to assess the situation while they both caught their breath. His eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched. "I think you're right."

"We're not going to make it to the lake in time are we?" Amanda tried to keep her voice steady, her fear hidden.

Lee squeezed her hand and shook his head. Their eyes met in silent acknowledgement of the truth.